Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple (edit: OK, a number) of comments....

AL's twin: Has anyone seen him? Was he at the family press conference? Why has he not spoken up in the media? Is he living year round in Mazatlan?

Photos: Yes, those driver's license photos are not great, but why haven't other family photos, showing the true loved personality of AL and KL, been provided to the media?

Search in Airdrie: Some posters have suggested that the search might be a diversion to media, etc. I really can't imagine the tremendous amount of resources (K9, forensics labs, divers, fire department, ambulances, general search staff, etc.) being used for just a diversion. Every government is under budget pressures. I just don't see why it wouldn't be more modest, if it was a diversion. OTH, I just don't get why they are searching so extensively on the adjacent properties. What are they looking for? Why do they have so many resources focused there if they don't have very specific and critical leads?

The "estate sale": No one is going make many bucks selling their old furniture. This seems either like a sign of desperation or a 'signal' to someone. The potential 'saving face' aspect seems to ring true to me. Did they really buy a property in Edmonton? Could they really afford one or is that just what they told family members and neighbours to save face?

Please let these three people be found safe! I'm still holding out hope. I actually want AL and KL to be scammers and to have taken off with their beloved grandson, because that is the best possible outcome.

A couple (edit: OK, a number) of comments....

AL's twin: Has anyone seen him? Was he at the family press conference? Why has he not spoken up in the media? Is he living year round in Mazatlan? Did they really buy a property in Edmonton? Could they really afford one or is that just what they told family members and neighbours to save face?

Please let these three people be found safe! I'm still holding out hope. I actually want AL and KL to be scammers and to have taken off with their beloved grandson, because that is the best possible outcome.

When referring to AL's twin, (property in Mazatlan) it was in the past tense. I was under the impression that it had been sold:

(Reporter)Is there any reason why they chose Mexico and why specifically Mazatlan? Did they own property down there? Were they planning to by property?

It was family property. There were other family members who lived down there.
(JO) My dad's twin brother owned a place down there and lots of family members actually vacation there. So..

(reporter)So do they know a lot of people already..

(RO) They do.
(JO) Yeah, yeah, so that's was, that was a recent property that they, they bought to spend their winters out there and be with family. Bring us out for holidays.

Regarding property in Edmonton. Unless we know the address of the house they bought we can't know for sure. If the address had been published (likely never) then we could find out via Geowarehouse https://www.geowarehouse.ca/marketing/features.php and via the city of Edmonton (municipal taxes/registry) who, what, when and how much.

I just checked my posts on the other site and never referenced AM, they all say about 5 with no mention of AM or PM so to clarify I saw her around 5PM. Also I never said the driver looked like the Grandfather I said Caucasian, above shoulder length blond hair, late 30's. This is how crazy theories get started.

Yes, Yankee Valley west does link up to the back highways that would lead you to Spyhill but from my time of spotting and the time they were at the acreage it doesn't make sense, also I'm sure spyhill closes at 5PM on Fridays. Airdrie has its own Garbage transfer site that possibly gets transported to Spy Hill, I would be interested to see if they checked there.

DANGEROSS

Thank-you for your posts. I missed them all entirely, as I have been unable to follow this case closely the last few days, but did so greatly the first week.

You say HER in the post above. Was it a female driving the green truck - not trying to start another crazy theory, just trying to clarify.

Also, in the last thread you mention that the Garlands were burning garbage the entire day on Wednesday, July 2, 2014, and that was unusual. The burning struck their neighbour - and your friend- unusual, and I assume that is because they also observed the green house lights on in the middle of the night, that would be Tuesday, July 1st. Are these dates that I have here correct?

Here is your quote regarding this subject from Thread 2. Given the search of the landfill today, I thought it prudent to mention this now, and I am also very interested in your opinion on what you think may have happened in this case.

Thanks, again.

A friend of mine lives very very close to the acreage, he mentioned today (and to the police of course) on Tuesday night he woke in the middle of the night and noticed the lights on in the greenhouse at the acreage which struck him as odd, he said they always burn their garbage also and the following morning they were burning garbage the entire day. None of this would be completely out of the ordinary without knowing the circumstances we know now.

Well, this one is not as good as the other one.

View attachment 54527
Something weird about this pic as it looks more like a painting that might be for sale by an "artist" than a POI's pic coming up in front of a judge! What's with the background fill in? lol But just me thinking out loud and JMO

HOW COME a recent picture of Douglas Garland hasn't been released to the public asking if anyone had seen him since the estate sale date and if so please contact and state where? The only picture they have of him seems when he was younger, as the artist sketch shows him much older and gray. I guess because he's only a person of interest? Has anyone seen a recent picture? Thank you.

Question of the Day. Reporters?

Question of the Day. Reporters?

I'm not a reporter, but I have a few ideas as to why.

Because he attended court via video so no opp to get an up-to-date image of him arriving.

Maybe because the ID/license he had was under another name?

Being a loner there are no other pictures forthcoming from "friends and family". Therefore, if/until he's charged, the old mug shot is too dated.

I believe this refers to EL and her ex boyfriend shooting her. Here is a link to one of the articles pertaining to it.

Should also mention EL is AL's daughter from first marriage.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/11/3...an-saved-by-breast-implants-ruled-an-accident

Hey no! Just because you get out your beretta and shoot someone doesn't *prove* you were trying to *kill* the person! What IS this world coming to anyway?? The man was 61 years old.. how old was the woman (who is supposed to be AL's daughter?)?

I am not comfortable with the media 'rushing to judgment' with all these incriminating little details about Douglas Garland.
I don't care if he makes meth or not. It's all over the country now anyway, and no, I don't use it. But last week somebody in town near here crashed his car because he was high on the stuff. And using a phony identity? Maybe he used the dead boy's name online, people, as an alias.
It's not that unusual a practice. So the LE guys through the media seem to be ruining this man's life because he is a loner, and they are spreading
rumors about a 'bad blood' business deal -- capitalizing on the fact there was a mysterious marking that could have been blood outside the house.
Give me a break. I am not getting in this wagon to the country fair. Take everybody else for a ride, but not me.
Life of DG, anyone wanna start a timeline?

Attention Deficit Disorder
“20-plus years” of property offences and contributing “mental issues”
Never married, not a father

expelled from U of A - cheating
1st mental breakdown
1988 - possession of a prohibited weapon - dismissed
1989 - assault - stayed
1992 - manufacture of LSD and methamphetamine
1993 - skipped bail
1993 - identity theft (MKH SIN and DL)
1996 - lied about having a B.Sc. to employer
1997 - nervous breakdown/fired
1999 - possession of a prohibited weapon - withdrawn
1999 - stolen tractor trailer
2000 - sentenced 2 drug trafficking charges (1992), possession of stolen property (1999?)
2014 - identity theft
2014 - possessing a TD bank card obtained by a criminal act

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...dparents-has-well-honed-sense-of-entitlement/
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/0...sing-family-case-to-face-new-unrelated-charge
http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...2005/03/03/garland-v-m-n-r-2005-tcc-176.shtml
http://www.norfolknews.ca/news-story/4621423-calgary-police-probe-other-leads-in-amber-alert/

Re the bank card and speculation on my part.

Is it possible that money was transferred into POIs account (payment for services rendered). From whom? AL? (settle a score) LE want to know where he is/went. POI was basically a "driver". All were alive last time he saw them... Hence charge that he was in possession of "stolen" bank card (another identity) but not the cash, per se. And no charges related to NO and grandparents because there is no evidence that any have been killed.

I haven't had too much time to spend here the past couple days and don't know if this article has been posted yet, but found these snippets from CB's article interesting. Interesting...so I wonder if he had ever been in an automobile accident or was using that as some sort of excuse for gaining sympathy or an excuse for his mental state. JMO.

Under an “accelerated parole review” program, which no longer exists, Garland was eligible for parole after serving just a sixth of his 39-month sentence.

But the documents also refer to several criminal charges for violence Garland once faced, a two-decades long record for property offences and ongoing “mental health concerns.”

A Postmedia News story from the drugs trial noted that the meth cook, as drug makers are called, had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating.

Yet some who knew Garland in those days say they never heard of him being involved in such an accident.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

I wonder if he had pangs of guilt in stealing a teen's identity after the teen being tragically killed in a car crash, and the guilt caused him to feel somehow that he caused the accident. Far fetched, I know.
From the article:
"According to what Judge Campbell Miller heard, Garland suffered a breakdown while at the University of Alberta, and “also seems to have been traumatized by causing what he described as a horrific accident due to falling asleep at the wheel.”
(This even though people who knew him at the time knew of no such accident involving DG)

I think there is a lot of redirect by LE going on in this case. Obviously they have reason for it but it does lead to lots of speculation when they do it. I almost get the feeling that some of the farm searching is to purposely keep the focus on an area and away from another. Whether it's just another farm area or another search area entirely, I guess only time will show us. But it's like a magic show in some ways of " watch here" , not there. Follow this tidbit not that one. Let's hope that in the end it leads to the person or persons responsible for this being found and convicted.

I agree.

Re the bank card and speculation on my part.

Is it possible that money was transferred into POIs account (payment for services rendered). From whom? AL? (settle a score) LE want to know where he is/went. POI was basically a "driver". All were alive last time he saw them... Hence charge that he was in possession of "stolen" bank card (another identity) but not the cash, per se.

There has been no information regarding the account balances, transactions, dates or otherwise. I assume those details will be investigated, and be presented at any trial, and may even lead to different charges or dismissal.

Here's something else to consider. Three people live on the acreage. If there are k-9 hits, evidence of any sort related to this case (or maybe others?) the Crown is going to have a heck of a time prosecuting just one 'tenant'. Kind of like having one computer for umpteen family members and there being c. *advertiser censored* on the hard drive and pointing a finger at just one user.

jmo

Life of DG, anyone wanna start a timeline?

Attention Deficit Disorder
“20-plus years” of property offences and contributing “mental issues”
Never married, not a father

expelled from U of A - cheating
1st mental breakdown
1988 - possession of a prohibited weapon - dismissed
1989 - assault - stayed
1992 - manufacture of LSD and methamphetamine
1993 - skipped bail
1993 - identity theft (MKH SIN and DL)
1996 - lied about having a B.Sc. to employer
1997 - nervous breakdown/fired
1999 - possession of a prohibited weapon - withdrawn
1999 - stolen tractor trailer
2000 - sentenced 2 drug trafficking charges (1992), possession of stolen property (1999?)
2014 - identity theft
2014 - possessing a TD bank card obtained by a criminal act

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...dparents-has-well-honed-sense-of-entitlement/
http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/0...sing-family-case-to-face-new-unrelated-charge
http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/...2005/03/03/garland-v-m-n-r-2005-tcc-176.shtml
http://www.norfolknews.ca/news-story/4621423-calgary-police-probe-other-leads-in-amber-alert/

Busy boy!!!
:eek:

There has been no information regarding the account balances, transactions, dates or otherwise. I assume those details will be investigated, and be presented at any trial, and may even lead to different charges.

Agreed. My point was the TD *bank* card. (money) Maybe money changed hands. No doubt LE was investigating the L's finances, etc., and they followed a transaction to that specific account.

It's just speculation on my part. Interesting that money (bank card (under another identity)) comes into play again, though.

LE is definitely treating POI with kid gloves. Maintaining his privacy, protecting him from having to appear in person, repeating at every opportunity that he is just a person of interest.
Someone posted re: the judge that ruled Eileen L's shooting a 'mistake'. I don't want to sound like an old crone, but is this really where we're at? I could never do the thankless job of law enforcement.

IMO An air ambulance would only be dispatched if the person(s) were in need of dire care in the sense that the ground time to hospital is could be a detrimental factor to the outcome or the closest hospital is not equipped to assist the person hurt. Im from Manitoba and we are serviced by STARS as well there is criteria for dispatch in place as its a costly endeavor (just reported that its $300,000 a call)

My impression is quite different. Air ambulance helicopter seems to be scrambled instantly whenever a remote emergency is called if it's idle and available. Then if they determine it isn't needed it can always shut down on the pad or turn around and go back, but they want to make sure no time is wasted. I think they also want the crews to be at constant readiness and well practiced.

The real world cost would not be $300,000 per call. They use these every day for transferring patients from one hospital to another for example.

You might be thinking of the ongoing scandal/issues regarding Manitoba STARS ambulance. It was grounded due to various issues that I won't go into here, but that meant the annual cost of $10 million continued even though very few flights are being made due to the issues. The average that came out to $720,000 per flight, but that's not because a flight actually costs $720,000, it's because they were grounded so much.

There's also funny economics involved. If the government can save $50 million in remote areas by downgrading their emergency type hospitals to lower care facilities, they don't mind "wasting" $20 million on helicopters to take people to the big city hospital emergency wards. (Each flight might seem wasteful but there's an overall cost saving.)

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/04/15/21607116.html

http://www.intrepid247.com/tips-resources/travelling-within-canada

"The cost of an air ambulance could cost $2,700 an hour in British Columbia, and nearly $3,000 per hour in Quebec."

"From one coast of Canada to the other, the cost of an air ambulance with a full team (i.e., doctor, nurse, and respiratory therapist) can be as high as $48,000. And if an Ontario resident needs an air ambulance back from Quebec, for example, it can cost up to $15,000."

They tweet whenever they dispatch, and it's constant:

http://twitter.com/STARSambulance

I hope LE really has some evidence here....it might be less of a mystery than the first day to them but so far it doesnt look like much from here!

Praying that this family gets answers soon!

Agreed. My point was the TD *bank* card. (money) Maybe money changed hands. No doubt LE was investigating the L's finances, etc., and they followed a transaction to that specific account.

It's just speculation on my part. Interesting that money (bank card (under another identity)) comes into play again, though.

"Originally, Garland had been charged with identity theft, but he now faces an additional charge of possession of a stolen credit card."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1440571/person-of-interest-in-missing-calgary-family-to-appear-in-court/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298