Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they using dogs at the landfill? I havnt heard anything.
I cannot fathom what they could be looking for that can be found with a 5ft pole? I doubt they are expecting to happen upon a person so what are they looking for/expecting to find?! Are they just ticking boxes by being seen to search here?
Unless, its a diversion...I wonder if there is a larger gathering of LE somewhere else & the '7 officers' searching the landfill are a decoy?

It is unbearably hot here today, I feel for those searchers.

Amber Alert Update:

Update # 4

The Amber Alert remains in effect and police continue to appeal for any information relating to the disappearance of the family members.

The Calgary Police Service and the RCMP continue to search a property in Airdrie in relation to the missing persons investigation.

Investigators would like to emphasize, as mentioned during a press conference yesterday, property owners in rural areas outside Calgary are asked to please check their properties for anything suspicious. Companies who own rural sites, such as well sites, are also asked to please check their properties for anything that may be out of the ordinary.

Police would like to thank the public and the media for their ongoing support and co-operation in what is a complex ongoing investigation

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/alerts/2014/07/2581.html

CTV Calgary @CTVCalgary
Extended: Police search Spyhill and Airdrie acreage for missing #yyc family: http://bit.ly/1toF46S #yyc

BsIcsUpCQAEhJSi.jpg

https://twitter.com/CTVCalgary

The "estate sale" could just be cover for we're too embarrassed to admit we're up to our ears in debt to their circle of family/friends. Why would you have an estate sale to move to Edmonton? Would be cheaper to rent a moving truck than get pennies on the dollar for your furniture.

Hi, smooth. Can you explain this better to me. Who is "they're" and "their husband's family."

A Liknes is married (common law) to a Douglas and that family member told media that the business deal between AL and DG didn't end on a sour note. Other members if the L family told media that it DID in fact.

If I'm mistaken, please let me know. Hard to keep everything straight!

I think there is a lot of redirect by LE going on in this case. Obviously they have reason for it but it does lead to lots of speculation when they do it. I almost get the feeling that some of the farm searching is to purposely keep the focus on an area and away from another. Whether it's just another farm area or another search area entirely, I guess only time will show us. But it's like a magic show in some ways of " watch here" , not there. Follow this tidbit not that one. Let's hope that in the end it leads to the person or persons responsible for this being found and convicted.

Right, SON of AL, A Liknes, said it didn't. So are you saying he said that because he is involved with Garland's sister, and maybe just to keep the peace?

Hi, smooth. Can you explain this better to me. Who is "they're" and "their husband's family."

Just realized I switched the genders. I went back and read your comment again and saw that it was AL that made that comment not a Garland family member. Doh!

Right, SON of AL, A Liknes, said it didn't. So are you saying he said that because he is involved with Garland's sister, and maybe just to keep the peace?

Or perhaps it could be a touch of denial that there's possible involvement between the two families that went south and now two adults and a child are missing?

Just realized I switched the genders. I went back and read your comment again and saw that it was AL that made that comment not a Garland family member. Doh!

lol. oh good. I can be unclear lots of time and my posts can be confusing, even to me sometimes. lol.

When this story first broke I took a look at the three or four Kijiji ads that had been listed and was quite surprised at the prices they had for their old furniture. Also, they sold their home at what I would consider below market value and well ahead of their "anticipated" date of departure in an overly hot real estate market in Calgary. Surely a former real estate agent would have better sense and would be more aggressive in trying to get top value (unless it was a fire sale for immediate cash.)

Any Alberta realtor will tell you the early spring market is the best time to sell for top dollar. (Jan-Feb). And b/c realtors don't have a lot going on in the cold months, they pretty much drive up the value of homes by bringing them on the market higher than December values. It works every time.
It isn't relevant to this horrible scenario, but I have wondered if an Edmonton agent has come forward as having sold a home to the L's?
It's highly likely KL would have enlisted the help of an agent, and even received a tidy referral fee from this agent.
I'm not sure why the quote didn't format properly,... apologies for seemingly hyjacking your post...K

I was trying to find out the origin of the surname "Liknes" and came upon a site that showed when "Likneses" entered (or left) Canada between certain years. There are quite a few who settled in Edmonton. Personally, I would use a buyers agent if moving to another city; but, they may be acquainted with the city enough to be able to make a purchase on their own.

We simply skipped using a buyers' agent and just used our lawyer to complete the purchase of our home. The seller's agent will do the paperwork and forward to the buyers lawyer, but they will not counsel you regarding the pro's/con's of your purchase.

All that to say, AL has eight other siblings and maybe some of his family lives in Edmonton and they know the area so went ahead without an agent.

Purely speculation on my part.

When this story first broke I took a look at the three or four Kijiji ads that had been listed and was quite surprised at the prices they had for their old furniture. Also, they sold their home at what I would consider below market value and well ahead of their "anticipated" date of departure in an overly hot real estate market in Calgary. Surely a former real estate agent would have better sense and would be more aggressive in trying to get top value (unless it was a fire sale for immediate cash.)

Any Alberta realtor will tell you the early spring market is the best time to sell for top dollar. (Jan-Feb). And b/c realtors don't have a lot going on in the cold months, they pretty much drive up the value of homes by bringing them on the market higher than December values. It works every time.
It isn't relevant to this horrible scenario, but I have wondered if an Edmonton agent has come forward as having sold a home to the L's?
It's highly likely KL would have enlisted the help of an agent, and even received a tidy referral fee from this agent.
I'm not sure why the quote didn't format properly,... apologies for seemingly hyjacking your post...K

December being the end of the year for personal taxes may factor into a financial decision.

I remember a friend of mine telling me that her ex-husband had pressured her to sign financial documents - by a specific date - that related to the split up of a company they shared when their marriage went south - at the advice of his accountant (for tax 'savings' reasons).

Just an idea and only my opinion.

<rsbm>

IMO, they won't bring in dogs ... too many contaminants, way too dangerous for the furbabes.

Its not unusual for dogs to be used to search landfill. They used them looking for Hayley Dunn, Joshua Summeries and others. Dogs have PPE to keep them safe, just like humans do.

While we wait for things to progress, let's look at some of the theories that have been bounced around here:

1. DG came by the L's home after the estate sale to settle a financial score, takes all 3 against their will, who knows what happened after that.....
2. After a domestic dispute gone too far, AL calls on DG to come help him out of a 'jam', maybe owes him a favor? (AL takes NO as he's a witness to the crime?)
3. Both L's skip town in hopes of disappearing due to financial woes, DG is framed. (again, why take NO?)
4. Both L's fled after unfortunate accident which physically harms/maybe worse NO. (I'm not buying that)
5. Someone mentioned a 'Casey Anthony' scenario....

Feel free to add to the list. :coffeews:

While we wait for things to progress, let's look at some of the theories that have been bounced around here:

1. DG came by the L's home after the estate sale to settle a financial score, takes all 3 against their will, who knows what happened after that.....
2. After a domestic dispute gone too far, AL calls on DG to come help him out of a 'jam', maybe owes him a favor? (AL takes NO as he's a witness to the crime?)
3. Both L's skip town in hopes of disappearing due to financial woes, DG is framed. (again, why take NO?)
4. Both L's fled after unfortunate accident which physically harms/maybe worse NO. (I'm not buying that)

smh at everything except #1 since that's the only one that we actually have some information to potentially support. Everything else is pretty out there at this point.

I know that here in Ontario, after a family member was found in her home an abulance was called and she was taken to the hospital where a Doctor was the one to pernounce her time of death.
My wife who is a RN with a home care Nursing company has been called to pronounce a death within a home and the body is typically taken to the Hospital Morgue.

Im providing this info not as a speculation as to the reason why the ambulances are at the property but for information to the question.

No speculation on my part.

I am an RN in Ontario who does home care. Nurse can only pronounce in cases of expected death in the home and the body is transferred directly from the home to the funeral home.

6. A kidnapping, and a ransom demand that has not been made public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UK Feline