Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you, Andromeda. But how do we know for sure that Alvin wasn't an upstanding citizen? Did I miss something?
I know Calgary/Edmonton intimately, and know for sure that the 'new money' families of the oil patch do not own furniture from the 1980's, or live in homes that have never been remodelled. In Calgary, kids throw away last year's bike when they get a new one. Successful people don't overprice a plant they have had for 20 years, and try to sell it for extra $$(as per the L's Kijiji ad)
The real estate business as well as multi-level marketing, and "most" entrepreneurs are gamblers, always looking ahead and usually highly motivated to make their simple or financially troubled lives better. They DO tap into their 'centre of influence, or warm market' and that is a huge part of it all of the above mentioned businesses. People are intrigued by the idea of creating wealth in these particular industries.
I can't speak for the oil business, but know that people with a lot more financial clout than AL have lost in that particular game, and recently.
I don't believe the L's were walking away wealthy, as much as they may have wanted to give that impression.
I think of them as 'wannabe' entrepreneurs who used the value of their home as leverage, and it just didn't work out.

These are all good points Krystine.
When this story first broke I took a look at the three or four Kijiji ads that had been listed and was quite surprised at the prices they had for their old furniture. Also, they sold their home at what I would consider below market value and well ahead of their "anticipated" date of departure in an overly hot real estate market in Calgary. Surely a former real estate agent would have better sense and would be more aggressive in trying to get top value (unless it was a fire sale for immediate cash.)

The various financial bits of information which have been surfacing makes me wondering if poor or weak finances have any relation to the O Brien family not putting forth the $100,000 reward that was talked about from approximately day two on wards.

Why does the timeline on this twitter feed say Wed. July 9, 7:49PM?

Maybe the person that took the screenshot is in the UK or Europe, it's 9.42pm here now, on my twitter feed on my iPhone it shows the tweets as 'my time'

I was thinking back to the first pics of the farm and there was a truck that looked green in those pics. However it looked like it had not moved in ages from the pics , at least that was the impression I got. It looked more like an abandoned truck.
So do we actually know if DG has a/ the green truck in working order and drives it ? Or was the neighbour talking about when he used to drive it ??
Just wondering because if that truck is abandoned / non working then that means we have another green truck out there and possibly another driver.

That is not the truck they took away, just another one that happened to be on the farm.

When this story first broke I took a look at the three or four Kijiji ads that had been listed and was quite surprised at the prices they had for their old furniture. Also, they sold their home at what I would consider below market value and well ahead of their "anticipated" date of departure in an overly hot real estate market in Calgary. Surely a former real estate agent would have better sense and would be more aggressive in trying to get top value (unless it was a fire sale for immediate cash.)

Any Alberta realtor will tell you the early spring market is the best time to sell for top dollar. (Jan-Feb). And b/c realtors don't have a lot going on in the cold months, they pretty much drive up the value of homes by bringing them on the market higher than December values. It works every time.
It isn't relevant to this horrible scenario, but I have wondered if an Edmonton agent has come forward as having sold a home to the L's?
It's highly likely KL would have enlisted the help of an agent, and even received a tidy referral fee from this agent.
I'm not sure why the quote didn't format properly,... apologies for seemingly hyjacking your post...K

Any Alberta realtor will tell you the early spring market is the best time to sell for top dollar. (Jan-Feb). And b/c realtors don't have a lot going on in the cold months, they pretty much drive up the value of homes by bringing them on the market higher than December values. It works every time.
It isn't relevant to this horrible scenario, but I have wondered if an Edmonton agent has come forward as having sold a home to the L's?
It's highly likely KL would have enlisted the help of an agent, and even received a tidy referral fee from this agent.

The "move to Mexico, no move to Edmonton, no spend time in Edmonton then move to Mexico, no spend time in Mexico then move to Edmonton" story has yet to be confirmed.

This is consistent, however, with the reward-no reward story. So many personal interests involved... Such a mess.

<rsbm>

How would KL receive a referral fee on the L's purchase of a home in Edmonton? Referral fee is when you refer someone else to an agent.

One thing that has always creeped me out, was the fact the grandparents' pictures have that 'mug shot' quality to them.

Does anyone think it odd that Allen Liknes who is involved/married to Garland's sister said to a reporter that business dealings between his father and Garland didn't end on a bad note, but other media is reporting it did (apparently by family members)?

<rsbm>

How would KL receive a referral fee on the L's purchase of a home in Edmonton? Referral fee is when you refer someone else to an agent.
It's not central to this situation, but yes, if you offer your business to another licensed agent in an area you don't know well, even if it's you that is buying, the arrangement includes a referral fee.

Does anyone think it odd that Allen Liknes who is involved/married to Garland's sister said to a reporter that business dealings between his father and Garland didn't end on a bad note, but other media is reporting it did (apparently by family members)?

Not really...they're defending their husband's family. It might not be right, but it's been done before.

The "move to Mexico, no move to Edmonton, no spend time in Edmonton then move to Mexico, no spend time in Mexico then move to Edmonton" story has yet to be confirmed.

This is consistent, however, with the reward-no reward story. So many personal interests involved... Such a mess.

Add that to the list.

Reply to Post #644 Cherchri Hi back from 2 days away and come back to see there will be a consent to release of POI>>DG? Hmm must not have much on him at the moment. I hope he will be watched carefully just in case he played a part in the 3 missing people. I wonder since I read DG has ADD if he is on some sort of medication and maybe even sees a therapist? Not sure what I think at the moment as I'm trying to catch up on all the posts :)

HOW COME a recent picture of Douglas Garland hasn't been released to the public asking if anyone had seen him since the estate sale date and if so please contact and state where? The only picture they have of him seems when he was younger, as the artist sketch shows him much older and gray. I guess because he's only a person of interest? Has anyone seen a recent picture? Thank you.

I hear you, Andromeda. But how do we know for sure that Alvin wasn't an upstanding citizen? Did I miss something?
I know Calgary/Edmonton intimately, and know for sure that the 'new money' families of the oil patch do not own furniture from the 1980's, or live in homes that have never been remodelled. In Calgary, kids throw away last year's bike when they get a new one. Successful people don't overprice a plant they have had for 20 years, and try to sell it for extra $$(as per the L's Kijiji ad).
The real estate business as well as multi-level marketing, attracts dreamers, ... many entrepreneurs are gamblers, looking ahead and highly motivated to make their simple or financially troubled lives better. They DO tap into their 'centre of influence, or warm market' and that is a huge part of it all of the above mentioned businesses. People are intrigued by the idea of creating wealth in these particular industries. Who has_ever_ heard of someone hitting the jackpot in MLM?
I can't speak for the oil business, but know that people with a lot more financial clout than AL have lost in that particular game, and recently.
I don't believe the L's were walking away wealthy, as much as they may have wanted to give that impression.
I think of them as 'wannabe' entrepreneurs who used the value of their home as leverage, and it just didn't work out.

Your MLM reference made me laugh. I know a few "sucked in". Buy for $1 sell for $2 and double your profit! Really? What about paying back the first $1 and interest on it, minus postage, minus packaging, minus "hostess gift", minus free with product, minus, minus, minus. I know someone in a financial MLM who is selling a "portfolio" and "mortgages" for an MLM. It makes me sick just thinking about it.

THey had an estate sale for three days and never made arrangements to be in a hotel at the end of it. Why not? Were they being threatened? Was it a sign to whomever that they didn't have "anything" of worth/benefiting from whatever venture they sold someone on.

Having a three-day estate sale of all your stuff and not making arrangements ahead of time to be someplace else at the end of it, in of itself has never made sense to me. Except that it screamed they couldn't afford to be in a hotel/waste whatever they earned. (And not selling their stuff to an estate auctioneer and have them cart it all away meant they didn't want to 'lose' any $$ on the transaction.) But they had two new properties to "retire" to.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member