Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Q ... what is the 'LE' ?

mrazda71 - Question everything ...

At that first presser with NO's Mom and Dad, I saw a Mom who was almost in a trance-like state, caused by fear, pain and going through the worst nightmare of her life.....and trying her best to focus and keep it together so that she could give her message to her little boy, so he could hear her voice and be comforted by it, wherever he was, particularly if there was any chance he could hear her. I suspect as is often the case in such a horrific tragedy, that she was possibly given something to calm her down (Ativan? Xanax? Valium?)............whereas her hubby was very emotional because like most men, he probably wouldn't have agreed to take anything............and everyone is different, different personalities, different ways of coping or expressing fear and hurt. My guess is that the real stark reality of the situation hit him 10-fold there at the presser.........making the unbelievable horrifically believable. Most parents never in their lives have to stand up before a crowd of reporters and strangers and law enforcement, surrounding the suspicious disappearance of their sweet child....IMO.

Please put yourself in the Mother's shoes. At the time of the press conference, we can assume they all knew of the "business" dealings and failures of her Mother's husband, and chances are, they also suspect that played a part in the disappearances. They were probably not allowed to speak publicly about it. (Reward-noreward scenario)

NO's Mother was also the one that chose to leave NO there.

I think it's safe to speculate that there might be some bitterness and blame on his part, given the issue at hand is coming from her side of the family. Her "guilt" might be self imposed. His lack of comforting her, and her seeking some, seems more like a strained relationship, than an act of guilty parties.

I wondered about a strained relationship as well. Only Nathan's father was in court for the hearing on Monday. During the press conference, Nathan's father said that Nathan was the "glue" that held the family together. What happens to the family without the glue? The fact that the father contacted media the day after the abduction to state that they would announce a $100,000 reward - it was never formally announced - suggests that they had a pretty good idea at the outset that money could be behind the abduction. They probably knew that there was some questionable financial dealings with the missing couple.

By the way, can someone please lead me to where I can find the information about AL's vehicle being taken in for examination? I missed that one, and I'm finding it difficult to find. TY!

I can't easily find the article anymore, but there is a photo of the truck being loaded onto a flat bed truck. It was on the same day that photos of the green truck were released ... perhaps on July 4.

OK so on that image the back of the truck is open and clearly there are not bodies in it. Perhaps if the truck was seen several times leaving the area is because (I hate typing this) each body was individually loaded into the front passenger seat and he took two or three trips to wherever.

Ugh I am so sad for this family and that innocent little boy :(

If that were the case, Calgary police would have shared more with the public about their findings, as they have had the truck for almost a week. If DG is the only perp involved, LE would have no reason to be so tight lipped
Or is it the policy of Calgary police to share very little about an investigation as it unfolds?

A smart killer wouldn't use bank card during such a crucial time period. He wouldn't want to leave any trace of his activities and whereabouts during that time od. peri

And whoever took the 3 people would have plenty of CASH from the Liknes's garage sales.

From a couple of first hand accounts, and from the Kijiji ads for the items for sale, I have a strong feeling the garage sale would have been a bust. The dated furnishings, which would have been the bigger ticket items, were the kind you see put out on the curb for free, on moving day.
Would a petty criminal hoping to score maybe a few hundred dollars morph into a triple murderer? Not likely.

Morning folks, just woke up to see many pages added to the thread... I sifted thru quickly, doesn't look like much is new? I thought I read last night that DG was released? is this true?

It's almost like they are throwing spaghetti at a wall to see what will stick. My God, is that all they have?

I have faith in our LE, but......

Well, it's a staight-up, simple charge ... not a ton of paperwork, not a huge burden of proof. It keeps him where they want him until they have Big Paperwork charges ready to go.

I dont know what has happened to these people. I dont agree with everyone here, but I do respect the amount of time and effort everyone has put into trying to find any little clue that might make a difference.

I'd just like to say that I am 1000% behind NO's family (yes I meant the 1000, exaggerating on purpose). In the press conference, I saw a woman who either sucked it up and did what she needed to do for her son, or completely lost it. I believe she was comforting her husband because she thought he needed it; she is a mother who nurtures first. I think if anyone had comforted her, she probably would have lost it. I dont put much trust in trying to interpret peoples use of tense. Too many people get tense wrong at the best of times, much less in a bad situation.

Agreed, I'm a mother of 2 small children, not that anything like this has ever happened to my family, but I can tell you that between my husband and I, I'd be the solid one, he'd be a mess. That's just our personalities. I'm a 'take action' kind of person and seem to take total control under pressure, while my husband is just a 'deer in the headlights'. It's not fair for JO to be judged just yet based on the few minutes she spent in the public eye during the conference. We all deal with stressful situations differently, her mind is probably going a mile a minute, going over every second of the last 24 hours before this transpired.

I'm still hopeful at this point that NO is alive somewhere. Someone mentioned earlier that had NO been critically injured, he'd have been carried out rather than dragged based on his tiny body, that makes sense to me.

Morning folks, just woke up to see many pages added to the thread... I sifted thru quickly, doesn't look like much is new? I thought I read last night that DG was released? is this true?

Morning! He was "released" but is still in custody on the fake ID charges and remains a POI in this case. He's not charged with anything related to this case because there's no evidence.

Prostitutes, cocaine, other man-made lab drugs, dirty deeds? :dunno: IMO, were there is money, crime will follow. Alberta has alot of money, not like BC. :(

Yah, but not so much in Calgary. Calgary, has a rural, noble, morality and is has a safer city ranking than Vancouver.

Calgary #1 – Canada’s Most Wired City Maclean’s – 2010
Calgary # 1 (in world) – Quality of Living – Eco-City ranking Mercer – 2010
Calgary # 3 – Canada’s Smartest City Maclean’s – 2010
Calgary # 3 Major Cities Quality of Life FDI Strategy (vs. 405 cities in the Americas)
Calgary # 3 Vs. 24 global cities – Scorecard on Prosperity Conference Board of Canada 2011
Calgary # 4 – Canada’s Most Cultured City Maclean’s – 2010
Calgary #4 – Top Metro Award Site Selection Magazine – 2010
Calgary # 5 – Most Livable City in the World

If it wasn't enough to be ranked the best city in a country of 34 million, Calgary has also been ranked the 5th best city to live in the entire world by the Economist Intelligence Unit's Most Livable Cities Survey for the last three consecutive years. To think that this city of roughly 1.2 million people is one of the top five cities in a world of over 7 billion people is absolutely mind blowing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/calgary-best-city/

Like I said, I absolutely wouldn't want to cast a shadow of any kind on those poor parents, but these things have been bugging me, specifically the 'WAS' part. And yes, I thought about how the dad could perhaps be feeling, with it having been his wife who made the decision to leave the boy there (who would leave their little kid at an age that needs constant supervision during such a hectic, probably stressful time, with all kinds of strangers milling about anyway??? Wouldn't the grandparents have already had quite enough on their plates??), and also because the POI stems from her side of the family, and perhaps who knows what his general personality is like to begin with. But... if it were me in the mother's shoes, I know I would not be able to speak, nor control my tears, but I realize we are all different. Do you recall the Victoria/Tori Stafford case when the mom was speaking publicly to the media every single day, and people were thinking weird things about her potential involvement because of it? It turned out to all be wrong. I'm just having weird red flags popping up, and I'm sure they are also wrong. I just felt a need to get it out and I'm happy that WS exists so that I can do that!

I think she was on some kind of drug to keep her stable. And also she wanted to directly talk to NO so she needed to try and stay calm for him. We do not know how we as parents would react if this happened to us. I can see myself being hysterical and my husband being extremely calm.

Also regarding the sale, it was over, it was 10 pm when JO left NO, why would it be busy and hectic? NO would probably like spending 1 on 1 time with his grandparents before they were suppose to leave.

Only one photo of the truck has been published by police, but there must be more for them to state that the truck was seen several times. Based on the one photo, and lining it up with google earth imagery, this appears to be the location of the photo

That places the camera on the building on the left.

I wondered if anyone can tell what time of day the pics were taken based on shadows? Was the sun rising or setting?

Marking my spot.

ETA, Does anyone think they are still alive and well somewhere in hiding ? Could the evidence of a struggle at the home have been staged to prevent folks from looking for them ?

:) Better !

That truck looks like it is at least 20 years old. I think it would be not so likely for there to be more than one. Also old trucks like that tend to be beat up a bit and several reports said this one was immaculate.

And likely a custom paint job ...

I'm really surprised that nothing has turned up in the search. They've put a lot of man hours and equipment and money into this search to yield nothing. So, question for you super sleuthers......is it possible this property and man and truck are completely unrelated to this case?

ETA I realize a couple of parallels have been drawn but could those be coincidence ?

Marking my spot.

You don't need to do that in this manner, since it could be a tad annoying for the readers. . There is a lovely feature at the top "View First Unread". Just click on that and hey presto, you are instantly taken to your last spot.

Also regarding the sale, it was over, it was 10 pm when JO left NO, why would it be busy and hectic? NO would probably like spending 1 on 1 time with his grandparents before they were suppose to leave.

Children, even 5 year olds, are finely tuned little beings. I think that if he had sensed any tension between his grandparents, or if there had been tension in the home for some time, it would have made him uncomfortable, and he would have been reluctant to stay over, even made an excuse to go home with mum. He obviously felt he would be the centre of attention, and that it would be fun to stay over by himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro