Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really find it hard to believe that LE are pulling this farm apart based on a truck going by the property a few times and caught on CCTV...they have obviously much more evidence that would point them to DG I think but nothing that would stick without finding the victims...I really think they would not have been able to get such an extensive search warrant for this many days if it were just based on a similar truck being seen in the area. They have to have much more than we know in MO

I'm not sure they have a warrant. I think they may very well have permission from the land owner to be on the land to search it, in which case they can be there as long as they need to be.

LE removed the truck and took DG into custody Friday evening. AFAIK, there were no media pics until Saturday.

So the truck in the video is from media and so it is NOT DG's truck. If I'm following all this correctly. So we have another "supposed rare green color" truck.

So Otto do you think the aerial view of the truck we have in that video is actually of another truck? Because LE had already been there almost a full day before media even knew a search was going on, and the truck I would think was already removed from the property before media knew. So that aerial view (from a media helicopter?) is of another truck?

I do. The green truck that was seen several times near the crime scene on the night of the disappearance was removed from the Airdrie acreage on the evening of July 4. Police went to that property at 6PM specifically to collect that truck. On July 5, the media learned of the activity on the Airdrie acreage and began taking photos and video of the property. The green truck was gone before the media arrived, so green truck cannot be in the footage from July 5 (and later).

I'm not sure they have a warrant. I think they may very well have permission from the land owner to be on the land to search it, in which case they can be there as long as they need to be.

good point I never thought of them having permission from landowners hmm

JMO

Just my own observations from the Global video ....aerial photos ...the shed in question with the truck in front appears to be on the property immediately to the north of the G's property. The shed is aligned correctly along with cement pad in front as well as the row of round bales? along the east side covered in either tarpaulin or silvery plastic.

Meghan Grant @CBCMeg
Family confirms beef between Alvin Liknes & Douglas Garland over patent filed years ago by Liknes but says was Liknes' invention #cbc

https://twitter.com/CBCMeg

That's interesting. Alvin has a number of patents that he filed between 2000 and 2013. The patent in 2011 did not work. He re-filed in 2013. If he discussed that invention/design with Douglas, and if Douglas proposed anything that was implemented in the design, then Douglas should have been mentioned in the patent filing.

This must be the patent in question. I wonder if Douglas has any sketches or notes about the design that pre-date the patent application.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20130020069

Newbie posting for the first time. Hello!

I've been lurking and reading for quite some time and I think that sometimes we are assuming things that just may not be....

To be clear, LE is NOT going to divulge what evidence they actually have and in my opinion they do have some evidence. They would not be spending the time and effort tearing apart DG's acreage if they didn't have SOMETHING. It may not be enough to charge anyone with but it's a start. IMHO LE needs to be absolutely sure that they have crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's before they move in for the "kill".

LE released the CCTV shot of the truck for help. Let's not forget that they probably have more footage of the truck and who's to say they don't see that truck parked right in the driveway. They might have seen several things that we have not been made privy to and we won't be made privy to. There have been many a case where you hear absolutely nothing and everything LE is doing makes no sense and then boom! it all comes together.

I believe that the truck in the video is the truck at the farm. If it wasn't...they would still be looking for a truck and THAT we would know about. I believe they have the truck they seek.

This appears extremely complicated and when there are tons of players, companies, bankruptcies, family members, grudges, drug dealers, etc., everything becomes convoluted and it becomes a huge puzzle that is going to take time to decipher.

The problem is that 3 people are missing and time is moving on and it makes everything so much more urgent.

LE knows stuff and they know stuff about their POI. It will all come together but it's going to take some time.

First posting, have been following thread for days. Just throwing out ideas:

JO left NO at grandparents IMO because he fell asleep. That's why last known outfit was the blue sweat shirt and peach shorts and not pj's. Just guessing she was probably tired and the thought of bringing two kids home and having them wake up and need to be put back to bed didn't seem appealing. Whatever the reason I don't think it was planned and thus the comments "he wasn't supposed to be there."

I like a previous poster questioning whether NO's shoes were at the house. If footwear was gone IMO it lends credence to him/grandparent(s) being alive when they left. Still after so many days it's hard to imagine where they are.

Re DG and the truck. LE said he's somewhat cooperative. Maybe he's admitted to being in the area/maybe not. If vehicle was in area during period maybe he was a lookout for someone else? Vehicle had been reported circling area. If he was lookout he may know something and not be talking out of fear/loyalty/some other reason.

Maybe in surveillance footage the truck shows bed empty and not empty. The police bagged a comforter from the dump - trying to match something described as missing from AL's home or something matching an image from CCT camera footage?

Re AL and KL not seeming clear on their plans... maybe they weren't and that isn't a crime. To maintain some federal pension benefits they needed to remain in country 50% of year. Maybe they were going to figure out where they liked being best. Also, did some of their children perhaps live in Edmonton?

Sprigs

Hey guys I don't think I can post the picture, but go to this link and I think it's Garland covering his face taken July 6? Has this been posted yet?
[modsnip]

I did a reverse image search and found three news sites that match the photo but when I click on them I can't find the photo.

ETA: Picture taken in 1996. See today's Post #736 by LoriMcA for more inf. Thank you, Lori.

Maybe I missed it but I don't remember reading that the house next door to the L's (on the garage/side door side) was previous sold and vacant at the time of their disappearance? I, do, however, recall that house #122 was for sale ...which according to odd/even numbers corresponding with sides of a street, would mean that house was across the street from them........but at the time they went missing many of us posted the link to that home (122) and it appeared then to still be on the market and had been for at least a couple of months. ???
The house on the garage side was vacant and in fact the new owners came by and spoke with KL during the weekend estate sale. This was reported on WS and linked to a MSM report. As well the house across the street is for sale currently. I was going to post the link yesterday but Mod advise against it.
So when the family members were removed from the home it is most certainly from the garage side entrance and not through the front door. Too many steps to contend with and in full view whereas the side entrance has the three large evergreen trees providing shelter and what was certainly apparent a vacant home to the left of the garage looking from the street view.

Side note pertaining to the house for sale across from the Liknes's home. It is gorgeous inside and out and redone completely. The list price is just under $800,000 and in juxtaposition with the L's home and what they sold their home for last December seems to be that the L's got a very good price for their home in comparison to this listing across the street.

So if the truck in the aerial view is NOT DG's truck, then we are assuming the truck that LE took from DG's property was even green? That DG even owned a green truck?

ETA: Oh wait, the family said they recognized the truck as DG's from LE photos. Sorry.

Hey guys I don't think I can post the picture, but go to this link and I think it's Garland covering his face taken July 6? Has this been posted yet?

https://twitter.com/BigStuff7/status/485920117336051712/photo/1

I did a reverse image search and found three news sites that match the photo but when I click on them I can't find the photo.

That photo was released earlier in the week and appear to be taken at the airport. I don't think it is a current photo.

This is an aerial of the Airdrie acreage ... is this the one you meant?

http://www.arcgis.com

Using same site this image is from, pan to the neighbor's yard to the north and you will clearly see the building and it looks like the same truck is parked in pretty much the same spot as the news video.
Edit... The 'green' truck looks to be in front of a different building, the building in question is on NE corner of neighbor's yard.

Going back from my previous post and am pretty certain it is not the same truck (that the LE were looking for).

Newbie posting for the first time. Hello!

I've been lurking and reading for quite some time and I think that sometimes we are assuming things that just may not be....

To be clear, LE is NOT going to divulge what evidence they actually have and in my opinion they do have some evidence. They would not be spending the time and effort tearing apart DG's acreage if they didn't have SOMETHING. It may not be enough to charge anyone with but it's a start. IMHO LE needs to be absolutely sure that they have crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's before they move in for the "kill".

LE released the CCTV shot of the truck for help. Let's not forget that they probably have more footage of the truck and who's to say they don't see that truck parked right in the driveway. They might have seen several things that we have not been made privy to and we won't be made privy to. There have been many a case where you hear absolutely nothing and everything LE is doing makes no sense and then boom! it all comes together.

I believe that the truck in the video is the truck at the farm. If it wasn't...they would still be looking for a truck and THAT we would know about. I believe they have the truck they seek.

This appears extremely complicated and when there are tons of players, companies, bankruptcies, family members, grudges, drug dealers, etc., everything becomes convoluted and it becomes a huge puzzle that is going to take time to decipher.

The problem is that 3 people are missing and time is moving on and it makes everything so much more urgent.

LE knows stuff and they know stuff about their POI. It will all come together but it's going to take some time.

First posting, have been following thread for days. Just throwing out ideas:

JO left NO at grandparents IMO because he fell asleep. That's why last known outfit was the blue sweat shirt and peach shorts. Just guessing she was probably tired and the thought of bringing two kids home and having them wake up and need to be put back to bed didn't seem appealing. Whatever the reason I don't think it was planned and thus the comments "he wasn't supposed to be there."

I like a previous poster questioning whether NO's shoes were at the house. If footwear was gone IMO it lends credence to him/grandparent(s) being alive when they left. Still after so many days it's hard to imagine where they are.

Re DG and the truck. LE said he's somewhat cooperative. Maybe he's admitted to being in the area/maybe not. If vehicle was in area during period maybe he was a lookout for someone else. Vehicle had been reported circling area. If he was lookout he may know something and not be talking out of fear.

Maybe in surveillance footage the truck shows bed empty and not empty. The police bagged a comforter from the dump - trying to match something described as missing from AL's home or something matching an image from CCT camera footage?

Re AL and KL not seeming clear on their plans... maybe they weren't and that isn't a crime. To maintain some federal pension benefits they needed to remain in country 50% of year. Maybe they were going to figure out where they liked being best. Also, did some of their children perhaps live in Edmonton?

Sprigs

Welcome Tealgrove and Sprigs! :welcome2::welcome4::welcome6:

This is an aerial of the Airdrie acreage ... is this the one you meant?

http://www.arcgis.com
Sometimes on these larger parcels there are 2 homes, one usually called the 'home farm', the original house, and the other usually newer that is home to the younger family members. I am wondering if that's the case here, that it is all Garland land. Sometimes it's a hired man's family living in the lesser home, sometimes it's rented out. That might explain why the green truck is parked where it is.

That photo was released earlier in the week and appear to be taken at the airport. I don't think it is a current photo.
You are correct, that picture is taken at the old arrivals gate at the Calgary airport.

JMO

Just my own observations from the Global video ....aerial photos ...the shed in question with the truck in front appears to be on the property immediately to the north of the G's property. The shed is aligned correctly along with cement pad in front as well as the row of round bales? along the east side covered in either tarpaulin or silvery plastic.

So the question is is THAT green truck on THAT property still sitting in the exact same place? Has LE checked it out, etc., removed it since then.

So if the truck in the aerial view is NOT DG's truck, then we are assuming the truck that LE took from DG's property was even green? That DG even owned a green truck?

Police were looking for a distinct late 1980s or early 1990's green Ford T150 in mint condition. A number of tips came in, which led police to the Airdrie property on July 4. Police went to the neighbour's property where they prepared to storm the Garland property. At 6PM, police went to the Garland acreage, apprehended a person of interest, and towed the green truck off the property. Douglas Garland was taken in for questioning because he must be the registered owner of the vehicle. If he was not the registered owner, police would have no reason to take him in for questioning, as he would have no association with the green truck.

Media arrived at the property at about 11AM on July 5. The truck that police sought (green 1980s/1990s Ford T150 in mint condition) was no longer on the property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay