Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although there were conditions related to transitional housing, I don't recall seeing a specific condition that he not return to the farm (other than the judge reminding him he would not be doing so ... possibly just because there was an active search being conducted at the time). IF all he did was return to the farm, any arrest should still not be related to the missing person investigation. Sounds to me like they've got something on dude.

Some of the forensic results came in this morning perhaps?

Although there were conditions related to transitional housing, I don't recall seeing a specific condition that he not return to the farm (other than the judge reminding him he would not be doing so ... possibly just because there was an active search being conducted at the time). IF all he did was return to the farm, any arrest should still not be related to the missing person investigation. Sounds to me like they've got something on dude.

Yes you are right, I had forgotten about that we thought it was probably due to the ongoing activity at the farm that he wasn't going back there.

I think it was one of his bail conditions that he not return to his farm:

Garland is not allowed to return to his home northeast of Airdrie, which is still being searched by police.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1093611/calgary-court-grants-douglas-garland-bail/

"Tired of feeling like a yo-yo so up and down its unbearable"

I think the last time they brought him in.. it was 'for questioning', but they did not 'arrest' him (at least not on anything related to this case), however THIS time, it says he is under arrest. (re-arrested). You may be right in saying they've got something on him (ie enough to make an arrest?)

.......IF all he did was return to the farm, any arrest should still not be related to the missing person investigation. Sounds to me like they've got something on dude.

Seems like conflicting statements. Too early to tell, I guess

The person of interest in the case of a missing five-year-old Calgary boy and his grandparents has been re-arrested in connection with the case.

The circumstances of Douglas Garland’s arrest remain unclear, but police sources confirmed Monday morning he is back in custody.

http://live.calgaryherald.com/Event...or_Nathan_OBrien_and_his_grandparents?Page=14

EDIT to add:

The man who police have identified as a 'person of interest' in the case of three missing Calgarians has been re-arrested.
A source has confirmed with CTV News that Douglas Garland was arrested by police sometime over the weekend.
The source also said that Garland was asked by staff at an Airdrie hotel to leave the premises, but it is unclear why or when he did so.

Douglas Garland appeared in court on identity theft charges on Monday, July 7, 2014.
Police then arrested Garland at a location away from the hotel but have not said where.
It's unclear on whether or not Garland is facing new charges, or why he was arrested this time

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/douglas-garland-re-arrested-1.1913146

From IHaveNoClue's link:

Armchair detectives trying to crack missing persons case on web forum

As news helicopters circle over an Airdrie area acreage and investigators comb the scene, online forum poster “Otto” uploads a labelled topography map.

“The small boxes are the buildings,” he writes. Shortly after, a stranger named “Mrsguest” puts the address through a property search and links it to a business.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/a...issing+persons+case+forum/10026298/story.html

Global noon tv news coming up in 15min hope they have more info then I can find online currently

If DG was kicked out of the motel maybe because the motel didn't want the attention and now DG has to submit a new address.

If DG was kicked out of the motel maybe because the motel didn't want the attention and now DG has to submit a new address.
But that still wouldn't be related to the missing people. It would be related to his previous arrest for the id.

KL's brother quoted in this article (BBM):

Randy Prevost, Kathryn’s brother, said police detectives have confirmed to the family that Douglas Garland has been rearrested.

Prevost told Metro Monday morning family was “flabbergasted” by the news.

“It’s not really a relief … I’ll put it that way,” he said. “It just reaffirms what we might have thought . . . I guess we’re just going to see what comes out of this right now.”

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1095587/amber-alert-family-of-missing-calgary-boy-grandparents-told-person-of-interest-rearrested-by-police/

Cbc radio news at noon is supposed to have an update ... I can't listen though ... at work. It's in 3 minutes!

If the report that Douglas Garland was asked to leave the hotel is true, and at this juncture we don't know why, maybe he didn't know what else to do but go back to the farm, therefore breaching his bail conditions. I can't help thinking back to when he was granted bail that he asked the judge about the fact of having to work late on the farm, when clearly the judge re-iterated he could not go back to the farm. Then his counsel, Kim Ross, spoke up and said something to the effect that he won't, and he'd speak with his client IIRC. Left me thinking about his actual mental state and perhaps some lack of stability. Maybe the police are now just grilling him and trying to get him to break down as to why he felt the need to return to the farm. Did they wait to see what he went to do there first? But, his lack of clarity during his bail hearing on his conditions and "his thinking which he verbalized", leaves me really wondering. I'm also wondering why a hotel just outside of Airdrie? I would understand the rural setting and not to be in a well-populated area, but why so close to home?

The amber alert has been discontinued :( this is just too sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en