Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think any remains that might be found will be just that, remaining parts.

Between his access to chemicals and farm equipment, I don't believe the family will be able to recover the bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That poor family. The only hope now is LE are able to recover the bodies so they can be laid to rest by loved ones.

Sorry I can't find the link but it has been printed several times here but, I think that the initial report that NO might be with his grandfather, with the omission of KL was very telling and might have referenced the blood or 'evidence' found in the home. Then again maybe it was just slip of the tongue.

I wouldn't read too much into the other statements made by LE. I do believe they were being very cautious with words to protect the integrity of the investigation and also to protect family members from grief. They have no duty to report details of the case to the public until the trial date.

IMO, medical distress would only indicate two things, blood or excessive vomit.

I think they knew at least one person was deceased if not all 3 but there were no bodies so there was no way to confirm it until swabs from forensics tests came back. Therefore they said they were still looking for bodies. What else would they say? Anything other statement would be highly unprofessional.

When the chief said that day by day they have been assessing new evidence I believe he was implying that forensics tests had been completed and really that was all we were waiting for. Those tests do take time.

I also think they knew immediately that one or all 3 people were dead because there was not one mention of asking the public to search the city. The family was not out searching as far as I know. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only once they had DG in their sights did they start asking people to check their properties.

The one thing that really confuses me is that there was mention of one of the people being taken out of the home alive...? How could they possibly know that? I was thinking maybe there was spit or vomit or urine found. Again sorry to be so gruesome.

I hope the family is NOT reading anything here.

With DG charged I am feeling many emotions and I can now understand why some pictures were the way they were. I would guess the family knew it was far worse from the get go and yet had to put on a brave face to keep the LE plan " moving forward". I wish them Godspeed with their healing.

I myself feel ANGER- at DG, at the previous court systems and appearances that didn't see the 'real DG' but instead a " troubled young man" which I think then caused them to have sympathy for DG and give him a lighter sentence. This man should have never been off LE's radar as far as I'm concerned.
To me DG has a reason for ever word & action he does. I would go so far as to say he likely uses his body language to suggest frailty when required, as in in front of a judge or intended victim. I would imagine he plants little seeds in the minds of ppl without them realizing he is doing it. I wonder if at some point he read up on or studied psychology or maybe has a parent or relative in the field. Or was treated as a teen and instead of coming away better he picked up some valuable pointers into expected behaviours etc. ( kids learn quick the response you want ) It seems like someone influenced him early on or maybe he made a mistake and realized himself that he needed to study up on body language , power of suggestion/ dropping little hints of frailty/ mental anguish and other ways of manipulating the game. He is cold , calculating and smart - combine that with his warped values, sociopathic behaviours and you have a premeditated murder plan carefully thought out.
I guess that he planned this for months. How he would do it, when etc. He picked that night likely for two reasons. One, he had heard somehow they were planning to leave and knew that if they just disappeared that night many would think they just ran off.
Two, it was a busy time in Calgary and fireworks make a great noise cover. Whether for gunshots or scuffles.
I think his plan started to go wrong when he realized the little boy was in the home. He hadn't planned on that one part. Perhaps one of the adult victims put up that extra bit of fight in an attempt to save their grandson or the realization that he now had a third person to deal with/dispose of threw a wrench in his plan. I would almost think he planned on killing them with some means that didn't involve violence/ blood- that way he could just remove the bodies and destroy them later. But instead, maybe a struggle broke out and he had to change his method of killing at least one of them and therefore the blood. That is the one factor I don't think he was prepared to have at the crime scene because he wanted it to look like the had just left. That blood threw the carefully thought out plan off and he had to clean up and extra efforts he hadn't counted on. Hosing down the walkway took time. He may have used bleach but the blood still showed.
I can imagine him driving banging on the steering wheel and cursing because of the blood. How it wasn't in the plan ! Of course this is all my speculation from reading every post, almost every news story and looking into every online record / trace of him. I think the plan was to disintegrate the bodies either in chemicals or in a combination of chemicals and one of the ponds on the property. He could then say if questioned , that the pond had a bloom or algae or something that he was treating if questioned about the heavy chemical presence in a pond. As he worked in a similar area of chemicals at one time and it being a farm no one would likely think twice. ( Sadly I believe that is likely just what he did with them too :(

I hope this monster doesn't find an easily fooled judge this time.

I was just looking back through some of the articles that have been published about the case, and one thing that concerns me is that mental issues have been documented with the person of interest. That might lead to a free pass into a psychiatric institution.

"The records say “mental issues” may have contributed to property offences committed by Garland, who was also convicted of possessing break-in tools at the time of the drug lab conviction."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...or-testing-from-person-of-interests-property/

I'm hoping that if he or his lawyer do try to play the mental issue card just the fact that (seemingly) so much planning went into the act and the clean-up and the destruction (or at least removal) of evidence from the crime scene would show that he at least had enough mental faculties in place to conceive of and carry out his plan.

Not sure how you can deduce, from only the side view of his head, that he looks strong/healthy and physically capable, IMO. Not defending him in the least but IMO that picture tells nothing.
I agree with daniela40 - he does look strong in that photo, and the court artist did a poor job of conveying his current appearance. (Although if the artist only saw him via video link, that might explain it.)

Look at his neck, you can see some muscle there. And in his shoulders. He looks fit.

Damien Wood @SUNDamienWood
From Sun photog @mdrewpix, Douglas Garland, being taken in to see a Justice of the Peace at police processing. #yyc

Bsj6AuIIIAA75JW.jpg

https://twitter.com/SUNDamienWood

Oh Lord, I'm guessing Paramount won't be happy to see him wearing one of their T-shirts.

I'm hoping that if he or his lawyer do try to play the mental issue card just the fact that (seemingly) so much planning went into the act and the clean-up and the destruction (or at least removal) of evidence from the crime scene would show that he at least had enough mental faculties in place to conceive of and carry out his plan.

There is no way he can get the insanity plea in this the main reason, among many, is that disposing of or cleaning up a crime scene shows that a person knows right from wrong.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/parole-do...-interest-in-case-of-missing-family-1.1905184

In the documents upon which the parole board based its decision, a pertinent line about the meth-cook's mental state reads "Assessed by a psychologist as having little violence potential to others."

Instead of serving his 39 month sentence, DG served only a sixth of his sentence.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

I wonder how much the psychologist who performed the, IMO, sketchy evaluation for the parole board actually knew about the behaviours of meth-heads. I'd like to know how he/she came up with such an appraisal, what tests were used, what criteria were evaluated.

My mother always said that psychologists and psychiatrists are the ones who need their own treatment the worst.

If that is a wood chipper, and if a body went through it, it would have been collected as evidence, and there would have been evidence all over the place.

A wood chipper would not be an efficient way to dispose of a body; one would have to dismember the body first. A VERY messy procedure, as Karla Homolka (who ought to know) testified. Dense bone, such as femurs, would likely jam the machinery. They can be fussy contraptions.

Pickton did not use a wood chipper, he used a meat grinder which he had a legitimate (ugh) reason to possess in order to grind up stuff for sale and/or as feed for his own animals. He had to dismember the bodies first but he had professional tools and a slaughtering/meatcutting room for the purpose.

CP24: Next court appearance will be on Wednesday.

Some interesting details about DG's past in this article regarding his problem with authority, sense of entitlement and previous weapons and assault charges… Not good to hear this was in an old file.
BBM: "But the documents also refer to several criminal charges for violence Mr. Garland once faced, a two-decades long record for property offences and ongoing “mental health concerns.”

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...dparents-has-well-honed-sense-of-entitlement/

Just to clarify a bit, "assault" doesn't necessarily mean he was physical against someone before; "assault" can also mean that he caused someone to believe that he would cause them physical harm, or that he used a weapon to force them to do something.

"Battery" is where contact actually occurs.

http://yourlaws.ca/criminal-code-canada/265-assault
http://lawyeraheadca.wordpress.com/...-difference-between-an-assault-and-a-battery/

CP24: he was found near his parent's property when he was arrested.

Found answer here:
File photo 06/21/99: Medical school dropout and accused drug lab operator Douglas Garland (white shirt and glasses) arrested several years ago for manufacturing drug, escaped police custody and was later apprehended by police in Vancouver after living several years under an alias.

See now, there he does look physically weaker. But then there's a big difference between doing lab & admin work and doing physically taxing farm work.

No kidding, who the heck referred to him as "frail"? If he works the farm, he's likely very strong and fit. He also looks a lot taller than I'd imagined, if he wasn't hanging his head in shame he'd be taller than the cops walking with him. What a ...

Do you see shame ? I don't . I see an angry, demented sociopath who is pissed that he is being led around and near reporters and is barely containing himself. His eyes are not down in shame they are looking up / ahead while his head is down and I don't get the feeling it's to see where he is going. It's defiance I see and rage in those eyes. Buy that's just me .

Officers arrested Garland again near his parents’ Airdrie property at about 1:30 a.m. Monday.
While Hanson wouldn’t go into the circumstances of Garland’s arrest, Garland was bound by a court-ordered curfew and likely under police surveillance at the time. During the chief’s statement to the media, Hanson referred to “covert assets” that assisted in the police investigation.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...family/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18