Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had a court appointed lawyer, for the ID theft. In addition this lawyer does work under Legal Aid. He is a top notch lawyer, and has handled some high profile cases.. I did notice that this lawyer stressed that he is representing his client only the ID theft charge.

So, this tells me that the tax payer will be stuck with the bill for the three murders of which Garland has been charged with.

I also noticed his T Shirt Logo. Wonder where he got it? This company is Calgary based - oil and gas is their speciality.

I wonder which charge will come before the courts first? - the ID theft, or the murder charges.

Which charge do you think will be taken on first?

Has LE specifically said NO is the 2nd degree charge and the 1st are AL and KL?

I remember they said someone had left the home alive and I can't find the link. Someone please provide it if you have it.

Douglas Robert Garland, 54, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection to the deaths of Kathryn and Alvin Liknes and one count of second-degree murder in the death of Nathan O’Brien.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...case_of_missing_calgary_boy_grandparents.html

I also noticed his T Shirt Logo. Wonder where he got it? This company is Calgary based - oil and gas is their speciality.
The more I think about it, the more the t-shirt is giving me the chills. He could have got it anywhere - golf tourney, consulting work, second hand store.... Police suggested that oil & gas companies check their properties. If I were Paramount, though, I'd be checking for sure...

I hope this monster doesn't find an easily fooled judge this time.

In all honesty, Garland doesn't really have to fool any judge or jury but rather the Crown has to successfully prove that Garland actually killed any or all of the three missing persons.

The more I think about it, the more the t-shirt is giving me the chills. He could have got it anywhere - golf tourney, consulting work, second hand store.... Police suggested that oil & gas companies check their properties. If I were Paramount, though, I'd be checking for sure...

It appears as though a lot of people are reading too much into this shirt matter. Would it make any difference if it was a Nike logo or an Under Armour logo? It is claimed that DG had various dealings with the oil and gas industry which is not uncommon in Southern Alberta (or Alberta in general.) T-shirts like this are very easy to come by. I have numerous shirts with various companies logos on them and I've probably thrown hundreds of such shirts away. DG could have obtained the shirt directly from Paramount or from any sort of colleague or associated or neighbour as a give-away.

I can't look at the current land database at the moment but I don't that Paramount operates in Southern Alberta (Airdrie area) any more.

I was thinking about that the other day regarding another case regarding which the newspaper stated it had cost the taxpayers an OUTRAGEOUS sum of money.. I can't remember right now which convict was being discussed.. but.. how is it at all fair that the taxpayers of this country are footing the bills to defend criminals who wilfully do horrible things just so that they can enjoy their right to a 'fair' trial? It is sickening to think that the victims (amongst others) are in fact footing the bills so that the very criminals who destroyed their lives can have access to lawyers who will look for every loophole to get them off, or to get them less time in jail. The lawyers care not whether their criminal is guilty or innocent, but rather, only that they receive their 'right' to a 'fair' trial. Then I think, well, pretty well nobody could afford to defend themselves if they were charged with some heinous crime, considering how expensive lawyers are, and so what about the innocent, our country prides itself on ensuring there are no class distinctions and that everyone has the right to a fair trial. But for criminals who wilfully commit crimes against others and they are proven guilty, why should we pay? Why are these purps not required to pay back their defence and incarceration costs after serving their sentences, and obviously they would not have the money and so why not make them toil at something until their debt is paid back to society, before they are allowed to be freed? Perhaps that might provide some kind of disincentive to criminals and repeat offenders?

Regarding the shirt, he could have purchased it at Value Village.

Thank you for the rant time.

He had a court appointed lawyer, for the ID theft. In addition this lawyer does work under Legal Aid. He is a top notch lawyer, and has handled some high profile cases.. I did notice that this lawyer stressed that he is representing his client only the ID theft charge.

So, this tells me that the tax payer will be stuck with the bill for the three murders of which Garland has been charged with.

I wonder which charge will come before the courts first? - the ID theft, or the murder charges.

Which charge do you think will be taken on first?

In one of the interviews with LE.. cant remember which or who... but murder charges can be laid if the missing are not accessing bank accounts or credit cards. It may not be as gruesome as the speculation. Yes they have compelling evidence. I think we need to hold our horses. I am going to focus on finding these people as my first priority.

My goodness if he ever worked on oil rigs these poor people could be anywhere. We send people out to rigs via GPS coordinates sometimes here in the U.S. I doubt Canada is any different. Some areas are so far out they have cell boosting satellites just to get phone service.

I have a feeling Garland does not shop at Value Village, possibly he is a shareholder, client, supplier, employed by Paramount. My impression is he is intelligent, has no children, single? He could be quite wealthy, frugal. I wonder if his parents are his biological parents. Also, his parents could be in their 80's but my hunch is they are in early 70's.

During the news conference, the chief said something to the effect that it would be remiss of them to not look at other open cases. That, IMO, just didn't come out of the blue, there had to be something found on that farm or the neighbouring properties. I wonder if they found DNA that doesn't match him, his parents or the missing three.

Is it really such a stretch to wonder if there is a connection to some of the missing Edmonton women?
The profile prepared by the RCMP's Behavioural Science Branch suggests he:

Drives a reliable, high-mileage truck, van or sport utility vehicle, and is comfortable driving in rural areas.
Likes to hunt, fish, camp or participate in other outdoor activities.
Has a past or present connection to the area south of Edmonton, including Leduc, Camrose and New Sarepta.
May clean his vehicle at odd times of the day.

I do have a strange theory for one woman found dead who was from Edmonton. It is in the other thread. I plan to work on that later.

Hopefully that "artist" will not be assigned to do any at-large suspect's profile sketch.:shakehead: Those sketches had been out there for so long before the real pictures came out that they almost fixated in my mind--I'm afraid in future whenever I thought of DG I associate those two drawings with him.

The one thing that really confuses me is that there was mention of one of the people being taken out of the home alive...?

Was the mention in a news report or just forum talk?

Thanks, but he didn't give anything new.

There is no way he can get the insanity plea in this the main reason, among many, is that disposing of or cleaning up a crime scene shows that a person knows right from wrong.

Sorry .. just catching up here, so apologies if answered

Worries me though .. Allen Shoenborn, guy who killed his 3 kids in Merritt BC a few years ago was determined to be NCR, even though he knew enough to leave the scene and hide in the bush. He apparently knew what he did was wrong (thus consciousness of guilt), but was still found to fit the criterion for NCR :furious:

"Nervous breakdown" is not a medically defined term. I wonder if DG's self-proclaimed (?) "nervous breakdowns" have been documented as a specific mental disorder or simply in his lawsuit against the MNR.

Has anyone found another ID for Garland yet? No doubt he has more identities online and was likely using another fake ID in real life too. JMO

Do you see shame ? I don't . I see an angry, demented sociopath who is pissed that he is being led around and near reporters and is barely containing himself. His eyes are not down in shame they are looking up / ahead while his head is down and I don't get the feeling it's to see where he is going. It's defiance I see and rage in those eyes. Buy that's just me .

Nope not just you, I suspect that's what he's feeling too. I'm afraid he will never tell where the remains are either.

If the investigators determined that DG was the only one involved in the crime, then the fact that he had been held for 9 days for ID theft would mean that any surviving victim would in all likelihood have died of hunger.

This brings another speculation (admittedly not very likely) about the reason why DG was released last Friday July 11: if there were surviving victims kept somewhere and DG had meant to keep them alive, he would try to go and feed them after the release. But apparently they found him doing something other than that.

The area between Calgary and Edmonton along Hwy 2 contains thousands of hectares of farmland. Even the hoodoos of Drumheller are within a few hours drive. What a massive search effort if LE believes the victims will be found on farm land, I hope the public complies.
I believe it was Otto that suggested party spots from the 70's should be looked at...I'm pretty sure most of those would now be developed into subdivisions around Calgary and Airdrie.

In all honesty, Garland doesn't really have to fool any judge or jury but rather the Crown has to successfully prove that Garland actually killed any or all of the three missing persons.

Yes, your right, I was thinking of him going trial by judge only and the judge being swayed as the tax judge seemed to be, by his tales of mental breakdowns and the supposed accident etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18