Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying so hard to get through all the pages of that newspaper archive (thinking there *might* be an article about the crash), but I didn't see anything, and it only allows a certain amount of PDF views per day. Most of the paper was related to Alberta's 75th year and a bunch of memory-lane articles. If someone searched for the October 31 edition, maybe there is an article there? I was surprised MKH had his obituary published as it was the same day he died that it appeared in the paper (I'm guessing he died in the early hours of the morning). Don't quote me, but I was under the impression his sister died the day of the accident and he the day after. I don't remember where I read that, though.
She did pass away on the 29th you're quite right. So very sad to Lose ones children this way

There was reportedly no connection between the victims in the car accident Garland. There wasn't even a connection that their mother's belonged to the same WI group. There was nothing ... so why did Garland become fixated?

Have we heard about this at all? This is at the foot of the patent info:
LEGAL EVENTS
Date Code Event Description
11 Mar 2011 FPAY Fee payment
Year of fee payment: 8
12 Mar 2007 FPAY Fee payment
Year of fee payment: 4
15 Sep 2003 AS Assignment
Owner name: NORTHEN PRESSURE SYSTEMS INC., ALBERTA
Free format text: ASSIGNMENT OF ASSIGNORS INTEREST;ASSIGNOR:LIKNES, ALVIN;REEL/FRAME:013973/0239
Effective date: 20020605
Owner name: NORTHEN PRESSURE SYSTEMS INC. #1700, 700-6TH AVENUE

We'll have to wait about a year and a half to see a resolution to this case.
... Hannibal Lectur types are not criminally responsible and should be in general prison population (Pickton)?

Where does Garland fit?

Unfortunately innocent until proven guilty, but I do believe justice will prevail. I have confidence in the justice system.

There was reportedly no connection between the victims in the car accident Garland. There wasn't even a connection that their mother's belonged to the same WI group. There was nothing ... so why did Garland become fixated?

The fixation is pure speculation. It's more likely a need for a new identity led to a search of deceased people of similar age. That may just be the first name he found.

October 30, 1980, was a Thursday. The next long weekend might be November 11, so there was no long weekend.
Was he at school, taking classes, or did he drive home and take a long weekend because he was cheating and doing the work didn't matter?

Problem is, we know the dates they died, but not necessarily the date of the accident itself.

Notice these are from 1992 and for BC only:
42183-1-H 1 23-Oct-1992 FDA - 39(1) Traffic in a controlled drug Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 2 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 353(1)(b) possessing automobile master key Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 3 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 4 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 5 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 6 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 354 Possession of property obtained by crime Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 7 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(a) PSP - Over $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 8 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(b) PSP - Under $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 9 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 90(1) Possession of a prohibited weapon Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
<rsbm>

I don't know why those charges are showing up in BC .. October 23 1992 is the date of the drug raid at the Garland farm in Alberta. Maybe it has to do with an inter-provincial warrant due to charges under the FDA?

There was reportedly no connection between the victims in the car accident Garland.

Was there such a report? Where? (There was a NY Daily News article saying MKH crash was caused by DG falling asleep, not sure if they had basis or made the claim without thinking--in Thread #4)

I was thinking more along the lines of all 3 being taken from the home, that Nathan might be considered to still be in the care/control of his grandparents, and possibly the Crown felt they might not be able to prove the kidnapping aspect.

The "medical distress" inside, combined with the blood and "drag marks" outside suggest the perp may have had to carry someone. The others would have an opportunity to run if not subdued. The picture of the blanket taken from the landfill suggests wrapping. I see nothing that suggests anyone walking out on their own, but would happily be proven wrong.

There may be more or amended charges coming, however. You never know. We will have to wait and see.

I should clarify, that there is no indication that the blanket in the picture is connected to this. It is a possible indication that LE felt the use of a blanket was a plausible theory, and were doing their due diligence in collecting it.

Was there such a report? Where? (There was a NY Daily News article saying MKH crash was caused by DG falling asleep, not sure if they had basis or made the claim without thinking--in Thread #4)

Found this:
"Douglas Garland was living in B.C.&#8217;s Lower Mainland and working as a chemical mixer at the B.C. Institute of Technology.

He had managed to evade detection by stealing Matthew&#8217;s identity.

The teen was at the wheel of a car near his family&#8217;s ranch in Cardston, about 3½ hours south of Calgary, when he hit a half-ton truck. His sister, Jill Lorene Hartley, 12, who was riding with him was also killed."

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...athan-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id

Perhaps just because he stole the guy's ID and wanted a good sob story if caught?

Found this:
"Douglas Garland was living in B.C.&#8217;s Lower Mainland and working as a chemical mixer at the B.C. Institute of Technology.

He had managed to evade detection by stealing Matthew&#8217;s identity.

The teen was at the wheel of a car near his family&#8217;s ranch in Cardston, about 3½ hours south of Calgary, when he hit a half-ton truck. His sister, Jill Lorene Hartley, 12, who was riding with him was also killed."

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...athan-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id

So you mean because the two locations are very far away from each other? Still not impossible, though.

I just find the coincidence too striking, that he was (or claimed to be) traumatized by a car crash caused by himself, and that he used a car crash victim's ID. As speculated previously (Thread #4), another possible scenario is that after he took MKH's ID, he pretended to be truly a car crash victim in some way.

It would be interesting to know which happened first, if the two car crashes were not the same: his "traumatizing car crash", or the first time he used MKH's ID.

The "medical distress" inside, combined with the blood and "drag marks" outside suggest the perp may have had to carry someone. The others would have an opportunity to run if not subdued. The picture of the blanket taken from the landfill suggests wrapping. I see nothing that suggests anyone walking out on their own, but would happily be proven wrong.

There may be more charges coming, however. We will have to wait and see.

I should clarify, that there is no indication that the blanket in the picture is connected to this. It is an indication that LE felt the use of a blanket was a plausible theory, and were doing their due diligence in collecting it.

I'm not out to prove anybody right or wrong. All initial indications were that LE was looking for live victims and specified they did not leave of their own volition.

<rsbm>

I don't know why those charges are showing up in BC .. October 23 1992 is the date of the drug raid at the Garland farm in Alberta. Maybe it has to do with an inter-provincial warrant due to charges under the FDA?
These crimes were all committed in BC when he spent 7 years there having skipped bail on the drug concocting charges in Alberta SillyBilly

I was trying so hard to get through all the pages of that newspaper archive (thinking there *might* be an article about the crash), but I didn't see anything, and it only allows a certain amount of PDF views per day. Most of the paper was related to Alberta's 75th year and a bunch of memory-lane articles. If someone searched for the October 31 edition, maybe there is an article there? I was surprised MKH had his obituary published as it was the same day he died that it appeared in the paper (I'm guessing he died in the early hours of the morning). Don't quote me, but I was under the impression his sister died the day of the accident and he the day after. I don't remember where I read that, though.

I've had the train of thought since DG & the MKH link was brought into this case....I along with a couple other of us on here posted the obituaries and the story from the Lethbridge paper...ohh I'd have to go look....a few threads back *thank you!! for posting them above so I could re-read without going back to find just yet :) *

IIRC...the accident was the Wed...and the sister died that day...MKH died the following day...and the obituary appeared that same day *I found that strange as well that it was in the paper so quick*
I will find the link to my post with the article....I can't remember if it's specific to where the accident took place....a road outside town near their parents property?

I had stated back then that I felt for some very strange reason DG was 'obsessed' with this person...I chose the wrong wording with 'obsessed'...but fixated possibly? I can't figure out why someone who has been caught once using this poor child's ID *that in itself being mind boggling*....would go back and do it again...using the SAME person ....unless he has some underlying reason he is 'connected' in his mind...to this person....

I won't get into details but another case involved a girl who went to school with my children...she was murdered...a case that was unbelievably horrific....eventually solved...the community was ...it's hard to describe...horrors don't happen in our own hometown....right? But...they do....Anyways...she was eventually found....in the cemetery..

My thoughts *they may be 'way out there'* and musings have had me thinking ...the Cardston area should be checked ....call me crazy....but...stranger things have happened...
JMOO

ETA:
link to post with article & obituaries http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...algary-30-June-2014-5&p=10724418#post10724418

Otto what about Drumheller. There's a link showing Northern Pressure Systems there with a map
http://www.zipleaf.ca/Companies/Northern-Pressure-Systems-Inc that would be a good hiding place imo. Yip. Just checked and it's very close to Airdrie. Just got cold shivers. I think Drumheller would be an excellent spot given what it is!

The Badlands are not really that accessible, I mean you can go all over them, but, at night time would be really dangerous. I wish the police would post the times that the green truck appears at the Liknes street. If he's an avid hunter/fisherman like me, it would be easier to determine other areas that he accessed.

These crimes were all committed in BC when he spent 7 years there having skipped bail on the drug concocting charges in Alberta SillyBilly

Just one of many links confirming the date of the drug raid in Alberta:

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

Busted on Oct. 23, 1992 on his parents&#8217; acreage, where police found a sophisticated drug lab with a vast supply of chemicals used in the manufacture of methamphetamines &#8212; albeit no actual finished drugs &#8212; Garland made one court appearance on drug-trafficking charges, then vanished.

ETA: Note that the date of the charges that were said to be out of BC are in fact the date the drug raid took place in Alberta. They are not new offences that were committed in BC.

I've had the train of thought since DG & the MKH link was brought into this case....I along with a couple other of us on here posted the obituaries and the story from the Lethbridge paper...ohh I'd have to go look....a few threads back *thank you!! for posting them above so I could re-read without going back to find just yet :) *

IIRC...the accident was the Wed...and the sister died that day...MKH died the following day...and the obituary appeared that same day *I found that strange as well that it was in the paper so quick*
I will find the link to my post with the article....I can't remember if it's specific to where the accident took place....a road outside town near their parents property?

I had stated back then that I felt for some very strange reason DG was 'obsessed' with this person...I chose the wrong wording with 'obsessed'...but fixated possibly? I can't figure out why someone who has been caught once using this poor child's ID *that in itself being mind boggling*....would go back and do it again...using the SAME person ....unless he has some underlying reason he is 'connected' in his mind...to this person....

I won't get into details but another case involved a girl who went to school with my children...she was murdered...a case that was unbelievably horrific....eventually solved...the community was ...it's hard to describe...horrors don't happen in our own hometown....right? But...they do....Anyways...she was eventually found....in the cemetery..

My thoughts *they may be 'way out there'* and musings have had me thinking ...the Cardston area should be checked ....call me crazy....but...stranger things have happened...
JMOO

It's MOO, too, that anything is possible, and it could be that DG had left school early for a Halloween party and witnessed the accident...? Is it possible he was on a U of A team that had a tournament in Lethbridge? I've been checking archives, names of professors in the Medicine Faculty, etc. I can't come up with anything useful. I think, too, that it's possible Cardston is in some way connected. After all, he had a couple days before LE was on to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway