Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

These photos are heartbreaking, yet heartwarming. I think that's a good thing for the family and for the community.

It's truly touching to see so much support for this family. As I was looking through the balloon pictures I got goosebumps. Then I came across the picture of RO giving his eldest son, Luke a big hug. Then I came across this link with more pictures. ....... It's all good. It's all good.

I think so too. His name is also connected to a live sermon at an Airdrie church. Perhaps someone from the church can get it out of him. He might claim that he doesn't remember ... would a strategy like that aid an insanity defence?

I don't think that related to our DG otto ... the DG "live" audio sermons are by a guy affiliated with Bob Jones University.

I am still having such a hard time believing that someone could hurt a child like that. The more I read about theories that Nathan walked out of the house breaks my heart even more. He must have been so scared. I just can't stop thinking about him, his grandparents and his family.

I haven't head of this theory! Some think Nathan walked away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be true that if he could tell the location of the bodies, he was sane at the time of the murder, and if he can't remember where he put the bodies, he might be nuts?
If he prepped for the murder two weeks in advance, one only need demonstrate that it took seven years to get that far ... he thought of everything ... and most likely was only caught because Nathan was also missing. Premeditated could be mitigated in terms of the big picture.

This is all pure speculation, but unless there is a fingerprint at the scene, or a DNA sample they can trace from the perp, I suspect the truck video, and it's release to the public was the key to getting apprehended. Unaware of cameras and bringing an open boxed truck to transport bodies... If he did it, it's not exactly an example of genius level planning. Even kids that do a smash and grab know enough to steal a vehicle. The lack of bodies suggests a plan to get away with it based on a technicality. (lack of evidence)

Memory can be argued both ways, as well as faked. It isn't a reliable test of criminal intent.

I don't think that related to our DG otto ... the DG "live" audio sermons are by a guy affiliated with Bob Jones University.

Is it a different Douglas Garland that is associated with 2 online sermons for a church in Airdrie?

I read it in one of the posts on here. It talked about kidnapping and listed the charges for kidnapping. My heart is so heavy

This is all pure speculation, but unless there is a fingerprint at the scene, or a DNA sample they can trace from the perp, I suspect the truck video, and it's release to the public was the key to getting apprehended. Unaware of cameras and bringing an open boxed truck to transport bodies... If he did it, it's not exactly an example of genius level planning. Even kids that do a smash and grab know enough to steal a vehicle. The lack of bodies suggests a plan to get away with it based on a technicality. (lack of evidence)

Memory can be argued both ways, as well as faked. It isn't a reliable test of criminal intent.

Police released the photo and stated that an interview was requested with the owner of a specific green truck ... as a potential witness ... that soon went in a completely different direction. The green truck was very definitely the one piece of evidence that can be connected to both the crime scene (seen in the area several times) and the home of Garland's parents ... where Douglas Garland lived.

I think this statement would be true: if he could tell the location of the bodies, then he was sane at the time of the murder, and if he claims that he cannot remember where he put the bodies, he could be nuts.

I can completely understand the sentiment and people feeling compelled to show their support, but sending off a few thousands balloons into the atmosphere isn't exactly environmentally conscious, IMO. The poor O'Brien and Liknes families just need privacy, time to process everything, the support of people close to them, time to grieve in their own way for however long it takes. Airdrie is having a large green balloon release (it was at 8pm) and I guess doing this makes outsiders feel better but does this really help the family? I personally don't think so. IMO.

The family attended.
In this situation, I think that maybe environmental issues really don't need to be brought up.

I read it in one of the posts on here. It talked about kidnapping and listed the charges for kidnapping. My heart is so heavy

Were kidnapping charges laid?

I only heard that there were two first degree, and one second degree, murder charge. Were more charges added and, if so, where is the leak, I mean link?

I think this statement would be true: if he could tell the location of the bodies, then he was sane at the time of the murder, and if he claims that he cannot remember where he put the bodies, he could be nuts.

It's not that black and white. If, for example, someone claimed to have heard voices telling them to kill, they can still have full recollection of events.

It's not that black and white. If, for example, someone claimed to have heard voices telling them to kill, they can still have full recollection of events.

Would what they recollect be useful? The question is faking, or not, is based on voices to kill or faking voices to kill because it's a worthwhile legal strategy. In the past, there has been faking with this convicted ciminal. Is there any RCMP record of Douglas Garland having a head on collision and, if so, where was that? The death of a 14 year old boy driving on the highway is something that stayed with Garland all these years? Matthew Hartley, the false identity used by Douglas Garland, died at the age of 14 where Garland was 20, and two years into his Bachelor of Science degree. At the age of 32, when Garland wanted to escape prison, he moved to Vancouver and assumed the identity of a boy who died when Garland was 20, twelve years earlier. This child's death had a huge impact on him. I think that would be a good place to search. Where was the accident? Where was the memorial? Where are the graves?

Cherchi, did you post the Lethbridge articles about the Carstairs (where ever it was) crash that killed Matthew and his sister? Could you link them again please? Where was Garland on that day, and are there any good hiding spots in that area?

Would what they recollect be useful? The question is faking, or not, is based on voices to kill or faking voices to kill because it's a worthwhile legal strategy. In the past, there has been faking with this convicted ciminal. Is there any RCMP record of Douglas Garland having a head on collision and, if so, where was that? The death of a 14 year old boy driving on the highway is something that stayed with Garland all these years? Matthew Hartley, the false identity used by Douglas Garland, died at the age of 14 where Garland was 20, and two years into his Bachelor of Science degree. At the age of 32, when Garland wanted to escape prison, he moved to Vancouver and assumed the identity of a boy who died when Garland was 20, twelve years earlier. This child's death had a huge impact on him. I think that would be a good place to search. Where was the accident? Where was the memorial? Where are the graves?

Cherchi, did you post the Lethbridge articles about the Carstairs (where ever it was) crash that killed Matthew and his sister? Could you link them again please? Where was Garland on that day, and are there any good hiding spots in that area?

I did Otto. Will find and share.

Given that LE singled out "well sites", it could be a sign they found something like crude oil on a vehicle or relevant clothing. If you want to know how far the possible search radius is, find the nearest well site to Calgary. You can then logically deduce that LE, who knows much more than we do, feels that the perp could have had the time to drive at least that far, and further.

My first post so I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly. I use to live in Alberta as a child and it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I'm having a hard time understanding why NO had to be hurt. It seems that DG wasn't suspecting the child to be in the house but I just don't get it. This incident wasn't random. I'm sure this comes off as being stupid but for a child to suffer just being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so sad.

Were kidnapping charges laid?

I only heard that there were two first degree, and one second degree, murder charge. Were more charges added and, if so, where is the leak, I mean link?

Those are the only charges that have been laid as far as I know. It was just discussed here in the forum about what charges could be included if kidnapping could be proved

So Cardston Alberta....
Birth: 15 March 1966
Marriage: Not Available
Death: 30 October 1980
Cemetery:
Cardston Cemetery
Cardston County, Alberta, Canada
If you look at "billion graves" online and use the name MKH, a photo of the gravestone is shown along with a map. Having trouble posting from my iPad. Hope this helps.

My first post so I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly. I use to live in Alberta as a child and it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I'm having a hard time understanding why NO had to be hurt. It seems that DG wasn't suspecting the child to be in the house but I just don't get it. This incident wasn't random. I'm sure this comes off as being stupid but for a child to suffer just being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so sad.

So am I. I too am having a hard time understanding why Nathan had to be hurt. There seems to be little question that Nathan was not expected to be there. Police have made this clear with the second degree murder charge for Nathan. At the very least, his presence at the scene has led to an investigation into the unintended disappearance of the grandparents at the time that they intended to disappear. This was a premeditated murder. It is tremendously sad.

My first post so I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly. I use to live in Alberta as a child and it's natural beauty is breathtaking. I'm having a hard time understanding why NO had to be hurt. It seems that DG wasn't suspecting the child to be in the house but I just don't get it. This incident wasn't random. I'm sure this comes off as being
stupid but for a child to suffer just being in the wrong place at the wrong time is so sad.

It is sad,rage and evil are all to prevalent in this world. I'd like to welcome you to Websleuths. :Welcome1::welcome4:

We're all aware of DG's criminal past, here's more details you can look up on the BC Courts public website of course, assuming this is indeed the same DRG. (link: https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/criminal/file/charges.do?fileID=474900.0007) Hopefully this is okay to post mods!

Notice these are from 1992 and for BC only:
42183-1-H 1 23-Oct-1992 FDA - 39(1) Traffic in a controlled drug Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 2 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 353(1)(b) possessing automobile master key Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 3 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 4 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 5 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 351(1) Possess break-in instrument Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 6 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 354 Possession of property obtained by crime Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 7 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(a) PSP - Over $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 8 20-Nov-1992 CCC - 355(b) PSP - Under $1,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
42183-1-H 9 23-Oct-1992 CCC - 90(1) Possession of a prohibited weapon Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert

Also, I searched under the alias Matthew Hartley and the name Douglas John Garland comes up with these charges from 1998: (BBM):
41250-2-C 2 02-Oct-1998 CCC - 355(a) PSP Over $5,000 Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS John Richmond BC
41250-2-C 4 02-Oct-1998 CCC - 129(a) wilfully resisting or obstructing a peace officer Commit GARLAND, DOUGLAS John Richmond BC

And these aliases come up also:
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS
Alias HARTLEY, MATTHEW Kemper
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS Robert
Alias GARLAND, DOUGLAS John

I wonder if the Alberta Court files have a lot also? Quite the past even if he *might* be innocent until proven guilty. Sorry for the super long post, lost of info here. Oh and PSP=possesion of stolen property which I didn't know what it meant until I looked it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway