CANADA Canada - Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, 10, Montreal, 12 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A charismatic stranger can talk their way past a child's defenses and lead to trouble. A child doesn't have developed judgement skills. An adult stranger seeking out conversation with a child is not the norm. A child should avoid any "stranger" adult interaction beyond "hello" unless there is a trusted adult nearby.

Why do I have to explain this? I thought this was common knowledge.

I don't think this is true, especially not anymore. It's pretty well recognized that the average stranger poses little threat and is almost guaranteed to help a child rather than harm them. Most child safety experts advocate that teaching "stranger danger" is actually harmful, because it prevents children from seeking out help when they need it. Generally, children are taught to look for another parent with children to speak to if they need help. Sounds like this could have been the case, if this woman was at the park with her own kids.

With or without the mention of a coat, the police divers, will again be searching the waters today. I heard this was in the planning yesterday morning so I don’t think it is in reaction to the ‘coat-gate’ that kept us anxious last night.
Montreal police divers will plunge into Rivière-des-Prairies this morning as the search for missing 10-year-old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou continues.

At 8 a.m. ET, divers are expected to jump in the water and search the limit of des Bateliers Park in Ahuntsic-Cartierville, in Montreal's north end.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/missing-montreal-boy-ariel-jeffrey-kouakou-1.4582178

Last week police on boats used sonar in the Riviere des Prairies without success, and over the weekend they performed tests on the thickness of the ice and the speed of the river's current.
Having determined that it is safe, divers are expected to get into the river at 8 a.m. as they continue their search for the boy.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/police-divers-to-search-river-for-ariel-kouakou-1.3848578

Please let this be the day that they find him and the family has some answers.

I don't think this is true, especially not anymore. It's pretty well recognized that the average stranger poses little threat and is almost guaranteed to help a child rather than harm them. Most child safety experts advocate that teaching "stranger danger" is actually harmful, because it prevents children from seeking out help when they need it. Generally, children are taught to look for another parent with children to speak to if they need help. Sounds like this could have been the case, if this woman was at the park with her own kids.

I tell my children not to talk to strangers. I guess maybe I should rethink after reading this article.. it's interesting, not something I had really thought about.

https://www.kidsmartz.org/StrangerDanger

"Don’t say: Never talk to strangers.
Say: You should not approach just anyone. If you need help, look for a uniformed police officer, a store clerk with a nametag, or a parent with children.
Don’t say: Stay away from people you don’t know.
Say: It’s important for you to get my permission before going anywhere with anyone.
Don't say: You can tell someone is bad just by looking at them.
Say: Pay attention to what people do. Tell me right away if anyone asks you to keep a secret, makes you feel uncomfortable, or tries to get you to go with them."

With or without the mention of a coat, the police divers, will again be searching the waters today. I heard this was in the planning yesterday morning so I don’t think it is in reaction to the ‘coat-gate’ that kept us anxious last night.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/missing-montreal-boy-ariel-jeffrey-kouakou-1.4582178

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/police-divers-to-search-river-for-ariel-kouakou-1.3848578

Even if he went into the water at the park, the river current is a factor that has to be predicted to determine where he would be a week later.

I tell my children not to talk to strangers. I guess maybe I should rethink after reading this article.. it's interesting, not something I had really thought about.

Say: You should not approach just anyone. If you need help, look for a uniformed police officer, a store clerk with a nametag, or a parent with children.
Say: It’s important for you to get my permission before going anywhere with anyone.
Say: Pay attention to what people do. Tell me right away if anyone asks you to keep a secret, makes you feel uncomfortable, or tries to get you to go with them."

Regardless of telling children to not talk to strangers, they are also programmed to do what they are told by adults.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...to-deploy-divers-as-search-enters-second-week
attachment.php

The Montreal police diving unit hauls their gear to the edge of Rivieres des Prairies to continue their search for Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, a 10-year-old who vanished last week. Pierre Obendrauf / Montreal Gazette

The head of the Missing Children’s Network said it’s important that police divers search the river in case Ariel ventured out too far and fell through thin ice.

However, she also said that it’s vital that police continue investigating the possibility that Ariel may have been abducted.

“At this point, although a week has passed, we have to keep hope of finding this boy and giving the gift of closure to the parents,” said Pina Arcamone, the organization’s executive director.

“It’s unimaginable what they’re living. It really is.”
She said this case is particularly frustrating because it appears that Ariel disappeared without a trace. “No one saw anything out of the ordinary,” she said. “There was not a shoelace, a scarf or a glove.”

Attachments

• 0320-city-missing.jpg
    0320-city-missing.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 325
I respectfully disagree. The life of a child is at stake. Who would refrain from coming forward for fear of being criticized? Especially after the repeated and heartbreaking pleas from the parents to the surrounding community?

FWIS, I went over there on wednesday, and everyone I came across (starting with the guy who was handing out flyers, to members of the volunteer organization apparently responsible for the search) openly doubted the woman's testimony and were sticking to the video footage showing him going towards the apartment buildings, but not coming back...

I brushed off their comments as rumours. I think the family desperately needs to hold on to some kind of hope, and the abduction theory is - tragically - their best chance. They're adamant somoeone took their child and pleading for witnesses to come forward.

We really don't know anything about this woman, aside from her being deemed by LE to be a credible witness. She is the only witness. Maybe Ariel fell into the river, but for the boy's sake we souldn't discount the possibility she may be mistaken. Other cases have shown it does happen - IMHO

The family is firmly of the belief that their son was abducted even though there is no evidence of an abduction.

250 tips were received by Sunday, and only one of them was deemed credible: the witness report of the child being at the park at 2PM.

On what basis should we doubt the one witness that police have deemed credible?

Four days ago:

"More than 120 tips have been called in since police launched an Amber Alert for several hours Tuesday, but Brabant said none of them have proved concrete."

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/n...cle_3d9e756a-a105-5696-901f-406ea386a426.html

Six Montreal police divers are set to dig into the ice and plunge into Rivière-des-Prairies this morning as the search for missing 10-year-old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou continues.

Divers are expected to jump into the frigid water to search the river near des Bateliers Park in Ahuntsic-Cartierville, in Montreal's north end.

The temperature at 9 a.m. ET felt like –17 C with wind chill.
A command post remains active at Galeries Normandie, a strip mall on de Salaberry Street, where police will be on site to receive any information from the public.
rbbm.

I'm not sure what the don't say part of this might be but I also told my daughter "A grown up never needs your help."

Such brave divers out there today and even though it is sunny...it is very COLD!
I am hoping for safety of the crew and perhaps some news.
:)
If there was a coat found last night, the police are playing their cards close to their chests today with no mention of new leads or evidence in MSM. The various community Facebook pages that broke the rumor have taken down the stories of coats and bodies and replaced them with sincere apologies and a report of a rescued adult male who fell through the ice at the park where the boy was last seen, emphasizing that it is not related to Ariel’s case.

I am amazed that they can send divers in. If he fell through the ice, wouldn't that mean he is under the ice... are they diving underneath a sheet of ice? You could not pay me enough money to do that. Almost seems like a job for some sort of underwater drone.

Is there a bus route on Gouin Blvd and is the fare free for children?

I am amazed that they can send divers in. If he fell through the ice, wouldn't that mean he is under the ice... are they diving underneath a sheet of ice? You could not pay me enough money to do that. Almost seems like a job for some sort of underwater drone.
Yes, they're diving under the ice. Yes, it's dangerous.

Truthfully I don't think they'd be risking it if they didn't have reason to.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

God Bless the divers today. It is ridiculously cold and windy here where I live- a little over 3 hours away from Montreal. If i lived closer I'd bring them some hot coffee, cocoa and food for after. They're going to need it, diving in that water.

For anyone who lives in the area, I am curious if he would have stood out to people or not really? For example, is it an area with a lot of children... is it a mixed neighborhood or predominantly one type of ethnicity etc. It just seems so strange nobody noticed him for three hours.

The article wenzel posted from CBC has been updated and the searchers found nothing as of 4:00pm and the search is called off for the night. ( I think just the night I could be wrong)
I really wish they found him. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members