CANADA Canada - Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, 10, Montreal, 12 March 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“There’s ice and snow that’s blocking the light, so the divers can see about three feet — not more — in front of them,” he said in an interview.

Couture also noted that because of the freezing waters, the divers’ vital signs were constantly being checked.

“We have to be in constant communication with them in order to make sure they are all right,” he added.

Couture said the divers could spend only about 35 minutes at a time in the river.

“When it’s freezing water like that it’s more demanding for the body so you have to breathe more often and it reduces the oxygen you have in your (air) bottle,” he said.

The police spokesman said there was nothing to lead investigators to believe Kouakou may have drowned in the river, stressing “it’s another part of the investigation.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ver-in-search-of-missing-10-year-old-boy.html

Bringing these maps courtesy of Phei

Map with approximate locations.
attachment.php

I did not realize the park was behind houses, so quite secluded. I am curious how busy it would have been there that day.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

The reward is up to $75,000 now.

I did not realize the park was behind houses, so quite secluded. I am curious how busy it would have been there that day.

I doubt the park was busy. It was a warmer day, but it's always colder next to a river.

Given that an adult fell through the ice yesterday, it must be very easy for someone to misjudge the risk of getting too close to the river.

The reward is up to $75,000 now.

I do hope that if it turns out that the child went into to river at the park where he was last seen that the witness who saw the child at the park receives the reward for leading the investigation to the river.

I taught personal safety to K thru 3 grade many, many moons ago.I focused on these topics. They are still relevant today.
I tell my children not to talk to strangers. I guess maybe I should rethink after reading this article.. it's interesting, not something I had really thought about.

https://www.kidsmartz.org/StrangerDanger

"Don’t say: Never talk to strangers.
Say: You should not approach just anyone. If you need help, look for a uniformed police officer, a store clerk with a nametag, or a parent with children.
Don’t say: Stay away from people you don’t know.
Say: It’s important for you to get my permission before going anywhere with anyone.
Don't say: You can tell someone is bad just by looking at them.
Say: Pay attention to what people do. Tell me right away if anyone asks you to keep a secret, makes you feel uncomfortable, or tries to get you to go with them."

I have not visited this park on a midweek day in winter so I can’t give specifics but I think there would have been quite a bit of activity in the park. When the temperature pops above freeze point and days are clear there are generally plenty of people about as, compared with other cities there really is a “by foot” culture. Additionally, with the local school on a pedagogic day there might have been some kids around too. I think the lack of witnesses stems from the fact that he’s is a tall kid, and once you put a tall kid in a dark puffy winter coat, he could look like a teen or young adult to the average dog walker/jogger. I think remembering the yellow shoes may have helped with the witness that has stepped forward but for the most part I think he would have been a figure as part of a normal winter landscape in his dark clothes.

Re: Buses - asked by someone else up thread,
There is a bus route for almost the entirety of Blvd Gouin (East and West) but in the section of Gouin near the park the bus route loops away on to another street further south so there are no bus stops along the path he would have walked (see map of Google transit below showing bus stops.) If he did hop on a bus he would need a fare as kids are free until 6 years old after they pay reduced fare except on summer weekends when they can ride free with a parent.
8D4D3327-924D-4E0F-9A04-830DBEC772FB.jpg
H= house F= friend’s place

He lived really close to the park, and given that his father said something about soccer, it seems quite likely that he would have gone to the park to kick the ball. It seems very likely that a child who goes to the park next to the river to kick the ball would also go to the river.

I've been wrong many times, but I think this is a simple, tragic accident where Ariel went too close to the river, just like the man did yesterday, and he fell in. The only difference is that rescue was available yesterday, and no one was there when Ariel went into the water.

I was amazed at how close he lived to the park. It wasn't that far from his home. I have a hard time believing that this boy never went near the water before this- most kids that age are attracted to the water, especially in good weather. I don't know about this river, but I know several places in Canada that people skate to work, some even skate on the sidewalks and backyards during events. Most Canadian kids are practically born with skates on their feet and hockey sticks in their hands (joke in our family who's part Canadian- Montreal, Ottawa). Even in the good weather kids play street hockey,

I know that was rambling but it just appears to me that the father was a bit unrealistic to think that his son wouldn't be interested in the water. Especially that close by their home.

I was amazed at how close he lived to the park. It wasn't that far from his home. I have a hard time believing that this boy never went near the water before this- most kids that age are attracted to the water, especially in good weather. I don't know about this river, but I know several places in Canada that people skate to work, some even skate on the sidewalks and backyards during events. Most Canadian kids are practically born with skates on their feet and hockey sticks in their hands (joke in our family who's part Canadian- Montreal, Ottawa). Even in the good weather kids play street hockey,

I know that was rambling but it just appears to me that the father was a bit unrealistic to think that his son wouldn't be interested in the water. Especially that close by their home.

Canadian here. We don’t skate to work. Maybe there’s a random photo that shows that in one place but it’s certainly not the norm. :) Pond hockey is popular, but I’ve never seen hockey played on a river since the river is always flowing the ice can’t be trusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Canadian here too.

Canadian here. We don’t skate to work. Maybe there’s a random photo that shows that in one place but it’s certainly not the norm. :) Pond hockey is popular, but I’ve never seen hockey played on a river since the river is always flowing the ice can’t be trusted.

After scanning the icy Rivière des Prairies for hours Monday with no result, police are resuming the search this morning for a missing 10-year-old Montreal boy.
Montreal police divers spent Monday submerged in the Rivière des Prairies looking for Ariel, focusing on the river's edge of the park.
After finding nothing in that area, the divers changed location, moving farther east along the banks of the river but had found nothing by the time the search was called off at 4 p.m..
There is also a $75,000 reward in place to elicit new, valuable information that leads to Ariel.
Rodi Furniture owner Bruno Rodi put up $50,000 as an incentive "to find Ariel in good shape" and Montreal champion boxer Adonis Stevenson also donated $15,000.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-missing-boy-search-continues-march-20-2018-1.4583757

Police divers search river for Ariel Kouakou for second day
Montreal police divers will return to the Rivieres des Prairies today in hopes of finding 10-year-old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou.
Police divers made three dives on Monday, but didn't find any sign of the boy.
At this point police are not sure that Ariel is in the water, but have no idea where he could be having searched parks, streets, and gone door-to-door in the boy's neighbourhood.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/police-divers-search-river-for-ariel-kouakou-for-second-day-1.3848578

Hoping the divers have a safe 2nd day in the river today...

'If I give up, everything around me will crumble': Search resumes for Montreal boy

After scanning the icy Rivière des Prairies for hours Monday with no result, police are resuming the search this morning for a missing 10-year-old Montreal boy.

Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou went missing March 12 from Ahuntsic-Cartierville after he left his home to meet a friend.

The boy's father, Kouadio Frédéric Kouakou, said he believes his son is alive and was abducted. Kouakou said he won't give up on trying to find Ariel.

"I already see how difficult it is for my wife, how difficult it is for my children, how difficult it is for my little girl," he said. "If I give up, everything around me will crumble."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-missing-boy-search-continues-march-20-2018-1.4583757

The pain the father feels is so raw. “Everything will crumble” man my heart. I can’t fathom their pain.

Yes, they're diving under the ice. Yes, it's dangerous.

Truthfully I don't think they'd be risking it if they didn't have reason to.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

RBBM.

Sadly, I very much agree.

By the way, about the witness, a thought just popped into my head: Could it be that the woman told LE something about Ariel that has not been disclosed to the public?

His friend’s mother mentioned during an interview -by which time the witness had already spoken to LE- that a neighbor saw Ariel at her apartment building with a soccer ball. I realize the neighbor’s account is somewhat questionable since none of the video footage we’ve seen so far shows Ariel with a soccer ball, but as a mother of a 13-year-old who has been a soccer fanatic ever since he was little, I can picture Ariel picking up a ball that might have been left behind by another child and playing with it.

The following is purely speculative:

Say the friend’s neighbor’s accout is accurate, Ariel takes the soccer ball with him on his way back home, and LE verifies it via video footage showing him heading in the direction of the park carrying the ball, but decides not to disclose this information (IIRC, the video footage that has been released so far only shows Ariel on his way to his friend’s apartment, rather than on his way home). He intends to return the ball where he found it at a later time, but loses it while kicking it around at the park. He tries to find the ball, but he can’t, and realizing that he might have lost someone else’s ball especially, he becomes quite upset, thus catching the witness’ attention (it has been reported she told LE Ariel looked sad). She offers to look for it with him, but they are unsuccessful, and she must leave. Ariel continued to look for it on his own, accidentally falling into the river in the process :(.

If something like that happened, it would make sense for LE to not release footage of Ariel with a soccer ball, IMO, since that would help them determine the credibility of any possible witness (e.g., LE: “Did you notice anything about the boy you saw?” Witness: “He was carrying a soccer ball.”).

RBBM.

Sadly, I very much agreed.

By the way, about the witness, a thought just popped into my head: Could it be that the woman told LE something about Ariel that has not been disclosed to the public?

His friend’s mother mentioned during an interview -by which time, the witness had already spoken to LE- that a neighbor saw Ariel at her apartment building with a soccer ball. I realize the neighbor’s account is somewhat questionable since none of the video footage we’ve seen so far shows Ariel with a soccer ball), but as a mother of a 13-year-old who has been a soccer fanatic ever since he was little, I can picture Ariel picking up a ball that might have been left behind by another child and playing with it.

The following is purely speculative:

Say the friend’s neighbor’s accout is accurate, Ariel takes the soccer ball with him on his way back home, and LE verifys it via video footage showing him heading in the direction of the park, carrying thr ball, but decides not to disclose this information (IIRC, the video footage that has been released so far only shows Ariel on his way to his friend’s apartment, rather than on his way home), intending to return the ball where he found it at a later time, but loses it while kicking it around at the park. He tries to find it, but he can’t, and realizing that he might have lost someone else’s ball especially, he becomes quite upset, thus catching the witness’ attention (it has been reported she told LE Ariel looked sad). She offers to look for it with him, but they are unsuccessful, and she must leave. Ariel continued to look for it on his own, accidentally falling into the river in the process :(.

If something like that happened, it would make sense for LE to not release footage of Ariel with a soccer ball, IMO, since that would help them determine the credibility of any possible witnesses (e.g., LE: “Did you notice anything about the boy you saw?” Witness: “He was carrying a soccer ball.”).

I have wondered myself where he and his friend usually played soccer together. Was there a spot near the friend's house or did they go across to the park? If Ariel thought his friend might have been home soon, I could absolutely see him picking up a stray soccer ball and heading to the park to wait.

I have wondered myself where he and his friend usually played soccer together. Was there a spot near the friend's house or did they go across to the park? If Ariel thought his friend might have been home soon, I could absolutely see him picking up a stray soccer ball and heading to the park to wait.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members