CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, I think the majority of people would react ...

OMG!!!!!! and remove themselves from the scene for their own safety.

If one was to come upon a scene like that, I think your own survival instincts would kick in immediately and tell you OMG the person(s) who did this may still be around and RUN RUN RUN!!!!

Even at the scene of an accident, people panic and run out of fear, but this was clearly not an accident from all the accounts.

However, there is the discrepancy between PK and LE in the description of what was observed at the scene.

imo

This really depends on the person. A person like myself who has lifeguard/first aid training (or other similar training), tend to react differently than someone without. Even though the training was a long time ago, the steps we were tought at the time were ingrained. I would have gone in to check for a breath then pulse, and the temperature of the body to the touch... then called 911 so I would have the particulars to give to them... but that's my training . I would stick around until the proper authorities arrived.

My mind would be so focused on what was happening in the present that I wouldn't give much thought of the killer still being there until after. (then I would $h!t my pants)

As for the cake, I would probably have put it down on the passenger side seat while I searched through my purse for my cell phone.

imoo

In one post he said,

"I spoke to Audrey on December 25 just to check in on her and see how she was feeling and also to reschedule my coming over to Thursday morning. I called her on Thursday morning to let her know I was running a bit late with no response."

maybe he figured: I'll just give her a courtesy call to let her know I'm going to be a bit late --- hmm no answer... so he either left her a message or hung up thinking -- she knows I'm coming... maybe she's just using the washroom, having a shower etc..."

just a thought

Shadowraiths - how long before the San Diego conference would one have to contact them and advise they want to present a paper? If you would, please also advise the procedure - I take it one has to put forth their idea for a submission and then their paper in order to be included in a published agenda?

I'm still wondering if AG could have contributed an original idea to that conference.

From what we've been told, AG spent time with her female friend LV; with her weekly coffee group; with PK; with various people studying at Mohawk College and perhaps other places where AG took classes.

That's all that comes to mind. Well, and the Camaro dealership and she'd obviously need a mechanic for regular maintenance.

Thanks NSU.

My feeling is that, in order to get to the point of rage, the sense of being 'bossed around" or "intellectually snobbed" would have to occur over a prolonged period.

I think if you're around a person like that just every once in a while (like with a coffee group), you can easily roll with the punches. But prolonged exposure that's kept bottled up could be lethal. While most folks would quit, walk away, or eventually take an assertive stance or argue a little, some would explode.

Shadowraiths - how long before the San Diego conference would one have to contact them and advise they want to present a paper? If you would, please also advise the procedure - I take it one has to put forth their idea for a submission and then their paper in order to be included in a published agenda?

I'm still wondering if AG could have contributed an original idea to that conference.
Generally, for tech conferences, there's what's called a request for proposal (RFP). It really depends upon how popular the conference is. For example, ACM's siggraph may put out an RFP up to two years in advance, where some of your more general conferences will put it out at least 6 months in advance. The RFP will be themed, and changes from year to year. The proposal would be something akin to an abstract.

As for this particular paper? PK & his co-author also authored the masters thesis. And much of the underlying theory appears to be similar. That is, compute acceleration using FPGAs. So, that was likely their working thesis throughout their graduate program. I do think their theory began flowering during his bachelors capstone. Which you can download & read the pdf here. While he was focusing upon rapid prototyping, it seems that was around the time he stumbled upon, or rather had, the FPGA idea.

I don't know that it would necessarily be something Audrey would have thought of. However, I do think she would have found the concept fascinating. FPGAs, in their most generic sense, are basically arrays of transistors that you can program. They're actually a rather old tech (i.e., gate arrays, sea of gates, that sort of thing). Even so, they still have their uses.

There are better and more objective articles about say "academic dishonesty" than the one I am posting now, but this individual has raised questions that have popped up before (on our Lachlan Cranswick thread) and raises topics that lead to other ideas and more mainstream links....
http://pyshnov.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/shocking-details-of-prof-v-fabricant-case/

Thanks! That is an interesting glimpse into academic politics, with a tragic outcome.

And it really shows how emotions over intellectual issues can be deadly.

I had a taste of academic politics years ago (at Mac). I thought having a departmental office as a student was going to be..... a lot different than what it turned out to be: a bunch of politics, and bickering. You sometimes have to wonder about the quality of research under those circumstances.

That aside, I was a tad surprised he had finished his masters thesis by, at the very latest, December of 2010. Esp considering he had just graduated from the bachelor's program in May of 2010. Generally, even accelerated masters programs take at least a year, with the culmination involving defending the thesis. So, to graduate in May, get married in June, and finish a masters thesis by fall seems, well... odd. But, at this point, I only have his word to go on. And he told me the masters is what he bound and gave to Audrey.

For sure, I've found his academic progress to be a whirlwind tour as well. But I guess he decided to keep the ball rolling as fast as possible. Funny thing, in the olden days you normally wouldn't see anyone who did all of their undergrad, masters and phd work in one place.

As mentioned before, there's another Dr. K at Mac in the same field. I wonder if he's a relation, and if that's had any bearing on PK's academic success. Some of PK's research was cited by him:

http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/~nicola/mpeg.html

For sure, I've found his academic progress to be a whirlwind tour as well. But I guess he decided to keep the ball rolling as fast as possible. Funny thing, in the olden days you normally wouldn't see anyone who did all of their undergrad, masters and phd work in one place.
True that.

As mentioned before, there's another Dr. K at Mac in the same field. I wonder if he's a relation, and if that's had any bearing on PK's academic success. Some of PK's research was cited by him:

http://www.ece.mcmaster.ca/~nicola/mpeg.html
That's an interesting link. Fyi, Nicola is the co-author of both the San Diego presentation & Kinsman's master's thesis. As for he & Dr. K being related? If you take a look at this pic (Dr. K is on the left) and this pic, it certainly looks like they're related. Whether that actually has any bearing is another question. Esp considering they seem to be close in age.

True that.

That's an interesting link. Fyi, Nicola is the co-author of both the San Diego presentation & Kinsman's master's thesis. As for he & Dr. K being related? If you take a look at this pic (Dr. K is on the left) and this pic, it certainly looks like they're related. Whether that actually has any bearing is another question. Esp considering they seem to be close in age.

From my earlier rummagings, I came to the conclusion they are brothers. Will have to look back at my reasoning at the time (all the info is on my old PC that gave up the ghost, so it's there but i can't access it right now) ... IIRC, i made the connection as a result of a congratulatory message from the grandparents to AK

My laptop refuses to open PDF files, but I did manage to copy this. It seems that sillybilly is right - PK has an older brother:

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
HAMILTON, ONTARIO, CANADA ... GROUP MEMBERS: PHILIP CHRAPKA & PHIL KINSMAN ... I would also like to thank Phil Kinsman's older brother, Matt Kinsman who selflessly donated his time to help guide the design of, and eventually ...

ETA: Did the older brother know AG or was it only Phil who knew her so well? Wouldn't they both have grown up close to AG's house (as per the map PK gave us)?

My laptop refuses to open PDF files, but I did manage to copy this. It seems that sillybilly is right - PK has an older brother:

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
HAMILTON, ONTARIO, CANADA ... GROUP MEMBERS: PHILIP CHRAPKA & PHIL KINSMAN ... I would also like to thank Phil Kinsman's older brother, Matt Kinsman who selflessly donated his time to help guide the design of, and eventually ...

ETA: Did the older brother know AG or was it only Phil who knew her so well? Wouldn't they both have grown up close to AG's house (as per the map PK gave us)?

Interesting! That appears to be a different brother. The other is AK.

How many brothers are there? I know 'AK' is also Phil's wife (the one who baked the cake!!)

Now I have a series of questions:
- were all Kinsman males interrogated/polygraphed by LE?
- did the Kinsman family own a GM dealership where possibly AG bought her Camaro?
- was MK her mechanic (since he's into GM vehicles)?
- were PK's "discrepancies" caused by trying to shelter a family member?

Many more questions linger about AG's murder.

Does anyone know what happened to AG's vehicle after LE examined it?

How many brothers are there? I know 'AK' is also Phil's wife (the one who baked the cake!!)

Now I have a series of questions:
- were all Kinsman males interrogated/polygraphed by LE?
- did the Kinsman family own a GM dealership where possibly AG bought her Camaro?
- was MK her mechanic (since he's into GM vehicles)?
- were PK's "discrepancies" caused by trying to shelter a family member?

Many more questions linger about AG's murder.

Great questions!

At least 2 brothers that we know of (if the AK who resembles PK, is in fact a brother.)

It seems that AG liked to to try her network of friends for services. Ex. She contacted JH about being the photographer for PK's wedding. So she may very well have at least contemplated MK as her mechanic (if that's what he now does). Although, she would probably want a GM certified mechanic, if her warranty required that.

I wonder if any car tools or parts are missing? Some elderly ladies can be pretty savvy about their cars and I imagine,would be the type of woman who would 'slap-down" any young male up-start who assumes to know more about cars than she did.
So what kind of trophy really has been taken from Audrey? Car keys, camaro nameplate, thingy a la 'Mercedes,number one".Those things are not sexual, or are they?Where is AG's engagement ring, was it taken..or was it given to adorn another's hand?

Back to the dogs for a moment:

I'm not sure if it's still speculation that they were crated during the murder (ie: if we're
leaning that way because of how the new owner said one of them now gets nervous in the crate), or if we actually know they were crated. I'm thinking it's still speculation.

Wouldn't PK have been able to tell/estimate where the dogs were from inside the garage?

He tells us, "I didn't go inside the house so I'm not sure where the dogs were confined."

hmmmmm!

He also tells us, "The garage was connected to the house by a door".

Surely, if the dogs were on the other side of that door they'd be barking up a storm when PK found AG....in which case he would have said...they were on the other side of the door.

And, in response to a question about the dogs be alarmed by a visitor he says,
"Haha, even if the dogs knew the scent I would expect them to bark up a storm… every time I arrived they went wild".

So they didn't go wild on this occasion? I don't recall PK mentioning the dogs barking when he found AG. That seems very unusual then. Especially after what had just happened to their beloved master.

If they went wild at other times, on some of those occasions they were probably in their crate(s). Wouldn't you eventually be able to (or try to) gauge the bark volume and learn approximately where they were in the house, to know whether you'd be confronted by them soon after entering?

All PK quotes from this post:

Audrey Gleave, retired teacher, viciously murdered in home, Ancaster Ontario, #2 - Page 24 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Question: Do we know if AG confined the dogs to places other than the crate?

I wonder if any car tools or parts are missing? Some elderly ladies can be pretty savvy about their cars and I imagine,would be the type of woman who would 'slap-down" any young male up-start who assumes to know more about cars than she did.
So what kind of trophy really has been taken from Audrey? Car keys, camaro nameplate, thingy a la 'Mercedes,number one".Those things are not sexual, or are they?Where is AG's engagement ring, was it taken..or was it given to adorn another's hand?

Very, very good points/questions here. As a female who is no longer 20 years old :eek: who also drives a 'Vette, I know a great deal about my car and GM cars in general! I am offended when a twenty-something leers at my car and/or makes smart-a## comments about me driving it! My mechanic knows me well and treats my car knowledge kindly.

More questions:
- do we even know that items were taken from the car itself? (the Camaro logo is a hot item!)
- since there's an entrance to the garage from the house, how do we really know that the killer didn't get into the house somehow and force Audrey into the garage (hence, the coat)
- did PK even say much about the car itself? If I recall correctly, he answered one of my questions and simply said that LE took the car

?????????????????????

To me the trophy sounds like something way more personal and serious, or even part of AG's body:

'the nature of the “sexual component” (it had included a perverse act that went beyond a conventional assault; the killer had taken something from the victim as though making off with a souvenir.)'

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/595858--who-is-audrey-gleave

Back to the dogs for a moment:

I'm not sure if it's still speculation that they were crated during the murder (ie: if we're
leaning that way because of how the new owner said one of them now gets nervous in the crate), or if we actually know they were crated. I'm thinking it's still speculation.

Wouldn't PK have been able to tell/estimate where the dogs were from inside the garage?One would think so as he's so familiar with AG's house and her habits.

He tells us, "I didn't go inside the house so I'm not sure where the dogs were confined."

hmmmmm!
I hear ya!

He also tells us, "The garage was connected to the house by a door".

Surely, if the dogs were on the other side of that door they'd be barking up a storm when PK found AG....in which case he would have said...they were on the other side of the door.

And, in response to a question about the dogs be alarmed by a visitor he says,
"Haha, even if the dogs knew the scent I would expect them to bark up a storm… every time I arrived they went wild".

So they didn't go wild on this occasion? I don't recall PK mentioning the dogs barking when he found AG. That seems very unusual then. Especially after what had just happened to their beloved master.Good point!

If they went wild at other times, on some of those occasions they were probably in their crate(s). Wouldn't you eventually be able to (or try to) gauge the bark volume and learn approximately where they were in the house, to know whether you'd be confronted by them soon after entering?Indeed, one would think so!

All PK quotes from this post:

Audrey Gleave, retired teacher, viciously murdered in home, Ancaster Ontario, #2 - Page 24 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Question: Do we know if AG confined the dogs to places other than the crate?All we truly know is what PK told us!!

All comments are contained within the quoted post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez