CANADA Canada - Audrey Gleave, 73, Ancaster ON, 30 Dec 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am going to give you all some points to ponder here shortly. I'm not great at linking stuff, and would have no clue how to make a map, so you might have to bear with some stream of conscience-type info, but I'm going to lay out some angles never seen/seen once here. Gather your friends, it's going to be a ride!!

So, as I have said before, I have followed the AG case closely for a long time. Own the Jon Wells book, live near location, the whole shebang. Recently, I decided to poke around in unsolved murders in the smaller towns and surroundings, looking for any similarities at all.
One murder I found had some commonalities, and searching the AG thread it was posted about briefly by dotr back on Page 2. It was the murder of Thera Dieleman. There was no response to that post, and I believe it was due to the thread being so hot at the time that it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, compounded by the fact that it was 22 years prior to the AG case.
Here is a link; it has some very recent updates; shocking DNA advances that I was unaware of.
DNA from murder scene used to create sketches of suspect in Ontario cold case
22 years is a long time between murders, but certainly not unheard of. The murder sites are only 35 minutes apart on a map, easily done in 30 minutes by car in my opinion. But what REALLY made me think this isn't a stretch is the fact that there is a man that shopped regularly where I work for a year that could easily be the man in that age enhanced picture. And my store is a half hour from both locations (see Innerkip, Lynden, and Caledonia on a map; they draw a triangle).
So that is interesting.
That got me to thinking, what would a killer be doing in that time? Whether it be the man I've seen at my store or not. So then I really broadened my scope, and looked Ontario-wide at similar crimes to the elderly. And remembered this story:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/muskoka-mystery-missing-seniors-1.5342454
This is a long ways away...... but this drew my eye " younger brother Walter Laan's criminal record began at the age of 18 and continued over 24 years — with convictions for property offences, breaking and entering, fraud and impersonating a police officer.". I found that Walter Laan lived in Ayr..... right smack dab between the two murder sites. All I could picture was these ladies opening the door for a police officer....
I have no idea what Walter Laan looks like, I'm not saying he is the man in those DNA pictures, it is two separate trains of thought. I just wanted to put this info out there for the group to surmise.
I never got a chance to respond to deugirtni about AG's address being in Hamilton; I'm not sure where you're located, but as a local I was saying that her address is a half hour away from anything a local would call Hamilton. Despite amalgamation, all of the little towns are considered their own. You need to get past the "Meadowlands" in Ancaster before you start calling Hamilton Hamilton, lol. Just the way it is in these parts.

Sorry for the triple post, but here is where I saw Walter's address as Ayr:

ONTARIO COLD CASE: New tips could help solve missing seniors mystery

"David Laan of Toronto, Paul Laan of Alberta and Walter Laan of Ayr were charged in 2002 of fraud and theft of old age security and Canada Pension Plan benefits of more than $120,000. However, police said at the time, those charges were not connected to the search on the North Lancelot Road property."

"David Laan of Toronto, Paul Laan of Alberta and Walter Laan of Ayr were charged in 2002 of fraud and theft of old age security and Canada Pension Plan benefits of more than $120,000. However, police said at the time, those charges were not connected to the search on the North Lancelot Road property."
Welcome to Ws ShaunLindsay, thanks for your intriguing post!
Ws. threads..
CANADA - Canada - 4 seniors mysteriously disappear, Muskoka area, Ontario, late 1990s, *Fresh initiative*

CANADA - Thera Dieleman,80, Ont,16 September 1988*DNA technology*

Audrey Gleave
December
Audrey Gleave

"On Thursday December 30, 2010, at 10:46 a.m., Hamilton Police Service received a 911 call from a male at a rural address on Indian Trail in Ancaster. The male reported finding his friend, Audrey Gleave, dead at her residence. HPS and EMS/Fire responded but Audrey had obviously been deceased for some time. Gleave had been a very intelligent but somewhat reclusive retired school teacher. She had a limited circle of friends and her life was a matter of routine. There was no apparent motive for this homicide and it remains unsolved. There is every reason to believe that this murder was carried out by someone who knew Gleave and her routines.

Anyone with information about this homicide is being asked to contact S/Sgt Dave Oleniuk of the Major Crime Unit at 905-546-3829."

Audrey Gleave
December
Audrey Gleave

"On Thursday December 30, 2010, at 10:46 a.m., Hamilton Police Service received a 911 call from a male at a rural address on Indian Trail in Ancaster. The male reported finding his friend, Audrey Gleave, dead at her residence. HPS and EMS/Fire responded but Audrey had obviously been deceased for some time. Gleave had been a very intelligent but somewhat reclusive retired school teacher. She had a limited circle of friends and her life was a matter of routine. There was no apparent motive for this homicide and it remains unsolved. There is every reason to believe that this murder was carried out by someone who knew Gleave and her routines.

Anyone with information about this homicide is being asked to contact S/Sgt Dave Oleniuk of the Major Crime Unit at 905-546-3829."

It is a tragedy there has been no justice for Audrey in nine years.

Looks like Laan would have been in jail during the AG tragedy. However, he would have matched the age of the suspect in the Dieleman case.

Suspect pleads guilty to home invasions in Rockwood
Web posted on October 20, 2005

Walter Laan, a 45 year old man from Oshawa, Ontario, pleaded guilty in a Bracebridge court on Friday, October 14th, 2005, to several charges of home invasion, including one in Rockwood. He received a 13-year sentence in penitentiary for his various crimes.

Laan admitted in court that, on December 30, 2004 he entered a residence on Guelph Street in Rockwood with a gun. He took a quantity of cash and credit cards. He then taped up the 90-year-old female occupant and fled.

The same suspect was later identified as committing home invasion robberies in Muskoka, Durham Region, and Brantford. He was arrested by Huntsville O.P.P. and held 285 days in pretrial detention.

In sentencing Laan to the 13 year sentence, the judge also prohibited him from possessing any weapons for life. He was also ordered to provide a DNA sample for the National Databank.

Laan will serve 11.5 years in jail when pre-trial custody is taken into consideration.

Looks like Laan would have been in jail during the AG tragedy. However, he would have matched the age of the suspect in the Dieleman case.

Suspect pleads guilty to home invasions in Rockwood
Web posted on October 20, 2005

Walter Laan, a 45 year old man from Oshawa, Ontario, pleaded guilty in a Bracebridge court on Friday, October 14th, 2005, to several charges of home invasion, including one in Rockwood. He received a 13-year sentence in penitentiary for his various crimes.

Laan admitted in court that, on December 30, 2004 he entered a residence on Guelph Street in Rockwood with a gun. He took a quantity of cash and credit cards. He then taped up the 90-year-old female occupant and fled.

The same suspect was later identified as committing home invasion robberies in Muskoka, Durham Region, and Brantford. He was arrested by Huntsville O.P.P. and held 285 days in pretrial detention.

In sentencing Laan to the 13 year sentence, the judge also prohibited him from possessing any weapons for life. He was also ordered to provide a DNA sample for the National Databank.

Laan will serve 11.5 years in jail when pre-trial custody is taken into consideration.
Did he have staged the crime scenes for pretending "sexual assault"?

I'm skeptical that this is related, but you never know. So thanks for posting it dotr!

Killing someone in a fairly rural area, versus killing someone in a highrise apartment building in the city, seems like very different circumstances. Having said that, if someone's M.O. was to take advantage of isolated elderly women, then that could be a connection.

BEHIND THE CRIMES: Solved and Unsolved Cases in Ontario | HamiltonNews.com
''In our series Behind The Crimes: Solved and Unsolved Cases in Ontario, we revisit crimes that dominated headlines in our communities.''

BEHIND THE CRIMES: Handyman finds senior after 'horrendous, vicious attack'
by Mac Christie rbbm.
''It has almost been a decade since Audrey Gleave was found murdered in her home in Lynden, a hamlet in Hamilton.''

''Investigators at the time also said the crime was committed at the hands of one or more assailants unknown to the victim. Gleave suffered stab wounds, among other injuries, and police indicated that there was a “sexual component” to the attack.

But more recently, Det. Angela Abrams told The Hamilton Spectator at the time that Gleave was targeted — and Abrams said there is no hard evidence that Gleave was sexually assaulted.

In 2018, Hamilton Police said Gleave’s case is not considered a cold case, but rather an active investigation — meaning detectives keep tabs on “people of interest” and explore tips.

According to the Hamilton Police Service 2018 active rewards list — presented at the March 12, 2020, police services board meeting, there is currently no reward for information pertaining to the Gleave case.

Hamilton Police Service corporate communicator Jackie Penman said in late June there are no updates on the case.

“Hamilton Police continue to investigate the homicide and encourage anyone with information to call 905-546-3829,” she said.''

''Investigators at the time also said the crime was committed at the hands of one or more assailants unknown to the victim. Gleave suffered stab wounds, among other injuries, and police indicated that there was a “sexual component” to the attack.

bbm

I wonder about "unknown" ..... My memory says otherwise. :confused:

bbm

I wonder about "unknown" ..... My memory says otherwise. :confused:
Yes, I think that was earlier/early in the investigation that they were saying that, but it was subsequently changed, and I understood that LE now believe the assailant was indeed known to the victim and further, that the sexual component may have been set up to 'appear' that way, to keep them off track. imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nirvanita55