Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other comment is that we have been told the COD but that does not mean there are not other injuries to the bodies. Only the police will have access to the complete autopsy results for now. I know from personal experience that IF family want the complete results, they have to write in for them and it takes a couple of months for toxicology etc. Hopefully, in a case such as this, the fox reports come faster. The police always hold back information and IMO, will be saying nothing for awhile out of respect for the family.

I've read most, but not all, of this thread and apologize in advance if this has been raised already. If Barry strangled Honey there would likely be physical signs of this - for example his skin under her nails, scratches on his face, or even her own scratching of her neck as she tried to get out of his grip. Their physical state will tell a lot in terms of a struggle.

Sit tight. I'm sure the forensics team have gone over everything thoroughly. But police are being very tight-lipped with this case. At this point the consensus here seems to be not a murder/suicide but a double murder.

Thank you Sphinx. So simple, as I figured it would be....lol I was quite surprised to hear on the podcast that staff were at the house, did they not wonder where the couple were in the morning? Not having staff myself, not sure. If I had a housekeeper, Id hope they'd check on me if I were in my 70s and didn't appear in the morning. JMO

When the police seemed quick to close this as a murder-suicide instead of a proper investigation, the children may have had good reason to worry that they would be next to be found in a staged suicide.

That seems like a pretty big assumption.

We have no clue what constitutes a proper investigation in this case and how the investigation has unfolded so far.

No one would choose to live on Old Colony road that wasn't an observant Jew. Old Colony road draws a premium in pricing due to the proximity of the synagogue on the East end of the road. One street over on Forest Heights equivalent homes are often $1-2M less.

Thanks for your locality wisdom :) Also, Honey was set to leave right when Hannukah began ? And Barry would have been alone during the holiday ? They didn't spend some of the holiday with their children and ? grandchildren ? Do their children live in the Toronto area ? Just wondered about the timing. Both observant and not so observant Jews celebrate the Festival of Lights. It's a family time, jmo.

My almost-87-year-old mother walks six miles a day and has mowed up to 4 lawns at a time during the summer. Her own yard is nearly an acre and she does all the maintenance herself, except she gets a friend to help her with the backyard leaves and pays someone else to aerate and overseed. I’m almost 55 and can’t keep up with her.

This guy was still working 7 days/week so I’m guessing he was in pretty good shape.

Yay Mom!! She’s a tough act to follow. I’m sure Sherman was doing OK for 75 and his age was not necessarily a factor in any of this, even if it turns out to be suicide.

Sometimes unfortunately, because they are so busy, LE just wants to quickly close a case and move on. I hope the Sherman family does not allow that to happen, and there really is a detailed and diligent investigation by the homicide detectives. Whatever happened, my sympathies to the Sherman family for their great loss. IMO
Oh, I'm sure LE will not gloss over this one like they did originally with Laura Babcock. These are VIPs. Maybe even too important, in which case the investigation will stop, orders from above. But we're not supposed to indulge in conspiracy theories.

The other comment is that we have been told the COD but that does not mean there are not other injuries to the bodies. Only the police will have access to the complete autopsy results for now. I know from personal experience that IF family want the complete results, they have to write in for them and it takes a couple of months for toxicology etc. Hopefully, in a case such as this, the fox reports come faster. The police always hold back information and IMO, will be saying nothing for awhile out of respect for the family.

Welcome JDG! :seeya: Good posts. Other injuries will tell the story, if there are any. I always figure that LE silence is normal and doesn’t mean that nothing is going on.

Yeah but only temporary IMO. They could've eventually freed themselves.

But could they have freed themselves if they were already dangling or whatever? Like in 8-10
Seconds before they passed out? I just don’t know about this case.

Hello All, I am very new, first post. Who/what is LE?

That's the lingo here for Law Enforcement. Lots of other unique acronims used here, most of which I've forgotten since I was here last.

I think we need a picture. I do not think this means that the sleeves were down instead of being pushed up. This is something else.

Any ideas?

Maybe like this?
9999ea96db66bed52b595afe67b4fbd6.jpg

Benefits, Where people wear their fancy designer clothes, eat crappy food and everyone brags about how great they are and how much money they make.

He sounds like he is a genius and talk like that probably gets old old old

Plus I get the impression that this was Honey’s thing.

Various staff members were in the house ? I wonder where Honey was killed then ? She was strangled someplace in the house ? How did LE know where she was killed ? I mean, it's not like a stabbing death, with much blood loss. jmo

Sit tight. I'm sure the forensics team have gone over everything thoroughly. But police are being very tight-lipped with this case. At this point the consensus here seems to be not a murder/suicide but a double murder.

Yes, I have no doubt that LE looked at those things from the start, and also understand that many people doubt the murder-suicide theory. I just think it's not uncommon for great resentment to set in between 2 people in a long term marriage and that it's not implausible that a spouse could blow their cool and do something they immediately regret.

Thanks for your locality wisdom :) Also, Honey was set to leave right when Hannukah began ? And Barry would have been alone during the holiday ? They didn't spend some of the holiday with their children and ? grandchildren ? Do their children live in the Toronto area ? Just wondered about the timing. Both observant and not so observant Jews celebrate the Festival of Lights. It's a family time, jmo.

I believe Honey was leaving on the 18th. Not sure where the children are located but Id think a couple, at least, are in the Toronto area.
Agreed re Hannukah being a family time and others joining in the celebration. I don't believe she was 'leaving' him, just going down a week earlier.

There is no such consensus

Plus I get the impression that this was Honey’s thing.

With people like the Shermans, it often seems like the husband is committed to the causes but would prefer to ditch the galas etc. If the wife doesn’t work outside the home, it becomes a huge part of her life.

I believe Honey was leaving on the 18th. Not sure where the children are located but Id think a couple, at least, are in the Toronto area.
Agreed re Hannukah being a family time and others joining in the celebration. I don't believe she was 'leaving' him, just going down a week earlier.
I hadn't meant to convey that Honey was leaving her husband. I do not think that was likely at all. They seemed like one of those "opposites attract" and stay attracted type of couples, but jmo. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper