Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My money is on a double murder at the moment. Political, nothing to do with the cousins.

This must be a particularly sad and difficult time for the daughter who just had a baby a few weeks ago, imo.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-honey-sherman-homicide-deaths-1.4456170
What police haven't said

Although there have been some media reports about evidence, police have yet to confirm any specifics beyond cause of death. They have not said, for example, whether there is security footage from the property or if a note was found inside the home.

Police will be doing a forensic analysis to look for possible signs of a struggle, marks indicating someone was dragged or bodily fluids like blood.

"You have to prove, working backwards from where they're found, how they got to where they are," said Perry.

Speculation

There are three main scenarios investigators will consider: a double suicide, a double homicide or a murder-suicide.

The Shermans both died by strangulation, but how that occurred is still unclear.

If they were both found hanged, it's unlikely it was a double suicide, said former Toronto homicide detective Mark Mandelson.

"I think if you canvassed 100 homicide detectives in North America, you'd be hard pressed to find very many of us who said they ever dealt with a double suicide where the mechanism of death was hanging," he said. "I find that sort of the least-palatable resolution."
He said that while investigators must keep their minds wide open, from what police have so far indicated, a double murder is one of the explanations that likely can be excluded.

"It's [a] very unusual, very unusual way to commit homicide," he said. "Where you have this wonderful couple, standing members of the community, are somehow both dead from a ligature compression of the neck. It's bizarre."
Honey Sherman was set to fly to the couple's winter home near Miami on Tuesday while her husband was to join later this week, along with Waks.

One daughter was to be married soon, Waks said, while another had a new baby just a few weeks ago.
rbbm.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ord-of-high-profile-death-investigations.html
[h=1]Veteran cop leading Sherman probe has track record of high-profile death investigations[/h]Det.-Sgt. Susan Gomes is the lead investigator now examining the suspicious deaths of billionaires Barry and Honey Sherman.
Detectives, especially those who’ve put in years of their career on the notoriously demanding homicide squad, must aim to keep an open mind when approaching each and every death. Even if it has similarities to past cases, every new investigation must be approached with fresh eyes, treated as a completely unique situation.

That’s not likely to be a problem for Toronto police Det.-Sgt. Susan Gomes. The file that landed on her desk this weekend is undoubtedly unlike any other in the veteran cop’s career.
A police source with knowledge of the investigation told the Star that the couple was found together, by their indoor pool, hanging off a nearby structure. Both were in a semi-sitting position, according to a police source.

Post-mortem results show both Shermans’ cause of death was “ligature neck compression,” death from hanging or strangulation caused by a cord-like object, such as a belt or rope.
A former homicide detective told the Star this week that the squad likely took on the role as lead investigator because its officers are the most experienced in probing suspicious deaths

The CEO of his former company is a friend of the Shermans. Reading between the lines I suspect journalists have been told not to dig deep into anything that may be embarrassing to the Shermans family.

Something like that or threats from the family to media outlets not to speculate about suicide.

The press clams up on any suicide. Often there's just bare details of a body being found, often not even that, and no follow up at all. Murder/suicide gets a bit more reporting, but not much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In pondering this situation and in all sincerity, I personally would like to know more about the hows and whys. But, if it were my parents, and if it were a murder-suicide, I would want and be very greatful if the investigation were to end quietly as well .... for my siblings, the grandchildren and other family members.

I may be going against some of the grain here, but I suspect sometime in the next 10 days (when there are good opportunities dor news dumps with the holiday season) there will be a terse statement from the Police that they have closed their investigation and no further details will be forthcoming.
Agreed. It seems as though Honey was trying to scale things back and enjoy life. I wouldn't be surprised if Barry had issues with that as work is the only thing he enjoys. Even someone you love can drive you crazy sometimes, and if he throttled her in a fit of frustration it would be unbearable to bear the consequences. I could now imagine he could take himself out with her at his side. It could easily appear as double suicide or double murder to hide his crime from family. Sorry, but that's how it looks to me. I cannot see double murder after seeing that floor plan (elaborate set up with two victims located at the farthest end of the longest dead end corridor).

IMO they won't close the investigation due to its high profile.
I have personally known a private investigator that worked for predominantly wealthy people in Toronto, and the family has pressured police to investigate.
The children can probably well afford their own private investigation firm to look deeper into this if the police drop the case.
I would.

Even if they got in a fight and he killed her in a fit of rage and felt horrible about it and killed himself he would not go through putting these jackets on and hanging her and himself. What's the purpose?

Why not to wait and finish selling the house? Who will want to pay millions to live in a house with a double (...)?
If it was planned, why even start selling the house? What was that trigger to abrupt own live(s)?

Seems a lot of dignitaries (including PM) will come to a memorial. Would they really go to a murders's funeral?

Yes, still many questions to answer or to hear more details. Hope, that Toronto LE learnt their lesson from the Wyane Millard case, it will be not closed too soon.

Something like that or threats from the family to media outlets not to speculate about suicide.

Unfortunately for the family the media are not going to let this case go it’s getting international coverage and has been in the U.K online news websites and news bulletins often. I’m shocked at the leaks from the police to the media.

The funeral for a billionaire couple found dead in their North York home will be held on Thursday, Dec. 21.

In a posting on Benjamin’s Park Memorial Chapel’s website, the service for Barry and Honey Sherman will take place at the International Centre, 6900 Airport Rd. in Mississauga, at 11 a.m. A private burial and visitation will follow.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...th-york-billionaires-barry-and-honey-sherman/

I read that they both died by ligature compression to the neck. And it was assumed that this meant the hanging. But, it was also stated that Honey died elsewhere in the house, and her body was moved to the pool area. So, she was strangled someplace else in the house ? With the doors locked ?

Unfortunately for the family the media are not going to let this case go it’s getting international coverage and has been in the U.K online news websites and news bulletins often. I’m shocked at the leaks from the police to the media.
Some of the leaks could be from the real estate agent that found them. Not all from LE.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Was this a complex with a shared parking facility (I thought I read that earlier in the thread), or was it a stand alone house with its own private parking?

Was this a complex with a shared parking facility (I thought I read that earlier in the thread), or was it a stand alone house with its own private parking?
Private home with large garage. Floor plans have been posted.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Even if they got in a fight and he killed her in a fit of rage and felt horrible about it and killed himself he would not go through putting these jackets on and hanging her and himself. What's the purpose?

So it looks like it wasn't him who did it.

An assassin could have been in the back of their car forcing them to drive into their garage at gunpoint, emerging once inside the garage and security cameras switched off. Stuff of the Bond movies. Chose not to use the gun to make it look like suicide because BS didn't own a gun possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper