Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there would have been a single lock box code, not a code for each potential user/visitor. I have seen many single code boxes before. So I don't think the lockbox code would be a unique identifier for any visitor.
Okay. However, the first thing police would have asked would have been 'who has the code' and then interview those people.

Regardless, the grainy neighbour's video would not have been needed by police to identify the person, it would only confirm details they already knew.

Donovan and the family/Greenspan express frustration that police won't share insider information with them, and yet both of them rush everything they know or, don't know but guess, into print. Which means neither can be trusted with any important information.

Rsbm

This article from a few years ago describes Barry's role as 'Chief Formulations Officer. At that time he was reviewing old formulas: he may not have been up on the newer techniques and formulations like someone recently coming out of university.

"the Founder and Chairman of Apotex, Dr. Barry Sherman, is also our ‘Chief Formulation Officer’! He has more or less designed every solid dose formulation that Apotex has brought to market in the past 43 years of our business. Today, over 80 percent of his time is still focused on designing new formulations. He is a true scientist and we are very fortunate to have him as an asset. A key priority is looking at older formulations – which were developed based on suboptimal manufacturing processes – to simplify them for more cost-efficient manufacturing."
https://pharmaboardroom.com/interviews/interview-jeremy-b-desai-ceo-president-apotex-canada/

Re your comment: "..he (BS) may not have been up on the newer techniques and formulations like someone recently coming out of university."

Actually, upon reading the article, it sounds like Barry was the most capable scientist in the whole pharma industry.

I’m not sure if the above reply is intended to support Barry working in the Apotex lab? I don’t think so as it mentions he was in “the office” actively involved in a specific role. What that role was, we don’t know but prior to his official role was Chairman of the Board.
I wondered what a 'chief formulations officer' did, that interview describes it as examining, revising and approving the formulas, and this took up 80% of his time around 2015. Whether he mixed chemicals himself, or more likely requested the lab staff run various tests, I don't know, they would have allowed the owner to do whatever he liked.

Coming late to this issue, but I think police most likely identified this person through the real estate lock box code they would have had to use in order to open the front door.

Edited to add, or the person simply came forward to police as soon as the bodies were discovered.

It could have been HS's personal trainer come to do a training session, not sure why propose an affair. Who ever it was wouldn't wait in the home, but call out and text, then wait in the car in case she had slept late or was in the bathroom showering, etc. Just being respectful.

If the mystery man is not a suspect, his entry into the home does raise questions.

If he was the trainer, how’d he get in?
If he was a realtor, how did it come to be he had the lockbox code as he wasn’t the listing realtor?
Or was the front door left open? But then what, this visitor wasn’t alarmed, instead just left even though both Barry and Honeys vehicles were parked at the home?
Did he attempt to contact either of the two by cellphone? No answer, or was a cellphone taken by the perp for purposes of impersonation to delay discovery of the crime?
Why did this person park on the street instead of pulling into the driveway?

Three times in and out for a total of 29 minutes, what was he doing? Even though it’s a large house, 29 minutes is a long time to spend in a house with nobody home. If he was looking for one of the two, why didn’t he notice the bodies through the glass door into the poolroom/garage?

Whoever this person was, Saunders never said he had no involvement in the double homicide. IMO considering all, there’s a greater chance he did than didn’t.

Otherwise the circumstances regarding this mystery visit had to have revealed additional information that is helpful to the investigation. Thus my theory, it’s been leaked for a purpose, to yank the perps chains.

Re your comment: "..he (BS) may not have been up on the newer techniques and formulations like someone recently coming out of university."

Actually, upon reading the article, it sounds like Barry was the most capable scientist in the whole pharma industry.
I just think the new areas for development mentioned in the article, such as biologics, are not based on traditional chemical formulations and techniques, and would be outside his expertise. They involve more biology, and high tech harvesting from living organisms.

What do you mean by “the whole pharma industry”? Apotex is a generic drug company. The term “generic” refers to copies of brand name medication already on the market which also reduces the cost. That’s not to be confused with “big pharma” who patents and produces “new” pharmaceutical products.

Okay. However, the first thing police would have asked would have been 'who has the code' and then interview those people.

Regardless, the grainy neighbour's video would not have been needed by police to identify the person, it would only confirm details they already knew.

Donovan and the family/Greenspan express frustration that police won't share insider information with them, and yet both of them rush everything they know or, don't know but guess, into print. Which means neither can be trusted with any important information.

Good point, I also get the feeling that by Donovan/Greenspan and various undisclosed sources “outing” information, it’s expected TPS will feel compelled to clarify it through the media if the speculation is incorrect. That’s not going to happen, even considering the public’s thirst for information, if in the view of TPS it threatens the integrity of the investigation.

I wondered what a 'chief formulations officer' did, that interview describes it as examining, revising and approving the formulas, and this took up 80% of his time around 2015. Whether he mixed chemicals himself, or more likely requested the lab staff run various tests, I don't know, they would have allowed the owner to do whatever he liked.

According to Apotex, Barry was no longer involved in day to day operations. Why I believe this is because if a 75 year old founder remained the company’s key chemist, the business would surely be in severe jeoprady even over any sudden minor health related events.

“Apotex says Sherman, 75, hadn't been involved in day-to-day operations since he stepped down as chief executive officer five years ago.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apotex-barry-sherman-succession-1.4462150

If the mystery man is not a suspect, his entry into the home does raise questions.

If he was a realtor, how did it come to be he had the lockbox code as he wasn’t the listing realtor?
Or was the front door left open? But then what, this visitor wasn’t alarmed, instead just left even though both Barry and Honeys vehicles were parked at the home?
Did he attempt to contact either of the two by cellphone? No answer, or was a cellphone taken by the perp for purposes of impersonation to delay discovery of the crime?

Three times in and out for a total of 29 minutes, what was he doing? Even though it’s a large house, 29 minutes is a long time to spend in a house with nobody home. If he was looking for one of the two, why didn’t he notice the bodies through the glass door into the poolroom/garage?

Whoever this person was, Saunders never said he had no involvement in the double homicide. IMO considering all, there’s a greater chance he did than didn’t.

Otherwise the circumstances regarding this mystery visit had to have revealed additional information that is helpful to the investigation. Thus my theory, it’s been leaked for a purpose, to yank the perps chains.
I don't think this was leaked by police, I think it came from Greenspan.

According to Apotex, Barry was no longer involved in day to day operations. Why I believe this is because if a 75 year old founder remained the company’s key chemist, the business would surely be in severe jeoprady even over any sudden minor health related events.

“Apotex says Sherman, 75, hadn't been involved in day-to-day operations since he stepped down as chief executive officer five years ago.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apotex-barry-sherman-succession-1.4462150

Yes, funny thing, the company publicity when he was alive states that he had an important role, and after he was dead says it was insignificant!

What do you mean by “the whole pharma industry”? Apotex is a generic drug company. The term “generic” refers to copies of brand name medication already on the market which also reduces the cost. That’s not to be confused with “big pharma” who patents and produces “new” pharmaceutical products.

Sorry, I merely forgot to add the word generic in front of pharma. I am aware of the difference.

I think the behaviour described, at that time of day, is totally inconsistent with someone who knew about or discovered the bodies. Anyone who knew would be flooded with adrenalin and terror that someone might show up and find them in the house, alone, with the dead homeowners. I can't believe they would leisurely go in and out, in and out, and slowly drive away.

There could be many innocent explanations: they were given the code and were waiting for HS to turn up for an appointment,or were measuring the living room windows for drapes and went out to their car to take personal calls, or something.

I don't think this was leaked by police, I think it came from Greenspan.

In this instance Greenspan claims his team was unsuccessful in identifying the person in the tape. IIRC the story unfolded bit by bit - it began with a media story about the Sherman children applying for a demolition permit with the City of Toronto. Apparently a CTV reporter then sought out neighbours to guage their opinion about the demolition. It was reported on this thread that the initial radio report had the mystery visit prior to the homicides, an “anonymous neighbour” complained to the reporter about handing over the tapes and somewhere along the way Donovan jumped in regarding TPS hadn’t bothered collecting them for several weeks. Then came the actual content including the 29 minutes in and out three times and what not from a source who had taken notes, then apparently provided Donovan....I think is how it all went. And that’s why Saunders responded that his officers “had not dropped the ball”.

Last edited:
I think the behaviour described, at that time of day, is totally inconsistent with someone who knew about or discovered the bodies. Anyone who knew would be flooded with adrenalin and terror that someone might show up and find them in the house, alone, with the dead homeowners. I can't believe they would leisurely go in and out, in and out, and slowly drive away.

There could be many innocent explanations: they were given the code and were waiting for HS to turn up for an appointment,or were measuring the living room windows for drapes and went out to their car to take personal calls, or something.

According to the Ontario Real Estate regulations, the lock box code isn’t supposed to be given out. The listing realtor is supposed to be present. But if that was not adhered to, then the question would arise - why and how many unauthorized people had access to the code for the lock box?

The realtor who arrived on the Friday prior to the listing realtor claims he rang the doorbell and was let in by the cleaning person.

Sorry, I merely forgot to add the word generic in front of pharma. I am aware of the difference.

No problem. I really do think the lab at Apotex was much larger than a one man operation because of the size of its operations. I’m remembering this....

“Apotex Inc., the generic-drug giant founded by murdered billionaire Barry Sherman, has been waging a year-long court battle against an ex-employee who was fired for allegedly stealing millions of dollars’ worth of pharmaceutical trade secrets from a laboratory computer—in the hopes of launching a rival company in his native Pakistan.

Court documents obtained by Maclean’s reveal the existence of a high-stakes internal investigation launched by Canada’s largest drug-maker in January 2017—and the urgent lawsuit that followed, aimed at recouping what the company describes as “highly sensitive” intellectual property of “enormous” value. Apotex is so determined to retrieve any missing data that, at one point during the ongoing litigation, company lawyers demanded that the former staffer be imprisoned for 45 days for contempt of court because he “willfully and deliberately” ignored a judge’s order to hand over USB drives, email passwords and other electronic devices believed to contain confidential information.

Mulazim Hussain, a veteran chemist who worked at Apotex’s research-and-development laboratory for more than a decade, was fired last year after the company discovered he had registered a private corporation and taken steps to construct his own generic-drug plant in Faisalabad, Pakistan. “
Barry Sherman’s company says fired employee stole valuable drug secrets - Macleans.ca

I agree that his behaviour and the time of day is inconsistent with someone who knew about or discovered the bodies. If he didn't gain entry to the front door via the lock box, I'd almost think that someone was in the house and let him in. What a scary thought.

According to the Ontario Real Estate regulations, the lock box code isn’t supposed to be given out. The listing realtor is supposed to be present. But if that was not adhered to, then the question would arise - why and how many unauthorized people had access to the code for the lock box?
Are you sure about that interpretation, can you provide a link?

The whole purpose of a lock box is to allow other agents to view and show the home without having the seller's agent present. Otherwise, the seller's agent would just bring the key with them.

ETA I also think that if HS wanted her special friends, employees and family to come and go, her agent and long time friend wouldn't stop her from sharing the code.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that interpretation, can you provide a link?

The whole purpose of a lock box is to allow other agents to view and show the home without having the seller's agent present. Otherwise, the seller's agent would just bring the key with them.

ETA I also think that if HS wanted her special friends, employees and family to come and go, her agent and long time friend wouldn't stop her from sharing the code.

I’m assuming the registrant refers to the listing realtor but maybe not. Regardless if there’s no appointment to view, no one has the right to enter? There’s a long list of required adherence on this same link. Note the date as well. As I recall, this bulliten followed another media report of various lax procedures related to other properties, for example a customer allowed to view a home for sale unsupervised.

Lockboxes - RECO Website
  • A registrant who makes an appointment to show a property that has a key secured in a lockbox must remain in attendance for the duration of the appointment, must ensure that the property is secured, and must return and secure the key in the lockbox at the end of the appointment. Under no circumstances should a registrant leave the property while other people remain unsupervised on the property. Nor should a registrant give the key to another registrant who may be following them into the property. If the other registrant is authorized, he or she will already have the lockbox code.
And:
“Unauthorized access, including access outside of scheduled appointment times, is unacceptable, because of the potential risk to real and personal property, privacy, safety and security of both buyers and sellers.”​

Last edited:
SATURDAY SCRAWLER: Fence erected around murdered billionaires’ home
April 5 2019
"You can hardly see the house now because a construction wall is right around the property.

The murder scene may soon be gone, but not the memory of what happened there.

Or the mystery."

“It is a huge investigation,” said Toronto Police Insp. Hank Idsinga."
The case has had just about everything — except suspects."

“I am hopeful we will get to the point” where that changes, said Idsinga.

Det.-Sgt. Brandon Price is the lead detective on this active file.

“He is cerebral,” said Idsinga. “He’s a good thinker.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member