Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lengthy article
June 21 2019 By Kevin Donovan
Murdered billionaire Barry Sherman planned to give away or invest much of his fortune, sources say | The Star
"Barry Sherman had big plans in the year leading up to his murder — make an enormous donation to charity, gift hundreds of millions of dollars to his wife, Honey, and expand Apotex.

Those plans, described to the Star in interviews by people close to the Sherman couple, had not been acted upon at the time of their murders."

"It’s a baffling mystery for close friends of the couple. It is not unusual for these friends of many decades to catch themselves imagining the couple’s terrifying final minutes, or recalling the many hopes and plans Barry and Honey shared with them over coffee, dinner or a game of golf.

For the purpose of this story, sources have been granted confidentiality for several different reasons depending on the individual, including a fear for their personal safety, fear of economic reprisals, and a concern that by speaking publicly they will interfere with the police investigation, particularly if they are ever called to testify in a courtroom."

"Millions for Honey

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Sherman relationship was that Honey had to ask for money to make big purchases. Barry controlled the family purse-strings. The couple were both notoriously frugal when it came to many of their possessions, including cars. Honey drove a 10-year-old Lexus Hybrid SUV; Barry drove a 1999 Mustang GT convertible.

A sore point between Honey and Barry was that while their four children had been gifted money (different amounts for different children) over the years, Honey had not.

“Honey would always say, Barry never gives me any money,” said one of Honey’s closest friends. Another said, “Honey really wanted her own money.”

For smaller items, such as a $5,000 repair job to her Lexus after hitting a deer in 2017, Honey used a credit card linked to Barry’s account. Barry also kept a stash of $100 bills in a drawer in their home office that Honey had access to. But for big-ticket items, she told her close friends she had to ask Barry.

That was all about to change, according to people close to Barry and Honey. Barry was contemplating making a major gift to Honey that she could spend as she pleased.

The amount was to be between $100 million and $500 million, according to friends who say they heard this from Honey."

"The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman."

"In fact, in the wake of the Sherman murders, sources say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million. That claim, unsubstantiated by any paperwork, produced a rift between the Sherman children and Shechtman, beginning several days after the murder. The rift continues to this day. Separate shivas were held, one at Shechtman’s home and one at Barry’s sister Sandra Florence’s home.

Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide.

Shechtman declined numerous requests for an interview."
rbbm.

Last edited:
So maybe Honey never made a will because she felt her Only assets requiring probate were real estate, often held jointly with Barry. Outside of private shares, her name may not have been on much.

Many of their assets may have been in trusts and holding companies.

500 million is a lot of after tax capital. I wonder what the gift structure was?

Thinking that the perp/s may have timed the murders to occur before BS transfers funds to HS and in light of the ongoing legal issues with his cousins, banked on KW to be the fall guy.
speculation, imo.

If the article is accurate, who stood to benefit the most from Barry not transferring these funds to Honey?

So maybe Honey never made a will because she felt her Only assets requiring probate were real estate, often held jointly with Barry. Outside of private shares, her name may not have been on much.

Many of their assets may have been in trusts and holding companies.

500 million is a lot of after tax capital. I wonder what the gift structure was?

Lengthy article
June 21 2019 By Kevin Donovan
Murdered billionaire Barry Sherman planned to give away or invest much of his fortune, sources say | The Star
"Barry Sherman had big plans in the year leading up to his murder — make an enormous donation to charity, gift hundreds of millions of dollars to his wife, Honey, and expand Apotex.

Those plans, described to the Star in interviews by people close to the Sherman couple, had not been acted upon at the time of their murders."

"It’s a baffling mystery for close friends of the couple. It is not unusual for these friends of many decades to catch themselves imagining the couple’s terrifying final minutes, or recalling the many hopes and plans Barry and Honey shared with them over coffee, dinner or a game of golf.

For the purpose of this story, sources have been granted confidentiality for several different reasons depending on the individual, including a fear for their personal safety, fear of economic reprisals, and a concern that by speaking publicly they will interfere with the police investigation, particularly if they are ever called to testify in a courtroom."

"Millions for Honey

One of the idiosyncrasies of the Sherman relationship was that Honey had to ask for money to make big purchases. Barry controlled the family purse-strings. The couple were both notoriously frugal when it came to many of their possessions, including cars. Honey drove a 10-year-old Lexus Hybrid SUV; Barry drove a 1999 Mustang GT convertible.

A sore point between Honey and Barry was that while their four children had been gifted money (different amounts for different children) over the years, Honey had not.

“Honey would always say, Barry never gives me any money,” said one of Honey’s closest friends. Another said, “Honey really wanted her own money.”

For smaller items, such as a $5,000 repair job to her Lexus after hitting a deer in 2017, Honey used a credit card linked to Barry’s account. Barry also kept a stash of $100 bills in a drawer in their home office that Honey had access to. But for big-ticket items, she told her close friends she had to ask Barry.

That was all about to change, according to people close to Barry and Honey. Barry was contemplating making a major gift to Honey that she could spend as she pleased.

The amount was to be between $100 million and $500 million, according to friends who say they heard this from Honey."

"The Sherman friends say one complicating factor in the planned gift to Honey was Shechtman."

"In fact, in the wake of the Sherman murders, sources say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million. That claim, unsubstantiated by any paperwork, produced a rift between the Sherman children and Shechtman, beginning several days after the murder. The rift continues to this day. Separate shivas were held, one at Shechtman’s home and one at Barry’s sister Sandra Florence’s home.

Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide.

Shechtman declined numerous requests for an interview."
rbbm.

Poor Mary- having to work just like regular folks..oh the horror.....

Barry Sherman planned to give away or invest most of his money. TORSTAR

ETA: sorry, didnt read above.

Interesting Toronto Star article, about Barry's plans for his fortune. It sort of suggests that a motive for their deaths is to prevent the planned redistribution of a portion away from the heirs, likely the kids. I may be wrong, but I believe the heirs do not want for anything financially, so more of the family fortune may not be a great motivator for murder. Now if we were to to discover one or more of the heirs was in some sort of financial meltdown, due to bad choices in investments or lifestyle, that would be another story. Hopefully the TPS did serious research on the financial wellbeing of each of the heirs.

"For the purpose of this story, sources have been granted confidentiality for several different reasons depending on the individual, including a fear for their personal safety, fear of economic reprisals, and a concern that by speaking publicly they will interfere with the police investigation, particularly if they are ever called to testify in a courtroom."

I found Dotr's bolded section most interesting. Which decades-long, close friend(s) would fear for their personal safety and why? Sounds like they may have a suspect in mind, or they just don't want their identity known while the killer(s) are free.

I got that article from Google Alerts. What annoys me is that Websleuths email alerts stop coming. Why is that?

I'm having trouble believing that Aunt Mary and family are almost dead broke now that the Shermans are deceased.

If, as reported, she and Honey were always together and the families closely entwined, why would Aunt Mary say 'I'm still your loving auntie but I want $300Million cause I say your mother promised it to me?'

That seems very fishy to me. IMO, JMO etc.

IF they benefitted from the wealth of BS and HS, how can they now be down to soup cans and him driving an Uber?? A bit far fetched IMO

I'm having trouble believing that Aunt Mary and family are almost dead broke now that the Shermans are deceased.

If, as reported, she and Honey were always together and the families closely entwined, why would Aunt Mary say 'I'm still your loving auntie but I want $300Million cause I say your mother promised it to me?'

IF they benefitted from the wealth of BS and HS, how can they now be down to soup cans and him driving an Uber?? A bit far fetched IMO
Wouldn't it be ironic if BS's sister-in-law needed the money to pay the Shermans back?, imo.rbbm
April 5 2018
Endless court battles, angry relatives and shady players: the truth about Barry Sherman
"Sherman had a run-in with the FBI and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration over a mail-order scheme he ran with his brother-in-law, Allen Shechtman. It involved a Bahamas-based company, Medicine Club, mailing Apotex drugs, including generic Prozac, from Canada to half a million U.S. households without prescription. Medicine Club pleaded guilty to one count of illegal interstate commerce and was fined US$500,000 for selling drugs without approval; it was also forced to pay $339,000 for investigative costs. Authorities had been tipped off by U.S. drug manufacturers, entrenched Sherman foes. (Sherman bankrolled another of his brother-in-law’s ventures, Martin Ross Group Inc., a jewellery company that filed for bankruptcy in 2015, owing $5.2 million to two Sherman-controlled companies.)"

Sorry, off topic--I know it is against WS rules to mention private messages, but I am trying to message dotr and it isn't working. I get complicated instructions from WebMailWorld and can't send my message. Dotr--can you try contacting me? TIA

Barry gave the cousins lines of credit, and Barry held the mortgages for homes for a few people around him, not requesting mortgage payments. Possibly Mary had the same setup?

With the Shermans gone, the Shechtmans now have to make payments and are unable to? Think of the payments and interest that have possibly piled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member