Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JS was not a shareholder. In order for him to become a shareholder there would have been a deemed disposition. He was simply speaking metaphorically as one of the beneficiaries. The bottom line is he wanted the old man gone and the money sooner than later. Barry wanted to grow Apotex while Jon wanted it sold.

Various executives of Apotex are in fact shareholders. Likewise, IMO JS most certainly could have been a shareholder without the need for any "deemed disposition".
However it really doesn't matter anymore, as he will most certainly become a shareholder if he isn't already.
I think its important to also keep in mind that certain individuals other than JS would or could benefit materially financially as a result of these crimes. Not defending JS, but one must keep an open mind. MOO

Various executives of Apotex are in fact shareholders. Likewise, IMO JS most certainly could have been a shareholder without the need for any "deemed disposition".
However it really doesn't matter anymore, as he will most certainly become a shareholder if he isn't already.
I think its important to also keep in mind that certain individuals other than JS would or could benefit materially financially as a result of these crimes. Not defending JS, but one must keep an open mind. MOO

As far as I am aware Apotex is only owned by Barry with a very small sliver for Jack Kay. Jack negotiated a small ownership stake when Barry enticed him to join Apoxtex when they were first starting out.
Barry's ownership was transferred to his estate on his demise, and the family is actively shopping the company to large US hedge funds. It's going to be a 10ish Billion-dollar sale.

Dear

There were 2 visitors from Israel (former Israeli army special forces guys) who visited Jon Sherman around the time his parents were killed. The police know who they are and want to talk to them. They've offered immunity as well as suggested the 10 million dollar reward. Here's the link.
Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and ‘an idea of what happened’ | The Star

That article you linked doesn’t say anything about Israeli army special forces guys. And guess what? It doesn’t look great in court when you tell the jury your top witnesses got immunity and $10 million in exchange for their testimony, which is why this fantastical scenario is never going to see the inside of a courthouse.

Plus, Tighthead was right. The applicant in the Supreme Court Appeal is the Sherman Estate, who who APPEALED the decision of the Ontario court of appeals in favour of Kevin Donovan.

As far as I am aware Apotex is only owned by Barry with a very small sliver for Jack Kay. Jack negotiated a small ownership stake when Barry enticed him to join Apoxtex when they were first starting out.
Barry's ownership was transferred to his estate on his demise, and the family is actively shopping the company to large US hedge funds. It's going to be a 10ish Billion-dollar sale.

There are other management/employee shareholders.
I believe Barry’s ownership interest was held in a trust.
The company is being run by management, including js.
The company and its operations are being rationalized, with the assistance of external consultants, in preparation for a potential sale.
The potential sale price you quote is unrealistically high. The company’s main asset and guiding mind is deceased, and the generic business has suffered a downturn in the past several years. But we will wait and see who pays what in the end.

That article you linked doesn’t say anything about Israeli army special forces guys. And guess what? It doesn’t look great in court when you tell the jury your top witnesses got immunity and $10 million in exchange for their testimony, which is why this fantastical scenario is never going to see the inside of a courthouse.

Plus, Tighthead was right. The applicant in the Supreme Court Appeal is the Sherman Estate, who who APPEALED the decision of the Ontario court of appeals in favour of Kevin Donovan.

Dear Abro

Respectfully, I can clear this up for you.

Tighthead said "The initial application was made by the executors of the estate." This was incorrect.
The initial application was made by RE: TORONTO STAR NEWSPAPERS LTD. AND KEVIN DONOVAN - Hence know as "Applicants"
The Respondents were " THE ESTATE OF HONEY SHERMAN AND THE TRUSTEES OF THE ESTATE"
Here's the link for proof from Canlii
2018 ONSC 4706 (CanLII) | Toronto Star Newspapers Ltd. v. Sherman Estate | CanLII

Here's what's causing the confusion:
When someone dies in Ontario the following form is filled out and sent in for procession
Form 74.04, Application for Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee with a Will. Tighthead confused the word Application with Applicant.
Because there was no applicant there can be no respondent.

Furthermore When the "Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee" was presented to the court the executor's council met with directly with a judge (highly irregular and never before happened in all Canadian jurisprudence history) and made an ORAL request to seal the file. The judge agreed without any consideration. (essentially the Judge overstepped his authority).

Kevin Donavan had to file the INITIAL motion to unseal the file hence he became the applicant and the estate became the respondent.
After the court of appeal UNANIMOUSLY agreed with the applicant and unsealed the file, the EXECUTORS sought leave to have the matter heard by the SCC. Because it's a new court and the Estate brought the matter to them they now became the applicant(s) and Kevin Donovan and the TS are the respondents.

So to sum it all up - Yes the Estate of BS/HS are the applicants in the SCC while TS/KD were the applicants in Ontario courts.

I would also assert that it was made confusing by Justice Dunphy who agreed to seal the file in error. I did post it earlier but if you read the decision for the Ontario court of appeal the Judges spoke disparagingly about Justice Dunphy's misguided decision.

Hope that clears it up.

Dear Abro

Respectfully, John Gotti was successfully prosecuted as Sammy the Bull Gravano testified against the Dapper Don because he was given Immunity (as well as entry into the WPP)

It's called the deal with the devil. Sometimes you have to make a deal with a bad person to get to a person who's worse.

2018 ONSC 4706 (CanLII) | Toronto Star Newspapers Ltd. v. Sherman Estate | CanLII
''(ii) What interest of the respondents would be served by granting a confidentiality order?
[16] The respondents are the appointed trustees of the estates of Barry and Honey Sherman. These two have already suffered the unimaginable horror and indignity of being victims of a violent crime that took their lives. The respondents submit that the public has little to no tangible interest in delving into the personal affairs of the victims to discover in what state their private affairs were in at the time of their murder.

[17] Violent crime strongly engages the sympathies and the curiosity of the public. The public has an interest – a very acute interest - in knowing that justice is being done and being seen to be done. Every violent crime tears a hole in the social fabric that can only be mended by bringing the perpetrators to justice. The administration of criminal justice is fundamentally a public, not private matter. By contrast, the public has a much lower order interest in satisfying its curiosity to know intimate personal details of the lives and affairs of victims of crime. Some level of disclosure of those personal details is often an inevitable by-product of the system, but such disclosure would normally be justified as being part of the processes bringing the perpetrators of the crime to justice. In other words, the intrusion is in pursuit of the greater good of seeing justice done and the degree of intrusion can be calibrated to that which is necessary to see that end vindicated.''

Last edited:
There are other management/employee shareholders.
I believe Barry’s ownership interest was held in a trust.
The company is being run by management, including js.
The company and its operations are being rationalized, with the assistance of external consultants, in preparation for a potential sale.
The potential sale price you quote is unrealistically high. The company’s main asset and guiding mind is deceased, and the generic business has suffered a downturn in the past several years. But we will wait and see who pays what in the end.

Dear Idlager.

Respectfully, It's possible there are others other than Jack Kay who have a slice of ownership but I haven't come across anything. My understanding is that Jack owns less than 1% of Apotex.
JS was pointing to FDA as the murderer and then shifted to pointing at Jack Kay who is also one of the executors. JS spoke with the other 2 executors and then proceeded to fire Jack Kay. For the record Jack Kay is one of the finest men you could ever meet.
The company is being run by a management team. JS is terrible with money and couldn't manage a donut store.
Indeed the company is being prepped for a sale.
Apotex generates 3-4 Billon in Sales annually and is on an upward trend. Take a look at stock market valuations for publicly traded companies where revenue >3 and < 4 million and take a look at what their market caps are. 10 Billion is a bargain. I do agree with you on the "wait and see" philosophy as it's possible it's sold for much less.
Barry's ownership interest was not held in trust. He had a will from Staples.

Appellate decisions to watch for in 2020 - Obiter Dicta
''Estate of Bernard Sherman and the Trustees of the Estate, et al v Kevin Donova

(March 26, 2020)
In this case, the applicants sought and obtained a protective order over estate files of Mr. Barry and Honey Sherman. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Donavan and the Toronto Star sought access to the files by bringing a motion for unsealing through a variation or termination of the protective order. The motion was dismissed and the files were ordered sealed for two years, before being overturned on appeal. The Ontario Court of Appeal decision is now stayed pending the decision of the Supreme Court.''

Dear Dotr

That link was to a student-run website.

Please refer to canlii for the official court documents which are scanned in.
Here's the link

Dear Idlager.

Respectfully, It's possible there are others other than Jack Kay who have a slice of ownership but I haven't come across anything. My understanding is that Jack owns less than 1% of Apotex.
JS was pointing to FDA as the murderer and then shifted to pointing at Jack Kay who is also one of the executors. JS spoke with the other 2 executors and then proceeded to fire Jack Kay. For the record Jack Kay is one of the finest men you could ever meet.
The company is being run by a management team. JS is terrible with money and couldn't manage a donut store.
Indeed the company is being prepped for a sale.
Apotex generates 3-4 Billon in Sales annually and is on an upward trend. Take a look at stock market valuations for publicly traded companies where revenue >3 and < 4 million and take a look at what their market caps are. 10 Billion is a bargain. I do agree with you on the "wait and see" philosophy as it's possible it's sold for much less.
Barry's ownership interest was not held in trust. He had a will from Staples.

Inspector- I certainly do agree with you regarding your comments on Jack Kaye as a person.
JS did not point to Jack Kaye as a potential murderer, but rather he suspected that Mr. Kaye knew something about the murders.
Bloomberg valued Apotex at about $3 billion less than a year ago.
Canadian Drugmaker Apotex Weighs Sale Amid Interest

Forbes estimates the company’s revenues at about $1.5 billion.
Bernard (Barry) Sherman

In the end, irrespective of the sale price, JS and his sisters will be extremely wealthy.

Thanks, adjusted my post.

Inspector- I certainly do agree with you regarding your comments on Jack Kaye as a person.
JS did not point to Jack Kaye as a potential murderer, but rather he suspected that Mr. Kaye knew something about the murders.
Bloomberg valued Apotex at about $3 billion less than a year ago.
Canadian Drugmaker Apotex Weighs Sale Amid Interest

Forbes estimates the company’s revenues at about $1.5 billion.
Bernard (Barry) Sherman

In the end, irrespective of the sale price, JS and his sisters will be extremely wealthy.

I'm sorry I should have clarified. Yes, JS did not point to Jack Kay as the person who committed the murders but pointed to him as somehow orchestrating or knowing something about the murders. Truthfully, Barry and Jack were brothers and they helped each other become fantastically wealthy.

The sale will most likely wrap up this year after the SCC rules on Kerry J.D. Winter, et al. v. The Estate of Bernard C Sherman, deceased, et al.
Again my belief is the company should be sold in the 10ish B range to a hedge fund intent on bringing it to market as a publicly-traded entity at a later day.

what are the chances?

I just supported Masa Kumta - Beret March
I just supported Masa Kumta - Beret March

InspectorLoneRanger,

Thanks again, I was not aware of the Israeli ex-special forces guys visiting Jon, that Jon did not have shares in Apotex and several other details you have shared.

InspectorLoneRanger,

Thanks again, I was not aware of the Israeli ex-special forces guys visiting Jon, that Jon did not have shares in Apotex and several other details you have shared.

I might be alone in this, but in following the links, I couldn’t verify what InspectorLoneRanger has said.

Kevin Donovan wasn’t able to verify where JS was on that Wednesday, only that he had recently been to Japan prior to the bodies being found.

Quotes or time stamps to links might help.

I skimmed over your posts, @InspectorLoneRanger- you said you’re an ‘insider’ and have a ‘mole’ in the TPS, if I have it correct. Being verified here would be helpful.

For InspectorLoneRanger:

Do you know if or where BS’s phone was found?

Why was there a delay in calling 911 after the bodies were found?

Where was JS on that Wednesday night of the murders?

re post. of very lengthy article.. Wondering what the author of this article would make of the situation now, could he provide any further insight perhaps in a new article?
Who Killed the Billionaire Founder of a Generic Drug Empire?
October 24, 2018
By Matthew Campbell
''I was there to see Jack Kay, Sherman’s right-hand man of more than 30 years, who’d been named chief executive officer in January. He was working out of Sherman’s old office, just a few steps from reception. The Apotex founder rarely discarded a document, and it had taken a team of lawyers to sift through the towering piles of legal pleadings, patent filings, and scrawled notes that once covered every surface. Now it was clean and corporate, with a few neat rows of files and a shelf of souvenir pill bottles.

Eager to report this story the way I would any other, I was careful not to mention my background when I requested an interview with Kay. He knew it anyway. “You’re Barry’s son,” he said as I entered. “I know your father.”

At 77 years old, Kay is slight, with a thin fuzz of white hair—Sherman’s physical and temperamental opposite. As Apotex grew, he enjoyed its material fruits more enthusiastically than his self-denying partner: His car, parked in the spot next to Sherman’s, was a late-model Mercedes roadster with the license plate APO KAY. His old workspace had also been next to Sherman’s, separated by an anteroom containing a lab bench that Sherman used to experiment with formulations. The men sometimes communicated by yelling across the space, and after hours they would sit together for friendly debates, often about religion. Kay shared Sherman’s atheism but didn’t think his friend needed to be so strident about it.

Kay had been in New York to see Andrea Bocelli perform at the time the Shermans were killed. He was still stunned, reduced to open-ended speculation about what had happened. “I knew 99 percent of what Barry was engaged in, and none of it makes any sense,” he said. “What did they do, either Barry or Honey or together, that enraged someone to do what they did?” He wondered if there may have been “some commitment that he made that he didn’t live up to, because the person that he made the commitment to didn’t deliver on his side.” Perhaps, he continued, that person “might have made promises to someone else, and reacted in rage.”

I asked Kay if he thought he’d ever know the truth. “No,” he replied. “There’s only one possibility: that someone will be convicted of a crime in Toronto, and when it comes time for sentencing will say, ‘I have information.’ That’s the only hope. And I’ll probably be long dead when that happens.” Sometimes, Kay said, “I sit up and look at his picture, and my mind just goes blank.”

1366x-1.jpg

Kay and Sherman in 1999.
PHOTOGRAPHER: DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR/GETTY IMAGES
It hadn’t been easy for Kay to restore normalcy at Apotex, and not only because of Sherman’s death. Much of the generics industry is in crisis, squeezed on one side by buyers’ demands for lower prices and on the other by hungry rivals, mostly from India, which are rapidly building market share. Sherman never took outside capital, and he owned more than 90 percent of Apotex’s shares—a holding that’s passed to his children, none of whom works in the business. Proud of his roots, he maintained far more of the company’s production in high-cost, high-wage Canada than less sentimental owners would have countenanced. More than half of what Apotex makes comes from in and around Toronto, one of North America’s most expensive cities. Some is produced in a warren of factory spaces surrounding Apotex headquarters; more comes from an iceberg of beige concrete several miles west, which occupies most of a city block and churns out 9 billion pills a year.

For the moment, Kay told me, he was trying to fulfill Sherman’s legacy by “keeping the company moving forward until the beneficiaries decide what they want to do.” Many in the drug industry expect that decision will be to sell Apotex, whether to a competitor or a cost-cutting private equity buyer. The company is already shrinking its footprint, shedding assets and cutting off product lines. In mid-July it sold its European generics business to India’s Aurobindo Pharma Ltd., and it has hired consultants from McKinsey & Co. to standardize its financial records and streamline operations.''

Last edited:
re post. of very lengthy article.. Wondering what the author of this article would make of the situation now, could he now provide any further insight perhaps in a new article?
Who Killed the Billionaire Founder of a Generic Drug Empire?
October 24, 2018
By Matthew Campbell
''I was there to see Jack Kay, Sherman’s right-hand man of more than 30 years, who’d been named chief executive officer in January. He was working out of Sherman’s old office, just a few steps from reception. The Apotex founder rarely discarded a document, and it had taken a team of lawyers to sift through the towering piles of legal pleadings, patent filings, and scrawled notes that once covered every surface. Now it was clean and corporate, with a few neat rows of files and a shelf of souvenir pill bottles.

Eager to report this story the way I would any other, I was careful not to mention my background when I requested an interview with Kay. He knew it anyway. “You’re Barry’s son,” he said as I entered. “I know your father.”

At 77 years old, Kay is slight, with a thin fuzz of white hair—Sherman’s physical and temperamental opposite. As Apotex grew, he enjoyed its material fruits more enthusiastically than his self-denying partner: His car, parked in the spot next to Sherman’s, was a late-model Mercedes roadster with the license plate APO KAY. His old workspace had also been next to Sherman’s, separated by an anteroom containing a lab bench that Sherman used to experiment with formulations. The men sometimes communicated by yelling across the space, and after hours they would sit together for friendly debates, often about religion. Kay shared Sherman’s atheism but didn’t think his friend needed to be so strident about it.

Kay had been in New York to see Andrea Bocelli perform at the time the Shermans were killed. He was still stunned, reduced to open-ended speculation about what had happened. “I knew 99 percent of what Barry was engaged in, and none of it makes any sense,” he said. “What did they do, either Barry or Honey or together, that enraged someone to do what they did?” He wondered if there may have been “some commitment that he made that he didn’t live up to, because the person that he made the commitment to didn’t deliver on his side.” Perhaps, he continued, that person “might have made promises to someone else, and reacted in rage.”

I asked Kay if he thought he’d ever know the truth. “No,” he replied. “There’s only one possibility: that someone will be convicted of a crime in Toronto, and when it comes time for sentencing will say, ‘I have information.’ That’s the only hope. And I’ll probably be long dead when that happens.” Sometimes, Kay said, “I sit up and look at his picture, and my mind just goes blank.”

1366x-1.jpg

Kay and Sherman in 1999.
PHOTOGRAPHER: DAVID COOPER/TORONTO STAR/GETTY IMAGES
It hadn’t been easy for Kay to restore normalcy at Apotex, and not only because of Sherman’s death. Much of the generics industry is in crisis, squeezed on one side by buyers’ demands for lower prices and on the other by hungry rivals, mostly from India, which are rapidly building market share. Sherman never took outside capital, and he owned more than 90 percent of Apotex’s shares—a holding that’s passed to his children, none of whom works in the business. Proud of his roots, he maintained far more of the company’s production in high-cost, high-wage Canada than less sentimental owners would have countenanced. More than half of what Apotex makes comes from in and around Toronto, one of North America’s most expensive cities. Some is produced in a warren of factory spaces surrounding Apotex headquarters; more comes from an iceberg of beige concrete several miles west, which occupies most of a city block and churns out 9 billion pills a year.

For the moment, Kay told me, he was trying to fulfill Sherman’s legacy by “keeping the company moving forward until the beneficiaries decide what they want to do.” Many in the drug industry expect that decision will be to sell Apotex, whether to a competitor or a cost-cutting private equity buyer. The company is already shrinking its footprint, shedding assets and cutting off product lines. In mid-July it sold its European generics business to India’s Aurobindo Pharma Ltd., and it has hired consultants from McKinsey & Co. to standardize its financial records and streamline operations.''

Snipped quote from your article above:

(Jack Kay—) “What did they do, either Barry or Honey or together, that enraged someone to do what they did?” He wondered if there may have been “some commitment that he made that he didn’t live up to, because the person that he made the commitment to didn’t deliver on his side.” Perhaps, he continued, that person “might have made promises to someone else, and reacted in rage.”

That quote always made me think of former Apotex CEO JD, or someone connected to him as the suspect.

I agree with you: I wish Matthew Campbell would write more on the case. His article and video were excellent.

Re-post of his video:

I might be alone in this, but in following the links, I couldn’t verify what InspectorLoneRanger has said.

Kevin Donovan wasn’t able to verify where JS was on that Wednesday, only that he had recently been to Japan prior to the bodies being found.

Quotes or time stamps to links might help.

I skimmed over your posts, @InspectorLoneRanger- you said you’re an ‘insider’ and have a ‘mole’ in the TPS, if I have it correct. Being verified here would be helpful.

For InspectorLoneRanger:

1. Do you know if or where BS’s phone was found?

2. Why was there a delay in calling 911 after the bodies were found?

3. Where was JS on that Wednesday night of the murders?

1. No
2. IMO there was no delay in calling 911. Seeing 2 dead bodies is traumatic. People don't often do/say the right thing. The real estate agent called Honey's sister first not to delay but because it was a traumatic experience and couldn't think straight. Even crazier is that the maids continued to clean the house after the bodies were discovered and the police were there. In the prism of witnessing a traumatic experience not calling the police first is understandable.
3. That's the million-dollar question. JS has refused to speak with reporters as well as the TPS. (JS's partner Adam Paulin has also declined to speak with both with reporters as well as TPS. Since the murders those 2 individuals are as quiet as quiet as be). JS didn't do this himself. He's a gutless coward. This was a 2 or 3 person job. If you involve someone else in a killing you've created a witness. There no honor among thieves. As Gordon Gekko once remarked. "Not only will you sell your mother to make a deal, you'd send her C.O.D."
I'm no psychologist but I do know that killing your parents isn't good for your inner peace. My grandfather fought in WW2. He was a farmer but they had him pick up a gun where he killed a bunch of people overseas. He had nightmares every day of his life.

Snipped quote from your article above:

(Jack Kay—) “What did they do, either Barry or Honey or together, that enraged someone to do what they did?” He wondered if there may have been “some commitment that he made that he didn’t live up to, because the person that he made the commitment to didn’t deliver on his side.” Perhaps, he continued, that person “might have made promises to someone else, and reacted in rage.”

That quote always made me think of former Apotex CEO JD, or someone connected to him as the suspect.

I agree with you: I wish Matthew Campbell would write more on the case. His article and video were excellent.

Re-post of his video:
JD still bothers me, they couldnt get rid of quickly enough at Apotex, after the killings, you’d think they would want some stability at such a critical time for the company.

JD still bothers me, they couldnt get rid of quickly enough at Apotex, after the killings, you’d think they would want some stability at such a critical time for the company.

JK was the solution to stability IMO.

According to media reports, JK retired as CEO in 2014 after a long career at Apotex including a very close working relationship with Barry. As the time of the murders JK’s capacity was Vice-Chairman of the Board. He would not have had an active day-to-day role in running Apotex and neither did Barry. That’s the role of CEO and President.

But after the murders, almost immediately, JD resigned and then JK stepped out of retirement to take on the CEO role and he did so for an entire year. By all accounts, Apotex had a succession plan in place and perhaps JK played a role in it. Considering he was 77 years old and had already retired, I really doubt he intended to permanently resume his prior career leading Apotex. Therefore I also won’t believe the water-cooler “kicked-out by JS” story until it’s confirmed by at least one of two. While the story does make for sensationalism, that JK agreed to take over the role of CEO at Apotex for a year-long transition period is far more logical to me by representing a great example of corporate succession planning. JW, referred to at the bottom of the quote below is now CEO as well as President, according to Apotex’s website. It’s not as if JS kicked out JK and then took over his job.

Jan, 2018
“Jeremy Desai, president and chief executive of generic drug maker Apotex Inc., which was founded by the late Barry Sherman, has resigned, the company announced Friday.

In a statement provided to the Post, Apotex said Desai was leaving the company “to pursue other opportunities.” The company also announced Apotex vice-chairman Jack Kay would return to the CEO role, a position he occupied four years ago, with president of global generics Jeff Watson becoming the company’s president and chief operating officer....”
CEO of Barry Sherman-founded Apotex resigns ‘to pursue other opportunities’

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members