Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11 2020
People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation
''In the days after they were found dead, Barry and Honey Sherman’s son Jonathon told police there were people who had a reason to “hurt” his parents, according to newly released police documents.

“Jonathon says that his parents were complicated people and that there are people out there who would have a grudge against them and would have a reason to hurt them,” according to police notes of a statement Jonathon Sherman gave to police on Dec. 23, 2017, the week after the Sherman bodies were discovered.

In this first of two statements Jonathon gave to police over a two-day period, he describes his father as “complicated, brilliant, lacking in emotional and social intelligence, unfiltered but genuine.” Jonathon describes his mother as “smart, abrasive, high energy, in your face and blunt, but not in an evil way.”

Who he suggests might have had reason to kill his parents remains under seal. His three siblings (and Sherman friends who are interviewed) also suggest “persons of interest” who might be responsible for the murders in their statements to police and the identity of those people also remains under seal.''

Strange and unemotional way to describe your parents a week after they died. MOO.

The discussion and speculation about who refused to speak to TPS began with a paylocked Star report. Nobody was named.

From google -
www.thestar.com › news › gta › 2019/04/25 › barry-an...
Apr 25, 2019 — Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and 'an ... and that at least one person they want to interview has refused to speak to police. Others they want to speak to may have left the country or simply ...

And anyway on Dec 19, 2019 -
“Idsinga said all members of the family have been cooperative with the investigation.”
Police continue to investigate Sherman murders as private investigative team ends probe

Another comment by Idsinga from the above link -
“When asked if he believed the murders were a “hit,” Idsinga responded, “I don’t think I’d go down that road.”..”

Last edited:
Working from handheld:
1) pointing the finger in all kinds of other directions is a bit sketchy to me... But maybe the police push it hard... And BS is pretty unique
2) describing your mom as " none evil". Yikes
3) TPD "won't talk to police". I took to mean present tense.

Google Jonathan Sherman " bad Columbo episode"
In your item#3, are you referring to today's article?

I also was unable to find anything about bad Columbo episode in relation to JS.. however in your post, I believe you have misspelled his name. I believe it is Jonathon. imo.

The discussion and speculation about who refused to speak to TPS began with a paylocked Star report. Nobody was named.

From google -
www.thestar.com › news › gta › 2019/04/25 › barry-an...
Apr 25, 2019 — Barry and Honey Sherman murder case: Police have working theory and 'an ... and that at least one person they want to interview has refused to speak to police. Others they want to speak to may have left the country or simply ...

And anyway on Dec 19, 2019 -
“Idsinga said all members of the family have been cooperative with the investigation.”
Police continue to investigate Sherman murders as private investigative team ends probe ....
I'm not sure that any other MSM got the same out of Idsinga's words. It seems like cp24 may have added the significant word "all' to their reporting.

This is what was reported in McLean's and I believe other media. My guess is that TPS was not in contact with each of them. jmo.:

Today, Idsinga spoke of the police being “in daily communication with members of the Sherman family” and that police “have a very good relation with them now.” He praised the family, saying they “have been terrific with us, very cooperative.”
Barry and Honey Sherman murders' newest twist: family and police join forces - Macleans.ca

I'm not sure that any other MSM got the same out of Idsinga's words. It seems like cp24 may have added the significant word "all' to their reporting.

This is what was reported in McLean's and I believe other media. My guess is that TPS was not in contact with each of them. jmo.:

Today, Idsinga spoke of the police being “in daily communication with members of the Sherman family” and that police “have a very good relation with them now.” He praised the family, saying they “have been terrific with us, very cooperative.”
Barry and Honey Sherman murders' newest twist: family and police join forces - Macleans.ca

excellent catch Deugirtni!

As I recall Idsinga held a Press Conference at the time the family parted ways with the PI team. If he’d any reason, he could’ve mentioned nothing about the family’s cooperation at all.

From my earlier link as well -
"If you don’t hear it from the primary investigator’s mouth or the major case manager’s mouth, then you’ve got to take everything with a grain of salt... I can’t imagine how disturbing it must be for the family and loved ones of these victims to continually read about speculation in the media."..”

As I recall Idsinga held a Press Conference at the time the family parted ways with the PI team. If he’d any reason, he could’ve mentioned nothing about the family’s cooperation at all.

From my earlier link as well -
"If you don’t hear it from the primary investigator’s mouth or the major case manager’s mouth, then you’ve got to take everything with a grain of salt... I can’t imagine how disturbing it must be for the family and loved ones of these victims to continually read about speculation in the media."..”

In fairness, it’s the job of Insp. Idsinga and the TPS to perform a full investigation, and arrest the guilty parties, hopefully leading to a conviction. Much of the speculation that is still being discussed publicly to this day here and elsewhere in fact originated from the words and actions (or inactions) of his own organization and officers. Only he and his organization are in a position to help the family get some answers and some relief from the speculation that he refers to. So get on with it!

I have learned time after time, that I have to listen to the full video accompanying a reporter's script. In many cases, I find important info that was excluded, due to the reporter's judgment of what is important to report in the space restrictions of newspaper print. At other times, I miss reporter's questions because I can't hear them.

This is not the case in Codi Wilson's cp24 article, and her script is correct in adding that Idsinga said "all" of the Sherman family was being cooperative. In the video, Idsinga said the Sherman family had been cooperative. Later on, he was asked by a reporter if any member of the Sherman family was not being cooperative (great question) and he replied "NO". It's one of the few times I have actually been able to hear a question during a presser. (And yes, I probably need a hearing aid).

Police continue to investigate Sherman murders as private investigative team ends probe

"People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation"
I found this quote from JS most unusual. I am not aware of any other children making a comment like this. I believe sometimes people justify their actions afterwords, by saying negative things about the victims and/or that a unknown number of people disliked the victim implying 'they had it coming'.

This statement also makes me wonder why there was not a follow-up question by the TPS, such as "How do you mean?" "For what reasons?" or "Give me some examples". (There could have been, and they have been redacted.) When a son says people had reasons to to hurt his parents, (hurt in this context was to kill). My intuition says he may know something.

Thanks for the link!

Towards the end of the interview, KD is asked if there’s anything else that stands out for him in the documents that were released (300 pages!)

He replies that it’s very interesting the number of ways people could’ve figured out what the Shermans were doing. Honey was in charge of the family schedule, used a digital outlook calendar on her cellphone and ipad. None of her devices were password protected so anyone picking one up, looking at it would know when she was doing, what she was doing and with whom she was doing it with. He says he finds that very interesting.

I have learned time after time, that I have to listen to the full video accompanying a reporter's script. In many cases, I find important info that was excluded, due to the reporter's judgment of what is important to report in the space restrictions of newspaper print. At other times, I miss reporter's questions because I can't hear them.

This is not the case in Codi Wilson's cp24 article, and her script is correct in adding that Idsinga said "all" of the Sherman family was being cooperative. In the video, Idsinga said the Sherman family had been cooperative. Later on, he was asked by a reporter if any member of the Sherman family was not being cooperative (great question) and he replied "NO". It's one of the few times I have actually been able to hear a question during a presser. (And yes, I probably need a hearing aid).

I agree, I’ve noticed the same on a consistent basis. Reporters cannot possibly transcribe word-for-word an entire 16 minute press conference (video at your link) into 3 or 4 paragraphs due to space constraints. At best, they provide an overview highlighting the main message.

There’s always going to be people who are skeptical of police and that’s their right. But in this instance, I’d certainly believe Idsinga when he speaks of the cooperation of the Sherman family with police - rather than anonymous speculation to the contrary.

JMO

Sad to think that after the murders, two of the offspring split up. imo.
Full article here for anyone who may have missed it all in the Toronto Star link..
People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation

''Police also interviewed Jared Render, who at the time was Kaelen’s fiancé. Render tells police Barry is very generous and is paying for the entire wedding (Kaelen and Jared were married and divorced in the space of six months, after the Sherman funeral.) Render says he had become close to the Shermans through Kaelen, and Barry helped him get a job working as an electrician for his pharmaceutical firm Apotex and also helped Honey out with home technical issues.

“Render says he had gone into (the Shermans’) bedroom a few times to look at the (Amazon) fire stick when it wasn’t working. Render gave the password to his Netflix (and) Honey sent an email saying she loved it,” a police statement reads.

Render also says the Sherman family “begged” Barry to install security cameras in the house on Old Colony Road, but Barry “was never afraid of anything.”

''When Lauren was growing up her parents were the swearing and screaming type but they never got physical,” the detective records Lauren saying on Dec. 22, 2017. “Over time, her parents sorted out their issues and in the past five years they were seen walking around holding hands.”

''While most of his police interviews focus on Barry’s worklife (or is redacted because it would reveal “persons of interest” Jonathon identifies), police do at one point ask him if he knew his parents’ habit when they arrived home. “Jonathon does not know if his parents took their shoes off when going into the house.”

''Police also interviewed daughter Alexandra (Alex) Sherman and her husband Brad Krawczyk. (The couple have since separated). In her interview, Alex is asked about shoes and she says her mother wore a pair of “black slip-on shoes” in the house and outside the home.''

Thanks for the link!

Towards the end of the interview, KD is asked if there’s anything else that stands out for him in the documents that were released (300 pages!)

He replies that it’s very interesting the number of ways people could’ve figured out what the Shermans were doing. Honey was in charge of the family schedule, used a digital outlook calendar on her cellphone and ipad. None of her devices were password protected so anyone picking one up, looking at it would know when she was doing, what she was doing and with whom she was doing it with. He says he finds that very interesting.

One thing a few people mentioned was that Honey was forgetful with her items: scarves in taxis, wallets & gloves in restaurants etc. Linda Frum and JS both mentioned that character trait.

I’m guessing, but she may not have been mindful about where she would leave her electronic devices as well.

If she also didn’t use passwords, it might be very easy for someone close to her to track her schedule.

Did we know before this article was published, that the belts in question were black? I do not recall this information being disclosed previously. If that is “new news”, it leads me to wonder how much info KD has that he has not released (yet).

Did we know before this article was published, that the belts in question were black? I do not recall this information being disclosed previously. If that is “new news”, it leads me to wonder how much info KD has that he has not released (yet).

I’m not sure about the belt colour being mentioned before, but this is the first time I’ve read that JS arrived back from Japan on Tuesday, December 12th.

I also didn’t know that HS had a personal assistant.

The Shermans sounded like vibrant, well-loved people with very full lives. It must be a difficult day today for their loved ones.

Dec 13 2020
Did someone know Barry and Honey Sherman’s schedule? Close friends were away and they had nothing planned
''There was a perfect storm of inactivity and people being away during the two-day period when Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered and their bodies lay undiscovered in their basement swimming pool room.

Did the killer or killers have intimate knowledge of the Shermans’ schedule?''

I feel that I can dismiss as a suspect, any person who worked for the Shermans and may have had access to anything regarding their schedule, or keys to their house. The only benefit of a staff member knowing their schedule, or having a key, would have resulted in a major robbery, which didn't happen.

I don't dismiss any person because they have an alibi of being out of town when the murders occurred. I am not suggesting that they are involved, but they are not cleared imo if this was a professional hit.

Greenspan believes that the Shermans were targeted by professional hitmen. True or not, I don't think the killers needed inside knowledge of Honey's itinerary. They only needed to know that staff didn't come at night. They could deal with any unexpected visitor.

The Sherman family and friends reported a list of persons of interest to LE. It would be interesting to know if anyone reported a POI specifically in regard to Honey. The TPS have made it it clear that this was a targeted double homicide. I think that implies that both were targeted. IMO, that denotes that the killer, or mastermind behind it hated both of them, or didn't care if both of them died as long as the intended person was killed. That could be a deliberate double murder, or a hired killer with no qualms of getting the job done and eliminating any witness.

Funny.... I have had occasion to visit Canadian Tire twice in the past couple of weeks, and each time, I have seen a rack of belts, both brown and black (men's belts), with a sign on top saying $9.99, but now on sale for $6.99, and I can't help thinking of H when I see them. I also think how thrilled she likely would've been to find them on sale for even less!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur