DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Financial Info?
@dotr sbm Thx for link w quote. :)
Hitting paywall at thestar.com website.
So, Apotex laid off some employees in 2017 and planned more in 2018?
Any more specific info in that article? Links to the search warrants? Anyone? TiA.

Unfortunately I don’t think the actual documents have been linked anywhere online, not that I can find.

Surprised that of all the pics they may have chosen to print, this one was included in the article.
Toronto homicide detectives pursued financial motive in Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation, police documents reveal

11 hours ago
Toro
Also surprised that at a time when BS was apparently worried about how he would pay the pending $580 million dollar patent suit, he and HS were making plans to build a multi-million dollar dream home.imo.

The house Honey and Barry Sherman would have built
''The property at 91 Old Forest Hill Rd. is desolate now, an empty 25,000-square-foot lot near Eglinton Ave. W. and Spadina Rd. where a house once stood. The plot of land was registered in Honey’s name in November 2016, and the old house had been demolished to make way for something new''.

Surprised that of all the pics they may have chosen to print, this one was included in the article.
Toronto homicide detectives pursued financial motive in Barry and Honey Sherman murder investigation, police documents reveal

11 hours ago
Toro
Also surprised that at a time when BS was apparently worried about how he would pay the pending $580 million dollar patent suit, he and HS were making plans to build a multi-million dollar dream home.imo.

The house Honey and Barry Sherman would have built
''The property at 91 Old Forest Hill Rd. is desolate now, an empty 25,000-square-foot lot near Eglinton Ave. W. and Spadina Rd. where a house once stood. The plot of land was registered in Honey’s name in November 2016, and the old house had been demolished to make way for something new''.

imo while 580m is a lot of money, apotex either via funding Barry or otherwise would have had little trouble making this payment. Unless BS decided it shouldn’t be made, which I sincerely doubt would have been the case.

Although sensitive case information remains unsealed (as it should) I found it reassuring to see that the Judge realizes the importance of a "free press" in her court.

"Further, Pringle said “the real benefits of (the Toronto Star’s) continued challenge to the sealing orders should not be underestimated. Each time an application to unseal is brought, the case comes back to court to hold the police to account.”

This might sound odd but I enjoy reading about the big sections of redactions on these documents.

Although we don’t know the content, the way I see it, the more that’s redacted the better - it’s an excellent indication of an active, robust homicide investigation.

I’m hoping Jayfriend our blue jay has been notified about the article so this won’t be a spoiler...

“In one part of the warrants, police, in seeking permission from Justice Pringle to conduct a search, state that they might find “an extortion letter to Bernard Sherman.” No reason is given in the documents for that supposition.”

This made me think of Shaun Rootenberg who allegedly defrauded BS. The last day BS was alive, his lawyers filed a lawsuit against Rootenberg. BS also provided a statement to police. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4506346

Rootenberg this year was convicted in another fraud case and was sentenced to six years.https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5744997

O/T, but has anyone found a connection between Myron Gottlieb and Sherman real estate agent Judi Gottlieb?

I’m hoping Jayfriend our blue jay has been notified about the article so this won’t be a spoiler...

“In one part of the warrants, police, in seeking permission from Justice Pringle to conduct a search, state that they might find “an extortion letter to Bernard Sherman.” No reason is given in the documents for that supposition.”

This made me think of Shaun Rootenberg who allegedly defrauded BS. The last day BS was alive, his lawyers filed a lawsuit against Rootenberg. BS also provided a statement to police. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4506346

Rootenberg this year was convicted in another fraud case and was sentenced to six years.https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5744997

O/T, but has anyone found a connection between Myron Gottlieb and Sherman real estate agent Judi Gottlieb?
Imo, no direct connection. speculation.
Earlier Ws discussion.
Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

This might sound odd but I enjoy reading about the big sections of redactions on these documents.

Although we don’t know the content, the way I see it, the more that’s redacted the better - it’s an excellent indication of an active, robust homicide investigation.

I know what you are saying, and I hope that’s the case- that there is actually is an active and robust investigation going on (and not to wish Det Const Yim bad luck, but let’s hope he doesn’t win the lottery).

As we have seen in many cases, large amounts of info are often withheld or redacted by police or authorities in these types of documents, often because LE or another authority (govt, quasi govt, etc) involved has this notion or belief that EVERY little bit of inconsequential information may in fact be critical to their investigation, and therefore needs to be redacted or withheld from the public. This seems to have gotten much worse in recent years, in Canada anyways IMO. These authorities often seem to take the position that the public should never be told anything, about anything or anyone, at any time. Recent examples that come to mind are the NS murder case (RCMP), the WE charity scandal, and even the Sherman case, where Justice Pringle is now looking at all the info that has been withheld, and asking why it should continue to be withheld.

Sometimes it looks to me that the real reason that some of this info isn’t released may be a case of Cover My *** as much as anything!

From your link—the last paragraph(!!!):
In one part of the warrants, police, in seeking permission from Justice Pringle to conduct a search, state that they might find “an extortion letter to Bernard Sherman.” No reason is given in the documents for that supposition.
So, what type of extortion might have been communicated to BS, and by whom?

Extortion - Essential Elements and the Broader Reach of RICO | Stimmel Law
''Extortion is both a tort and a crime and is perhaps far more common than most of us think. The image of the sleazy blackmailer demanding money or threatening to publicize an old scandal is seldom the act that leads to litigation involving extortion. Instead, far more subtle actions can lead to allegations that one has committed extortion.''

''A typical extortion threat is that one will report an alleged crime to the police unless the person pays a sum of money. Another typical threat is that a member of the family will be assaulted unless money is paid.''

https://digitalcommons.law.utulsa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2218&context=tlr
''In his article on threats, Steven Shavell starts off his analysis of threats reasonably enough, by defining and distinguishing between four different varieties.1To put this into table form, they are as follows:Case Threat: Give me valuable consideration, or I will:1. Robbery physically injure you or your property right now 2. Extortion physically injure you or your property in future 3. Blackmail reveal your secrets 4. Business withdraw business (refuse to buy from you)

''A. Preparatory Behavior Shavell treats robbery and blackmail as legal equals 11.However, to carry out blackmail, a person must merely obtain information about the intended target that the latter does not want revealed. To commit robbery, an individual must find a potential victim in circumstances where he could not defend himself or secure help; then, the
perpetrator must threaten or commit violence against the victim''.

'B. The Making of Threats Shavell quite reasonably asserts that for the victim to accede to the threat, "itmust be that T's threat will be carried out if, but only if, V rejects the demand; forthen V will profit by meeting the demand."

''Shavell's treatment of robbery and extortion is, given his logical positivist outlook, a reasonable one, except that he seems to have only private robbers and extortionists in mind. However, as is well known, governments, also, may contain bands of extortionists and thieves, and of course far worse."

I know what you are saying, and I hope that’s the case- that there is actually is an active and robust investigation going on (and not to wish Det Const Yim bad luck, but let’s hope he doesn’t win the lottery).

As we have seen in many cases, large amounts of info are often withheld or redacted by police or authorities in these types of documents, often because LE or another authority (govt, quasi govt, etc) involved has this notion or belief that EVERY little bit of inconsequential information may in fact be critical to their investigation, and therefore needs to be redacted or withheld from the public. This seems to have gotten much worse in recent years, in Canada anyways IMO. These authorities often seem to take the position that the public should never be told anything, about anything or anyone, at any time. Recent examples that come to mind are the NS murder case (RCMP), the WE charity scandal, and even the Sherman case, where Justice Pringle is now looking at all the info that has been withheld, and asking why it should continue to be withheld.

Sometimes it looks to me that the real reason that some of this info isn’t released may be a case of Cover My *** as much as anything!

A Judge concurs with the redactions prior to the release of the documents. As you mention, Justice Pringle is aware of what information is withheld - my point, redactions in an ongoing investigation indicates progress.

“Some redacted search warrant and production order applications, which were recently released by an Ontario Superior Court judge after the Toronto Star pushed for the court documents to be made public, have provided a glimpse at the early stages of the police investigation.”
It's been 3 years since Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead. Court documents reveal what we know so far

Not that it doesn’t make SR a POI, but IIRC I believe he was in jail at the time of the murders.
A Judge concurs with the redactions prior to the release of the documents. As you mention, Justice Pringle is aware of what information is withheld - my point, redactions in an ongoing investigation indicates progress.

“Some redacted search warrant and production order applications, which were recently released by an Ontario Superior Court judge after the Toronto Star pushed for the court documents to be made public, have provided a glimpse at the early stages of the police investigation.”
It's been 3 years since Barry and Honey Sherman were found dead. Court documents reveal what we know so far

Not to be too picky, but generally IMO lately it seems like a judge/similar concurs with or even orders UNredactions, as LE and other parties initially seem to default to redacting almost everything. Jmo.

Not that it doesn’t make SR a POI, but IIRC I believe he was in jail at the time of the murders.

Not to be too picky, but generally IMO lately it seems like a judge/similar concurs with or even orders UNredactions, as LE and other parties initially seem to default to redacting almost everything. Jmo.
I guess that would kind of make sense.. initially in an (any, I would think?) investigation, LE wouldn't want to have to disclose the reasoning behind their requested warrants and ITOs since if it is early, such info could surely jeopardize their investigation? But months/years later, it makes sense to UNredact them, if they have gone past the initial suspicions, and they would no longer pose any threat in that way?

Related article in today's Toronto Star op-ed, written by Dr. Nancy Oliveri about the death of the writer John Le Carre. The author had interviewed Dr. Oliveri extensively in his research for his novel 'The Constant Gardener'. Dr. Olivieri encurred the wrath of Barry Sherman and he used his financial influence extensively to mute her. The novel is a story about 'an international conspiracy of corrupt bureaucracy and pharmaceutical money'.

Related article in today's Toronto Star op-ed, written by Dr. Nancy Oliveri about the death of the writer John Le Carre. The author had interviewed Dr. Oliveri extensively in his research for his novel 'The Constant Gardener'. Dr. Olivieri encurred the wrath of Barry Sherman and he used his financial influence extensively to mute her. The novel is a story about 'an international conspiracy of corrupt bureaucracy and pharmaceutical money'.
Opinion | Nancy Olivieri: How John le Carré changed my life
''The story begins in 1996. As a young(ish) physician and researcher at the Hospital for Sick Children, I raised concerns about the safety of a drug in a clinical trial. My unfavourable findings displeased Barry Sherman, CEO of a drug company that had supplied modest funding to my clinical trials. What followed was the unilateral, abrupt and premature shutdown of my trials, followed by threats that “all legal remedies” would be sought against me if I published my concerns or disclosed them to patients.''

''He knew, as I had only recently discovered, that doctors who signed deals with Pharma regularly concealed side effects of the drug under study. He was aware of how drugs were approved for sale by regulators who, confronted with evidence of biased science, preferred to look the other way. He also understood that Big Pharma exploits not only doctors, universities and hospitals, but also “patient advocacy” groups.

''So I related how disclosure of my negative findings had, unknown to me, threatened the interests — in addition to those of Sherman — of my academic institution. That summer, the University of Toronto had been negotiating the largest donation in the university’s history, with millions promised as well to several affiliated hospitals including the Hospital for Sick Children, from Barry Sherman.''

''At this point my career as a researcher was now in dire peril, while the path to truth-telling had also proved costly: in challenging efforts repeatedly to fire and discredit me, and defences against Sherman, whose threats soon escalated to lawsuits, I ultimately spent over a million dollars. (The longest proceeding, launched after Sherman’s remarks about me to a disbelieving Lesley Stahl on “60 Minutes,” took 14 years to reach a settlement.)

There were more bizarre twists, about which David had of course read. One involved Sick Kids’ researcher Dr. Gideon Koren, who had allied with Pharma interests. Koren denied sending eight months of anonymous hate mail disparaging my supporters, but DNA left on a licked stamp ultimately revealed his authorship. (Koren received a slap on the wrist, unqualified continuing support from the university, and proceeded on to further villainy.)''

Thanks for the reminder WINDSOR, meant to read and/ or watch the film.
The Constant Gardener - Wikipedia

First UK edition cover
''The Constant Gardener is a 2001 novel by British author John le Carré. The novel tells the story of Justin Quayle, a British diplomat whose activist wife is murdered. Believing there is something behind the murder, he seeks to uncover the truth and finds an international conspiracy of corrupt bureaucracy and pharmaceutical money.

The plot was based on a real-life case in Kano, Nigeria. The book was later adapted into a feature film in 2005.''

In unrelated, but relatable news- regarding an activist who was recently found deceased, the death was deemed not suspicious and yet many world-wide apparently disagree with that finding..
The Shermans are referenced in tweets regarding the above case. Fwiw, imo.
https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/status/1341401042253189120
''This brave woman did not flee death in Pakistan to take her own life in Canada. But that is what authorities say happened. In life truth is often stranger than fiction. We need to know the truth here. Whatever it is''

Ws thread..
Found Deceased - Canada- Karima Mehrab, 37, Toronto (Queens Quay/Bay) 20 Dec 2020

I’ve said this before here esp back at the start .... but I never believed they really thought it was M/S.

I’d vote a hitman was used. The apparently personal nature of crime suggests the responsible party was known to them. And anyone sophisticated enough to know this couple would realize it’s a better idea to keep one’s own hands clean.
I would agree that this was professionally done , just due to the lack of evidence to pursue. Even with a $10 million reward, no one is going to turn themselves in. Also if it was a crime of passion, the individual is not going to turn themselves in. Unless, in either scenario, the culprit(s) become terminally ill or feel remorse. From either angle the "Follow the money" suggestion is still the best course of action, in my opinion. Honey and Barry's lives seemed very public, this murder is something that had a long drawn out sordid history or a recent financial occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahburhouse