Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect, the same goes the other way - if the couple were murdered, it's simply the truth, and no one has the right to rewrite history. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

And

Did it ever occur to you that Detective Price might be the best poker player ever, by perhaps playing along with the M/S possibility? Perhaps feigning how what was said to him by certain individuals made sense, etc., when in fact he was thinking the opposite?

In view of the Numerous alleged TPS investigative shortcomings in the early days and weeks- failure to adequately block off the street, failure to follow up with videos held by the neighbours, missing The collection of certain forensic evidence as pointed out by the PI team and Greenspan including hair evidence and a missed point of entry, it’s hard to believe anything other than LE believed it was a M/S in the first six weeks or so. Either that, or we have to believe that LE purposely did not collect available evidence in order to continue their ruse that it was a M/S.

Police aren't really supposed to be showing their hand to witnesses and telling them facts of a given case. I would think it is more 'suspects' that police may 'lie' to, in order to snag a confession or something. It's also possible for people to play along without saying much, and just give the impression that they're in agreement with whatever the other person might be saying. If people care about the Shermans, I'm sure they wouldn't hold back information that could be helpful. I'm thinking they just don't understand that it's possible some of their info might be useful even if it doesn't seem so to themselves. Anyone that is 'holding back information' - wouldn't that make them look guilty, as if they are hiding something?

As I said, or they are scared or don’t trust the police will keep the info private.

If its true that they bluffed/fabricated/lied, is it any wonder that certain people may be holding back information from them?

I can’t think of any reason why someone who has helpful information regarding the Sherman murders, or any crime for that matter, would require information from LE. It would seem to be a one-way street, LE asks questions, they answer as best as they can, or write a statement, sign it and away they go on with their day. Surely nobody expects LE to provide a personalized investigative update to each person whom they interview?

As for someone who’s a possible suspect, I suppose it might be different. I’m also reminded of Canada’s Mr Big operations, which you’ve probably heard of.

Last edited:
As I said, or they are scared or don’t trust the police will keep the info private.

If you’ve followed any trials, often people with critical information are required to testify during a trial. So police may not keep the information private.

Regardless, what is the source that scared, untrusting potential witnesses even exist?

In view of the Numerous alleged TPS investigative shortcomings in the early days and weeks- failure to adequately block off the street, failure to follow up with videos held by the neighbours, missing The collection of certain forensic evidence as pointed out by the PI team and Greenspan including hair evidence and a missed point of entry, it’s hard to believe anything other than LE believed it was a M/S in the first six weeks or so. Either that, or we have to believe that LE purposely did not collect available evidence in order to continue their ruse that it was a M/S.
My post which you are replying to, was directed toward comments made by KW, in that he believed Det Price was a poor poker player based on the hours spent during his interview with him. I am suggesting that rather, KW may have been the one fooled by a 'good poker player'. KW was not interviewed by police until after police had already publicly declared the deaths to be a targeted double homicide. So I am assuming that by that point in time, Det Price *should* have been on board with that determination, along with his colleagues. If he led KW to believe that KW's suspicions regarding M/S were valid, and went along with his way of thinking, it is very possible that Det Price simply went along with KW's thought processes, at least as far as KW was concerned. I am not disputing that TPS made it appear they HAD been thinking M/S for the initial 6 weeks.

from JW article dated February 3, 2018:

Kerry Winter went into Toronto Police’s homicide squad office at about 9 p.m.

He was out by 1 a.m.

“A four-hour interview,” he said Friday.
What homicide detectives asked Winter is unknown. When asked about Winter on Friday, Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash would only say, “We will not be commenting.”

What is known is that he left the building and at 1:38 a.m. texted: “No problem. No worry.”

WARMINGTON: Sherman cousin Kerry Winter speaks with Toronto Police | Toronto Sun
---
from the ebook pg 254:

Kerry Winter, who made astounding claims to the media about how he fantasized about killing Sherman, was not interviewed until the beginning of February.

If you’ve followed any trials, often people with critical information are required to testify during a trial. So police may not keep the information private.

Regardless, what is the source that scared, untrusting potential witnesses even exist?

I am the source, and I think it is entirely possible. But it is my opinion, and that's why I label it as such.
Certainly there are people who may have information who I'm sure are scared or remain fearful for their safety- Jack Kay is one example, as I believe I recall reading that he still travels with security. I would speculate that there are others.

Last edited:

I was not referring to someone having to testify at trial. I was speculating on the possibility that some potential sources of information may fear that the police may disclose information to others during the course of the investigation. And the sources of this information do not want other people to know about the info they possess, as the witnesses may fear that this disclosure potentially impacts their safety; or they do not want others, like family members, to know they have this information. MOO

Last edited:
I am the source, and I think it is entirely possible. But it is my opinion, and that's why I label it as such.
Certainly there are people who may have information who I'm sure are scared or remain fearful for their safety- Jack Kay is one example, as I believe I recall reading that he still travels with security. I would speculate that there are others.

Okay. We also know fear/safety was the reason the trustees didn’t want the Estate files released, KD having taken it to the SCC.

My post which you are replying to, was directed toward comments made by KW, in that he believed Det Price was a poor poker player based on the hours spent during his interview with him. I am suggesting that rather, KW may have been the one fooled by a 'good poker player'. KW was not interviewed by police until after police had already publicly declared the deaths to be a targeted double homicide. So I am assuming that by that point in time, Det Price *should* have been on board with that determination, along with his colleagues. If he led KW to believe that KW's suspicions regarding M/S were valid, and went along with his way of thinking, it is very possible that Det Price simply went along with KW's thought processes, at least as far as KW was concerned. I am not disputing that TPS made it appear they HAD been thinking M/S for the initial 6 weeks.

from JW article dated February 3, 2018:

Kerry Winter went into Toronto Police’s homicide squad office at about 9 p.m.

He was out by 1 a.m.

“A four-hour interview,” he said Friday.
What homicide detectives asked Winter is unknown. When asked about Winter on Friday, Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash would only say, “We will not be commenting.”

What is known is that he left the building and at 1:38 a.m. texted: “No problem. No worry.”

WARMINGTON: Sherman cousin Kerry Winter speaks with Toronto Police | Toronto Sun
---
from the ebook pg 254:

Kerry Winter, who made astounding claims to the media about how he fantasized about killing Sherman, was not interviewed until the beginning of February.

Thanks, I understood what you wrote and added a few other thoughts.

IIRC the TPS PC announcing a targeted double murder occurred on Jan 26th. KW was interviewed later on very same evening the 5th Estate show was aired, on Friday Feb 2nd. Maybe he’ll confirm that and if this interview was scheduled in advance, considering the timing seems to have been intentional.

“Kerry Winter went into Toronto Police’s homicide squad office at about 9 p.m. He was out by 1 a.m.”

“In an interview to be broadcast Friday on CBC's The Fifth Estate, Kerry Winter claims that Sherman asked him to arrange the killing of the pharmaceutical executive's wife on two occasions in the late 1990s.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-cousin-1.4514176

Last edited:
Thinking of when we first learned of the deaths at Old Colony Rd, many of us thought it possibly was due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Unrelated to the Shermans, but a terrible tragedy involving carbon monoxide, occurred in an area near to the former Sherman home last night.
Ws thread..
Toronto, 1 man dead, 4 others hurt, due to carbon monoxide in Bridlepath home, 25 Jan 2021

11 min (5.6 km) via Bayview Ave
Suncrest Drive to 50 old colony - Google Search
The Shermans were the first thing I thought of when I heard this report on the news this morning, mostly because I thought it was in the same area as their home, and also that a call came in for a 'medical emergency' in both cases.

The Shermans were the first thing I thought of when I heard this report on the news this morning, mostly because I thought it was in the same area as their home, and also that a call came in for a 'medical emergency' in both cases.
The cause is not yet known, but there are some suspicions that it may be related to the home's swimming pool. :eek:

When I first read about the Sherman deaths, I also immediately thought of carbon monoxide. The 2014 double homicide of the Carlsons in Calgary has not yet been solved.

Don and Roxanne Carlson slayings: New information and picture released | Calgary Herald
“While the Carlsons’ deaths were initially thought to possibly be the result of carbon monoxide poisoning investigators soon began at their deaths as suspicious and then as homicides.”

Thanks, I understood what you wrote and added a few other thoughts.

IIRC the TPS PC announcing a targeted double murder occurred on Jan 26th. KW was interviewed later on very same evening the 5th Estate show was aired, on Friday Feb 2nd. Maybe he’ll confirm that and if this interview was scheduled in advance, considering the timing seems to have been intentional.

“Kerry Winter went into Toronto Police’s homicide squad office at about 9 p.m. He was out by 1 a.m.”

“In an interview to be broadcast Friday on CBC's The Fifth Estate, Kerry Winter claims that Sherman asked him to arrange the killing of the pharmaceutical executive's wife on two occasions in the late 1990s.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-sherman-cousin-1.4514176

Thanks Misty. With the passage of time, time seems to compress. But just to put things in context, it took TPS (by my estimate) 51 DAYS after the murder to interview KW, based on the timing of his interview that has been reported. We must surely acknowledge that immediately after the murders, KW would certainly have been viewed in any reasonable context as a significant person of interest- certainly IMO in the top 5-7 POI. Can this 51 day period be rationally explained or justified?

Thanks Misty. With the passage of time, time seems to compress. But just to put things in context, it took TPS (by my estimate) 51 DAYS after the murder to interview KW, based on the timing of his interview that has been reported. We must surely acknowledge that immediately after the murders, KW would certainly have been viewed in any reasonable context as a significant person of interest- certainly IMO in the top 5-7 POI. Can this 51 day period be rationally explained or justified?

I don’t understand any of apparent delays, but I believe the police can ask for a statement, but a person is not obligated to make one. Detective Yim has said there’s at least one person they’d like to interview that has declined the request.

KW is the best person to answer why it took so long and also tell us the date the police first asked him to make a statement, but from the last few seconds of this clip it sounds as though KW met with some delays.

Start at the 3:31 time stamp:

I was not referring to someone having to testify at trial. I was speculating on the possibility that some potential sources of information may fear that the police may disclose information to others during the course of the investigation. And the sources of this information do not want other people to know about the info they possess, as the witnesses may fear that this disclosure potentially impacts their safety; or they do not want others, like family members, to know they have this information. MOO

Edited--my ipad froze. There are definitely people who have concerns as Idlager has noted, and that is where Crimestoppers becomes a useful option to report anonymously. It seems that the people KD was referring to had already been interviewed by LE, so theses concerns didn't appear to be a problem.

Last edited:

One home is south of Finch, Old Colony and the CO call was at Lawrence, Bridle Path area.

To me, they're not in the same area at all. Not miles away but not 'close'.

Both very tragic of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member