Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot recall if the 10 million$ reward still stands, but found this sentiment about rewards in general interesting- rbbm.
What money can't buy: information
''Money is offered for "evidence leading to the arrest and conviction" of the culprit. That evidence must be given in court and prosecutors must successfully convict the accused - a deterrent for would-be snitches.

Yet a reward can be valuable in other ways. If a suspect is under surveillance, the announcement of a reward can bring incriminating phone calls or other giveaways.

"It might get the bad guy or bad girl thinking, 'Which one of my friends is going to rat me out for a hundred grand?
' " Mr. Mendelson says.''

Dec 16, 2019

Your second-last paragraph might answer one of the mysteries—how did chief Saunders know that the killer or killers were watching the Greenspan press conference where the reward was announced?

Maybe they were monitoring a few people.

Your post made me look further and I found this:

"Police rewards are offered in those [cases] which cause moral outrage, so you're talking at the high end of the continuum, things like murder, elderly people that have been severely battered - the ones that appeal to human sympathy and emotion."

However, there is little evidence of whether cash rewards do have a positive effect and how often they are paid out.

Even if the police receive a tip off, it may not amount to anything and conditions on the reward may mean the tipster is not eligible for the money, if the information does not "directly" lead to a successful conviction.

"This can be immensely difficult [to prove]," Mr Howe said.

"In some cases, it is obvious if it is the only piece of evidence standing.”

Do cash rewards actually help catch criminals?

That made me think of the possible wrist bindings. What if someone still has them?

Cannot recall if the 10 million$ reward still stands, but found this sentiment about rewards in general interesting- rbbm.
What money can't buy: information
''Money is offered for "evidence leading to the arrest and conviction" of the culprit. That evidence must be given in court and prosecutors must successfully convict the accused - a deterrent for would-be snitches.

Yet a reward can be valuable in other ways. If a suspect is under surveillance, the announcement of a reward can bring incriminating phone calls or other giveaways.

"It might get the bad guy or bad girl thinking, 'Which one of my friends is going to rat me out for a hundred grand?
' " Mr. Mendelson says.''

Dec 16, 2019

Interesting article dotr. I could be wrong, but I have surmised after following many cases, that LE do not offer a reward (and deter family from doing so) until their investigation has run it's course. They don't want to be distracted by false leads and tips motivated by money. They do seem to offer a reward when they are stuck, and need a piece of the puzzle, and know that "someone" knows how to fill it in.

But the conditions of the Sherman family $10 million reward is unique and can't be compared to any other reward offered in Canada. (It is still being offered the last I read).

Departing from protocol around rewards offered by police or CrimeStoppers, lawyer Greenspan did not provide a police number to the public. He provided two dedicated numbers set up by the Sherman family. This was ten months after his investigation into the muders.

Saunders (Toronto Police Chief) said he had concerns with how the integrity of any evidence or information obtained by investigators not with the police would be handled, although he welcomed the reward. I recall TPS had a lawyer involved to agree with proper transmission of info, but it never happened, and TPS didn't receive any of Greenspan's info for many months.

Although Greenspan offered to have a police rep on his committee to assess the worthiness of tips, that never happened. Why would it when TPS were cut out of hearing all of the tips first hand? I have to wonder what Greenspan's team learned in the ten months before the reward was offered to make the decision to have all tips come to their private numbers, and not police or CrimeStoppers.

Two years after the murders, Greenspan's team was out (initiated by daughter Alex, per KD) and TPS finally had the family's confidence to handle the investigation. As we have learned recently, JS was not part of that decision, and has hired his own legal and investigative team, in yet another parallel investigation to TPS.

Noteworthy in Insp.Hank Idsinga's press conference (Dec. 2019) when he announced that Greenspan's investigation was finished, his request that anyone who submitted information to his private investigators should now share those details again with the Toronto police. He declined to elaborate on communications between the two sides, but said officers are asking people to send their tips in again to make sure the force has all the necessary information. In my opinion, that public request suggests his lack of confidence in Greenspan being totally transparent in providing all of the tips that came in. (After all he is a defense lawyer).

Per JS, certainly his sister suspects him of being involved. I think Alex, and her sisters turned to TPS to find the truth.

So, who would pass up a $10 million reward? I think some people have important information pointing to a suspect (as KD has noted) but if it was a professional hit, it would be hard to prove with the apparent lack of crime scene evidence. Without a witness coming forward, I don't see this case going to court.

SHERMAN MURDERS: Toronto cops, family make statement | Toronto Sun

Your second-last paragraph might answer one of the mysteries—how did chief Saunders know that the killer or killers were watching the Greenspan press conference where the reward was announced?

Maybe they were monitoring a few people.

Your post made me look further and I found this:

"Police rewards are offered in those [cases] which cause moral outrage, so you're talking at the high end of the continuum, things like murder, elderly people that have been severely battered - the ones that appeal to human sympathy and emotion."

However, there is little evidence of whether cash rewards do have a positive effect and how often they are paid out.

Even if the police receive a tip off, it may not amount to anything and conditions on the reward may mean the tipster is not eligible for the money, if the information does not "directly" lead to a successful conviction.

"This can be immensely difficult [to prove]," Mr Howe said.

"In some cases, it is obvious if it is the only piece of evidence standing.”

Do cash rewards actually help catch criminals?

That made me think of the possible wrist bindings. What if someone still has them?

IMO Chief Saunders didn't know much about a number of things. I believe he just said that rhetorically, I don't believe he had any specific knowledge of who the killer(s) are, and whether they were watching him on TV that day. MOO

IMO Chief Saunders didn't know much about a number of things. I believe he just said that rhetorically, I don't believe he had any specific knowledge of who the killer(s) are, and whether they were watching him on TV that day. MOO
Saunders needs to take a few drama classes!

Kerry, not sure what you mean, or what is the point you are trying to make?
Immediately following the Greenspan press conference, Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders said he has had to be careful with what he said about the case because he knows “for a fact” that the Shermans’ killers are watching his televised remarks....
Give me a break! Mark’s lips are moving, but he’s full of *advertiser censored*. Just like Susan Gomes press conference. What a ridiculous statement to make.

Immediately following the Greenspan press conference, Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders said he has had to be careful with what he said about the case because he knows “for a fact” that the Shermans’ killers are watching his televised remarks....
Give me a break! Mark’s lips are moving, but he’s full of ****. Just like Susan Gomes press conference. What a ridiculous statement to make.

What if they did have surveillance on suspects?

And back to a previous post, what happened in the kitchen?

This popped up as if new, not sure if it has previously been posted or not..
AUDIO.
The charitable foundation promised at Barry and Honey Sherman’s funeral by their son was never created, as rift among siblings grows
The charitable foundation promised at Barry and Honey Sherman’s funeral by their son was never created, as rift among siblings grows
We talk to Kevin Donovan - Toronto Star reporter''
Reminds me spontaneously of the case of AudreyG, where the victim's preferred Christmas cake never became an ingredient of assortment at the bakery/restaurant ..... ;):( (the harmless version of broken promise).

“Barry’s Plans”......rerun? Didn’t he already tell the story that Barry was about to give his money away to charity?

There must be something new about it, IMO.

This is the first time I’ve noticed that KD is announcing upcoming stories, he normally just links to an article that is already available online.

ETA: Just guessing, but I think BS may have voiced a lack of confidence in JS in the succession plans, and that these stories continue where the last article left off.

Last edited:
There must be something new about it, IMO.

This is the first time I’ve noticed that KD is announcing upcoming stories, he normally just links to an article that is already available online.

ETA: Just guessing, but I think BS may have voiced a lack of confidence in JS in the succession plans, and that these stories continue where the last article left off.

Well at least he doesn’t (yet) announce his upcoming stories using the word “Bombshell!!!”.

Misty, your disdain for KD is well known. Simple solution for your peace of mind is don't read his articles. Lol

It doesn’t affect my piece of mind, I assure you. Is it important that we all agree about everything?

I have no vested interest in the outcome of this case whatsoever other than I hope an arrest will occur soon. But I do not believe the media, nor KD, has the ability to solve this case. I put far greater weight on a thorough and complete police investigation, rather than stories from unnamed sources published by the media.

Last edited:
It doesn’t affect my piece of mind, I assure you. Is it important that we all agree about everything?

I have no vested interest in the outcome of this case whatsoever other than I hope an arrest will occur soon. But I do not believe the media, nor KD, has the ability to solve this case. I put far greater weight on a thorough and complete police investigation, rather than stories from unnamed sources published by the media.

I think everyone agrees with you that TPS is responsible for solving this case. But this case would have gone dead silent three years ago without continued media research and attention. Usually victim families appreciate media attention to keep unsolved cases in the news so that the victims aren't forgotten. This case may be a bit different for apparent reasons, but I for one appreciate his interest and dedication regardless of his reasons.

KD's search for answers and court actions for LE disclosure have been praised by the judge, who acknowledged how important his actions are to keep TPS "accountable". She obviously finds him to be a credible crime journalist.

Of course I don't believe everything he has been told by unnamed sources--that goes without saying. But he is keeping the unsolved Sherman murders alive for public concern. The opposite of that is out of sight, out of mind. Hopefully, TPS don't need any help and will be making arrest (s) soon. And no, we don't have to agree about our opinion of KD. :)

Last edited:
rbbm.
Feb 16 2021
Honey Sherman would have controlled the ‘net income’ of husband Barry’s multibillion-dollar fortune had she lived, sources reveal
''Sherman’s will decreed that if he died, all “net income” from his multibillion-dollar estate would go to wife Honey for her “comfort and maintenance” and “anything else my wife directs,” according to new information the Star has obtained in its ongoing investigation of the 2017 double murder of the high-powered philanthropists.

Honey would not control “capital” decisions, such as whether to invest in or sell shares or a major asset. Still, all the net income after expenses from the operation of businesses like the generic drug giant Apotex or her husband’s many real estate holdings would be hers to do with as she pleased.

With both Shermans dead, the estate — net income and capital — passed directly to the four Sherman children, son Jonathon and his sisters Lauren, Alexandra and Kaelen, to be split equally, according to family sources. As the Star will reveal in coming days, there are ongoing disputes over control and succession of the Sherman empire.

The Star has also learned that nine months before the murders, Barry added a codicil to his will, reducing from eight to four the number of trustees who would preside over his estate. The three Sherman daughters lost their spots as trustees, but son Jonathon kept his. (The relatively new term “estate trustee,” used interchangeably with “executor,” conveys a key legal concept: estate trustees receive the estate of the deceased in trust and have a fiduciary duty to administer it properly, and without conflict of interest, on behalf of the beneficiaries.)

Why is all of this important? The Toronto police have said in open court during the Star’s ongoing attempts to unseal search warrant documents that the estate of Barry Sherman is “embedded” in their homicide investigation. It is important, but police will not say why.''

''While it is not unusual for one spouse to leave assets or income from a business to the other, confidants of the Shermans previously said they thought Barry’s will was not overly generous to Honey.''

From KD article today:
"...The three trustees are now Jonathon, Glasenberg and Krawczyk, who are also the three directors of Sherfam, the family holding company. Jonathon has told the Star that Glasenberg and Krawczyk are allied against him, along with his sisters.

“I have not physically seen Alex Glasenberg since March,” Jonathon said in a late December interview. “He has been refusing to hold meetings because I ask difficult questions.”

Glasenberg told the Star he has been “carrying out my duties in the best interests of the corporations, estate, and all of the Sherman family, including Jonathon Sherman.” He said he is “confident that Jonathon Sherman’s sisters have supported my work and the work of all the companies’ advisers and management to run the companies profitably and maximize their value.”..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!