Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What journalists are making up sources?
If you read the Radar Online article, they state that they have a "Source close to law enforcement" who told them that an "Arrest [is] Imminent" -- it was in the headline and written as: "Arrest Imminent", according to their source. We were discussing the possibilities of this being true or just made up by Radar... as they just seem to copy and paste much of Donovan's work, but add the attention getting headlines and "source" that seem rather suspicious. If they actually had anything new to add to the case, perhaps it would give the more credibility... but, nope.

If you read the Radar Online article, they state that they have a "Source close to law enforcement" who told them that an "Arrest [is] Imminent" -- it was in the headline and written as: "Arrest Imminent", according to their source. We were discussing the possibilities of this being true or just made up by Radar... as they just seem to copy and paste much of Donovan's work, but add the attention getting headlines and "source" that seem rather suspicious. If they actually had anything new to add to the case, perhaps it would give the more credibility... but, nope.

Radar Online is a gossip rag. I don't consider them journalists.

Radar Online is a gossip rag. I don't consider them journalists.

Interesting, by definition of the word by Google/Oxford it’s not only RadarOnline writers who indulges in “gossip” pertaining to this double homicide case. :)

“casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

Interesting, by definition of the word by Google/Oxford it’s not only RadarOnline writers who indulges in “gossip” pertaining to this double homicide case. :)

“casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.
You mean this should be called Webgossips?

ETA I can point to a couple threads right now.

I reread the RadarOnline again. It's things like saying Honey was tortured before she was killed because she had cuts on her face that adds drama without factual evidence. I don't think I've read any other legitimate news source that said she was tortured.

I'm not sure if I agree with the above definition of gossip. Gossip to me is discussing someone who is not present during the conversation.

An official Death Investigation did occur. The results were announced by TPS on Jan 26, 2018. Until such time as death investigations are concluded LE always refer to deaths which may involve criminality as “suspicious”. That’s not at all unique to this case.

“Classified as “suspicious deaths” since Dec. 15, the Shermans are now officially homicides #64 and #65 in 2017.”
Barry and Honey Sherman were murdered, police say
Ok, thanks for letting me know
Are there public results of this investigation?

As does LE. After all, they have admitted that they have a “theory” on the case, which is defined by words such as “ a guess” “speculation” and “supposition.”
We are all in the same boat in this homicide case. Unfortunately, after over 3 years, I am fearful that LE is still stuck at the “ guess, speculation, and supposition” stage.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for letting me know
Are there public results of this investigation?

This is the Press Conference by TPS announcing the deaths were deemed to be a result of a targeted double homicide on Jan 26, 2018. As is the Canadian way, beyond that little or nothing is known about the investigation other than what was contained in the ITOs - documents that supported search warrants/production orders - reported by the media over the past few months.

That trust in journalism in general has been slowly eroding over the years is well known.

Recent survey found 49 % of Canadians think journalists are purposely trying to mislead
https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-trust-1.5936535

I agree to a certain extent. It seems as if there are very few journalists who can present the news anymore without inserting their own perspective on an issue.

Perhaps the general public are incapable of forming their own opinions anymore and need the input of a writer who presents their story with bias.

We are bombarded and saturated with information from many sources. Now people treat the news with the way I used to regard horoscopes. If my day was going to be good and things were looking rosy, I'd embrace it. But if things were going to be tough, I'd dismiss it as voodoo or BS.

That trust in journalism in general has been slowly eroding over the years is well known.

Recent survey found 49 % of Canadians think journalists are purposely trying to mislead
https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-trust-1.5936535

I am one of the 49% who don't trust journalists and news sources in reporting facts. The poll you provided supports my views, but this poll has absolutely no bearing on how Canadians feel about crime journalists who try to help solve murders. There is no politics, ideology or attempts to mislead the public involved in murder cases by credible and award honored crime journalists who state they have unnamed sources, police or otherwise.

KD has that credibility and those awards, and I feel that his continued research as a crime journalist, and his personal court actions for information on the Sherman's murders is more of a passion for him to solve it, than making money from his book or for the Toronto Star, which they both have benefited from.

He is driving this case forward, and I for one appreciate his efforts. I personally don't doubt that his sources are legit. Why we are even discussing Radar Online? I'm surprised it is allowed on Websleuths.

I am one of the 49% who don't trust journalists and news sources in reporting facts. The poll you provided supports my views, but this poll has absolutely no bearing on how Canadians feel about crime journalists who try to help solve murders. There is no politics, ideology or attempts to mislead the public involved in murder cases by credible and award honored crime journalists who state they have unnamed sources, police or otherwise.

KD has that credibility and those awards, and I feel that his continued research as a crime journalist, and his personal court actions for information on the Sherman's murders is more of a passion for him to solve it, than making money from his book or for the Toronto Star, which they both have benefited from.

He is driving this case forward, and I for one appreciate his efforts. I personally don't doubt that his sources are legit. Why we are even discussing Radar Online? I'm surprised it is allowed on Websleuths.

Oddly during any of the interviews I watched of KD, I don’t recall him ever vouching his unnamed sources are 100% truthful. It seems to me he simply writes/reports whatever information he’s given. The reader can then form their own opinion as is a commonality with virtually all media reporting. I see nothing wrong with that at all other than recently he seems to take pleasure in gravitating toward airing the family’s dirty laundry, in general.

Yet your belief appears to be the opposite - if he reports what unnamed sources have told him, it must be true.... because he’s an honoured crime journalist?

Interesting variance in perception.

Do you recall KD providing assurance the information from his unnamed sources is legitimate? I’d think that’d be quite difficult for him as much of what his sources have disclosed would be considered hearsay in a courtroom.

Last edited:
Oddly during any of the interviews I watched of KD, I don’t recall him ever vouching his unnamed sources are 100% truthful. It seems to me he simply writes/reports whatever information he’s given. The reader can then form their own opinion as is a commonality with virtually all media reporting. I see nothing wrong with that at all other than recently he seems to take pleasure in gravitating toward airing the family’s dirty laundry, in general.

Yet your belief appears to be the opposite - if he reports what unnamed sources have told him, it must be true.... because he’s an honoured crime journalist?

Interesting variance in perception.

Do you recall KD providing assurance the information from his unnamed sources is legitimate? I’d think that’d be quite difficult for him as much of what his sources have disclosed would be considered hearsay in a courtroom.

My point related to reporters (eg Radar Online) who may falsely claim that they have sources. I don't think KD would ever resort to that. And no, I don't believe every source provides accurate info, and I don't think KD would assume that either.

My point related to reporters (eg Radar Online) who may falsely claim that they have sources. I don't think KD would ever resort to that. And no, I don't believe every source provides accurate info, and I don't think KD would assume that either.

Just to add, during the recent CTV interview featuring KD posted up thread he said something I found really interesting....my own words, that Sherman family members weren’t too keen on providing him with information but then they began sending him emails. The way he said it, had he added “....out of the blue” the sentence would’ve flowed smoothly.

His comment perked up my ears as I thought it was unusual he’d make that statement. Why should we care if his information was received by email, telephone or in person? Well there’s one reason. I think everyone knows anybody can create a fictitious/fake email addy. Emails are never a reliable source of communication in any business dealings unless the receiver is able to confirm it came from a known sender. LE have the ability to trace the source of an email back to the account holder by subpoenaing the service provider but reporters do not, nor are they required to - a source is a source.

I thought his comment was quite purposeful, as if he was intentionally distancing himself from taking responsibility for what he reported as the information came by email. JMO

Last edited:
Here's an older Radar Online article from 2018 in regards to the Sherman murders:

Were Billionaire Barry Sherman And His Wife Murdered By Multiple Killers?

Of note, this reads quite a bit differently from the most recent article with the seemingly egregious -- and probably bogus -- attention grabbing headlines. The article seems to be relying completely on other publications' sources (as to be expected), while not spouting off the crazy nonsense as in the recent one -- you know, with the "Arrest Imminent" and "Sources close to law enforcement say" nonsense.
This just really makes this even more mysterious for me... why are they suddenly coming out with what seems to be a fake source and absolutely reckless headlines? Unless of course, they actually have this "source", which is highly doubtful, in my opinion.

This might be it.
CTV NEWS
''Kevin Donovan with new revelations in Sherman murder case
•Feb 18, 2021''

Thank you dotr, yes that’s the one I was referring to KDs comments @ about 4:40. I thought you’d posted this already....hey you must be slipping (only joking!!!)

Something else in that interview, KD doesn’t expect the SCC ruling until “later this year”. How late is later this year I wonder, could be several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop