Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who to believe, KD’s unnamed source or JK, regarding Apotex’s financial situation at the time of the murders. As LE have redacted much of the information from the ITOs recently released, relevant to the ongoing investigation, I’d go with JK. If indeed $50 million was asked to be refinanced by JS’s company, I don’t believe there was a dire urgency. One of the reasons is that it’s literally impossible to arrange large corporate financing within just a few days. $50 million would’ve only been a small drop in the bucket if indeed “Barry was scrambling”.

JMO

KD -
“Ever the gambler in business, Barry had lost a drug patent case in the summer of 2017 and Apotex was likely going to have to pay $580 million to a rival company in January 2018. My sources told me Barry had little cash liquidity and was scrambling for ways to pay....”
Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

JK -
“In the weeks leading up to their deaths, Apotex lost a $500 million court case involving a drug patent. It had also just laid off numerous staff, and more cuts were coming.

While the information piqued the interest of investigators, Barry Sherman's long-time business partner Jack Kay told them it likely had nothing to do with the couple's deaths.

"[Barry] would not be fazed by Apotex's financial situation, as Apotex was only one part of Sherman's holdings, and they have other money," Kay told investigators, according to the ITO.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-murder-2021-1.5860527
To me, they essentially say the same things (what KD wrote and JK was said to have said) (maybe JK was also KD's source, for all we know?) One seems a little more specific than the other, ie 580 vs 500. I think the keyword is 'liquidity'. And considering JS's apparent new company, 'Harlo', which is apparently a 'secondary market mortgage provider', it's tough to imagine that JS shouldn't have been able to come up with 50M or 60M by January, since it was July 27, 2017 when B had first mentioned the company's 'liquidity situation' and telling J and AP they should consider 'borrowing from banks'. As it turned out, somehow he did not have to come up with it, after the murders. Fifty million would only have been a drop in a bucket compared to what B was reportedly going to have to pay out, but that would've helped for at least a small portion of it, or perhaps he wouldn't have had to come up with the whole amount right away? We have read before that most of B's billions were tied up in Apotex, and the kids would have to sell the company to get at it.

It's also possible that B was feeling slighted by his son in some way, for some reason, and possibly was testing him. ie if B had, via Sherfam, loaned Hour Investments millions of dollars in good faith for JS and AP to purchase existing storage locations, only for J and AP to turn around and have their company slap huge mortgages on the properties while spending a fraction of the mortgaged amount on the properties and their renos, perhaps BS became aware and wanted to see how they would get out of their jam when asked to come up with a mere 50M. What 'conventional bank' would replace the mortgages on properties for the kind of money they were already mortgaged for, plus another 50-60M on top? Barry had also stipulated they were to get a 'first mortgage'. Not really sure what's going on with those mortgages, but feels like it's somehow interesting. imo.

Any bolding is by me:

"... Jonathon is busy with Green Storage and a new business (Harlo Capital, a secondary market mortgage provider) he started in the fall of 2017." (ebook pg 272)
---
"On July 27, 2017, Barry writes to Jonathon and Paulin: “We are presently unsure what are (sic) liquidity situation will be over the next six months so I am reluctant to have (the family holding company) Sherfam advance more to you in the short term.” Barry adds that Jonathon and Paulin should consider borrowing from banks.

[Out of order from the article and in another email chain] On Oct. 27, 2017, Barry writes to Jonathon to discuss a meeting about Apotex and his other business interests. “I don’t want to meet with you and Adam,” he says. “You are my son.” Jonathon responds that he wants to bring Paulin to the meeting, noting that Barry’s second in command at Apotex, Jack Kay, will be present. In his email, Jonathon refers to himself as the “heir apparent” to the Sherman fortune. Barry replies that yes, “you are my son and heir to the empire” but he complains of Jonathon’s “unwillingness and apparent disinterest” over the years in the Apotex business. Barry adds that Jonathon’s “hostility persists,” but there is no explanation as to what the Apotex founder is referring to. Jonathon writes that if they have the meeting, “it will be with Adam present.” ... Jonathon told me the lunch proposed in October never happened, although they did have one in late November with Paulin present to discuss the short-term cash needs of Green Storage, along with Barry’s request for the repayment of the $50 million to $60 million.
On Nov. 16, Barry writes to Jonathon and Paulin, copying Alex Glasenberg, Sherfam’s chief financial officer. Subject line: Arranging mortgages. “We might have to pay the 580 million judgment in January,” Barry writes. “We thus need to take steps to improve liquidity, in case needed. I thus request that you discuss with Alex and arrange first mortgages to enable repaying 50-60 million to (Sherfam) if possible. Please do within weeks.”
On Nov. 28, ...Paulin writes to Glasenberg, copying Barry and Jonathon. Subject: Short term cash needs. “Please see attached a breakdown of our immediate cash needs. Barry has agreed to cover us with these needs.” Paulin and Jonathon were requesting $6.2 million by Dec. 15 and another unspecified amount “no later than Jan. 15.” In my interview with Jonathon, he said they needed this money to fund plans already in the works to “build out” some of their storage facilities. Three minutes later, Barry writes back: “Adam: As discussed, you have to take steps immediately to arrange mortgages (to repay the $50-60 million). What will you do and when?”

Two days later, Jonathon and his husband, Fred Mercure, flew to Japan for a vacation. Jonathon says he believes Paulin had conversations with two banks regarding the mortgages. While in Japan, he said, he “started learning and trading” cryptocurrency and put the whole matter of the mortgages out of his mind. He said there were no more emails about the funding issue. He and Mercure would return home on Dec. 12, in the evening.

I suggested there were “gaps” in the email chain he provided, but he said there were none.

Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business - Today News Post

I believe he asked JS and AP to mortgage the properties (ie with a commercial lender), and repay $50-$60M to Barry. That is not the same as BS simply registering a mortgage on the properties but not getting any return of the money he advanced.

Why only $50 to $60 million and not $125 million, the amount of the loan?

“Barry Sherman had provided at least $125 million to Jonathon and Paulin over the years in the form of interest-free loans registered on title to their storage company, Green Storage, along with money for homes and a cottage. My own review of public land title documents suggested that more than $200 million was made available by Barry, but Jonathon said that he and Paulin only ever needed $125 million of that amount...”
Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

Why only $50 to $60 million and not $125 million, the amount of the loan?

“Barry Sherman had provided at least $125 million to Jonathon and Paulin over the years in the form of interest-free loans registered on title to their storage company, Green Storage, along with money for homes and a cottage. My own review of public land title documents suggested that more than $200 million was made available by Barry, but Jonathon said that he and Paulin only ever needed $125 million of that amount...”

AP’s share(?)

I believe he asked JS and AP to mortgage the properties (ie with a commercial lender), and repay $50-$60M to Barry. That is not the same as BS simply registering a mortgage on the properties but not getting any return of the money he advanced.
Okay, thanks.

I still think the headline "repay" is misleading, I would use the term "refinance". BS knew they would be able to arrange for a bank to take over the loan, he wasn't leaving them in any financial hardship.

Reply to Lexintoronto:

Very easily: 1) bank transfer through numbered accounts, Swiss, Panama, Caymans, 2) gold bars 3) simple cash 4) evaporation of loans made [substantial amounts owing.....] . There was ample time for any of this to happen from time of death of HS to eventual finding of the two bodies. Again, I underline: this is just a theory. Find a leak in it and I will forever rule it out. Finally: after all these years, no other theory has led to an arrest of third party(ies). My theory rests on how a person with BS personality would solve his tragic situation. Analyze the man, see how he would react. Another possibility: BS could have convinced someone very close to seal the fate of the family's honour and reputation.

Reply to Lexintoronto:

Very easily: 1) bank transfer through numbered accounts, Swiss, Panama, Caymans, 2) gold bars 3) simple cash 4) evaporation of loans made [substantial amounts owing.....] . There was ample time for any of this to happen from time of death of HS to eventual finding of the two bodies. Again, I underline: this is just a theory. Find a leak in it and I will forever rule it out. Finally: after all these years, no other theory has led to an arrest of third party(ies). My theory rests on how a person with BS personality would solve his tragic situation. Analyze the man, see how he would react. Another possibility: BS could have convinced someone very close to seal the fate of the family's honour and reputation.
Can I ask what is the objection to believing TPS's determination of targeted double homicide? It seems that both pathologists who performed autopsies are also in agreement with that determination, as well as with each other. If the wrist-markings on both victims with no bindings found aren't enough to create a 'leak' in the M/S theory, what might be considered enough to create a leak? I guess for me, when we read that the bodies were found leaning 'backward', rather than 'forward', that seems very awkward for a self-hanging. It seems someone may have gotten mixed up in their staging efforts, imho. Why is it so difficult to believe that someone may have wanted these people dead for some reason?

This is just another scenario that has played in my mind. Is it possible that this has nothing to do with money and all of B's holdings and corporations? Could H have been having an affair? Was she being blackmailed? It has been stated that it appeared to be a very horrible and personal type of murder. Did someone want to get back at her or humiliate them? Perhaps, letting B know of the affair before killing him. This is probably way off, go ahead sleuths and shoot holes in the theory. I just wanted to put this out there.

AP’s share(?)

A half of mortgage from one of Barry’s company and 1/2 refinanced elsewhere has no impact on the value of shares as the company’s debt remains the same.

I notice KD has a habit of consistently dropping details, then leaving the reader to speculate about the significance. Because he surely must’ve asked the question “why $50-$60 million?”. It’s just as likely the actual response wasn’t nearly so incriminating or scandalous and that’s why KD didn’t add a further explanation.

IMO the mark of a good investigative journalist is to provide answers, not pose unanswered questions.

JMO

Last edited:
This is just another scenario that has played in my mind. Is it possible that this has nothing to do with money and all of B's holdings and corporations? Could H have been having an affair? Was she being blackmailed? It has been stated that it appeared to be a very horrible and personal type of murder. Did someone want to get back at her or humiliate them? Perhaps, letting B know of the affair before killing him. This is probably way off, go ahead sleuths and shoot holes in the theory. I just wanted to put this out there.

i think that scenario, and others, are possible.

A half of mortgage from one of Barry’s company and 1/2 refinanced elsewhere has no impact on the value of shares as the company’s debt remains the same.

I notice KD has a habit of consistently dropping details, then leaving the reader to speculate about the significance. Because he surely must’ve asked the question “why $50-$60 million?”. It’s just as likely the actual response wasn’t nearly so incriminating or scandalous and that’s why KD didn’t add a further explanation.

IMO the mark of a good investigative journalist is to provide answers, not pose unanswered questions.

JMO

imo the amount Barry asked them to repay is irrelevant. The question is why did he ask them?

imo the amount Barry asked them to repay is irrelevant. The question is why did he ask them?

Is the amount irrelevant only if it doesn’t fit the theory?

Barry demanding that he be repaid the full amount of a loan could indicate he’d chosen to sever his involvement entirely for reasons unknown. Only a partial amount suggests other reasons, unknown. Either way, we don’t know “why” because the investigative journalist perhaps didn’t ask the right questions.

JMO

rbbm—I don’t understand the bolded part. As I understand it, Sherfam (Barry’s company) loaned AP & JS approximately $125 million. That $125M went into Hour Holdings (AP & JS’ company), which then repackaged the debt and applied it to Green Storage and other AP & JS’scompanies/properties...on properties worth 1/5 of the mortgages applied to them. (We don’t know the true value of the 2 properties purchased in 2016/2017).

I think Barry asking for the return of $50-60 million months after he loaned it to them to purchase a property would make a huge impact on them financially if they had to take out a bank mortgage. They’d be paying down the interest only for years, in addition to all the other fees involved....and that’s if it was even possible for them to qualify for the mortgages in the first place.

Most importantly, an independent financial institution would be appraising their true assets and AP & JS would be accountable to them for the duration of the loans.

I won’t repost all of the financial details again, but KD has documented them well.

rbbm—I don’t understand the bolded part. As I understand it, Sherfam (Barry’s company) loaned AP & JS approximately $125 million. That $125M went into Hour Holdings (AP & JS’ company), which then repackaged the debt and applied it to Green Storage and other AP & JS’scompanies/properties...on properties worth 1/5 of the mortgages applied to them. (We don’t know the true value of the 2 properties purchased in 2016/2017).

I think Barry asking for the return of $50-60 million months after he loaned it to them to purchase a property would make a huge impact on them financially if they had to take out a bank mortgage. They’d be paying down the interest only for years, in addition to all the other fees involved....and that’s if it was even possible for them to qualify for the mortgages in the first place.

I won’t repost all of the financial details again, but KD has documented them well.

We just don’t have enough information. If a debtor who requests repayment of a partial loan has any reason to believe it would cause a negative impact, then he also jeopardizes repayment of other outstanding amounts too, so that wouldn’t really make sense. Without knowing anything about the company’s revenue or ability to repay we can only guess.

But it’s not at all usual for a wealthy family member to provide interim financing for various purposes including launching a new business, building new or improving existing real estate that’s been purchased. Then once such things such as financial statements including cash flow and appraised values are established, the business owners are in far stronger position to apply for bank financing on what already exists, as opposed to a proposal for a start-up business. There’s nothing at all nefarious about a wealthy relative providing initial financial assistance in that regard, it’s very common.

We just don’t have enough information. If a debtor who requests repayment of a partial loan has any reason to believe it would cause a negative impact, then he also jeopardizes repayment of other outstanding amounts too, so that wouldn’t really make sense. Without knowing anything about the company’s revenue or ability to repay we can only guess.

But it’s not at all usual for a wealthy family member to provide interim financing for various purposes including launching a new business, building new or improving existing real estate that’s been purchased. Then once such things such as financial statements including income and appraised values are established, the business owners are in far stronger position to apply for bank financing. There’s nothing at all nefarious about a wealthy relative assisting in that regard, it’s very common.

Sherfam loans to JS and other family members were unique as they had no repayment schedules or interest attached. They were informal. I don’t think Barry was concerned about risking the remaining debt with JS, IMO.

Barry was simply asking his son to repay half the amount he loaned him as Apotex was in a financial ‘crisis’: JS’s word. Barry stated that it was because of liquidity challenges and the $500 million + debt he had to repay.

Why not ask for all the $125 million back? My guesses are that a) Barry may have guessed correctly that they couldn’t receive a $125 million bank mortgage on what they owned or it would create a financial hardship—JS was relying on Barry for ‘cash needs’ with frequency, b) Barry was calling in a few partial loans from different sources to ease the pressure, c) there are reasons only Barry could explain, or d) he was no longer interested in financing AP for some reason. He wanted AP’s share returned and may have wanted out of that triangle—my guesses and opinions only.

If Honey was having an affair, and somebody was blackmailing her about it, the blackmailer would not kill her, as Honey was the source of the blackmail income. The Blackmailer would not kill Barry either, because Barry was the 'leverage' used against Honey. The Blackmailer would want to keep both Shermans alive to keep the revenue stream going. Historically in blackmail situations, the blackmailer is the one most at risk of death.

Sherfam loans to JS and other family members were unique as they had no repayment schedules or interest attached. They were informal. I don’t think Barry was concerned about risking the remaining debt with JS, IMO.

Barry was simply asking his son to repay half the amount he loaned him as Apotex was in a financial ‘crisis’: JS’s word. Barry stated that it was because of liquidity challenges and the $500 million + debt he had to repay.

Why not ask for all the $125 million back? My guesses are that a) Barry may have guessed correctly that they couldn’t receive a $125 million bank mortgage on what they owned or it would create a financial hardship—JS was relying on Barry for ‘cash needs’ with frequency, b) Barry was calling in a few partial loans from different sources to ease the pressure, c) there are reasons only Barry could explain, or d) he was no longer interested in financing AP for some reason. He wanted AP’s share returned and may have wanted out of that triangle—my guesses and opinions only.

Yeah anything’s possible.

I really do believe there’s been more than enough rumour and speculation floating amongst everyone who had close ties to the Shermans, had they all passed it along to KD, he could’ve written a sequence of feature articles focusing on several different possible suspects. And probably he could leave open enough unanswered questioned so that each time we might conclude “aha, that’s who!”.

But it’s only LE who have the ability to investigate the crime beneath the spoken or printed word and hopefully they’re close to an arrest soon. Although I don’t have the interview at hand, iirc in the past even KD denies he “knows”.

JMO

Why would BS ask JS to pay him back? Imo, because he could.
Thinking BS just wanted to 'slap' JS and AP down a bit, by giving a cuff to the head (wallet) as a reminder that BS was still top dog.
speculation, imo.

If Honey was having an affair, and somebody was blackmailing her about it, the blackmailer would not kill her, as Honey was the source of the blackmail income. The Blackmailer would not kill Barry either, because Barry was the 'leverage' used against Honey. The Blackmailer would want to keep both Shermans alive to keep the revenue stream going. Historically in blackmail situations, the blackmailer is the one most at risk of death.
OK the blackmailer part is likely off, but what if H was seeing someone and the guy wanted her to leave B figuring she would get a huge settlement and they could live a really good life together. H refuses to disrupt her life and go through the disaster of a divorce and the guy does it for revenge. Just trying to think outside the box.

OK the blackmailer part is likely off, but what if H was seeing someone and the guy wanted her to leave B figuring she would get a huge settlement and they could live a really good life together. H refuses to disrupt her life and go through the disaster of a divorce and the guy does it for revenge. Just trying to think outside the box.

Evidence? Has this alleged affair been mentioned by LE or the press at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliviamadyy