CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BP explained that it took time to get it to this point - they collected 4 TERABYTES of video.. cataloguing it, figuring out/confirming the time, identifying every single person pictured in any of the vids EXCEPT for this one person, recognizing that this person appeared in several of the videos collected, etc.. and they only release if it serves a purpose to them. It seems like they may have wanted to solve this without having to go to the public with this. I'm sure I hope they know what they're doing and everything is strategic, in intent and timing. imo.
I agree, IMO they had the video years ago but kept silent about it, keeping it in their back pocket in order not to reveal what they had to the suspect. In case they came across other irrefutable evidence that would tie the suspect definitely to that footage (eg gps data, or something similar)

Putting something out to the public inspires an overwhelming blizzard of useless tips. I noticed Price asked for tips 'if you know the person was in the area or is connected to the Sherman family'. Don't call in your good-for-nothing brother-in-law who lives in Yugoslavia, hoping you'll get $10 million.

They certainly know much more than they're saying, the question is, how much.

JMO

Last edited:
Police release video footage of suspect in murder of Barry and Honey Sherman
rbbm.
'When asked why it took four years to release this video, Price said the police service is constantly trying to balance public interest with the integrity of the investigation.

"The investigative considerations were that the cost to the investigation by releasing this early on would have outweighed the benefit of releasing it early on," he said.''

"So we undertook these investigative steps, exhaustive investigative steps, to identify this individual, and now having gotten to the point where we have not been able to do so with these videos, this is now the prudent time to release this to the public and seek the public's assistance."

''Price confirmed that investigators are not ruling out the possibility that there is more than one suspect involved in the murders.''

Looks like Night Vision taping to me and any light will be reflected from the snow.

I only noticed the toe flick of the right foot after it was mentioned by BP. The person does not do it with his left foot at all.

Last edited:
Looks like Night Vision taping to me and any light will be reflected from the snow.

I only noticed the toe flick of the right foot after it was mentioned by BP. The person does not do it with his left ft at all.
Off the top of my head speculation, imo, maybe the suspect has a hip problem, or- if this makes sense to anyone- an angry/purposeful walk, storming over, slamming dominant leg down?

The sidewalks in this video are throwing me...on googlemaps the homes immediately around the Sherman residence have sidewalks that are tight up against the road. Unless this video was taken on a neighboring street, or further down?

The sidewalks in this video are throwing me...on googlemaps the homes immediately around the Sherman residence have sidewalks that are tight up against the road. Unless this video was taken on a neighboring street, or further down?

Agreed. It would be helpful to know where this was in relation to the Sherman house.

Google street view would be the additional tool needed just plonk the little yellow man (sorry person) onto the spot you want or sometimes you can just click street view. I can do this but need the address and am just assuming someone more familiar with the area and the case will do it first.

I realize the house is gone should still be easy.

It should be fairly easy for reporters to figure out where this video was shot, and how close it is to the Sherman house. There is a fire hydrant in the video which should make it fairly identifiable. It would be interesting to see if this video was shot from a location across the street from the Shermans, especially since near the end of the video the person appears to turn their head to the right and look across the street.

Not sure where in the neighborhood this is, it is not on Old Colony Road. The sidewalk on Old Colony is close to the road and is more like a cobblestone curb, not very wide, no blvd either. This video is on concrete with a large blvd between the sidewalk and roadway. Also, homes are closer together, with less mature trees to provide side property privacy.

I looked around google maps of the local Old Colony area and the fire hydrants are red bottom with a yellow top, not all yellow like shown here. On area streets that have similar sidewalks, you see all yellow fire hydrants.

Maybe the reason for posting this specific image is to let the perp know that they know his/her route on foot. If they have this person in multiple shots, a list of those streets would have been nice to share. Not the specific videos or addresses but they could have told us where this person wandered/walked. That may assist with someone recognizing the person.

Also, they say acted suspicious, I have not read yet what behavior that was yet, is it considered suspicious to be walking without a dog across many blocks/neighborhoods in the freezing cold?

Still looking back at the weather reports for that time, I remember many snowstorms/squalls and double-digit below zero winds that week too. This appears to have been recorded after one of those snowfalls. the driveway is freshly cleared, same with the sidewalk.

this link shows the weather for Dec 13 - 15th 2017.

Weather in December 2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If this video was taken after the snow stopped and people had time to shovel it was well past midnight and it was windy and cold out.

Wed Dec 13, 6 pm to Thurs Dec 14th 12 am it was cold -10 before windchill and we had snow. ** understanding we had snow the week prior. 10/11 and 12th, a lot of snow but much warmer.

Google street view (this little yellow human figure you can drag to the street address) is the tool needed I will let someone who knows the area or case better do it though. I think he looks across the street three times (?) once at the driveway twice after passing it?

Just saw previous post if not the Sherman house then what is he looking at? I think the suspicious elements if what else they have and him coming into and out of a frame within the time period the murder happened. I am surprised this is not Old Colony Road it sounds like they are making this conjecture on fairly wide visual evidence though of course we cannot know. The question is not why it took them so long but why they chose this piece of video if it is not very close to the Sherman house. Surely they don't have a clearer video they are holding back.

Last edited:
Quote from the article:

<<<this individual coming into a very defined area around the Sherman's household and remaining in that area for a period, and then leaving from that area," Price said.

Price did not rule out the possibility that this person could have a legitimate reason for being outside the Sherman home at the time of the murders but said they were around the property for a "very suspicious amount of time." >>>

BBM

Off the top of my head speculation, imo, maybe the suspect has a hip problem, or- if this makes sense to anyone- an angry/purposeful walk, storming over, slamming dominant leg down?
Hard to say, slowed down it seems both strides are equal length, and the person can walk briskly without trouble. It's very subtle, almost seems from the beginning that the left leg crosses too far in front.

I think Price suggested a possible injury: IMO an injury can cause our gait to be distorted by compensating for it, and then even when it's healed the gait is affected unless you do deliberate physio/yoga to get both sides back to equal strength/flexibility.

I'm sure they've had experts analysing it, too.

Quote from the article:

<<<this individual coming into a very defined area around the Sherman's household and remaining in that area for a period, and then leaving from that area," Price said.

Price did not rule out the possibility that this person could have a legitimate reason for being outside the Sherman home at the time of the murders but said they were around the property for a "very suspicious amount of time." >>>

BBM
A quick (partial) defense of KW: I do not think we need to join in the obvious campaign to discredit him. The sister in law obviously is concerned about out how his instability was affecting the court case and her claim that she cared for the health of KW first is not likely.

I certainly abhor these murders but (another version of my same point) most of us didn't know the Shermans and don't need to join in by creating praise poems and hagiographies of their lives.

Barry sounds like a shrewd and at times rough businessperson. It is generally felt that lots of people would want him dead at a business level at least for sure. That is hardly unique to Apotex! I find KW fairly sympathetic: yes he seems overwrought but he no doubt believed he deserved money. He blurts out personal hard truths yes that many would keep hidden but are hardly unique to him. I hope he managed to stay clean.

It is obvious that he KW et al were screwed out of money at a moral/ethical/human level though not at a legal level. Note: none of the Shermans offered to settle from what I know yet it is obvious Barry used a clever strategem to bypass the agreement earlier made. IMO they did deserve something and it should have not required the judgment of a court. The judge made the right decision according to law but so what?

All of this somewhat aside from these unneccesary brutal (and bizarre in method) murders.

I roamed the streets on Google Streetview. Is there where the video is from? Note the fire hydrant and the way the driveway is narrower past the sidewalk. And the trees.

62 Bannatyne Dr, Toronto, Ontario | Instant Street View
Looks like it to me.

15 minute walk to Sherman's by sidewalk, along very quiet residential streets ie few streetlights, no stores or main street crossings.

This address is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood...I bet he took a long, long roundabout route to avoid being identified with a vehicle or personal address.

Looks like it to me.

15 minute walk to Sherman's by sidewalk, along very quiet residential streets ie few streetlights, no stores or main street crossings.

This address is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood...I bet he took a long, long roundabout route to avoid being identified with a vehicle or personal address.

Yes, I'm wondering now where he parked that his car was not caught on camera.

Yes, I'm wondering now where he parked that his car was not caught on camera.
There are ravines in the area, subways, or perhaps public underground parking. But, it doesn't matter: there are cameras everywhere, and with enough patience, police can and will map and check every route out of a ravine, every entry and exit to a subway and parkade.

Last edited:
Last edited:
why they chose this piece of video if it is not very close to the Sherman house. Surely they don't have a clearer video they are holding back.
Price answered in the presser, this is the best piece of footage they have, showing the suspect most clearly. Probably from homeowners who invested in the best camera money can buy.

Whereas the Sherman's didn't have any cameras. No doubt a source of frequent frustration to police, who've had to undertake this extra-laborious process.

They don't have to convince us they have other footage, but hopefully they'll do that for a jury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8