CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There must've been something extremely compelling to have police believing this was a murder suicide at the beginning. Some individual police officers may have believed this, based on past experience with finding two old people dead together, but the TPS never, ever officially stated this.

I think many of us are getting confused with the fact the TPS did not know what happened, and were investigating the event so as have the evidence lead them to a conclusion. Saying the TPS initially believed it was a M/S then changed their mind is in my opinion, wrong. Good police forces investigate to discover what happened, they do not assume what happened, then investigate. IMO

I notice it’s continually mentioned police believed it was m/s. But as the TPS homicide team never officially stated the deaths were anything more than “suspicious”, my question is how do we really know what TPS “believed” as it’s not as if we’re speaking of one specific person who has the ability to believe.

I don't think anyone thinks that LE's attendance at an autopsy denotes that they have any participation in the scientific results. We know that the police investigation is separate from the coroner's investigation.

The first autopsies did NOT provide "conclusive" answers, as you stated. Dr. Pickup was undecided as to the manner of death (although he suspected homicide) and TPS had a chance to attend the autopsies conducted by Dr. Chiasson, Dr. Pickup's teacher, a respected, experienced pathologist who is a retired Ontario Chief Pathologist. Dr. Pickup was there--there is no excuse for TPS not attending the second autopsies. I think they resented the family hiring an outside investigative team and their egos got in the way. You have to understand "rival" police mentality. I've seen it happen many times. I suspect that ego rivalry was in play, and if not, there is no other excuse that I can think of.

Your post made me think of the stand-off between TPS and Apotex over Barry’s office and all of his electronic devices. The police weren’t granted permission to search his devices until January 15, 2018. Four weeks of wasted time. When they were able to access his office, Apotex lawyers had to be present and approve what the TPS could access.

Maybe that had something to do with the police not clearing up the m/s rumours. And maybe it made the police suspicious of what was being withheld? Frustrated? Apotex was trying to protect intellectual property, but I’d think they’d move faster in light of the circumstances.

If it were an average family with two sudden deaths, and the family denied access to one of the decedent’s items, I don’t think the police would be able to publicly clear the person until they had access to all the evidence. My view only.

Last edited:
Getting back to Barry Sherman and the quest for a medical cannabis pill (Barry Sherman was helping to develop ‘pot pill’ for medical marijuana users), I found this article from early 2018 about a deal between an unnamed Canadian company and an Israeli pharmaceutical company for medical cannabis oil.

Israel's Together gets Canadian deal for 5 tonnes of cannabis oil

It's interesting that this leads back to an Israeli intelligence company called Black Cube, through the chairman of the board of Together, who was a Black Cube advisor.

Ex-Israel Police Chief Named Board Chairman Of Medical Cannabis Firm Together

More about Black Cube here:

Black Cube - Wikipedia

It's unfortunate that we don't know the name of the Canadian company.

Getting back to Barry Sherman and the quest for a medical cannabis pill (Barry Sherman was helping to develop ‘pot pill’ for medical marijuana users), I found this article from early 2018 about a deal between an unnamed Canadian company and an Israeli pharmaceutical company for medical cannabis oil.

It's interesting that this leads back to an Israeli intelligence company called Black Cube, through the chairman of the board of Together, who was a Black Cube advisor.

Black Cube - Wikipedia

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vivian-bercovici-black-cube-1.6034555
''Black Cube made headlines in 2017 when it was discovered that Hollywood film executive Harvey Weinstein had hired it to dig up information on the women accusing him of sexual assault, and on the journalists pursuing the story.

In Canada, Black Cube has been criticized by an Ontario court for attempting to discredit a judge by trying to get him to make antisemitic comments in secretly recorded meetings.
Bercovici was appointed ambassador by then-prime minister Stephen Harper in January 2014. She was removed from her post by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in June, 2016.''
"In one of the messages Bercovici sent a potential Black Cube client in 2019, she says she can provide a wide range of services, such as undercover surveillance, finding hidden information about third parties' personal lives and tracing bank accounts and assets.''
''These messages were provided to Radio-Canada/CBC as Bercovici and some of her supporters — including Sen. Linda Frum, a personal friend — were accusing Radio-Canada/CBC of antisemitism in previous reporting on the former ambassador.''

Honey Sherman: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
shermans-e1513450533354.png

Twitter/Linda Frum Senator Linda Frum shared this photo after Honey Sherman's death was announced, writing, "Two weeks ago it gave me immense joy to present a Senate medal to one of the kindest and most beloved members of Canada’s Jewish community. Today I am gutted by the loss of Honey and Barry Sherman. Our community is steeped in grief. I am heartbroken."

Last edited:
From Gina20's excellent post which refers to a relationship between Black Cube and Together, the Cannabis Oil supplier in Israel.

Black Cube - Wikipedia
What are the chances that Black Cube could discover the identity of the Night Walker? They appear to have a great deal of expertise in discovering things.

This article refers to the Canadian company, purchasing the Cannabis oil,
being licensed in Canada 2018. Here is a list of companies first licensed in 2018

Did any of these firms had a direct or indirect relationship with the Sherman extended family, Apotex, or related investment companies?

NAME.. Province...Date of first license approval.
Aurora Cannabis Enterprises Inc. AB 1/26/2018
OGEN Ltd. AB 4/27/2018
Boaz Pharmaceuticals Inc. AB 6/22/2018
Sundial Growers Inc. AB 9/14/2018
Atlas Growers Ltd. AB 10/12/2018
Pure Sunfarms Corp. BC 3/2/2018
Supreme Cannabis Ltd. (2nd site) BC 4/27/2018
Good Buds Company Inc. BC 6/8/2018
Folium Life Science Inc. BC 6/22/2018
Voyage Cannabis Corp. BC 7/20/2018
0989561 B.C. Ltd. d.b.a. Canandia BC 10/12/2018
Valens Agritech Ltd. BC 10/12/2018
0957102 BC Ltd. d.b.a. APOTHECARY BOTANICALS BC 10/16/2018
Sitka Weed Works Inc. BC 10/16/2018
Whistler Medical Marijuana Corp. (2nd site) BC 10/16/2018
Tidal Health Solutions Ltd. NB 4/13/2018
BeeHigh Vital Elements Inc. NL 11/16/2018
Aqualitas Inc. NS 1/19/2018
AtlantiCann Medical Inc. NS 12/7/2018
Noya Cannabis Inc. ON 1/19/2018
CannMart Inc. ON 3/16/2018
Thrive Cannabis ON 3/16/2018
MediPharm Labs Inc. ON 3/29/2018
WPCP Ltd. ON 3/29/2018
High Park Farms Ltd. ON 4/13/2018
Northern Green Canada Inc. ON 4/13/2018
Maricann Inc. (3rd site) ON 4/20/2018
Weed Me ON 4/27/2018
Toronto Herbal Remedies Inc. ON 6/8/2018
WeedMD Rx Inc. (2nd site) ON 6/8/2018
Mera Cannabis Corp. ON 6/29/2018
CannTx Life Sciences Inc. ON 7/13/2018
Fleurish Cannabis Inc. ON 8/3/2018
Medical Cannabis by Shoppers Drug Mart Inc. ON 9/21/2018
Seven Leaf Med. ON 9/21/2018
FIGR Norfolk Inc. ON 9/28/2018
AAA Heidelberg Inc. ON 10/12/2018
Cannacure Corporation ON 10/12/2018
Good & Green Corp.(1st site) ON 10/12/2018
MEDISUN Inc. ON 10/12/2018
ARA - Avanti Rx Analytics Inc. ON 12/24/2018
Abide Inc. ON 12/31/2018
Dalton Chemical Laboratories Inc. ON 12/31/2018
Lupos (Canada) Biotechnology Inc. ON 12/31/2018
Dosecann LD Inc. PE 12/21/2018
IsoCanMed Inc. QC 1/12/2018
Verdélite Sciences, Inc. QC 1/12/2018
Les Serres Vert Cannabis Inc. QC 3/25/2018
Emerald Plants Health Source (E.P.H.S) Inc. QC 10/12/2018
Royalmax Biotechnology Canada Inc. dba West Island Culture QC 10/12/2018

Black Cube - Wikipedia

I don't see any connection between Apotex or Barry Sherman and the Israeli companies noted.

At least there is consistency, and each hand knowing what the other is doing, etc. ?

Yim has been a detective for 15 years. A few days after the bodies were discovered, he was plucked from general investigative duties at a local police division and seconded to the elite homicide squad. At the time, police strongly considered it to be a double suicide or murder suicide, and it was not ruled a double murder for six weeks. In the early days, dozens of detectives worked the case. For more than two years, it has been Yim working solo under the direction of Detective Sergeant Brandon Price of the homicide squad. While Price assists him from time to time, Yim told court he is the primary investigator. He said the case is a priority for Toronto police, a force that investigates 70 to 90 murders each year.

The lone detective and the Barry and Honey Sherman murder case
Further to how many officers were involved in the beginning, I came across this, Maclean's interview of KD published October 30, 2019:

Q: We’ve been told the Sherman murder investigation has shrunk to one detective.

A:
It’s bigger now. It started with 50 detectives, then down to one who produces production orders. Now they told me the original detective, Brandon Price, and another detective are involved on a daily basis.

Who killed Barry and Honey Sherman? A new book offers fascinating insights. - Macleans.ca

Black Cube - Wikipedia

Medical cannabis has been legal in a number of countries for years, including Canada since 2001. It difficult to imagine how that could be connected to the murders.

I’ve always been surprised this person makes it seem like it was a new thing, but perhaps he was just using Barry’s name to hype Canntrust, which more recently has now become essentially bankrupt, a result of illegally growing unapproved pot.
“I think Barry decided Apotex better get in on the ground level,” said Aubrey Dan, a businessman who is involved in the project but was once a Sherman rival in the generic drug world. “Barry was a true entrepreneur. He has always been a risk taker.”

Health Canada approval is estimated to be two years away, but if it comes, the pills would be a disrupter in the Big Pharma brand-name drug world, and for Sherman’s own generic firm, providing an alternative to highly addictive opioids and other pharmaceuticals. People who worked with the late Sherman say the so-called “pot pill” will be one of his greatest legacies.
Barry Sherman was helping to develop ‘pot pill’ for medical marijuana users

I've been looking at the real estate images of the Old Colony Rd house and based on the lack of leaves, dusting of snow or frost on the roofs of neighbouring homes, it appears the Sherman's were pretty late in deciding to list their home and move into a rental while the new one was being built; that it might have been a spur of the moment thing.

All the realtors I know say that winter is the worst time to list your home. Not only is it more challenging because you've got a lower pool of clients looking for a home, it's a busy season. People are leaving for warmer climes or their schedules are too busy to be traipsing through houses. Many of the best features of your home are either buried under snow or aren't at their best. You don't just have to mow the lawn and clip the hedge you have to be scrupulous about keeping walkways free of ice and snow, etc. It's more of a burden on the realtor too, making sure your home is in tip top condition after having clients take off mucky boots or dripping water on your pristine floors.

So what would be the benefits of listing a house so late in the season? I suppose there could be monetary benefits from tax implications, etc. but what if there was something more?

According to JS, Barry was trying to dredge up cash money, wanting between 50 and 60 million bucks just weeks before the murder. Were the Sherman's trying to maximize their cash flow for some reason and scrambled to sell the house? I mean, when you read the realtor overview, the house was a modern masterpiece with innovations out the wazoo. Compare that to the accusations made in the lawsuits regarding dangerous oversights, etc. Were they trying to beat some kind of counter suit? Albeit, it would have been about 10 years after the fact.

I checked the weather for the months of November and December for Toronto and right up to the 12th it had been fairly temperate with warmer than usual temps. Temps didn't dip below zero until the 10th. On the 11th and 12th it snowed about 8cm each night and the 13th was the coldest day of the last two months, -8 C high and -14 C low so the snow that fell the previous two days wasn't going anywhere.

I'm wondering whether the window left open in the basement was left open intentionally, not to air out the paint fumes but to play havoc with rigor mortis. Perhaps more windows were left open to reduce the ambient temperature of the basement and that one basement window was left open as an oversight.

Although TPS have supposedly cleared the mystery man who entered the home several times on the 14th, it could make sense that someone went back in to ensure the job was done, do a recon to make sure there was no evidence of uninvited guests, clean up any snow, salt from the floors. No one would even notice, knowing the home had to look perfect (except for two dead bodies) for showings, etc.

Of course, my theory doesn't take into consideration that the housekeeper found Honey's phone on the floor and placed it on the bathroom vanity or that Barry's papers and gloves had also been placed neatly aside. But what was the urgency to sell the home, and in winter no less?

I've been looking at the real estate images of the Old Colony Rd house and based on the lack of leaves, dusting of snow or frost on the roofs of neighbouring homes, it appears the Sherman's were pretty late in deciding to list their home and move into a rental while the new one was being built; that it might have been a spur of the moment thing.

All the realtors I know say that winter is the worst time to list your home. Not only is it more challenging because you've got a lower pool of clients looking for a home, it's a busy season. People are leaving for warmer climes or their schedules are too busy to be traipsing through houses. Many of the best features of your home are either buried under snow or aren't at their best. You don't just have to mow the lawn and clip the hedge you have to be scrupulous about keeping walkways free of ice and snow, etc. It's more of a burden on the realtor too, making sure your home is in tip top condition after having clients take off mucky boots or dripping water on your pristine floors.

So what would be the benefits of listing a house so late in the season? I suppose there could be monetary benefits from tax implications, etc. but what if there was something more?

According to JS, Barry was trying to dredge up cash money, wanting between 50 and 60 million bucks just weeks before the murder. Were the Sherman's trying to maximize their cash flow for some reason and scrambled to sell the house? I mean, when you read the realtor overview, the house was a modern masterpiece with innovations out the wazoo. Compare that to the accusations made in the lawsuits regarding dangerous oversights, etc. Were they trying to beat some kind of counter suit? Albeit, it would have been about 10 years after the fact.

I checked the weather for the months of November and December for Toronto and right up to the 12th it had been fairly temperate with warmer than usual temps. Temps didn't dip below zero until the 10th. On the 11th and 12th it snowed about 8cm each night and the 13th was the coldest day of the last two months, -8 C high and -14 C low so the snow that fell the previous two days wasn't going anywhere.

I'm wondering whether the window left open in the basement was left open intentionally, not to air out the paint fumes but to play havoc with rigor mortis. Perhaps more windows were left open to reduce the ambient temperature of the basement and that one basement window was left open as an oversight.

Although TPS have supposedly cleared the mystery man who entered the home several times on the 14th, it could make sense that someone went back in to ensure the job was done, do a recon to make sure there was no evidence of uninvited guests, clean up any snow, salt from the floors. No one would even notice, knowing the home had to look perfect (except for two dead bodies) for showings, etc.

Of course, my theory doesn't take into consideration that the housekeeper found Honey's phone on the floor and placed it on the bathroom vanity or that Barry's papers and gloves had also been placed neatly aside. But what was the urgency to sell the home, and in winter no less?

The new home construction which was proceeding would’ve cost more than the list price of their existing home iirc. But recalling Dec/2017, it was the tail end of a brisk real estate run and so as discussed previously, some thought it was listed to catch the wave before market opportunities entirely diminished. But I think it’s probably a case of only the realtor knows for sure.

I think it’s somewhat of a fallacy winter is a poor time to buy/sell as not everyone is concerned timing over school children beginning the school year at a different school. According to a realtor I know, she says the market is just as good in winter because there’s fewer listings to compete with and more legitimate buyers as opposed to people who view houses as a hobby on a nice summer day for something to do.

ETA: From day one I’ve been curious why they’d choose to live in a house that was listed, lock box on the door and sign out front, given their wealth.

JMO

Last edited:
The new home construction which was proceeding would’ve cost more than the list price of their existing home iirc. But recalling Dec/2017, it was the tail end of a brisk real estate run and so as discussed previously, some thought it was listed to catch the wave before market opportunities entirely diminished. But I think it’s probably a case of only the realtor knows for sure.

I think it’s somewhat of a fallacy winter is a poor time to buy/sell as not everyone is concerned timing over school children beginning the school year at a different school. According to a realtor I know, she says the market is just as good in winter because there’s fewer listings to compete with and more legitimate buyers as opposed to people who view houses as a hobby on a nice summer day for something to do.

ETA: From day one I’ve been curious why they’d choose to live in a house that was listed, lock box on the door and sign out front, given their wealth.

JMO

If you need to buy or need to sell a home, any time of the year suffices, however, if it's not imperative to move, there are definitely better times to sell your home than two weeks before Christmas.

I think the fact they lived there during this period is reflective of Barry's resistance to selling the property. He was quite happy living at Old Colony Rd. And while he deferred to Honey's dream of a state of the art home closer to her grandkids I can imagine his passive-aggressive resistance to moving by slow walking the transition.

Personally, I think Honey realized that the home would be a bit of a hard sell. It was really dated. It appears from the realtor images that no attempt was made to drag it out of its 80s vibe with the glass block walls, acres of broadloom and built-ins. It could have been a knock down even with a selling price of about 6 million.

Here's a link that reviews a glimpse of the kind of luxury homes that were up for sale during 2017.

Inside Toronto's Most Expensive Homes Of 2017 - STOREYS

They do mention in the article that a new 15% tax, the Non-Resident Speculation Tax was introduced in April 2017. Reviewing the tax it was ultimately collected quarterly but in 2017 they collected the tax from April 1st to November 30 suggesting the legislation was only implemented later in the year. So foreign purchasers would be responsible for paying the surcharge. Strangely enough, the date of this article is December 12, 2017.

If you need to buy or need to sell a home, any time of the year suffices, however, if it's not imperative to move, there are definitely better times to sell your home than two weeks before Christmas.

I think the fact they lived there during this period is reflective of Barry's resistance to selling the property. He was quite happy living at Old Colony Rd. And while he deferred to Honey's dream of a state of the art home closer to her grandkids I can imagine his passive-aggressive resistance to moving by slow walking the transition.

Personally, I think Honey realized that the home would be a bit of a hard sell. It was really dated. It appears from the realtor images that no attempt was made to drag it out of its 80s vibe with the glass block walls, acres of broadloom and built-ins. It could have been a knock down even with a selling price of about 6 million.

Here's a link that reviews a glimpse of the kind of luxury homes that were up for sale during 2017.

Inside Toronto's Most Expensive Homes Of 2017 - STOREYS

They do mention in the article that a new 15% tax, the Non-Resident Speculation Tax was introduced in April 2017. Reviewing the tax it was ultimately collected quarterly but in 2017 they collected the tax from April 1st to November 30 suggesting the legislation was only implemented later in the year. So foreign purchasers would be responsible for paying the surcharge. Strangely enough, the date of this article is December 12, 2017.
Non-resident tax… As in Americans moving there in times of trouble down here? I know people that are trying to find out from Canada who they will let in. Apparently if you’re old you have to have enough money so the Canadian healthcare system isn’t strained. Or be young and have a talent.

To Barry the 6 million possible sale proceeds was less than rounding, given his total net worth. Perhaps the house was cold in the winter, and they just wanted out. IMO the timing of the sale has no significance wrt the murders

Non-resident tax… As in Americans moving there in times of trouble down here? I know people that are trying to find out from Canada who they will let in. Apparently if you’re old you have to have enough money so the Canadian healthcare system isn’t strained. Or be young and have a talent.

Basically, it is any individual, group, company that does not have roots in Canada. There has been a big uproar in BC because foreign nationals from mainland China come to Canada to buy property. I've read that there are such buyers but they represent a fairly small share of the market. We get foreign nationals here in Ontario too. They get them in Florida, too, since I own a place down there.

To Barry the 6 million possible sale proceeds was less than rounding, given his total net worth. Perhaps the house was cold in the winter, and they just wanted out. IMO the timing of the sale has no significance wrt the murders

Oh, I agree there may be no significance but when Barry lost money, it was because it was a risk he chose to take (vanity projects he entered with FDA) and not because someone else might deem his property less valuable. After four years without an arrest, I hope TPS are working any and all theories regarding the Sherman deaths.

Just for reference, in KD's article dated December 23rd, he mentions that JD was 'let go'. I know we have had various discussion over time, regarding whether JD 'left' of his own volition or was let go.

Then, at 11 a.m., Jeremy Desai, the then president and CEO of Apotex (he was let go after Barry died, telling police he had lost “Barry’s protection”) emails Barry to tell him that the British health authorities had “suspended” the Apotex health certificate for one of their drug plants in India. Desai told police he would have “expected a response” from Barry to this news.

Barry and Honey Sherman may have been under ‘surveillance’ a month before their murders, homicide detectives believe

Barry didn't like the plan to build a new home and would have stayed at the old home, if asked. As a man, who -I assume- didn't like inconvenient changes in his private life, why had it to be, that he had to move twice even: first to a condo for the purpose of transition, then to Honey's new dream home? Why did Honey negotiate with her husband, to have her own home for the last 10-20 years of life? Fear of her children being able to have some power over her after BS' death? Why did the murder of both spouses happen before it came to the dreams/expectations, they all had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3