CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this case, I'm thinking they'd have to at least double the reward offered to someone to spill the beans.. was it $10Million? So they'd need to offer $20M? jmo
Who was it who specifically announced the $10 million dollar reward? Was it any specific child of theirs?

In this case, I'm thinking they'd have to at least double the reward offered to someone to spill the beans.. was it $10Million? So they'd need to offer $20M? jmo
Unfortunately I do not think more money will aid in 'spilling the beans'. Possibly those people who know something, have more money already than they will ever need. As well the people with knowledge may be afraid of ending up like HS and BS.
Alternatively somebody may have already 'spilled the beans' to the TPS, and the TPS is now collecting collaborative evidence before laying charges.

So JS set it at $10 million and is there any significance to that exact amount as some control or ceiling?
Could be that JS was influenced by this concept, although since this case involved two lives, maybe the reward should have been double the amount ? imo, speculation. rbbm.
''AILSA CHANG, HOST:
Is it worth it to shut down the economy to save lives? Or should we let people die to serve the economy? Economists answer questions like this all the time by converting a single human life into dollars. Here's Sarah Gonzalez from our Planet Money podcast.

SARAH GONZALEZ, BYLINE: There is kind of an official price tag on human life. We can tell you what it is. One human life is worth about US$10 million.''

GONZALEZ: Kip Viscusi is an economist at Vanderbilt University, and he says valuing life and making these kinds of lives-versus-money decisions comes from the world of safety regulations. The Department of Transportation, the CDC, the EPA, they all put a price on life. And they use this value to determine which safety regulations are worth the cost.''

It's my opinion that the family should increase the reward offer to one billion dollars. The number is big enough to get a lot of attention for the case and the Sherman estate is large enough to furnish such a reward. It may not be successful directly but it could provide a lot of helpful international attention to the case.

It's my opinion that the family should increase the reward offer to one billion dollars. The number is big enough to get a lot of attention for the case and the Sherman estate is large enough to furnish such a reward. It may not be successful directly but it could provide a lot of helpful international attention to the case.
Having said nothing for 5 long years, does someone deserve to get $1 billion for finally speaking up? Honestly, I don't know.

One of the worst things to be faced with financially is for one's loans to be recalled by the bank or lender ahead of when they would be due for repayment. This is something that would be devastating to any borrower of money.
I agree for most people, but for this family, the leader who controlled all the money did not have this attitude so I am not sure that JS would think any different than his father.

If you do not have the money and your father has always bailed you out regardless of the situation, why stress it, as it appears JS ignored the request, and IMO he speaks of it as if it was part of a family disagreement or quarrel and really nothing to do with anyone needing money. He would not murder his father over his need of 50 million - I do not recall any mention of why he would not kill his mother but regardless his wording is he would not do it (makes me think of HS comment on missing a meeting, something like -dealing with a family matter)

IMO B&HS were planning out retirement and senior life in a new home, a new chapter, they were older and wiser with the wealth they had and the power it held and they were making changes to how they financially supported their children. BS was pulling in some reins and creating new rules for many of his companies/trusts.

I think this frightened or frustrated someone or a couple of people who are close to B&HS, sadly people in the close family unit. If they did it on their own or hired someone I have no idea nor formalized an opinion. To me, the nightwalker could be one of these people and not a hired hitman. But most other observations of the crime include a hitman as the culprit. If it was a hitman, I think LE would know and hope they are running a Mr. Big operation with the players that may have hired the hitman, and one day we will hear of the arrest.

I do think it was planned, Two scenarios run threw my head, HS was the initial target, she was the hindrance and influence changing BS views, and B&H were getting along better now as per the children. But BS came home earlier than expected - she asked him too, this was not his normal arrival home time - if they had been watching the home this would be unexpected and now they had to get creative in staging. OR this person was expected that evening to speak with the two of them at the home, thus why she needed him home at a specific time.

I think it had nothing to do with any business at Apotex. That is a large employer and has full management to run it after the deaths, killing BS would not kill the company, not immediately anyway. The only way I see it as part of this crime is when they sell it and add money to the trusts or Sherfam companies.

That would get many different people and businesses involved, especially those in the detective field. It would make it a type of competition involving many participants trying to get the case solved in order to win the big reward prize.

Last edited:
That would get many different people and businesses involved, especially those in the detective field. It would make it a type of competition involving many participants trying to get the case solved in order to win the big reward prize.
Yes, this is part of the rationale, as well to get the case onto the radar of more police departments, law enforcement and intelligence agencies internationally.. and perhaps garner the attention of sophisticated international criminal enterprises as well. Ten million dollars might just be too low a price for information that may have billions of dollars of implications.

It's been a while since I've commented on this case. Without any new information we rehash many ideas. Some are viable, IMO. I don't see TPS providing much more in the coming months. They are probably very aware that we are coming up to the 5th year anniversary of the Sherman murders and the general public will become aware again that two of the wealthiest people in Canada were brutally murdered. It'll be like Groundhog Day where they will have to make a statement regurgitating the same old information again and illustrate once again they got bupkis.

I know that JS and AP are business partners investing in many ventures. In the last couple of years self storage has become one of the fastest growing enterprises in NA. I was just looking at a chart that listed the worth of a company called Public Storage that started in California in 2009. By 2022 its worth $55 billion dollars with over 170 million square feet of storage in the US. If that company was the beacon for JS and AP to emulate I wonder how much their worth has grown since BS' original investment of $200 million bucks. Call me cynical but I don't believe it comes close.

I keep thinking about the $50 million that BS wanted JS to return and didn't. A tragic life event interfered with him having to pay up. He's always stated that he only used about 125 million of the 200 million BS lent him, so why wasn't he able to return the money? How much liquidity did the companies have? What did he invest in?

I know JS is interested in crypocurrency. Back in 2009 when Bitcoin was introduced by Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonym of a group, it was worth $0. Over the years it's worth has fluctuated dramatically, gaining and dropping several thousand dollars in one calendar year. By the time 2017 rolled around, it had risen from$1100 in January to $20,000 in December. If you have a lot of cash hanging around and know how to mine Bitcoin what better way to make a killing? It's fluctuated madly in the last couple of years going from a high of $60,000 to settling around $46,000 now. That's US funds. Here's a link:

There's only a finite number of Bitcoin in the world, around 19 million units. Having to unload Bitcoin to create fiat cash probably means they'd get scooped up immediately so you'd be kind of reluctant to give them up.

Also, I was reading about how cryptocurrency has increased obstacles for cannabis companies going public in reverse takeovers. Wouldn't it be ironic if JS and his cryptocurrency ended up competing with Apotex for a share of the cannabis business in the US in anticipation of legalization? BTW, this Jonathon Sherman is not our JS.

I'm sure BS was all in in providing the seed capital to invest in JS's numerous business ventures. Whether he'd approve of being in competition with his son regarding the lucrative aspects of commercially produced cannibis in the US will forever be a mystery.

Is the
Would the 10 million be tax-free or not since this would make a difference as to the exact total reward?

Is the

Would the 10 million be tax-free or not since this would make a difference as to the exact total reward?
Q A reward is being offered to help capture a hit-and-run driver. If I provide the information that leads to the suspect’s arrest and ultimately get the reward, is it taxable?

— D.O., Torrance

A
Generally, unless excepted by law, all income is taxable. The exceptions are limited, such as a qualified scholarship or money you received that is then transferred to a charity (which comes with additional requirements). Services or property you receive also is considered income, in which case a fair market value must be established for it.

The kind of reward you mention is income since it is money paid to you; however, if you had certain expenses associated with providing the information that led to the arrest, you may be able to deduct them. Bottom line: IRS Section 61 defines gross income as income from whatever source derived.

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member