Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the killers were probably in the house when the Shermans came home. Given the neighborhood, the perps probably believed there was one or more safes in the house. So they may have hurt the Shermans to find the locations of any safes.

Burglary is a very serious crime, and interrupted burglaries can turn into horrific crime scenes. Adrenaline, and poor/no impulse control jmo.

I had read early on here that there had been several burglaries in that area , in the time before the Shermans' murder.

The burglaries you refer to were in a different neighbourhood, the Bridlle Path.

The Shermans did NOT live in the Bridle Path area.

I don't think this was a bungled burglary. It was a targeted double murder. Nothing else.

I think the killers were probably in the house when the Shermans came home. Given the neighborhood, the perps probably believed there was one or more safes in the house. So they may have hurt the Shermans to find the locations of any safes.

Burglary is a very serious crime, and interrupted burglaries can turn into horrific crime scenes. Adrenaline, and poor/no impulse control jmo.

I had read early on here that there had been several burglaries in that area , in the time before the Shermans' murder.

I noticed that Lead Detective Gomes refused to say whether anything had been taken from the Sherman residence. Prior to that, 'police sources' had merely said there was no obvious sign of anything stolen or damaged. Perhaps jewelry or some other unobvious item(s) were taken, either as a burglary or in an attempt to mislead LE from the true motive. JMO

I find it critical that LE stated BOTH Barry and Honey were targeted.

However, someone who wanted to cause Barry the utmost pain, would be sure to harm his beloved wife - without actually having Honey as a target based on something she did.

In the end, I guess I end up with this crime being very personal.

Which goes against my intuitive theory that their murders were a direct result of a sour business deal.

*sigh*

The problem with it being "personal" is that from all accounts BS didn't have a "personal" life. He was all business, all day, everyday.

It may well have been handled by insurance. Most contractors carry CGL policies.

You'd be surprised at the number of 'contractors' who do not have insurance though. Of course, many are working under the table or just don't carry it. We only hire companies who DO carry CGL policies and are licensed.

I noticed that Lead Detective Gomes refused to say whether anything had been taken from the Sherman residence. Prior to that, 'police sources' had merely said there was no obvious sign of anything stolen or damaged. Perhaps jewelry or some other unobvious item(s) were taken, either as a burglary or in an attempt to mislead LE from the true motive. JMO

I think it's highly likely things were taken. I also subscribe to the concept that when one hears hoofbeats, chances are excellent that it isn't a zebra. It's a horse...but, jmo

Wish we knew who he sent that 8 30 pm email to.
All I can think of “live by the sword, die by the sword”
He sure had a lot of enemies.
I assume Barry was the only person who could sack Desai, who would have had the power to get rid him after Barry’s death?

You'd be surprised at the number of 'contractors' who do not have insurance though. Of course, many are working under the table or just don't carry it. We only hire companies who DO carry CGL policies and are licensed.

For a home of this standard, I would expect the GC to have insurance, and likely require it of all subs. Most of the high end GCs work with the same subs all the time.

There are many fly by nighters, especially in the subs.

I assume Barry was the only person who could sack Desai, who would have had the power to get rid him after Barry’s death?

The Board. Which is likely guided by Keay.

what sort of things do you think were taken?
paperwork? computer/phone/tablet?

I think it's highly likely things were taken. I also subscribe to the concept that when one hears hoofbeats, chances are excellent that it isn't a zebra. It's a horse...but, jmo

'personal' in another context means someone with a vengeance IMO which does not have to be someone he is on 'personal' terms with

eg. some people make things personal when they weren't meant to be or really have nothing to do with them

The problem with it being "personal" is that from all accounts BS didn't have a "personal" life. He was all business, all day, everyday.

Just because Barry didn't have a "personal" life doesn't mean that he didn't affect someone who did. It really matters how others felt....not BS.

I recall reading the news citing an email sent by BS at 8:30 pm came from “a source” hence this has not been substantiated by LE. All LE said today was that their last communication was Weds. evening. I understand 8:00 pm to be night time rather than evening.

The Vice Chairman and co founder Jack Kay had that power.

I thought I read somewhere there were difficulties in obtaining a search warrant for BS computers at Apotex? Or someone objected to the search warrant in court?
Desai' departure from the company at this time could be a coincidence, bit does seem odd. I wonder if

1.) he was causing problems or holding up the warrant,
2.) he had something to hide (maybe unknowingly aided someone/a group targeting BS)
3.) He's worried he's next
4.) Just an ill-timed, routine company overhaul

CBC - just announced the piece they are doing on the Sherman murders will be aired next Friday, Feb. 2nd on the Fifth Estate @ 9:00 p.m.

do you have details? or a link? I know he used her to gain information but I haven't seen specific details yet

I might have missed it, but was he found guilty of this charge? I believe at this point he is just "accused" and alleged to have done these deeds.

I truly may have missed this, but otherwise we are treading a fine line here.

I don't believe this for a second (not that I can't be wrong on this!). What burglars would go to such lengths to kill their victims?

I agree that the timing of Desai’s resignation is very a strange. Some theories to consider are that either he was not cooperating with LE or he knew something. Just speculation of course.

Sorry if I'm behind... if this thought may have already been expressed by someone else.. but if BS wrote an email at around 8:30pm on the Wed evening, and LE have now stated that neither of the couple were heard from after the Wed evening.. I'm thinking, if that email had been sent by BS to Desai... and then the couple were murdered shortly thereafter.. whomever *was* the recipient of that email, may have been the one to alert certain people that the couple were now at their home. jmo

Just because Barry didn't have a "personal" life doesn't mean that he didn't affect someone who did. It really matters how others felt....not BS.

But the point is... If he affected someone he likely did it through his business dealings. I dont think he interacted with people much for anything other than business.

What kind of motive can you imagine that does not have to do with his business affairs?

But the point is... If he affected someone he likely did it through his business dealings. I dont think he interacted with people much for anything other than business.

What kind of motive can you imagine that does not have to do with his business affairs?

Anyone who feels slighted emotionally or anyone who is desperate for money/wealth and who is in his family sphere.
Don't family members or friends feel "affected"? Children have killed parents. Siblings have killed siblings. Domestic violence is common. All of these don't require the "victim" to be a personable person. It's everyday life.

What happened to the companies he sued re the construction work on the house. Are they still in business? Did they suffer terribly?

Contractors sued by the Shermans are llisted in this news article

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...sherman-sued-builders-of-north-york-home.html

21 degrees heating is still in Business
https://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/mississauga/21-degrees-heating-air-conditioning/7746788

Jack Winston died in 2012 http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/thestar/obituary.aspx?pid=158268843
His business is still listed on 411 https://411.ca/business/profile/2765504

Thomas Marzotto Architect Still in Business http://marzottoarchitect.com/

Can not find Ewing Construction in Ontario Canada. Mabey someone else can ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva