Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't there a lot of court proceedings against architects and construction companies still in progress? Would be demolition allowed despite that?

I believe the construction lawsuits on their current house were dealt with and concluded a number of years ago.

Rbsbm.
Thinking that maybe people might hesitate to purchase a home where murders have been committed and the perp/s have not been identified and arrested.
Understandably, in the back of a buyer's mind, they might worry that the killer may live in the neighbourhood, or might even return to the house.
imo, speculation.

Totally agree. Until there is a resolution of the case, it would be the only thing that would make me hesitate to live there. For the right price, not a fire sale price, I would buy it anyway. Its a beautiful home in a normally safe area and very conveniently located.

Having said that, I would have some security in use.

I drive by fairly often, will be interested to see what they do in the final analysis. IMO

just for clarification, I have not driven down Old Colony Road but am often on the arterial road nearby with millions of others. There is a highway not far up the road.

I wouldn't be afraid of the dead, it's the living I'm afraid of :(. Sure are some loonies out there.... JMO

Very, very true. Too many of them for my liking. ;)

Given the high profile of the case, I think any prospective buyer would also be wary of endless waves of curious (morbid, IMO) passers-by, photographers and "murder house" tours. Plus, any buyer would undoubtedly be identified and profiled by the media. (The family could be having it cleaned pre-demolition to deter possible souvenir hunters, although they probably can't be totally avoided.)

As a buyer, you are going to be living IN the house and backyard area. Its not a wide street and between the neighbours (all very wealthy) complaining and the TPS moving people along, I doubt it would be a problem for long. If necessary, traffic calming measures would be instilled to prevent too much nuisance traffic.

If I bought it and the media published anything about me or tried to 'invade', I would hire the best lawyer to beat them at their own game. I would also take steps to prevent any release of information on the sale/deeding etc. It can be done.

I wonder if there will be an auction at the house and that is why it is getting cleaned up

I wonder if there will be an auction at the house and that is why it is getting cleaned up
Maybe an auction will be held elsewhere?
http://nationalpost.com/news/toronto/amid-quiet-from-high-profile-murder-probes-family-takes-back-house-where-shermans-died
[h=2]The original sting of the news, the adrenaline and public glare is replaced by probating wills, assessing assets, liquidating estates and cleaning a family home[/h]
Around 10 a.m., a van arrived with four people from Waddington’s, an auction house that specializes in fine arts, wine and spirits, unique collections and confidential sales involving “timing and privacy,” according to its website. The group was presumably at the house to assess the Shermans’ art and other valuables, though none of them would answer questions as they stood outside the caution tape surrounding the estate.

One of the group politely introduced herself to a reporter before her colleagues called her away. A security guard, one of two assigned to watch the house, came to lead them inside.

Waddingtons has an auction house in downtown Toronto where they hold auctions.

One usually registers in advance to bid and people bid from around the world.

Just glanced at the upcoming auctions and there is a lot of artwork and fine wines/fine liquors coming up for auction.

Bet some of the stuff is from Old Colony Road, esp some of the wonderful wines.

Just glanced at the upcoming auctions and there is a lot of artwork and fine wines/fine liquors coming up for auction.

Not to mention the Frida Kahlo, imo, speculation.
https://www.elledecor.com/life-culture/news/a8687/frida-kahlo-painting/
The work of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, with its vibrant colors and emotional pulses, rarely fails to awe art lovers. Now, at a Christie's auction, one of her paintings has been sold for a truly awe-worthy price to match: $8 million.
http://artmatters.ca/wp/2012/11/honouring-frida-diego/
We invited Mexican artist Carlomagno Pedro Martínez to construct this ofrenda in the Honey & Barry Sherman Gallery (Gallery 246, on the second level) to honour Frida and Diego, and for you to make your own offerings to honour the memories of these two great artists.
rbbm.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...apotex-founder-barry-sherman/article37348222/
Lights were on inside the home last night, as police officers worked inside, illuminating what appeared to be a Frida Kahlo canvas.

You can check it out online. I wasn't watching for any particular artwork, not sure which one (?) they had.....but there are some great pieces coming up.

If you see it in their online catalogue, please post with thumbnail. if thats not against any rules.

Now that its in the public domain, its should be okay. Wish I had kept the pictures from the TL article that was only up the one day.

You can check it out online. I wasn't watching for any particular artwork, not sure which one (?) they had.....but there are some great pieces coming up.

If you see it in their online catalogue, please post with thumbnail. if thats not against any rules.

Now that its in the public domain, its should be okay. Wish I had kept the pictures from the TL article that was only up the one day.

The FK that appears to be seen at the Sherman home @ 1:49 of video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-WYZ6WOhBA
looks like this painting, ( in retrospect a bit creepy given the thick necklace and monkey " leash ") which apparently is housed in NY, so maybe not an original, or i found the wrong painting.
imo, speculation, fwiw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Portrait_with_Monkey
Self-Portrait with Monkey
attachment.php

Attachments

• Frida_Kahlo_Self-portrait_with_monkey_1938.jpg
    Frida_Kahlo_Self-portrait_with_monkey_1938.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 235
This case seems to have gone awfully quiet, Nothing from TPS, Sherman family's detectives, or investigative journalists.

Local Media still seems more preoccupied with serial killer Bruce MacArthur who is in custody, than the people responsible for Shermans' deaths and are at large.

Kinda surprised no big reward has been posted by the family though. A big reward offering would certainly bring public interest back onto this case. On the other hand, maybe the family has a good indication who the perpetrators are and see no need to post a reward.

Knowing who did it is one thing; laying charges and getting a conviction is a much more challenging task. The complexity goes up even higher if foreign nationals involved.

Rbsbm.
Thinking that maybe people might hesitate to purchase a home where murders have been committed and the perp/s have not been identified and arrested.
Understandably, in the back of a buyer's mind, they might worry that the killer may live in the neighbourhood, or might even return to the house.
imo, speculation.

Sorry to quote my own post, but this new link supports the comment.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ansion-s-bloody-history-judge-rules-1.4573250
[h=1]Buyer misled about mansion's bloody history, judge rules[/h]
[h=2]Apparent mob hit soured $6.1M deal for sprawling Vancouver home[/h]Bethany Lindsay · CBC News · Posted: Mar 13, 2018
When Feng Yun Shao agreed to pay $6.1 million for a sprawling mansion, in Vancouver's upscale Shaughnessy neighbourhood, she had no idea an alleged Chinese triad leader had lived there before he was gunned down at the front gate.

Shao backed out of the 2009 deal when she learned the house's history, and last week, a B.C. Supreme Court judge agreed Shao had been misled and was not in breach of her contract when she reneged.
"The fact that the deceased was allegedly a leader of one of Vancouver's notorious gangs and the murderer had not been apprehended clearly puts any occupant of the Property at risk," the letter read.

The six-bedroom, 10-bathroom home sold in late 2009 to a buyer who was fully informed about the killing. The purchase price was $5.5 million — about 10 per cent less than what Shao would have paid.
In his decision, Pearlman wrote that Wang was not legally obliged to include the killing in the property disclosure statement, since the history could have been discovered by anyone asking reasonable questions about the property.
rbbm.

^^^ but, even with full disclosure it sold at a good price and someone was willing to live there history notwithstanding.

As I said, for a decent price (not fire sale prices), I would have no qualms about living in the Sherman home.

IMO, speculating.....I believe the perps knew who they were after, did the job and have moved on.

I wouldn't be afraid of them returning or further problems. I would simply have security systems turned on.

O/T somewhat but relevant.

Some cultures are very sensitive to numbers or deaths in homes, moreso than others.

One of my neighbours is from China and was horrified last year when a passerby died on her driveway.

Her distress was not so much for the poor soul who had passed but that she had died on her property.

She considered it as very bad luck and possibly an omen for her family. She actually stated, 'why couldn't she have died before or after passing our house'. One persons perspective.

I looked at Waddington’s and no Kahlo. Do you think someone else would have the auction?

If it is online, I imagine the things can stay in the house. Why haul them around.

I doubt if the kids need the few million the house would cost. I can see they want any memory of it gone.

The FK that appears to be seen at the Sherman home @ 1:49 of video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-WYZ6WOhBA
looks like this painting, ( in retrospect a bit creepy given the thick necklace and monkey " leash ") which apparently is housed in NY, so maybe not an original, or i found the wrong painting.
imo, speculation, fwiw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Portrait_with_Monkey

attachment.php

That's the image, I agree, but it's in a larger frame with an equal size mat beside it, highlighting something smaller. You would never do that with a real artwork. My guess would be it's some sort of presentation, recognition of gift or patronage, from the Art Gallery of Ontario.

I looked at Waddington’s and no Kahlo. Do you think someone else would have the auction?

If it is online, I imagine the things can stay in the house. Why haul them around.

I doubt if the kids need the few million the house would cost. I can see they want any memory of it gone.

whom ever is handling the estates has contracted Waddingtons for appraisal and probable sale of art work and valuable spirits/wines.

things would have to be removed from the home for insurance reasons, to prep them for sale etc.

Insurance companies do not like empty houses, certainly not full of valuables!

It won't come down to what the kids want/need, it will be about probating these estates and all that this entails.

Last I heard, the police were still trying to get BSs computer data etc from Apotex.

This too, will probably take a few years just to sort out.

As for a prosecution of any perp, it may never happen.

whom ever is handling the estates has contracted Waddingtons for appraisal and probable sale of art work and valuable spirits/wines.

things would have to be removed from the home for insurance reasons, to prep them for sale etc.

Insurance companies do not like empty houses, certainly not full of valuables!

It won't come down to what the kids want/need, it will be about probating these estates and all that this entails.

Last I heard, the police were still trying to get BSs computer data etc from Apotex.

This too, will probably take a few years just to sort out.

As for a prosecution of any perp, it may never happen.

Are the people who do the appraisals allowed to do the sale?

I used to do sales with my neighbor. Someone else would do the appraisal and she would do the sale so that there would be no monkey business. Low appraisal. A buddy buys it.

Or money does not match the sale proceeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne