CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think general knowledge is you don’t tie a horse by its rein with a bit in its mouth. Maybe still done by old school cowboys but I cringe when I see it in movies. I’ll see if I can find the picture and how he had it tied.

ETA: found it. Even a loose wrap like that makes me cringe. I would never do it personally and I wouldn’t let anyone tie my horses that way. May be a personal preference and me being overly cautious. I see one tied to fence that way too. Also see a picture of him riding with a hackamore.

I think he knew his horse well & would tie depending on how his horse tied. I have one I could tie with a shoe string & he’d never move. Cowboys are tough training their mounts. They generally don’t put up with much bad behavior. IMO, a cowboy looks at his horse as his biz partner!

some of the thick woods searchers are looking through for him-
there are 3 searchers in photo so you can see what a hard job this is.
DyRosTDVsAAdEBj.jpg

Tysm. Enjoyed your posts. Just catching up,after a weekend away. Are you local?

Hmmm.... food for thought for considering foul play. Good find.

This scares me because no one would know the lay of the land like a former employee.
However, as with Ben, there’s no shortage of work for a good cowboy. Most are fairly transient, so they move on.
Big dif working hay fields & being a working cowboy/manager, managing a ranch is a huge responsibility. I can’t find info on Ben’s specific area of management.

This article looks like it was from April 5, 2017. I think Ben started working there around October or November 2018, right?

Actually, you are right from the looks of it. However, it would have been about 18 months later that Ben was hired and moved there and realistically 18 months later there could possibly still be some deep seated animosity for the company/ranch by ex employees that are now in the throes of their "loss". There may be some very angry ex employees that resent that this Canadian ranch, that had a major recent layoff, hired an American cowboy to come in and make changes

True. I guess he needed the horse to get away and maybe instead of having both loved animals potentially not make it back he left the dog behind. IDK its just so sad all a round. IMO
Wondering where Ben left his dog before he headed off. It must have been where she would not be able to follow him, no matter by what manner he left the ranch buildings, yet have food and water. Maybe Ben left his dog in his house on the ranch? If so, he must have planned to be back in time to let his dog out to do her 'business'? And when he didn't, wouldn't his dog have barked and barked and whined and made a big ruckus to get outside to relieve herself? And wouldn't somebody on the ranch hear, in the cold winter air that carries sounds very well, Ben's dog barking and barking in distress? And investigate?

Tysm. Enjoyed your posts. Just catching up,after a weekend away. Are you local?
No, not local, just a fellow horseperson and close to where he was
born and has lots of family still in the cattle business.
This case has me scratching my head.
Horse accidents/injuries can happen to anyone but IME, when
you're young, super strong and fit, and used to spending so much time in the saddle, the injuries typically are relatively minor
rather than life threatening. Stomped foot, twisted leg, sprained
ankle , bruised tailbone, are typical injuries I'd guess he would have had.
his brother said his horse is 'gentle' which tells me it was probably
not known to over-react in perilous situations. Typically working
ranch horses are like machines- they know their job and are
reliably trustworthy. So in my mind I'm ruling out a horse
related accident.
If horse just took off and left him behind which isn't likely, IMO,
BT would be mobile and would have been seen by now, if they're
in the right area.
I'm still thinking some local nut with a gun might have picked
him off in the woods. I haven't seen anything where they
checked his saddle/tack or horse for blood traces.
And I still wonder about a disgruntled employee.
IMO, the only explanation leads to foul play by another that
injured him seriously enough to immobilize him.

So along with the laid off hay workers, the Gen. Mgr. for Ranch
was also losing his job last year (2017) due to cash flow problems
at the ranch.
So then BT is hired early fall 2018. I see his job called "Cattle Mgr", don't know if there is a ranch general mgr. now.
Wondering now about BT being hired into the middle of a bee's
nest of problems at the ranch. What happened to the last
"cattle manager" ? did he quit, fired, laid off?

Bradner R Farms assumes haying operation at Nicola Ranch - Merritt Herald

Wondering where Ben left his dog before he headed off. It must have been where she would not be able to follow him, no matter by what manner he left the ranch buildings, yet have food and water. Maybe Ben left his dog in his house on the ranch? If so, he must have planned to be back in time to let his dog out to do her 'business'? And when he didn't, wouldn't his dog have barked and barked and whined and made a big ruckus to get outside to relieve herself? And wouldn't somebody on the ranch hear, in the cold winter air that carries sounds very well, Ben's dog barking and barking in distress? And investigate?
Ranches typically provide housing for employees. "Managers"
are usually provided individual homes on ranch (often mobile
homes). Cowboys typically live in group bunkhouses.
IME, dogs are not kept in homes like we do. Again, dogs are
working dogs who help manage cows. Working dogs typically
are housed in kennels on the ranch.
Haven't seen this confirmed but IME working dogs are treated
differently than our pets are.

Yes agree, and I wouldn't be surprised if the family of BT doesn't
hire him to help continue searching. I know I would.

From comments on Ben's FB missing group, Kim was originally not allowed to search but that changed after a few days and he's been out there looking, along with many other locals who would be familiar with the area.

I don't know much about drones. Do they have tracking devices on them so that if they are downed you could find them? If he did have a drone and this is a possibility, it might give a better idea of location to search. MOO
I took the training to be a commercial drone operator for grins when I retired (fairly easy since I was already a licensed airline pilot). Drones don't normally come with a tracking device. GPS trackers are available as an add on and run from less than $50 to a couple hundred bucks. They can locate the drone to within inches, but even the expensive ones like the Marco Polo Drone Tracking UAVfind Field System, only work from less than 2 miles out and some are only 100 yards. Great if you are doing line of sight drone operations and the drone just goes over that next house, not so great in the open wilderness.

Just to provide you with some information about the reins and a few other things...

Most western horseman, especially those who ride “working” horses, ride with “split” reins that are not one continous loop and the reins are NOT tied together in a knot. The reins are connected to the bit via a water loop, which is a separate piece of leather. A leather “fuse”, similar to a shoe lace, is used to connect the water loop to the rein.

Heavy Oiled 3/4" X 8' Water Loop Reins

The reins are used this way for a reason. If something goes wrong, like a horse getting tangled in a rein or pulling back, the fuse will break instead of the expensive leather rein. Most sets of reins I own cost over $100 per pair, yet a fuse is less than $1. I carry spare fuses in my saddle bag and trailer.

It may have been thought that someone else had dropped Ben and his horse off elsewhere because it was initially reported that his truck and trailer were in his driveway at home. Depending on the size of the ranch, terrain, weather, etc. it is sometimes easy to haul into more remote locations, and then ride out from where you leave your rig. It sounds like Ben rode out from home, as no one has stepped up to say they dropped he and the horse elsewhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that horses are prey animals, which means they have two options for survival, either fight or flight. Most horses would rather flee than fight. I am sure Ben’s horse is a typical ranch horse- well broke, steady, fit and strong. Think of the horse as the cowboy’s means to do his job, like an IT person relies on a computer monitor and keyboard. Ranch horses spend uncountable hours under saddle- hours of daily riding, standing around waiting for things to happen, standing tied to a fence, trailer, etc. BUT, horses are living, breathing animals with minds of their own. They can become spooked or frightened, slip and fall, or experience behavior issues caused by things like pain. And all of these things can cause them to unseat a rider without much effort.

I own some REALLY good horses. Well behaved, broke horses that have been hauled all over creation. BUT, they are still horses that can react given the situation they are in. Depending on what spooked them, I would never count on a horse to stay with it’s rider if they became separated. Horses and dogs are not similar in that aspect.

It is easier to come off a horse than most people think. One the best upper level riders in our country, Olympic level rider, came off a horse at a walk in an arena a few years ago, and suffered a devastating brain injury. I know people who have been killed riding because of how they came off the horse, or because of what happened immediately after they fell.

The fact that Ben left his dog home could say a couple things. 1) The weather was not great for the dog to be out. 2) Ben did not plan on being gone long, so he just decided to leave the dog home. 3) There was some physical reason the dog did not go along- dog was hurting, not feeling well, tired, etc.

I personally carry my cell phone with an app running that will tell my husband exactly where I am, and will send an emergency message if I stop moving and stay stationary for a set amount of time. BUT, that is when I am in an area with cell service. I carry a GPS SPOT transmitter for use in areas without cell service. It will pin point my location and allow me to send out an emergency text message IF I have satellite service and am able to physically send the message. Satellite service can be compromised if there is heavy leaf cover from trees.

I also carry a saddle bag with basic first aid gear for both me and the horse, a solar blanket, a headlamp and flashlight, a snack, etc., as well as water. It would be an issue though if separated from the horse because the saddlebag is tied to the saddle. My phone and SPOT transmitter are kept on my person.

While I am not personally familiar with the area Ben is in, I assume it is very rural and rugged, without cell service. If he was only planning on a short ride, he might not have used a saddle bag or even a SPOT transmitter, thinking he wouldn’t be gone long.

My fear is that the horse spooked, Ben came off and was injured or left unconscious. Concussions are extremely common in falls from horses and can lead to confusion. The results of this happening in an area like this ranch could be absolutely devastating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members