CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horses have a phenomal sense of way back home. And, they seem to make it twice as fast, lol. Once you turn around & head home, they pick up energy.
Oh boy this is for sure. Especially a hacker horse. Been there done that. My own horse even but not quite as much.

His horse seemed like it was lost. Who knows whether it would have found its way back eventually. I’m glad it was found.

Just to provide you with some information about the reins and a few other things...

Most western horseman, especially those who ride “working” horses, ride with “split” reins that are not one continous loop and the reins are NOT tied together in a knot. The reins are connected to the bit via a water loop, which is a separate piece of leather. A leather “fuse”, similar to a shoe lace, is used to connect the water loop to the rein.

Heavy Oiled 3/4" X 8' Water Loop Reins

The reins are used this way for a reason. If something goes wrong, like a horse getting tangled in a rein or pulling back, the fuse will break instead of the expensive leather rein. Most sets of reins I own cost over $100 per pair, yet a fuse is less than $1. I carry spare fuses in my saddle bag and trailer.

It may have been thought that someone else had dropped Ben and his horse off elsewhere because it was initially reported that his truck and trailer were in his driveway at home. Depending on the size of the ranch, terrain, weather, etc. it is sometimes easy to haul into more remote locations, and then ride out from where you leave your rig. It sounds like Ben rode out from home, as no one has stepped up to say they dropped he and the horse elsewhere.

Another thing to keep in mind is that horses are prey animals, which means they have two options for survival, either fight or flight. Most horses would rather flee than fight. I am sure Ben’s horse is a typical ranch horse- well broke, steady, fit and strong. Think of the horse as the cowboy’s means to do his job, like an IT person relies on a computer monitor and keyboard. Ranch horses spend uncountable hours under saddle- hours of daily riding, standing around waiting for things to happen, standing tied to a fence, trailer, etc. BUT, horses are living, breathing animals with minds of their own. They can become spooked or frightened, slip and fall, or experience behavior issues caused by things like pain. And all of these things can cause them to unseat a rider without much effort.

I own some REALLY good horses. Well behaved, broke horses that have been hauled all over creation. BUT, they are still horses that can react given the situation they are in. Depending on what spooked them, I would never count on a horse to stay with it’s rider if they became separated. Horses and dogs are not similar in that aspect.

It is easier to come off a horse than most people think. One the best upper level riders in our country, Olympic level rider, came off a horse at a walk in an arena a few years ago, and suffered a devastating brain injury. I know people who have been killed riding because of how they came off the horse, or because of what happened immediately after they fell.

The fact that Ben left his dog home could say a couple things. 1) The weather was not great for the dog to be out. 2) Ben did not plan on being gone long, so he just decided to leave the dog home. 3) There was some physical reason the dog did not go along- dog was hurting, not feeling well, tired, etc.

I personally carry my cell phone with an app running that will tell my husband exactly where I am, and will send an emergency message if I stop moving and stay stationary for a set amount of time. BUT, that is when I am in an area with cell service. I carry a GPS SPOT transmitter for use in areas without cell service. It will pin point my location and allow me to send out an emergency text message IF I have satellite service and am able to physically send the message. Satellite service can be compromised if there is heavy leaf cover from trees.

I also carry a saddle bag with basic first aid gear for both me and the horse, a solar blanket, a headlamp and flashlight, a snack, etc., as well as water. It would be an issue though if separated from the horse because the saddlebag is tied to the saddle. My phone and SPOT transmitter are kept on my person.

While I am not personally familiar with the area Ben is in, I assume it is very rural and rugged, without cell service. If he was only planning on a short ride, he might not have used a saddle bag or even a SPOT transmitter, thinking he wouldn’t be gone long.

My fear is that the horse spooked, Ben came off and was injured or left unconscious. Concussions are extremely common in falls from horses and can lead to confusion. The results of this happening in an area like this ranch could be absolutely devastating.
Very well written. You make a gazilllion good points. Thanks for sharing it all.

Interesting comment by the old ranch manager stating that he didn't think that his position would be filled, yet Ben was hired just months later.

I think it's two separate positions. The ranch manager that was canned was involved in the farming/hay business, so when the new company took over, their company's manager would take over that aspect of the job. Ben was the cattle manager, so he wouldn't be involved in the hay operation.

Wondering where Ben left his dog before he headed off. It must have been where she would not be able to follow him, no matter by what manner he left the ranch buildings, yet have food and water. Maybe Ben left his dog in his house on the ranch? If so, he must have planned to be back in time to let his dog out to do her 'business'? And when he didn't, wouldn't his dog have barked and barked and whined and made a big ruckus to get outside to relieve herself? And wouldn't somebody on the ranch hear, in the cold winter air that carries sounds very well, Ben's dog barking and barking in distress? And investigate?
Exactly!!
I wondered this as well. How to not know he’s missing if his dog is there and barking. Even if he left her with someone they would realize he didn’t come back. I forgot how long before he was reported missing.

Are there any caves in the area, with fire you would not see the smoke so readily if in a cave. Also, how deep is the snow, he may well have dug himself in. Maybe its false hope, but I think he had an accident on the ride and is still alive out there. I wish they did not call off the search, now its up to him to survive this. So many factors keep swimming around in my brain. I am just hoping for this horseman that he survives this. IMHO

I just cannot get over how little personal info is out there about him. Usually friends & co-workers chime in and are encouraging people to look for him. We know he was a son, brother, and a cattle ranch manager who has traveled world wide.

Is that all there is to him? Did he have any habits (smoking, drinking, drugs)? What was his relationship like with his co-workers?

I just cannot get over how little personal info is out there about him. Usually friends & co-workers chime in and are encouraging people to look for him. We know he was a son, brother, and a cattle ranch manager who has traveled world wide.

Is that all there is to him? Did he have any habits (smoking, drinking, drugs)? What was his relationship like with his co-workers?
Actually there has been quite a lot personal info online through articles
and FB. He did not smoke, so they don't know if he would carry
a lighter. Nothing said about him drinking, although I've seen
a pic of him in Australia holding a Coors can. No idea about
drugs.
Lots of past friends and co-workers have come forward to say
he's a very responsible, trustworthy, hard worker.
Don't know much from his current co-workers.

This article looks like it was from April 5, 2017. I think Ben started working there around October or November 2018, right?

Lol, I was tired when I posted the article, I screwed the date up. Those terminated were allowed to remain for six months, if I understood correctly. That’s never a good thing, imo. It’s the right thing but imo, not beneficial to the boss.

The comments below the article are interesting.......

No, not local, just a fellow horseperson and close to where he was
born and has lots of family still in the cattle business.
This case has me scratching my head.
Horse accidents/injuries can happen to anyone but IME, when
you're young, super strong and fit, and used to spending so much time in the saddle, the injuries typically are relatively minor
rather than life threatening. Stomped foot, twisted leg, sprained
ankle , bruised tailbone, are typical injuries I'd guess he would have had.
his brother said his horse is 'gentle' which tells me it was probably
not known to over-react in perilous situations. Typically working
ranch horses are like machines- they know their job and are
reliably trustworthy. So in my mind I'm ruling out a horse
related accident.
If horse just took off and left him behind which isn't likely, IMO,
BT would be mobile and would have been seen by now, if they're
in the right area.
I'm still thinking some local nut with a gun might have picked
him off in the woods. I haven't seen anything where they
checked his saddle/tack or horse for blood traces.
And I still wonder about a disgruntled employee.
IMO, the only explanation leads to foul play by another that
injured him seriously enough to immobilize him.
Tysm. It takes a lot to throw a good rider off. But, a bullet would do the job. I’m thinking tho, he had a lot of clothes on. We’ve all heard of someone being shot & the ammo not penetrating the clothing. (Hopeful thinking, I know).
I am not familiar with where he was or had the chance to see pics.
Idk what to think. Perhaps a medical episode?
Something, obviously brought him off his horse.
Hopefully there’s many looking for him. The cowboys in the area can get a posse together with pack animals & conduct a wide search. They are not wi ps, they’re used to the elements, as are the horses. Moo

Would he have a gun on him or was it still attached to the saddle? I was thinking that maybe some searchers could fire off some shots and then listen for him to answer back. Or, even loud noises so he would know someone was out there and try to answer back someway. He may be hoarse from yelling out for help.

Lol, I was tired when I posted the article, I screwed the date up. Those terminated were allowed to remain for six months, if I understood correctly. That’s never a good thing, imo. It’s the right thing but imo, not beneficial to the boss.

The comments below the article are interesting.......
Definitely agree that the situation prior to him arriving seemed tense and I would assume him arriving would not ease any of that tension. I do hope that if this was the case, he talked to someone about it so that LE can be advised. MOO

Tysm. It takes a lot to throw a good rider off. But, a bullet would do the job. I’m thinking tho, he had a lot of clothes on. We’ve all heard of someone being shot & the ammo not penetrating the clothing. (Hopeful thinking, I know).
I am not familiar with where he was or had the chance to see pics.
Idk what to think. Perhaps a medical episode?
Something, obviously brought him off his horse.
Hopefully there’s many looking for him. The cowboys in the area can get a posse together with pack animals & conduct a wide search. They are not wi ps, they’re used to the elements, as are the horses. Moo

No, it DOES NOT take a lot to for a horse to throw a good rider or even an exceptional rider who rides daily for a living. I speak from almost 50 year of riding experience. A horse slipping on ice or snow can easily unseat a rider.

Things can fall to pieces pretty damn quick when you are riding 1,000 lbs. of muscle and adrenaline with a mind of it’s own.

Interesting comment by the old ranch manager stating that he didn't think that his position would be filled, yet Ben was hired just months later.

It sounds like BT was hired specifically to oversee the cattle aspect & a small group of wranglers report to him.
In the past each manager must’ve worked under the direction of the GM. After leasing out the hay op’, is it possible the board of directors eliminated the GM position?
What caused this ranch financial duress?
I’m unable to find much info about this operation.

If we go with the theory that he was thrown from the horse and is injured, how difficult would it be for a search and rescue to find him incapacitated? The area that he’s in, are we thinking needle in a haystack? Or perhaps is it that he found some shelter that is making it so difficult to locate him?

Would he have a gun on him or was it still attached to the saddle? I was thinking that maybe some searchers could fire off some shots and then listen for him to answer back. Or, even loud noises so he would know someone was out there and try to answer back someway. He may be hoarse from yelling out for help.

If he was carrying a long gun, it would most likely be in a scabbard attached to the saddle. Many of us who carry handguns when we ride will use a holster, as it is the safest and most convenient way to carry.

No, it DOES NOT take a lot to for a horse to throw a good rider or even an exceptional rider who rides daily for a living. I speak from almost 50 year of riding experience. A horse slipping on ice or snow can easily unseat a rider.

Things can fall to piece pretty damn quick when you are riding 1,000 lbs. of muscle and adrenaline with a mind of it’s own.

Well I agree to disagree. I ride almost daily, frequently with large groups. Guess we’re lucky, only a few guys come off, usually when a deer bolts out of the woods & tangles in a fence.
Sometimes the 2-3 y.o. green horses are flighty but they learn after a few long days under saddle. Jmo

If we go with the theory that he was thrown from the horse and is injured, how difficult would it be for a search and rescue to find him incapacitated? The area that he’s in, are we thinking needle in a haystack? Or perhaps is it that he found some shelter that is making it so difficult to locate him?

I’m wondering about flying over? Not knowing the terrain & weather, idk if they can. I’m really worried (as all) about hypothermia.
Anyone know how old his horse is? Most of the working cowboys I know don’t keep their personal horse long.
ETA: air searches were performed but I guess called off with all search efforts due to weather.

Last edited:

It depends on terrain and weather. Open ground is much easy to search than wooded areas. Ground that is open, yet has growth on it can be difficult to search. One photo that was posted upthread shows an area with a lot of dead fall trees. Combining the downed trees with snow could make searching and finding someone extremely difficult.

What other elements of the terrain are there that can make a search difficult? Sink holes? Caves? Creeks? Lakes? Ponds?

Another issue is the fact no one knows for sure what day and what time Ben left. A horse moving at a steady walk will move out at three miles per hour. A trot or lope moves the horse at about 6 miles per hour. How long the pace is sustained, as well as how mountainous or hilly the terrain, all factor into potential distance covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper