CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this article says his brother is out on horseback along with Ben's
dogs looking for him. Brother Jack also thought he found the
broken rein while out searching.
Wonder if the dogs came north with his brother or were they at
the ranch with Ben?

<modsnip: no link; all images require a link>

Last edited by a moderator:
What animals are active this time of year in the area? I was thinking bears but wouldn’t they be hibernating right now? Big cats? I know they like to stalk their prey, if the terrain is right it could have jumped him from above and knocked him off. Deer/elk/birds could have simply startled the horse and in a heavily treed area he got knocked off by a branch (been there done that). A simple trip probably wouldn’t have dislodged him, not saying it can’t happen, just unlikely IMO. Gunshots in the distance probably wouldn’t phase a ranch horse, it doesn’t phase mine when the neighbors are shooting. Now if he generally rode with a gun and shot at a predator that may have spooked the horse but again, one would assume gun training prior to trying that.

The horse isn’t injured and I’m sure it’s been ridden through similar terrain before. He could have gotten off to pee and the horse spooked and bolted while he hung on to the rein, hopefully he didn’t get drug. Not sure about his footware in that weather, seems a bit chilly for cowboy boots maybe with wool socks. Hopefully he was wearing appropriate clothing, wool so it stays warm when it’s wet.
Wondering if the horse has any scratches/cuts on his legs, going through the ice would be a problem. Insulated moving water wouldn’t build up much of a sheet of ice.

On Ben's IG he mentioned riding 58 Km one day, that would be
36 miles. Maybe they need to extend their search area.
He also mentioned he had been out range riding checking out the
hills and land all around the ranch. It looked very desolate.
Are we allowed to link to his IG acct.?

Oh how heartbreaking that he hasn't been found yet! Ben, where could you be? I feel awful for his family. So heartwarming seeing the brother out there on his horse- how sick inside he must be, as he searches and there's no sign of his brother.

I keep wishing every time that someone comments on this thread that they're posting he's been found safe. More prayers for Ben's safe return.

Search and Rescue teams are ramping up the search and plan
on continuing the search through the weekend.
Guy who found his horse seems to think they've been looking
on the wrong area of the mountain. Says there were no tracks
leading from the ranch.

Missing cowboy leaves no trace - Merritt Herald

BBM- I wonder if that's why someone thought they had hauled the horse to somewhere else? What's the snow like up there? Had it snowed that day at all or been windy? It seems like if they didn't know he was missing until Monday, tracks could have easily been covered over 24 hours if the snow was light and powdery or there had been snowfall since he left.

I thought the searchers also found tracks in the area that were from the broken rein dragging the ground or something like that. And his brother thought he found the broken rein in the search area.

The article says loggers found the horse and further down says a local hunter found the horse. Is the hunter also one of the loggers?

I think the loggers saw the horse early Monday morning and then the local rancher who was out hunting actually caught the horse later in the day when he found it. I'm pretty sure he was the one who contacted local ranchers to find out who the horse belonged to.

Search underway near Merritt after riderless horse found

This article says he had no phone with him because there is no service in the area.

Also says he may have been using a drone to look for cattle.

Wonder if the drone spooked his horse or spooked other horses in the area which spooked his horse. That herd mentality is strong and I’ve had other people’s horses around me get silly and mine get silly too.

This article says he had no phone with him because there is no service in the area.

Also says he may have been using a drone to look for cattle.

Wonder if the drone spooked his horse or spooked other horses in the area which spooked his horse. That herd mentality is strong and I’ve had other people’s horses around me get silly and mine get silly too.
I didn't see where this article mentions Ben's phone or him possibly using a drone? I wasn't able to view the video in the posted article, so maybe that's where those things are mentioned.
Praying hard for Ben and his family.

I didn't see where this article mentions Ben's phone or him possibly using a drone? I wasn't able to view the video in the posted article, so maybe that's where those things are mentioned.
Praying hard for Ben and his family.

You’re right, it’s not there now. Maybe I grabbed the wrong link. Let me go find it again.

It’s not linking to the same story...wth

. The notes state Tyner is the new cattle boss at Nicola Ranch and is from Wyoming. He was last seen wearing a red wool cap with black trim and cowboy boots.
It’s presumed Tyner went out on a day off to search for lost cows and that he may have been using a drone at the time.
The notes state Tyner didn’t have a cellphone as there is no cell service in the area.
ETA
I got there from a family members Facebook page where they shared the link to the Vancouver sun article. Not sure if I can share that post though as it’s a social media post (to an msm article).

ETA: looks like those details came from a story on 29th and the link is the updated story that dropped those details.

Last edited:
You’re right, it’s not there now. Maybe I grabbed the wrong link. Let me go find it again.

It’s not linking to the same story...wth

ETA
I got there from a family members Facebook page where they shared the link to the Vancouver sun article. Not sure if I can share that post though as it’s a social media post (to an msm article).

ETA: looks like those details came from a story on 29th and the link is the updated story that dropped those details.
Thanks, TBone! I did get confused and read the linked article 2-3 times, lol.
The main questions I have right now concern any clarification searchers or family have re: whether or not Ben may have been trailered to an area by someone else, or did he actually leave from the ranch? Even though in previous articles one fellow has said Ben could not have left from the ranch, I believe he most certainly could have. It's just so difficult for the searchers to know exactly where to base their search, and that's heartbreaking.
He probably didn't intend to go for anything other than a day ride, but he obviously was used to covering a lot of ground.

“I tried to tell them that Monday night when the police stopped me from going up there, that is why I went around the mountain,” Robinson said. “I told the search and rescue up there ‘Don’t waste your time and energy looking in this direction because a horse did not come from [the Nicola Ranch side of the mountain].”

There is no sign of Tyren coming from the ranch, Robinson stressed.

“But now I think they believe because that horse would have had to fly from Nicola Ranch to get where I found him without leaving a track,” Robinson said. “I would say it is almost 100 per cent impossible for anybody to leave that ranch and try and hide their tracks and be successful.”

OK, so it was the rancher who found the horse that has made everyone believe that the horse may have been trailered in. Based on the fact that they didn't see tracks and that a horse who was probably wandering around for over a day came from a different direction than the ranch. I'm thinking the trailering the horse idea is not relevant and didn't happen. If the horse didn't come from the ranch side of the mountain, then that makes me think Ben made it a pretty good distance into the search area, maybe closer to the 97 side and farther north. Or the horse just wandered around for a day and had been all over the place.

As for no tracks, did Ben ever ride on the road? Grimshire Road looks like a good option for road travel and would get him across the Coq. and into the search area within 4 miles if he left from the ranch. Doubt it would leave tracks behind either.

The guy who found and caught the horse is called a "hunter and
tracker" in most articles online. He offered to help the search
organizers to try and backtrack the horse's hoof tracks on
Monday when he found the tracks. Search mgr. declined his help.
Tracker had been out and about on 'the' mountain for the last month so it seems he could have been helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1