CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I the few pictures I can see his hands and reins, he’s not a knot tier from what I can tell. I hope the horse stepped on it to break it. I was thinking about his horses tracks versus the other horses in the area. I read they were looking for the rein drag as the sign it’s his horse. Was wondering if his horse was shod and wouldn’t that leave a different print than an unshod Wild horse or would that only work on compacted snow? I’ve never paid attention. No shoes and it’s a problem. I keep checking for updates. I’m hoping his family finds him soon.

ETA: I read in one of the articles they think he was out looking for lost cattle. I would hope/think it was something discussed about the cattle being lost over at “x” location and him deciding to use a nice day off to go check it out as far as giving them a direction to look.
Here ya go- top photo is unshod and notice frog imprint,
bottom pic is shod. That area is pretty rocky, I'd guess they shoe the working horses. But some people remove shoes when they get much snow to improve traction. IDK, just a guess.
There wasn't much snow when he left the ranch property but
as he went higher up could be deeper.
The first area they started searching was where they thought he might be looking for lost cows. But I think they've exhausted their searching of that area and have branched out.
Rockley Farm: Hoof loading - shod and barefoot comparison

I am curious about the story that the cowboy and his horse were driven to a remote area, where they then disappeared ... and where was his horse found again?

Does anyone have more information about the ranch, his home, the horse drop-off location, the horse pick-up location, where he was last seen?

A real cowboy and his horse are best friends, and if the horse gets home without the cowboy, the best friends find him.

Last edited:
I am curious about the story that the cowboy and his horse were driven to a remote area, where they then disappeared ... and where was his horse found again?

Does anyone have more information about the ranch, his home, the horse drop-off location, the horse pick-up location, where he was last seen?

A real cowboy and his horse are best friends, and if the horse gets home without the cowboy, the best friends find him.
I honestly don't think anyone even knows for certain whether Ben and his horse were driven to a location away from the ranch, or not :(

I think the story originated from Robinson who said there was no way Ben left from the ranch because there were no tracks and the horse came from the wrong side of the mountain leading him to believe he would have been dropped off elsewhere.

I think Ben's whereabouts were confirmed Saturday night, but no timing or location I've seen.

I'm curious why foul play seems to be a possibility now. Is it just because they've been searching for days with no signs of him or have they found something during the searches? Or maybe new information has come to light?

If it was indeed foul play. I'd love to know anyone who could potentially be angry about Ben taking their job or getting the job they applied for, employees Ben may have had issues with, who Ben was with Saturday night and where he was at.

If Ben was the type to always let someone know where he was going, I'd like to know if he normally informed the same person or if he just let someone know.

I don't know how to quote someone, but that is my feeling also. If the horse was rode to the mountain, he would know his way home, they are very smart. However if he was trailered to the backside of the mountain he would not, he would be lost. Since the horse seemed lost and did not turn up at the ranch (his home) it really makes me think he was transported to a trailhead site or a base of the other side of the mountain. And....I cannot remember when but I saw that he left late in the day. Unless he planned on spending the night in the back country, why would he leave so late to look for lost cattle. My common sense meter tells me he would start as early as the crack of dawn for the job ahead. I cannot stop thinking about this poor man, he seemed like a Cowboy's cowboy and I hope for a miracle that he is holed up somewhere waiting to be found alive. IMHO

Random thought, but if the horse reared up and ran home, why didn't the horse arrive at home? I've never heard of a horse not knowing how to get home.
Could be many, many reasons but most common would be:
- not all horses are bright enough to double back from where
they originate. He'd only been at the ranch for 3 months so
not like it was a 'long term home'.
-could have met/seen a predator which scared him in a different
direction.
- rumors say hoofprints show his horse was hanging w/ some of the feral horses, at least for a time. Maybe they chased him
off.
just a few of the many possibile reasons. I'm not surprised.

maybe in the movies..... in real life a horse usually looks
after himself. Ranch horses are working partners and they
work hard, day in and day out. Given the chance for some
freedom and a break from hard work, many will take it.
Look at the expression on the faces of these horses, they
know they're a 'beast of burden', not a best friend.

I don't know how to quote someone, but that is my feeling also. If the horse was rode to the mountain, he would know his way home, they are very smart. However if he was trailered to the backside of the mountain he would not, he would be lost. Since the horse seemed lost and did not turn up at the ranch (his home) it really makes me think he was transported to a trailhead site or a base of the other side of the mountain. And....I cannot remember when but I saw that he left late in the day. Unless he planned on spending the night in the back country, why would he leave so late to look for lost cattle. My common sense meter tells me he would start as early as the crack of dawn for the job ahead. I cannot stop thinking about this poor man, he seemed like a Cowboy's cowboy and I hope for a miracle that he is holed up somewhere waiting to be found alive. IMHO

BBM- I think that was the thought back in the first day or so when the last time anyone had confirmed seen or talked to Ben was Sat. afternoon. In the last couple of days, they've announced he was accounted for Sat. night. So your common sense is likely right, he probably left early Sunday morning and planned to be back Sunday before dark, if not earlier.

I'm hoping for a miracle too. I have a soft spot in my heart for cowboys.

I'm curious why foul play seems to be a possibility now. Is it just because they've been searching for days with no signs of him or have they found something during the searches? Or maybe new information has come to light?

If it was indeed foul play. I'd love to know anyone who could potentially be angry about Ben taking their job or getting the job they applied for, employees Ben may have had issues with, who Ben was with Saturday night and where he was at.

If Ben was the type to always let someone know where he was going, I'd like to know if he normally informed the same person or if he just let someone know.

RCMP say "no trace of him". Without knowing who saw him last or talked to him on Sat. or Sat evening we don't know
much.
Some questions I have:
Did he have a girlfriend there?
Was he in a public or private place where he was last seen?
What was found on his computer and phone?
Was he a drinker? Use any drugs?
What was his emotional state the week before he left?
A relative in Fl. (uncle ?) said he texted him over the weekend
and got no response. Before they knew he was missing.
Did he pack for an overnight trip? Take food, water?
Why didn't he have his dogs with him? Were they at ranch
or home in Wy.?
Did he carry a gun w/ him? Matches or flint?
Did he eat meals provided at ranch- common at big ranches.
Did he sleep alone or in common bunkhouse?
When was last time his truck was used and for what?
Wish we could get more details.

OK here's some new info=
Terry Strada spokesperson (for ranch ?) said Ben was last
seen on Saturday.
"His truck and trailer are in his driveway."
Sounds like he had his own private home on ranch, as is common for the managers.
Now, if he had his own truck and trailer there, why would he
hitch a ride with someone else? He wouldn't, IMO, he would
have hitched up his trailer and driven himself and his horse
out to his drop off point. then at the end of the ride, gone
back to his truck/trailer, loaded up and driven home.

the theory of someone taking him out backcountry is bunk unless they know
someone else from the ranch was missing on Sunday along w/ truck and trailer..
Just because they found no tracks and have no idea where
to track and search, doesn't explain this reasoning.

I still think Kim Robinson was their best hope of finding
him because I'm not seeing the logic of their search plan
or their explanation of how he got to backcountry.
I guess the responsibility would be on RCMP as lead LE.

Maybe some repetitive info here but worth reading. Seems the search continues.
Horse was found at 5:30am so it was out there for a while on it’s own. Depending on when Ben actually was separated from the horse. That would be unknown.

Search Continues for Wyoming Cowboy Missing in British ColumbiaSearch Continues for Wyoming Cowboy Missing in British Columbia

I don’t understand why there is no trace of him. They could be looking in the wrong location. But if he’s ok and has found shelter somewhere, maybe he’s no longer in the same area. Are there cabins anywhere?

I hope this is the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members