CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was only one more activity with the alarm it be the killer/killers letting themselves in or Honey. If it was Honey then the killer could not have been in the house waiting...am i correct?
Unless the open window or an unlocked back door was not affected by the alarm being on or off.
if that is correct then someone would have had to know that. Is that a possibility ?

I haven’t yet found any more details about the alarm. I’d expect the system would have been able to capture when doors and windows were opened and closed which would give us the whole picture.

I’m reading the reports now and I wanted to point out some things. I just found this mention of the pool:
2AD4A253-CCF1-466B-8336-2B515ADF0A3B.jpeg

The maintenance guy who was at the house on Friday told the CBC that he used to service the pool, but hadn’t in years. But it was losing water and Honey’s assistant was topping it up?

Also, here is the preliminary report about incoming and outgoing calls on Honey’s iPhone:
A9D2A85F-EAAD-4E04-8A13-633D6AD9803A.png03AA959D-B7FB-47E5-968B-93EC5707041B.png

Missing is the 20-second pocket dial to the architect and the call to MS after the meeting at Apotex—but maybe those calls were made before 6:21 pm.

There are also no calls to her phone during the time the Thursday visitor was at the home, and no 911 calls to or from the phone, but that’s only part of the phone’s data.

There’s also a part in E. Stern’s statement where she says Barry pointed out the pool camera to her.
BFEEB547-0FF4-4D4D-8FE7-1B568187A38A.jpeg

ETA: The more I read about Friday’s housekeeper the less sense it makes to me. She said Honey would sleep in until 10:00 am on Fridays, so she thought Honey was sleeping when she arrived. But she walked in with the personal trainer who was there to assist Barry and Honey.

Then she noticed Honey’s phone, and that the beds looked strange. And Honey’s car was in the driveway etc. I’m not suggesting that she’s involved in any way, but it’s all odd, imo.

Last edited:
Lexiintoronto, I don't know why but none of your links work. I tried to zoom in on the screen shot but it's all blurry. Anything worthy about the NW?
Don't forget the magnifying function (+) or try copying post such as i have done below then paste on page, it will show up in a larger format.

On another note, this is a new article today from Bloomberg, unfortunately i cannot access it, but maybe others can..

From Lexi's post..(Thank you Lexi! and AB!)
1691064827257.png

Last edited:
Lexiintoronto, I don't know why but none of your links work. I tried to zoom in on the screen shot but it's all blurry. Anything worthy about the NW?

Ugh, sorry! I posted them quickly without checking, thanks for letting me know. I’ll post the links properly, cite the exact locations, and post the full images instead of the thumbnail from now on. (but I can see from the above post you can see the images now).

I get the impression that the redacted parts regarding the NW show them doing something other than simply walking. Their ‘actions and behaviour’ elevated them to a POI initially.

View attachment 438615View attachment 438616

The section above is about their ADT alarm and PIN codes.

-December 12th @ 11:01pm (I think that’s either Barry arriving home or they set the alarm for the night.)
-December 13th @ 8:10am (this matches the general time Barry would open the front door to pick up the morning paper.)
-December 13th @ 4:34 pm (this matches the time Honey left the home if she arrived at Apotex at around 5:00 pm.)
-[Date and time redacted] I think that is possibly December 13th @ around 8:00pm when Honey arrived home and entered, imo. There’s no activity after that, and the redacted area is the same size as the other events which seem routine, so I’m guessing it was another ordinary PIN code entry to disable the alarm.

Screenshots from the documents AB provided: https://substack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com/post-files/135574001/17bfd94b-bd6d-4699-b441-17841b84bf58.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAUM3FPD6B3QYIIL2E&Expires=1690993787&Signature=4wadQvKTshF6WCJC1P5uQqV37DY=&response-content-disposition=attachment; filename="Ito_#12,_Appendix_D_(2020_09_01)_Redacted_Redacted_(2).pdf"
IMO this
If there was only one more activity with the alarm it be the killer/killers letting themselves in or Honey. If it was Honey then the killer could not have been in the house waiting...am i correct?
Unless the open window or an unlocked back door was not affected by the alarm being on or off.
if that is correct then someone would have had to know that. Is that a possibility ?
I assume the last event entirely blacked out is so we do not see what time it happened. I wonder if the last event is to report the alarm system lost power, not password / PIN entry?

Interesting reading comments at the link below about turning off a "monitored" ADT alarm system. (I wonder if BS paid to have his alarm system monitored, if it was installed when the home was built it was a very old system 2 modes day/night and IMO BS would not pay to have it monitored, BS & HS would use it for when they are home and sleeping so they hear it, )

one post about going to the utility room to the alarm power module is interesting to turn off the system completely.

Edit to add: When 50 OC had a break in through the sky light the year before the murders, do we know if the house was monitored and the alarm went off and contact to the monitoring or police was actioned? Was anything stolen in this break in?

Last edited:
I haven’t yet found any more details about the alarm. I’d expect the system would have been able to capture when doors and windows were opened and closed which would give us the whole picture.

I’m reading the reports now and I wanted to point out some things. I just found this mention of the pool:
View attachment 438692

The maintenance guy who was at the house on Friday told the CBC that he used to service the pool, but hadn’t in years. But it was losing water and Honey’s assistant was topping it up?

Also, here is the preliminary report about incoming and outgoing calls on Honey’s iPhone:
View attachment 438694View attachment 438693

Missing is the 20-second pocket dial to the architect and the call to MS after the meeting at Apotex—but maybe those calls were made before 6:21 pm.

There are also no calls to her phone during the time the Thursday visitor was at the home, and no 911 calls to or from the phone, but that’s only part of the phone’s data.

There’s also a part in E. Stern’s statement where she says Barry pointed out the pool camera to her.
View attachment 438697

ETA: The more I read about Friday’s housekeeper the less sense it makes to me. She said Honey would sleep in until 10:00 am on Fridays, so she thought Honey was sleeping when she arrived. But she walked in with the personal trainer who was there to assist Barry and Honey.

Then she noticed Honey’s phone, and that the beds looked strange. And Honey’s car was in the driveway etc. I’m not suggesting that she’s involved in any way, but it’s all odd, imo.
I agree.

But have thought about this before and IMO "good help" if you want to work for the wealthy; know to come in and do what they are hired to do, no complaining or asking questions, they mind their own business and do their best to not get involved in the employers stuff. Many regular staff do not speak fluent English as a first language, this is intentional by the employer.

If the housekeeper only reports and deals with HS, what would she do, they are informed that privacy is important, no gossip, yes she felt a bad omen in the home and things were not right that Friday morning, but who could she share this with, no one to call and say hey this is not normal?

I think we all could have what is considered odd behavior dealing with that situation, who expects to have your employers murdered in the basement? The shock one would be in immediately the mind would have difficulty computing and believing the facts.

Or the killer could have arrived at 8 and disarmed the alarm. Honey could have then come in a bit later and even if she noticed it was disarmed she may have thought she forgot to arm it when she left for Apotex. I am more inclined to think it was Honey that disarmed it, though.

She may have also disarmed it and never armed it again since she knew Barry was on his way and maybe the killer came in after she did.
what about the idea she was ambushed at the door ..how do you explain the phone thrown in that room

Don't forget the magnifying function (+) or try copying post such as i have done below then paste on page, it will show up in a larger format.

On another note, this is a new article today from Bloomberg, unfortunately i cannot access it, but maybe others can..

From Lexi's post..(Thank you Lexi! and AB!)
View attachment 438767

That article is a must-read, thank you for linking it.

It’s very long and we’ll-written. Here is some information that was new to me:

“D’Angelo had investments in restaurants, brewing, energy drinks and film production; most were unprofitable. An internal tally prepared by Sherman’s colleagues and reviewed by Businessweek shows that Sherman extended hundreds of low-interest loans to D’Angelo’s company from 2003 to late 2017. Almost nothing was repaid. The individual loans were typically small, often only a few hundred thousand dollars, but the document shows that by the end of Sherman’s life, the total sum was more than C$268 million, including interest.
[…]
With D’Angelo, Sherman took a harder line. “Losses of 500,000 per month appear to be endless. Despite endless assurances that we are now doing well. Where is it all going??” he asked in a September 2017 email. D’Angelo wrote that business “is just coming around. It’s on a tight rope.” Less than two weeks later, D’Angelo copied Sherman on a discussion of revenue shortfalls in his film and drinks businesses. “Our timing is beyond brutal!” he complained. “Our Movie Sicilian Vampire is No. 1 movie on Mexican t.v. & we are in this situation. I’m reading Fox the f---en riot act this Thursday.”

In response, Sherman said he’d had enough of D’Angelo’s requests for cash. “I have been providing funds month after month for years, averaging close to $1 million per month,” he wrote. “Approximately every 2 weeks, I get another request for funds, because some expected revenue is late, but in reality it is to cover endless losses. There have been countless assurances of various good things that were imminent, but almost nothing has materialized.” He continued: “I will not be able to provide further funding beyond the end of this year, so we need to decide what to do with each division individually.”
[…]

Soon after the murders, according to people with knowledge of the matter and correspondence seen by Businessweek, Shechtman began claiming that Honey had intended to leave her hundreds of millions of dollars—much or even all the money Sherman had been moving to transfer to his wife. Shechtman repeated the claim over the following months and also requested other assets, including jewelry and real estate. Honey “wanted me and my children to get everything of hers,” Shechtman wrote in one email. “She knew the value of her entire estate would be minimal compared to what you and your siblings would inherit and none of you would need it financially.” (A representative for Shechtman declined to comment.)
[…]
Alexandra, four people with knowledge of her views said, had begun to think Jonathon might have been involved in their parents’ deaths. It’s unclear what drove her to that suspicion, and the police, according to the person with knowledge of their investigation, didn’t view it as being based on any evidence.”

Last edited:
That article is a must-read, thank you for linking it.

It’s very long and we’ll-written. Here is some information that was new to me:

“D’Angelo had investments in restaurants, brewing, energy drinks and film production; most were unprofitable. An internal tally prepared by Sherman’s colleagues and reviewed by Businessweek shows that Sherman extended hundreds of low-interest loans to D’Angelo’s company from 2003 to late 2017. Almost nothing was repaid. The individual loans were typically small, often only a few hundred thousand dollars, but the document shows that by the end of Sherman’s life, the total sum was more than C$268 million, including interest.
[…]
With D’Angelo, Sherman took a harder line. “Losses of 500,000 per month appear to be endless. Despite endless assurances that we are now doing well. Where is it all going??” he asked in a September 2017 email. D’Angelo wrote that business “is just coming around. It’s on a tight rope.” Less than two weeks later, D’Angelo copied Sherman on a discussion of revenue shortfalls in his film and drinks businesses. “Our timing is beyond brutal!” he complained. “Our Movie Sicilian Vampire is No. 1 movie on Mexican t.v. & we are in this situation. I’m reading Fox the f---en riot act this Thursday.”

In response, Sherman said he’d had enough of D’Angelo’s requests for cash. “I have been providing funds month after month for years, averaging close to $1 million per month,” he wrote. “Approximately every 2 weeks, I get another request for funds, because some expected revenue is late, but in reality it is to cover endless losses. There have been countless assurances of various good things that were imminent, but almost nothing has materialized.” He continued: “I will not be able to provide further funding beyond the end of this year, so we need to decide what to do with each division individually.”
[…]

Soon after the murders, according to people with knowledge of the matter and correspondence seen by Businessweek, Shechtman began claiming that Honey had intended to leave her hundreds of millions of dollars—much or even all the money Sherman had been moving to transfer to his wife. Shechtman repeated the claim over the following months and also requested other assets, including jewelry and real estate. Honey “wanted me and my children to get everything of hers,” Shechtman wrote in one email. “She knew the value of her entire estate would be minimal compared to what you and your siblings would inherit and none of you would need it financially.” (A representative for Shechtman declined to comment.)
[…]
Alexandra, four people with knowledge of her views said, had begun to think Jonathon might have been involved in their parents’ deaths. It’s unclear what drove her to that suspicion, and the police, according to the person with knowledge of their investigation, didn’t view it as being based on any evidence.”

Wow! This puts FDA and MS and her kids in the spotlight. The treatment of Barry by Frank that the former lawyer talked about totally fits.

MS had told someone (KD?) that FDA couldn't have been responsible because he lost everything when Barry died but now I'm not so sure. He was about to lose it regardless and maybe he didn't want to get exposed publicly.

Wow! This puts FDA and MS and her kids in the spotlight. The treatment of Barry by Frank that the former lawyer talked about totally fits.

MS had told someone (KD?) that FDA couldn't have been responsible because he lost everything when Barry died but now I'm not so sure. He was about to lose it regardless and maybe he didn't want to get exposed publicly.
I agree with you Re both FDA and MS. I can’t access this article, but I am very interested in the following wording: RBBM
“…. Shechtman began claiming that Honey had intended to leave her hundreds of millions of dollars—much or even all the money Sherman had been moving to transfer to his wife. Shechtman repeated the claim over the following months and also requested other assets, including jewelry and real estate. Honey “wanted me and my children to get everything of hers,” Shechtman wrote in one email. “She knew the value of her entire estate would be minimal compared to what you and your siblings would inherit and none of you would need it financially.” (A representative for Shechtman declined to comment.)

These 3 bolded items suggest to me that MS expected to be left money and valuables by HS. The way this is worded sure sounds to me like these items were apparently to be left to MS as part of HS estate, not while she was alive. If so, I think it could indicate a motive for MS in these crimes. Moo.

what about the idea she was ambushed at the door ..how do you explain the phone thrown in that room
a few thoughts come to my mind, red herring, HS actually did use this washroom and left it there? part of the complex staging? or she was hiding in there and found and the culprit did not know she had her cell phone in there with her?

I agree with you Re both FDA and MS. I can’t access this article, but I am very interested in the following wording: RBBM
“…. Shechtman began claiming that Honey had intended to leave her hundreds of millions of dollars—much or even all the money Sherman had been moving to transfer to his wife. Shechtman repeated the claim over the following months and also requested other assets, including jewelry and real estate. Honey “wanted me and my children to get everything of hers,” Shechtman wrote in one email. “She knew the value of her entire estate would be minimal compared to what you and your siblings would inherit and none of you would need it financially.” (A representative for Shechtman declined to comment.)

These 3 bolded items suggest to me that MS expected to be left money and valuables by HS. The way this is worded sure sounds to me like these items were apparently to be left to MS as part of HS estate, not while she was alive. If so, I think it could indicate a motive for MS in these crimes. Moo.
I think if that were the case she would wait until the money was transferred and the will competed before she knocked them off? IMO to MS if HS had the access to the $$, so did she, MS did not need her to die, nor did BS need to die for MS to prosper.

It does give me thought that BS was changing his "ways" and not only seeing JS in a money hungry character but also FDA as well, to me they are very similar from an overview glance. IMO BS took stock of the people in his life that he freely gave $$ to over and over, after the Winters actions he changed and said enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08