Canada - Boy, 17, murdered mom, left dead in home for months, Toronto, 23 Jan 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
Boy, 17, arrested in Winnipeg; murdered Toronto mom sat dead in home for months
''Toronto police say they have arrested a 17-year-old boy in Winnipeg in connection with the death of his mother, whose body sat in a Toronto home for at least two months before it was found.

Police say they were called to a home on Atlas Avenue, in the area of St. Clair Avenue West and Oakwood Avenue, sometime on Monday for a report of a death inside.

On Thursday, they told reporters that they have now classified the death of the 54-year-old woman as a homicide.''
''Investigators at the scene told CTV News Toronto that the woman’s body had been inside the home undiscovered for at least two months.''

Boy charged with murder after woman, 54, found dead in home near St. Clair and Oakwood
homicide-atlas-jan-23-blurred.jpg

A woman's death in a home on Atlas Avenue has been ruled a homicide. 680 NEWS/Mark Douglas
''A boy has been charged with murder after a woman was found dead in a home near St. Clair and Oakwood Avenues.

Police say they discovered the body on Monday at a home on Atlas Street after being called to conduct a well-being check.

An autopsy was conducted and her death has been ruled a homicide. She has been identified as Giulia Matthews of Toronto.

Her cause of death has not been released. It’s believed her body had been in the home for some time before she was found.''

Why did it take two months for someone to notice she wasn't about? Surely other people knew her other than her son?
Maybe nobody noticed because it is winter time, otherwise the family spent a lot of time on the porch in the summer?

‘The whole street is left in sadness’: 54-year-old woman found dead in Oakwood-Vaughan home was victim of homicide, police say | The Star
“They are very nice people, I am so moved.”

Sillato said she saw police tape around the house on Monday, but had just heard about the murder on the news. There had never been any trouble there, she said.

“I always stopped and talked to the lady,” she said, calling the family who lived at the home, “such good neighbours.”

Anthony Westenberg, who lives across the street, called them a “wonderful” and “quiet but friendly” family, who sat out on their porch all summer.

“The whole street is left in sadness,” he said''

That the mother was deceased inside her home for perhaps two months prior to the discovery of her murder is a secondary tragedy in itself. It points toward the possibility she had isolated herself in an unhealthy situation involving her teenage son. Heartbreaking, shocking and so tragic....two lives needlessly destroyed if the conviction of the 17 year-old son comes to pass.

As the arrest of “the boy” occurred so quickly, I’m thinking something related directly to him which appeared deeply suspicious must’ve arisen in order to point to his involvement so quickly after his mother’s body was found. I wonder if he gained access to her online banking and stole her cellphone and was impersonating her via text message or email, to make it appear she was alive and well and in contact with others.

As for the mindset of the 17 year old, it’s quite horrifying to imagine how it could be that days turned into weeks, weeks into months.....and he what, just pretended to others that his mother was okay even though he knew she was not??? Was he staying with another relatives, inventing stories???..... In the absence of knowing more regarding the circumstances, I can’t think of any other logical explanation of how this tragedy came to pass, undiscovered for this length of time. Whatever occurred, my heart goes out to all the victim’s relatives and friends.

Toronto Police Service :: News Release #46426
Homicide #5/2020,
Atlas Avenue and St.Clair Avenue West,
Giulia Matthews, 54,

Broadcast time: 15:00
Thursday, January 23, 2020

13 Division
416-808-7400

Case #: 2020-136609

On Monday, January 20, 2020, police conducted a well-being check at an address located in the St. Clair Avenue West and Atlas Avenue area.

Police attended and located a deceased woman. The coroner attended and deemed the death suspicious. An autopsy was conducted.

On Thursday, January 23, 2020, the woman has been identified as Giulia Matthews, 54, of Toronto, and is the the victim of Homicide #5/2020.

A boy has been arrested and charged with:

1. Second Degree Murder...
(more)

Last edited:
I know this is cold as ... but I knew this woman I met her personally and was in that house I've met the young man in question, he isn't capable of this crime without an external force.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aceofswords
Back