Canada - Bruce McArthur charged in murders of six men, Toronto, 2010-2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LadyL,

Please forgive me - I’m new, hope I’m posting correctly. Im not sure how to reply to a specific post - any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the sketch from the Vancouver case and BM’s year book photo side by side and there are some similarities. Total speculation, but intriguing nonetheless.
Sketch
http://vancouversun.com/news/crime/...technology-will-lead-to-arrest-in-2003-murder
BM yearbook photo
Http://nationalpost/feature/Bruce-mcarthur-small-town-sock-salesman-to-accused-serial-killer

has anyone heard if BM ever left Canada at any point or if he was strictly only in Canada?

He has travelled. TPS have had calls from lands far away but won't go into details. Scary stuff.

:welcome::welcome4: Hi Jpoho!

Just over Quick Reply, it says +Reply to Thread

At the bottom of a reply it says Post Quick Reply/Go Advanced/Cancel

You might want to read some of the stickies, FAQ, Forums etc along the top of the page.

Good luck and welcome!

LadyL,

Please forgive me - I’m new, hope I’m posting correctly. Im not sure how to reply to a specific post - any help is appreciated.

I was looking at the sketch from the Vancouver case and BM’s year book photo side by side and there are some similarities. Total speculation, but intriguing nonetheless.
Sketch
http://vancouversun.com/news/crime/...technology-will-lead-to-arrest-in-2003-murder
BM yearbook photo
Http://nationalpost/feature/Bruce-mcarthur-small-town-sock-salesman-to-accused-serial-killer

Welcome to Ws Jpoho!
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?263312-Canada-Edgar-quot-Iggy-quot-Leonardo-36-Vancouver-23-Aug-2003&p=13910397&highlight=iggy+leonardo#post13910397
[h=2]Edgar "Iggy" Leonardo, 36, Vancouver, 23 Aug 2003[/h]

Thank you!

So, while some of the current reporting is questionable, in all likelihood a publication ban will not begin until it's requested at a preliminary hearing:

Section 539 (1)
Rationale and Scope: Where serious criminal charges have been filed, a preliminary hearing (also known as a preliminary inquiry) is held in provincial court to determine whether there is enough evidence to justify sending the accused for trial. Since the purpose of a preliminary inquiry is to determine whether the Crown has a prima facie case (rather than to also hear evidence the defence may present to rebut the Crown’s case), the hearing often doesn’t provide a balanced picture of the evidence.To prevent the airing of potentially distorted and prejudicial information, the judge presiding at a preliminary hearing has the power to ban publication of “the evidence taken”at the
proceeding. Again, the order is mandatory if sought by the defendant but the judge can refuse a prosecution request.

The ban specifies “evidence”– that is, the testimony of witnesses and any information contained in documents tendered as exhibits.But it isn’t as sweeping as the restriction on reporting on bail hearings, so the media can report procedural matters, legal arguments and other courtroom statements that do not disclose evidence.

But now I have another question or two:
If he is only charged with ___ murders and more victims are identified after the beginning of his preliminary hearing, will those crimes be charged separately?

If additional victims are discovered and identified when a publication ban is in effect, could the media report details of those crimes and about evidence which connects McArthur to them?

LadyL,

Sketch
BM yearbook photo

Jpoho :welcome6:

Good catch....just noting that BM would have been 51 in 2003...fwiw.

Thank you!

So, while some of the current reporting is questionable, in all likelihood a publication ban will not begin until it's requested at a preliminary hearing:

If he is only charged with ___ murders and more victims are identified after the beginning of his preliminary hearing, will those crimes be charged separately?

If additional victims are discovered and identified when a publication ban is in effect, could the media report details of those crimes and about evidence which connects McArthur to them?

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but here are a couple of guesses. First, there may well not be a preliminary hearing - the Crown could go straight to trial given the evidence they seem to have (the details of which, of course, we don't know.) Secondly, there likely won't be a trial date set until the current investigation has been concluded - or at least until they're satisfied they have enough to proceed on. Consider Robert Pickton, who may have killed as many as 49 women; he was tried and convicted of just 6 (as I recall) first-degree murder charges. Not a good conclusion for the families of his victims, but sufficient to lock him up for life. And finally, any trial date will be a long way off.

Thank you!

The media will always be able to report on this case and BM's crimes. A publication ban only covers what can be reported on from court. It is usually implemented for evidence presented in a preliminary hearing, so that a potential jury cannot become swayed before jury selection or before the trial begins. Usually it's not implemented for the actual trial, other than when they jury is out of the room, for example legal discussions. A publication ban doesn't stop reporters from doing their own investigative journalism into BM or the victims, it just stops them from reporting on certain things presented in or discussed in court.

I would also think that a preliminary hearing would not begin until they have completed their investigation. There is a timeline they have to stick to however, so if more charges are laid after a prelim begins, they may be tried separately, but I'm not entirely certain on that. They might also add those charges and have them tried all together.

A preliminary hearing can also be potentially skipped all together, if evidence is strong enough that they can go straight to trial.

LadyL,

Sketch
BM yearbook photo

I believe BM's DNA was entered into the National Database when he was convicted on April 11, 2003.

He was further ordered to go to counselling, including anger management. He was not allowed to have any firearms, cross-bows, ammunition or explosives for 10 years, and was to have a sample of DNA taken and added to a database.

Bruce McArthur barred from Gay Village as part of sentence for 2001 assault

jmo

CP24: Ground sufficiently thawed but no forensic anthropologist on scene yet. Only one F.A. that works with the Coroner's office so I guess she is pretty busy. Likely that she will begin tomorrow.

CP24: Ground sufficiently thawed but no forensic anthropologist on scene yet. Only one F.A. that works with the Coroner's office so I guess she is pretty busy. Likely that she will begin tomorrow.
Tracy Rogers?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:welcome::welcome4: Hi Jpoho!

Just over Quick Reply, it says +Reply to Thread

At the bottom of a reply it says Post Quick Reply/Go Advanced/Cancel

You might want to read some of the stickies, FAQ, Forums etc along the top of the page.

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks so much, JDG and others who are so welcoming and helpful. I think ? I did this right. I’m on a smart phone so it’s not quite as intuitive or obvious.

Jpoho :welcome6:

Good catch....just noting that BM would have been 51 in 2003...fwiw.

LadyL - ha ha! Math is clearly not my strong point, or connecting those two pieces! Lots to learn. Thanks for the welcome!

Indeed Jasper ... DNA for sure, and what LadyL said, “...BM would have been 51 in 2003...”

I was just posting that BM.s DNA was entered into the database in April of 2003. Leonardo was believed to be killed in Aug. 2003. LE ran DNA through the National Database, thus BM's DNA would have already been entered and no match was found. ;)

jmo

The more I think about this case, and the charges that have been laid, the more I think that LE found DNA in BM's apartment. There may have been photographic evidence, but in order to lay the charges that they did, I'm thinking they had to confirm through DNA. Especially when considering Soroush Marmudi and Dean Lisowick. Having not been a concentration of either Project Houston and Project Prism, I don't think they could have confirmed their identity through photographs alone. I think they ran DNA evidence through their database, and it hit. The remains found at Mallory Cres. had not been identified at that time.

Thoughts?

The more I think about this case, and the charges that have been laid, the more I think that LE found DNA in BM's apartment. There may have been photographic evidence, but in order to lay the charges that they did, I'm thinking they had to confirm through DNA. Especially when considering Soroush Marmudi and Dean Lisowick. Having not been a concentration of either Project Houston and Project Prism, I don't think they could have confirmed their identity through photographs alone. I think they ran DNA evidence through their database, and it hit. The remains found at Mallory Cres. had not been identified at that time.

Thoughts?

I thought it was the drop of blood from the van that broke the case. That was before they entered the apartment?? IMO

I thought it was the drop of blood from the van that broke the case. That was before they entered the apartment?? IMO

LE had been watching BM - I don't think it's been determined WHY they decided to watch him. They entered his apartment when they noticed a man entered it - they couldn't just sit outside knowing a possible crime was about to be committed. AFAIR, they didn't enter the apartment because of a piece of direct evidence but to prevent a possible crime committed by someone they were watching.

jmo

Yes, that's what may have broke the case, and may have led to the charges of the murder of Andrew and Selim. The charges of the other murders came later, though. Clearly from additional evidence gathered through their investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southshore16