Canada - Bruce McArthur charged in murders of six men, Toronto, 2010-2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one situation where "Not in my backyard" is entirely justifiable. The horror is that for so many people from Toronto and a lot of southern Ont., people are going to realize that far fewer than 6 degrees of separation is the reality with BM.
Even just being close to The Danforth is making me queasy right now. Even passing a bar I know he frequented this week made me uncomfortable. I'm not even the people he met with or hired him. It's truly very triggering.

I found this astounding and enraging.
And Andrew got the greatest coverage. Imagine what it's like for the families of the others. Knowing most people don't even know your loved one is missing... I dunno, it's all so sad.

They are the sweetest babes and so intelligent! It blows my mind.

I started doing scent work with my dogs after the Douglas Garland trial. It truly is amazing to watch these dogs work. It's incredible how sensitive their noses are. Quite incredible.

Gentle reminder: Believe the community that this directly impacts when they tell you what has happened here. They are speaking the truth that they live everyday. They are the experts of their lives and experiences. This is an important read.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...s-are-disposable-and-whose-lives-are-not.html

As the motto “Believe Women” becomes more widespread in light of #MeToo, let’s expand that in light of police attitudes to the marginalized. Believe Black people and definitely Believe Black trans people.

Feb. 2 2018
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...cond-time.html
Gay Village stalked by a serial killer . . . a second time?

In the late 1970s, police were confronted with 14 murders of gay men that followed a similar pattern of “overkill.” Eight of those murders are still unsolved.

A financial analyst, tied to a bed, strangled, and stabbed to death. A disco manager, stabbed 100 times in his blood-soaked apartment. A part-time lecturer at the University of Toronto, found naked with stab wounds to the back and chest.

These gay men are counted among eight similar unsolved murders in Toronto between 1975 and 1978.

The recent arrest of Bruce McArthur on five murder charges may feel like a case of déjà vu for some in the Church and Wellesley Village who wrestled with the unanswered question of whether these men were being preyed upon by a serial killer four decades ago.

Fourteen gay men were murdered in that period, but those eight cases are cold to this day.

McArthur would have been between about 23 and 26 years old at the time of those deaths.

There are close to 600 cold cases in Toronto. With active crime scenes taking precedence as police continue to comb through the properties of McArthur’s landscaping clients, revisiting cold cases is a secondary priority in the investigation, said Det.-Sgt. Stacy Gallant of Toronto Police’s Homicide Squad Cold Case unit.

“We have to look at each one and see … is it worthy of further attention to see whether or not there could be something there linking it to him,” he said.

This one line from the article you quoted says it all, sadly:

'Serial killers succeed when they know their victims are not valued'.

Gentle reminder: Believe the community that this directly impacts when they tell you what has happened here. They are speaking the truth that they live everyday. They are the experts of their lives and experiences. This is an important read.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/sta...s-are-disposable-and-whose-lives-are-not.html

As the motto “Believe Women” becomes more widespread in light of #MeToo, let’s expand that in light of police attitudes to the marginalized. Believe Black people and definitely Believe Black trans people.

I don't know anyone personally who would, even now, have a clue what they are. Most people don't have an interest in crime beyond a blaring headline.

Also, I still remain completely amazed at the amount of folks that weren't aware of Project Houston or Project Prism. Many people, even with the coverage it received, may not have know Andrew was missing or had seen his picture. I know it's a crazy thought for us on WS, but it's true. Not everyone is as informed or in the loop as we are.

Sorry if I trigger any waterworks but everyone who can manage to do it needs to read this piece. Made me cry, gave me chills.

https://hazlitt.net/longreads/death-village

Hugs to everyone who's hurting.

That's a very powerful article. A world I don't know, but now have a greater closeness to. Thank you for posting a link and thank you to the author.

Sandra Wieland says: “Why does the media say gay men were murdered. Do they say straight man shot last night. Stop the labels. We are the human race.”

Since June 12, 2016, I have not once walked into a gay bar or café or community centre without thinking, “I wonder if today is the day someone decides to kill us.”

In the heart of the village, behind the 519, in the park across from Tess Richey’s alleyway memorial, you will find a bank of roses, and among them on plates a list of names. These are Toronto’s dead, lost to AIDS, when no one in power cared to act, when the old boys’ network raided the bathhouses and the parks and the bars.

In the summer we hold a vigil, and by candlelight we recite their names, and we recite the names of those killed at the Pulse massacre, and we recite the names of anyone else who was loved and lost. This year we will recite new names.

Their names were Selim Esen. Skandaraj Navaratnam. Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan. Abdulbasir Faizi. Sorush Marmudi. Dean Lisowick. Andrew Kinsman. Alloura Wells. Tess Richey.

There are more names. There will be more names still.

And we will forget some.

And we will not know how many died in silence and in secret and alone. No one will tell those stories. No one will know how.

Very powerful.

HOW BRUCE MCARTHUR WENT FROM SMALL-TOWN SOCK SALESMAN TO ACCUSED SERIAL KILLER
Robert MacEachern was finished supper, sitting in front of the television at his cattle farm, wanting to watch the news for the next day’s weather but stuck on one of his wife’s programs instead. The phone rang. He answered it. His brother was on the other end, a little out of breath.

“Did you hear?” he asked.

MacEachern hadn’t heard. He hadn’t seen the news that night, January 18. So he’d missed all the stories about Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old man accused of murdering two men who had disappeared from Toronto’s gay village.
http://nationalpost.com/feature/bruce-mcarthur-small-town-sock-salesman-to-accused-serial-killer

Sorry if I trigger any waterworks but everyone who can manage to do it needs to read this piece. Made me cry, gave me chills.

https://hazlitt.net/longreads/death-village

Hugs to everyone who's hurting.
When you take all those stories of injustice and pain together, I just really don't understand why some folks don't see what I see.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :heartbeat::(.

CP24 live now reporting LE have seized 15 planters.

That's another 3 planters. No link to MSM article available yet.

On Page 1 of the new BM forum page, why is McArthur’s photo posted as Skanda Navaratnam, one of BM’s possible victims?

Admins, could you please fix this error?

846f59b291c9a241bddddc7994aa2e11.jpg

Thank you.

Also, in Tapatalk, I am finding it very difficult to find all the different threads in this new forum. I would be grateful if someone can tell me the names of the primary discussion threads so that I can subscribe to them? Thank you very much. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...agencies-in-bruce-mcarthur-investigation.html
By Ainslie CruickshankStaff Reporter
Vjosa IsaiStaff Reporter
Tamar HarrisStaff Reporter
Feb. 2, 2018
Toronto police seeking help from other agencies in Bruce McArthur investigation

National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains as well as OPP’s serial predator crime investigations unit have been contacted.
They are also in the process of connecting with the Ontario Provincial Police’s serial predator crime investigations unit about the case, police spokesperson Meaghan Gray told the Star on Friday.
South of the border, FBI spokesperson Kelsey Pietranton said she was “unable to confirm or deny the existence of an investigation.”

For police, missing people are some of the “most difficult” cases, said Carole Bird, a retired RCMP officer, who led the development of Canada’s National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains and was at its helm until she retired in 2015.

Under Bird’s leadership, the centre pushed for a national database for police to provide more comprehensive information about missing persons’ cases.

This meant an investigating police service could ask the centre to match a missing person case with unidentified remains or look for links with other cases across the country, Bird explained.
In Toronto, 4,000-7,000 people go missing every year, said Gray, the Toronto police spokesperson.

Sixty-four per cent of these people are typically found within 48 hours, 90 per cent within a month and 97 per cent are found within a year.

The intensity of a Toronto police investigation into a missing person depends on the circumstances surrounding their disappearance as well as their age. At minimum, searches include the home and immediate area, canvessing the neighbours and interviews with those who last saw the missing person.
It’s not all up to police, she added.

“The public has a role to play in helping law enforcement find people or determining that something has happened,” Bird said. “It’s very important that if people have seen something, they say something.”

When you take all those stories of injustice and pain together, I just really don't understand why some folks don't see what I see.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :heartbeat::(.

Same. I shared this article with my husband and we fought about it... mostly because his mother is a former cop so he's defensive, and because he apparently doesn't view me as a queer woman (well THAT was quite an argument) so doesn't understand the pain this is causing everyone in our community even if we are not in BM's target demographic. So many tears tonight.

Incredible that he was able to fly under the radar all these years.

Someone mentioned earlier on, in another thread that he reminded them of John Wayne Gacy. He might not be far off of that feeling.

TPS is really going to have to have some kind of internal/external review of their practises when it comes to missing persons. My God, they have dropped the ball in a HUGE way this time. And, it's not as if it hasn't happened previously.

The thing I hate about all of this now is that it's all going to be about BM, and as the victims pile up, they will just become a number. This is heartbreaking on so many levels.

How could this have been going on under everyone's noses? I am stupefied.

And finally, I cannot shake the feeling that I know this guy from somewhere or somehow. I can't put my finger on it but he looks so familiar to me.
Residents of the village have gone on record saying that they pleaded with the police to take these matters more seriously and that the missing men were connected but were flat out told there was no connection. Essentially, their pleas fell on deaf ears. TPS is one of the worst forces in Canada. There seems to be a "I'm too busy, we are understaffed, can't get everything done apathy" instilled within the officers that I feel trickles down from their union boss Mike McCormick. This apathetic ripple effect can be felt in the lack of effort that went into solving these crimes.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant but this seems like a case that could have been solved much earlier. There are many commonalities between the victims and cross-referencing the dating ap seems like a smoking gun. I suspect the police didn't take this case seriously until Kinsman disappeared and his sisters and friends lobbied hard for a better effort. Kinsman's demographic and social status is different than some of the other victims.

Same. I shared this article with my husband and we fought about it... mostly because his mother is a former cop so he's defensive, and because he apparently doesn't view me as a queer woman (well THAT was quite an argument) so doesn't understand the pain this is causing everyone in our community even if we are not in BM's target demographic. So many tears tonight.
Luckily, my partner supports me in the good fight. My other family members, my goodness, I bring up my concerns, and they either change the subject, invalidate me, don't fully grasp what I'm articulating, or it also turns into a fight. It's sad because in the end, it's silencing and isolating, much like how marginalized folks feel. The emotional labour takes a toll. Take care of yourself :heartbeat:.

I'm not trying to sound arrogant but this seems like a case that could have been solved much earlier. There are many commonalities between the victims and cross-referencing the dating ap seems like as smoking gun. I suspect the police didn't take this case seriously until Kinsman disappeared and his sisters and friends lobbied hard for a better effort. Kinsman demographic and social status is different than some of the other victims.
Not in the slightest bit arrogant! Perfectly articulated. Valid concerns that I too share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User1652735