Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A coroner has been called to the Toronto home where alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur worked and where the remains of seven men have already been located.

Neither police nor the coroner would comment Wednesday on what, if anything, has been found.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4733017

From that article;

"The dig could take several months to complete, he added, as all of the trees and undergrowth need to be removed before breaking ground."

I would do a drive by but the whole street is taken up with police vehicles, so no point in taking a trip to the nearby grocery store.

To those of you who know the area better than I do - how secluded is the back of the property and the ravine? I'm having difficulty imagining how someone of BM's age and physique managed to bury remains (assuming that's what they're finding) and never be noticed. He could have worked on the planters in the garage, but this seems to indicate outdoor activity on multiple occasions.

They have removed remains from the ravine. Awaiting the identification of the remains. Might be one person or more.
Still have other areas in the ravine to excavate. There was a short delay while the City removed some trees to allow for equipment to be brought in.
Media will be allowed to take some footage of the area being worked on.
The cadaver dogs are 'on site' and being used as needed. They are being kept in cars (not the kind of dog one should pet!!)
They are now leading the media down into the ravine to view excavation site.

I do hope BM didn't bury people all over that enormous ravine. :eek:

They have removed remains from the ravine. Awaiting the identification of the remains. Might be one person or more.
Still have other areas in the ravine to excavate. There was a short delay while the City removed some trees to allow for equipment to be brought in.
Media will be allowed to take some footage of the area being worked on.
The cadaver dogs are 'on site' and being used as needed. They are being kept in cars (not the kind of dog one should pet!!)
They are now leading the media down into the ravine to view excavation site.

I do hope BM didn't bury people all over that enormous ravine. :eek:
Wish we could hear the media questions as well as his answers! Still wondering how BM could have done this alone. He could have had innocent help to move the planters, but it's difficult to understand how he managed the outdoor burials.

Hope the dog cars are air-conditioned for them!

To those of you who know the area better than I do - how secluded is the back of the property and the ravine? I'm having difficulty imagining how someone of BM's age and physique managed to bury remains (assuming that's what they're finding) and never be noticed. He could have worked on the planters in the garage, but this seems to indicate outdoor activity on multiple occasions.
It seems they've found the current remains in a pile of debris above ground.

However, looking at 53 Mallory Crescent on gmaps with the satellite view, it is incredibly secluded. There's a portion of ravine that slopes down to railway tracks and nothing but busy Bayview (blocked from view by vegetation) on the side opposite the neighbours.

Finding that location, and winning the trust of homeowners who regularly went away to the cottage or other travelling, was IMO, how he got away with this. There was zero forensic evidence for police to investigate, the owners never suspected a thing.

Includes short behind the scenes video.
More human remains found at home linked to Bruce McArthur
"Igsinga said crews were only able to begin excavation after arrangements were made with the City of Toronto, which looks after the ravine, and some trees were removed to allow better access to the site.

There was also no word on how long the remains had been on the property.

Idsinga admitted they were surprised to have found more remains so quickly.

“We anticipated being here for weeks, quite frankly, digging. (When) we found them that quickly, it was a bit of a surprise,” he said.

Idsinga now estimates they will remain at the property until at least next week."

So, if he was able to bury remains (of other victims and/or those also found in the planters) underground near the ravine, the use of the planters as well was all part of some hideous and sick game.

More likely the ravine is a dumping ground and the planters are his trophies of the men he had relationships with.

It’s a compost pile. He likely used equipment to dump remains off the back of the property.

Susan Pfeiffer, a professor emeritus of anthropology from the University of Toronto, described the process of recovering human remains. Pfeiffer has been part of archeological digs in Africa and Ontario, working with remains thousands of years old in some cases.

While she is not a forensic anthropologist, the task is something her work involves.

Determining where a burial is requires a trained eye, she said. Disturbances in the soil, variations in the colour of it, are telltale signs there could be something beneath.

“It’s not just looking for the remains; it’s also carefully assessing the space around them,” she said.

An inside look at the task, in the McArthur investigation, of excavating for human remains | The Star

Idsinga was interviewed on CBC radio this morning. He said the remains they found on July 4 were buried in loose soil 2 to 3 feet underground. It also sounded as if what they're finding are fragments of bone and teeth, which will mean identification will likely take a long time (my inference, not his words.) Sounds like the poor guy can't win - he gave the media unprecedented access to the dig to promote transparency (and to deter reporters from sneaking in) but some are criticizing that it could contaminate the crime scene. Hard to imagine BM's defence credibly arguing that the latest discoveries are somehow unconnected to the evidence they already have!

Idsinga mentioned the dogs making false positives and I would think that is a very likely possibility. I wonder if BM used that compost pile to fill planters or spread dirt on Mallory Cres. and other properties he was contracted to landscape thus making some of the false positive hits correct after all? That pile in the news footage is a rather large area of debris for compost.

Second set of human remains found near home linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

The Canadian Press

July 6, 2018 11:20 AM EDT

Second set of human remains found near home linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Toronto police say they’ve found more human remains in a ravine near a home linked to alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

This is the second set of remains police have found after forensic investigators began digging Wednesday near the property where McArthur worked as a landscaper.

Det. Hank Idsinga says the human remains found Thursday have been sent for testing and no identification has been made.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joy1218
Back