Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Humboldt Broncos
@HumboldtBroncos
Logan Boulet - #HumboldtBroncos Defense….

Multi-sport athlete, talented hockey player, quiet but lit up a room with quick wit, artistic, musical and an adventurer.

Together, we are #HumboldtStrong

CB6943BA-E92F-4AFF-AC4C-83F9FF50CA23.jpeg

It was Logan’s funeral today. His organs helped six people. Rest In Peace Logan.

It's so hard to come here. So much sadness and tragedy. As we all find it. Friends Son was killed 2 days ago in a freak work accident. He was crushed by malfunctioning machinery. In his 20's. I need me some happy :tears: Thanks for all the updates folks. I will read thru them all in the days to come.......

Oh no, Bravo! I am so deeply sorry about your friend’s son. :tears: You take whatever time away you need and be gentle with yourself. Your community has been on high-stress and another devastating accident like this you are experiencing can really play havoc on your own emotions and health.
:grouphug:

It's so hard to come here. So much sadness and tragedy. As we all find it. Friends Son was killed 2 days ago in a freak work accident. He was crushed by malfunctioning machinery. In his 20's. I need me some happy :tears: Thanks for all the updates folks. I will read thru them all in the days to come.......

Sincere condolences to you.

The memorial at the site where a semi collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus continues to grow as people honour the lives lost in the tragedy.

The crash at the intersection of Highway 35 and Highway 335, north of Tisdale, happened as the Broncos were travelling to Nipawin for a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoff game on April 6.

Sixteen people have died and the other 13 people on the bus were all injured — 10 remained in hospital one week later, with two still in critical condition.

Leader-Post photojournalist Brandon Harder stopped at the site on April 14, where people continue to leave flowers and mementoes. While he was there, Nipawin’s Rocky Salisbury arrived and set up 16 crosses, one for each of the people who has died.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/photos-memorial-grows-at-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-site

1B2D191E-606A-4288-B494-DD4D0271A142.jpeg

Humboldt Broncos
@HumboldtBroncos
Logan Boulet - #HumboldtBroncos Defense….

Multi-sport athlete, talented hockey player, quiet but lit up a room with quick wit, artistic, musical and an adventurer.

Together, we are #HumboldtStrong

View attachment 132919

It was Logan’s funeral today. His organs helped six people. Rest In Peace Logan.

( I can't find the words, Spelly will know what to say...)

Ps:
Hang in there, Bravo

:grouphug:

Thanks gregjrichards and everyone for the updates. It is really deep and sad reading here. Can feel it deep in my heart and gut :(

:canada:

The memorial at the site where a semi collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus continues to grow as people honour the lives lost in the tragedy.

The crash at the intersection of Highway 35 and Highway 335, north of Tisdale, happened as the Broncos were travelling to Nipawin for a Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League playoff game on April 6.

Sixteen people have died and the other 13 people on the bus were all injured — 10 remained in hospital one week later, with two still in critical condition.

Leader-Post photojournalist Brandon Harder stopped at the site on April 14, where people continue to leave flowers and mementoes. While he was there, Nipawin’s Rocky Salisbury arrived and set up 16 crosses, one for each of the people who has died.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-news/photos-memorial-grows-at-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-site

attachment.php

Such a special gesture. I completely understand people wanting to stop at the site, but surely people pulling over at the side of a 100 km highway and perhaps walking across it cannot be safe. We don’t need another tragedy that’s for sure!
With respect to the crash itself, I can’t imagine the additional carnage that would have occurred if they hadn’t removed the gas station that used to be on that corner.

Such a special gesture. I completely understand people wanting to stop at the site, but surely people pulling over at the side of a 100 km highway and perhaps walking across it cannot be safe. We don’t need another tragedy that’s for sure!
With respect to the crash itself, I can’t imagine the additional carnage that would have occurred if they hadn’t removed the gas station that used to be on that corner.

I recall reading in an article earlier this week that they have lowered the speed limit to 60km/h temporarily because of the high volume of traffic right now. Lots of media still going out there, and of course people stopping to pay their respects.

Humboldt Broncos goaltender Parker Tobin will be honoured Sunday with a service in Stony Plain’s Glenn Hall Arena.

Community members lined the town’s 53 Street with hockey sticks and are in mourning together for the 18 year old, remembered by many for the years he spent serving as the voice of the local Flyers and Eagles, said Stony Plain Mayor William Choy.

Tobin grew up in Stony Plain and played in nearby Spruce Grove and Drayton Valley before being traded to the Broncos. The funeral and celebration of life is scheduled from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. for viewing and last respects.

“From Day 1 of hockey, (his family) was involved and volunteering in the community,” said Choy on Sunday. “It’s just a horrific accident that’s affected not only our community but the entire county.”

Tobin was originally thought to have survived the bus collision last week, which killed 16 people. But a Saskatchewan coroner confirmed Monday he had been misidentified.

Throughout the week, tributes have been pouring in for a young man who loved hockey, supported his teammates and had a great sense of humour.

“Parker was a fine young man who loved hockey and played with passion. He was a team player, a standup guy and an inspiration to his teammates,” the Junior A team Drayton Valley Thunder team said on its website.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...broncos-parker-tobin-set-for-sunday-afternoon

0EF1BF54-426D-465C-B060-A4DA22717D6A.jpeg

Rest In Peace Parker

Thanks so much Spellz, gregr, margarita and all who thanked my post. Such wonderful, supportive folk here. I was kinda here on other threads but not absorbing much. I'm good. It's not about me but appreciated the support. Thanks again folks :loveyou:

I recall reading in an article earlier this week that they have lowered the speed limit to 60km/h temporarily because of the high volume of traffic right now. Lots of media still going out there, and of course people stopping to pay their respects.

They should have dropped it to 60km/hr 20years ago....

Humboldt Broncos captain Logan Schatz was remembered as a kind, hard-working leader at his funeral on Sunday in his hometown of Allan, Sask.

Schatz, a forward, was in his fourth full season with Humboldt, and had served the last two-and-a-half years as the team’s captain.

Team pastor Sean Brandow recalled how Schatz recently bought a coffee for a woman behind him in a drive-thru. The woman was able to get Schatz’s number and texted him to say thanks. He replied saying that it was no problem and thanked her for her work in the community.

Brandow also described Schatz as a winner who always thrived for greatness.

After his speech, Brandow walked up to Schatz’s parents — Bonnie and Kelly Schatz — who were wearing his Broncos jerseys, and gave them a hug.

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ing-held-sunday-for-parker-tobin-logan-schatz

12640BE1-70B4-42BE-A8E0-2E7EAEED0082.jpeg

Rest In Peace Logan Schatz

I think this wouldn’t be a bad idea at this junction. It is going to be interesting to see what happens about this road once the funerals have taken place. I hope locals and beyond put pressure on the authorities to get something done about it.

hmmmmm I don't disagree, BUT... if a red flashing stop sign isn't going to stop a truck from going through the intersection, I don't know if I 60 km/h sign would either.

After this temporary 60 km/h, I could see them lowering it to 80 km/h. That is more common on our highways, either going past small towns, or area's that require extra attention. They definitely need the rumble strips, that one should be a no brainer and shouldn't even be debated or have to be petitioned, just get it done.

gregjrichards ~ Thanks for continuing to post the links!

Bravo ~ so sorry for what you are going through :hug:

gregjrichards ~ Thanks for continuing to post the links!

Bravo ~ so sorry for what you are going through :hug:

No problem at all. I think it’s really important to remember the 16 people as individual people rather than a list of fatalities. All the victims were wonderful people who will be greatly missed by their loved ones and communities.

Hope it is ok to post this here. Here is a link to the petition to improve road safety at the accident site https://www.change.org/p/honourable...tm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition

Thank you to all of you for the support and kindness you have shown regarding this terrible tragedy. I am grateful we can come here and share our thoughts and feelings. It has been upsetting reading about the people who have tragically died. They were wonderful people and a tremendous loss. I am so sorry they are no longer with us and they never got the chance to live their lives and grow old.

Please post any information you have on how the injured are doing. I am so pleased the has raised so much money. I hope it is distributed as quickly as possible to the families to pay for the funerals and any costs the injured have.

I am in awe of how the hockey community and the public in Canada and around the world have rallied around the Humboldt Broncos. With the terrible cases we have here at Websleuths and the terrible conflict in the world you can sometimes wonder if there is any good left, but the tremendous response with acts of support and generosity has proved there is a lot of good in the world.

What is frustrating is that, if a year ago a Go Fund Me was set up to acquire say, $1 million, in order to upgrade that intersection so it was no longer a hazard, probably few would have donated, even though it could have saved 16 lives. But after the fact the money pours in.

What is frustrating is that, if a year ago a Go Fund Me was set up to acquire say, $1 million, in order to upgrade that intersection so it was no longer a hazard, probably few would have donated, even though it could have saved 16 lives. But after the fact the money pours in.

I share your frustration but I am not sure that one million would have been donated to upgrade the junction prior to this most recent tragedy. I wish something had been done when the family died there in the late 90s. I just hope and pray major upgrades are done to the junction and truck driver training and qualification is looked at so everything possible has been done to try and ensure this tragedy never happens again.

hmmmmm I don't disagree, BUT... if a red flashing stop sign isn't going to stop a truck from going through the intersection, I don't know if I 60 km/h sign would either.

After this temporary 60 km/h, I could see them lowering it to 80 km/h. That is more common on our highways, either going past small towns, or area's that require extra attention. They definitely need the rumble strips, that one should be a no brainer and shouldn't even be debated or have to be petitioned, just get it done.

I imagine it’s a provincial highway so I’m sure they will set up a commission to study it. Then they will think about it some more. Of course they need to take their time and do a thorough examination to see if the intersection is inherently dangerous. Let them take all the time they need, we wouldn’t want them to rush........

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TRussell
Back