Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You can read the article if you click on the FIRST headline. #65

JGB, I apologize. YOU posted the article first, and I did not acknowledge that. I made a rookie mistake and quoted Razz who had quoted YOU. My error. I blame my age lol.

For those of you just tuning in, here is the article JGB posted in #65....
Opinion | Adult child of Dundas arson murder victims a suspect in their killings
I am not sure why it is listed as an OPINION piece by the publication, as it cites quotes from LE. At any rate, it seems to pass muster for WS standards.

Last edited:
RSBM
Opinion | Adult child of Dundas arson murder victims a suspect in their killings
I am not sure why it is listed as an OPINION piece by the publication, as it cites quotes from LE. At any rate, it seems to pass muster for WS standards.
The author is a columnist at The Spec and so apparently all of her articles are called 'opinion' pieces, even when they are actually reporting. I don't think it is meant to convey that the article is merely an opinion. Hopefully we will hear more soon, crossing fingers!

This is the article cited above by Razz:

This is a quote from the article:

Seems strange that LE would not have found the lock box themselves, as the statement that they intend to pick it up from a neighbor implies a neighbor found it. Wonder what that is about?

Also, it seems to be a curious statement from LE that the POI is described as being cooperative with LE, but I suppose that makes sense, especially if the POI, who has also been outed by police as an adult child of the couple, is innocent. These are some puzzling aspects of this terrible crime.

Semantics, but from other cases we've seen, LE will sometimes say an individual is being cooperative, but will qualify that by saying that does not necessarily equate to truthful. Two cases that come to mind in that regard, the Audrey Gleave case in Ancaster, ON and the Deorr Kunz case in Idaho.

Recalling the Russell Williams case where he was being interviewed by Jim Smith ... cooperative as the day is long, but guilty as sin.

Semantics, but from other cases we've seen, LE will sometimes say an individual is being cooperative, but will qualify that by saying that does not necessarily equate to truthful. Two cases that come to mind in that regard, the Audrey Gleave case in Ancaster, ON and the Deorr Kunz case in Idaho.

Recalling the Russell Williams case where he was being interviewed by Jim Smith ... cooperative as the day is long, but guilty as sin.

That Williams interview by Jim Smythe was a classic. That's still probably the most fascinating video I've ever watched that gave me a glimpse into the psychopathy of a, well, psychopath. I might just have to go and watch it again. I'm always curious about what goes on in peoples' minds that allows them to do heinous crimes.

Richard Taylor, 42, has been charged with two counts of first degree murder in this case.

He is the eldest son of Carla, seemed to get along with his parents and is a teacher in Hamilton but resides in Oakville with his wife and two young children.

It was a financially motivated crime.

He was arrested near his place of employment on Jan. 23rd and will appear in court Jan. 24.

Police have nothing further to say at this point.

Global News dot com

Last edited:
Hamilton Spectator has a good article and a link to a Muskoka newspaper that has a picture of Carlas' sons with their Taylor Muskoka chairs.

The sons started a Muskoka chair company when their mother asked if they wanted a lot of baseball bats that were stored in her basement. They decided to make chairs/stools from them.

Perhaps the success of the chair company led to Richard (Rich) Taylor wanting to borrow money for this company. *speculation on my part*.

Seems the company was much more successful than imagined.

UPDATE: Hamilton teacher Richard Taylor charged in Rutherford double homicide

B88554806Z.1_20190124155142_000_GUEFL0VV.3-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

Victims of a house fire at 8 Greening Court in Dundas are Carla and Alan Rutherford. - FACEBOOK

"Richard Taylor was financially motivated when he set his childhood home on fire to kill his mother and her husband, allege homicide detectives.

Taylor, 42, was arrested Wednesday not far from Hess Street School where he is a teacher. Police stopped his vehicle on Barton Street, 15 minutes after the school let out.

"We knew the route that he would take," said Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk, the homicide investigator in charge of the case."

"Earlier, police investigated the possibility a hit man had been hired to torch the house, however, Bereziuk now alleges Taylor acted alone.

"We are not seeking any other individual in relation to this crime," Bereziuk said.

Taylor briefly appeared in court Thursday afternoon, his head shaved, with scruffy facial hair. He wore jeans and a light grey jacket. Taylor was represented by Hamilton defence attorney Vikram Singh, who asked for an adjournment until Feb. 7 when he will appear by video.

Taylor stared ahead blankly. He had no supporters in the courtroom."
rbbm.

Victims of a house fire at 8 Greening Court in Dundas are Carla and Alan Rutherford. - FACEBOOK

"Richard Taylor was financially motivated when he set his childhood home on fire to kill his mother and her husband, allege homicide detectives.

Taylor, 42, was arrested Wednesday not far from Hess Street School where he is a teacher. Police stopped his vehicle on Barton Street, 15 minutes after the school let out.

"We knew the route that he would take," said Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk, the homicide investigator in charge of the case."

"Earlier, police investigated the possibility a hit man had been hired to torch the house, however, Bereziuk now alleges Taylor acted alone.

"We are not seeking any other individual in relation to this crime," Bereziuk said.

Taylor briefly appeared in court Thursday afternoon, his head shaved, with scruffy facial hair. He wore jeans and a light grey jacket. Taylor was represented by Hamilton defence attorney Vikram Singh, who asked for an adjournment until Feb. 7 when he will appear by video.

rbbm.

I will never understand this kind of crime...killing loved ones for the sake of money.

While not closely comparable by any very long stretch, my husband's brother consistently took advantage of his parents financially. They regularly bailed him out as they were concerned for the well-being of their 3 grandchildren. Unfortunately, he would use that money to buy lots of new furniture, entertain, etc. He didn't use it to ensure the future financial stability of his children. Once my husband's parents passed away, he cut off association with his brother.

Some people are purely motivated by money and "stuff", so they can look successful. What they don't understand is that money and stuff has nothing to do with life success. So sad.

rbbm.
Another case with some resolution, thank goodness, but good lives taken and others changed forever, all for greed and nothing.

There is another article in the Hamilton Spectator about the alleged killer but there's also a pay wall. :(

Anyone know how to link the article? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Cannot access the Hamilton Spec. but this article posted just weeks prior to the murders, has many details and pics.
upload_2019-1-25_10-27-43.jpeg
About Us – Taylor Bros Chair Company
taylorbroschairs.com

upload_2019-1-25_10-27-43.jpeg

Jun 30, 2018 by Patti Vipond
Haliburton's rookie Muskoka chair company slides into the Big Leagues
"The eponymous Taylor Bros. Chair Co. broke even after its first year and hasn’t looked back.

So, why do two men with young families and good careers decide to reduce their precious free time by making and selling Muskoka chairs and stools? The tale is told on the Taylor Bros. Chair Co. website (www.taylorbroschairco.com), but bears repeating for its entrepreneurial spirit."

"While on lunch at work one day, Chris decided to go ahead and register Taylor Bros. Chair Co. as a business. Their choice of company name is fairly self-explanatory.

“There was no real ‘aha’ moment about the name,” says Chris. “We wanted something that was classic, almost vintage, so it was in character with the stuff we do. The logo is in old baseball script with a long tail and a baseball as the period for ‘Bros.’ A patient at my office who is a graphic designer did the logo and a friend set up our website.”

One of the first considerations for the new business owners was how to attach a baseball bat to a Muskoka chair.

“For the first chairs, we drilled holes into the barrel and the handle and used a longer screw on top,” explains Chris. “It turned out to be totally stable.”

Though the Taylors thought their main customers would be baseball fans or cottagers, their largest client group is corporate. Sports companies, sports organizations, golf courses and craft breweries order branded Muskoka chairs and stools. Company logos and custom designs are laser imprinted on backrests and stool seats. "

Well, I'm absloutely disgusted with this crime.
What possessed him to kill his mother and her husband in such a horrific manner? Was there a change in their wills? Drugs?

It seems beyond belief that he figured he would get away with this, especially with the video technology available these days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back