Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If any of the family members might end up as witnesses at the accused's murder trial for whatever reason, I know they wouldn't be allowed to sit in the courtroom at the trial until they had completed their testimony.. but I'm not sure if they would be allowed to attend these initial court appearances.. I would think some things might get said, that a witness should possibly not hear ahead of his/her testimony. Any of the family who wouldn't be witnesses, I would think would be free to attend - and I'm assuming they could visit him at his jail (unless they are on the no-contact list!). It will be interesting to see who will be supportive of him through this.

Thanks! I got a message about being verified. I sent an email to the email address asking for more info. It said to provide some info (my real name etc) and phone number with a good time to reach me at. I haven't heard back though... anyone know if anything else is required? I understand why it's necessary but don't know if I'd feel comfortable sending my drivers license or SIN number or something to someone I don't know lol...
Don't worry about sending your personal ID credentials to the powers-that-be here, they are professional and wouldn't disclose. You don't need to disclose your real name (unless you wanted to), and people here can still know you simply as canadian_sleuth.. so I hope you get verified shortly!

Thanks! I got a message about being verified. I sent an email to the email address asking for more info. It said to provide some info (my real name etc) and phone number with a good time to reach me at. I haven't heard back though... anyone know if anything else is required? I understand why it's necessary but don't know if I'd feel comfortable sending my drivers license or SIN number or something to someone I don't know lol...

AFAIK, you never give your SIN number to anyone!
Just my 2 cents worth.

Susan Clairmont@susanclairmont

Richard Taylor had a brief court appearance today by video. Faces two counts of first degree murder for allegedly setting fire to his childhood home in Dundas — with his mother and her husband asleep in their bed. No supporters in the courtroom. He’ll be back up Feb. 28. #hamont

Think there will be an update after his court appearance today? Hope someone attends

Who were you hoping would attend? He killed their parents and wrecked their lives, if you mean siblings/step-siblings.

I'm not sure I could ever support a killer within my own family.

And, there's a very long No Contact list.

Who were you hoping would attend? He killed their parents and wrecked their lives, if you mean siblings/step-siblings.

I'm not sure I could ever support a killer within my own family.

I took that to mean that the poster hoped someone from the media would attend to give an update on the case. It appears that Susan Clairmont was there but didn't have much to report on.

MOO

I'm not sure I could ever support a killer within my.

It could potentially be though, that some or all of the family members may believe in this guy's innocence? It doesn't seem likely, but it would at the same time, be hard to believe in most families, that your own sibling took out your mom, her husband, and your childhood home, not to mention not giving a care about the dogs. Even if the sibs weren't 'sure', they wouldn't want to probably appear to NOT be supportive, since.. what would happen then if it turned out he was not guilty? The relationships would forever be ruined. (I'm saying if he was not guilty of doing this, of course they would be ruined if he did do this.) So it will be interesting to see as we move along through the court process, who, if anyone, shows any support for this accused. If there is no support once things get rolling, that in itself would speak rather loudly in itself? Although, as mentioned, if he didn't do it, they'd never outlive the lack of support given. What a horrible situation for the siblings to be in. :(

The court has issued a very long list of people (under publication ban) that Richard Taylor is to not contact.

I'd imagine the family survivors are all on said list.

That would/should help them out of the scenario you point out, that if this is an error, it was the court who forbid them from speaking/supporting/ whatever else, the accused.

Yes, all round its a dreadful situation for everyone.

This case is back in court on Thursday.

Let's hope there's some sort of report although it may all be procedural.

Susan Clairmont‏Verified account @susanclairmont Mar 1
Susan Clairmont Retweeted *advertiser censored*
They are months, if not years, away from setting a trial date or a plea.
Susan Clairmont added,
*advertiser censored* @*advertiser censored*
Replying to @susanclairmont
Any update on when R. Taylor's trial was set for yesterday? And am I correct in assuming that since there was a motion for a trial date that R. Taylor has plead not guilty?
0 replies 1 retweet 2 likes

Susan Clairmont on Twitter

Kamille, will you be able to post from the Spectator?

Everything is behind a paywall, makes it very difficult to access without buying a lot of newspapers.

Thank you for posting this, good to know its moving along.

Hi JDG. I'm not subscribed to the paper. I'm having no trouble seeing it at the moment. They may have a maximum number of views before they ask you to subscribe. You can usually get around that by deleting your cookies each time you reach the maximum views. Perhaps you can try that? We can only post 10 percent of any article due to copyright laws. I'll post as much as I can, for as long as I can, in case deleting cookies doesn't work with the paywall.

The dying man said a name: the haunting case of a Hamilton couple's death by arson

HAMILTON—She doesn’t recognize the man standing on her darkened porch.

He is so badly burned it’s a miracle he’s alive.

Then he speaks.

Carla is still in there. Call 911.

Before he collapses, Alan Rutherford has one more thing to say. His dying words, as it turns out.

It was Rich. He did it for the money.

The dying man said a name: the haunting case of a Hamilton couple’s death by arson | The Star

TorontoStar on Twitter

Last edited:
July 8 was a sweltering Sunday night in the midst of a heatwave.

The previous week had been a good one for Carla and Al.

Four days earlier, Rich’s little ones had been there, splashing in the pool. Carla posted photos of the fun on Instagram. It was exactly the way summer vacation was supposed to be for kids.

Before they turned in for the night, Carla and Al left dirty dishes on the kitchen counter to be done later. They put the dogs in their crates in the basement. Then they crawled into the bed they shared in their small bedroom at the back of the house.

Hours later, about 3:30 a.m. on July 9, their bedroom erupted in fire.

Smoke and flames quickly filled the bedroom before breaking through the roof and stretching above the treetops. The raging inferno ate a hole through the bedroom floor.

Al scrambled out of bed and somehow managed to get outside.

He tried to go back in for Carla, and the dogs crated in the basement. He couldn’t get to them.

In the dark, he made his way to his next-door neighbour’s front porch. He pounded on the door, police have said.

When the neighbour answered, she didn’t know it was Al.

He had burns to 80 per cent of his body and was dripping blood.

“Melting,” was how one witness described him.

Carla is still inside the house, Al told the neighbour. Call 911.

He then said that one astounding thing:

It was Rich. He did it for the money.

Police and firefighters arrived within six minutes. Emergency Medical Services weren’t far behind.

Neighbours began spilling out of their homes in their pyjamas.

Police, told that Carla was trapped in the bedroom, tried to go in. But the fire was just too intense.

Firefighters went straight into the heart of the blaze to pull her body out before the roof collapsed. They tried to save her on the front lawn, but it was too late. Carla was dead.

The dying man said a name: the haunting case of a Hamilton couple’s death by arson | The Star

So did we know that Al had actually told the neighbour that Rich had set the fire? I don't remember discussing that. I guess we know why he was quickly arrested. How horrible is it that Al actually saw him in the act. Or even worse, may have spoken with him. :(

MOO

After investigators were finished with the scene, it was turned over to an insurance company. In September, a demolition crew tore down the remains of the house.

When the walls started coming down, grieving neighbours gathered to watch, drink wine and weep. It was an intimate and impromptu wake for their friends, weeks after the Rutherfords’ funerals.

At the end, after heavy equipment had piled up mounds of debris, the last vestiges of the Rutherfords’ life could be found among the rubble: The “8” address number from the front of their house; a Singer sewing machine; a red toolbox full of tools.

And a metal fireproof safe.

A worker noticed the box poking out of the rubble and climbed down from his machine to take a look.

Inside the box, he found a stack of papers.

It was a will. And Carla’s son Rich Taylor was the executor.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d2xresearcher
Back