Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I'm absloutely disgusted with this crime.
What possessed him to kill his mother and her husband in such a horrific manner? Was there a change in their wills? Drugs?

It seems beyond belief that he figured he would get away with this, especially with the video technology available these days.
The alleged perp had university degrees, a new successful business, a teaching job, a home in Oakville and last but not least, a wife and children.
What sort of person could allegedly burn his own sleeping mother to death?!

Cannot help but associate sticks of wood.... and fire. imo, speculation.

I guess there was no surprise here since one of the children has been the main suspect all along, other than it was the son himself and not a hired "hitman" who torched the bedroom. I'm confused about the financial motive though, considering it does not appear that he was down and out, and will wait patiently for more info as to why this son felt the need to murder his mother and stepfather for a portion of the estate. Such a horrible situation for the other children of Carla and Alan and for the immediate family of the alleged murderer. Money truly is the root of all evil....(sigh). :(

I guess there was no surprise here since one of the children has been the main suspect all along, other than it was the son himself and not a hired "hitman" who torched the bedroom. I'm confused about the financial motive though, considering it does not appear that he was down and out, and will wait patiently for more info as to why this son felt the need to murder his mother and stepfather for a portion of the estate. Such a horrible situation for the other children of Carla and Alan and for the immediate family of the alleged murderer. Money truly is the root of all evil....(sigh). :(
True, The love of money is the root of all evil, imo.
Wonder if it is a bit of a trigger for a first-born son, apparently named after his father - to see his mother in bed with another man, even if he was her current husband?
Complete speculation, imo.

I am not sure when they started up their business(?) - the only article I can see right now (which dotr linked above) was dated June 30, 2018, talking about how the biz started etc.
Quite impressive - because 'Rawlings' bought a bunch, using their own bats for the chairs, according to same article.....
so... to play in the bigger leagues, they would have required some capital... sounds like they would've needed a warehouse, perhaps machinery, perhaps some staff since how long could 2 professionals keep manufacturing and assembling the chairs all on their own?, and just simply funds to cover the purchase of supplies so they could even fill any potential large order... maybe their own dedicated shop, etc.
I noticed there is evidence of one funding campaign via indiegogo, (now closed, and I can't tell when it was started), which had only 4 funders for a total of $160 out of a desired $10,000 - but the funders were all from 'almost 3 years ago'. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, however I will ask a mod since the 'funding' aspect is relevant to the motive in this case.

PS their website has been taken down.

I just can't stop thinking about the murder suspect's brother/partner and how this will affect him. Of course the other siblings and Rich's wife and children.

There was no one in court supporting him during his appearance.

Taylor briefly appeared in court Thursday afternoon, his head shaved, with scruffy facial hair. He wore jeans and a light grey jacket. Taylor was represented by Hamilton defence attorney Vikram Singh, who asked for an adjournment until Feb. 7 when he will appear by video.

Taylor stared ahead blankly. He had no supporters in the courtroom.

He was ordered to have no contact with a long list of people. A publication ban was placed on the proceedings.

Hamilton teacher Richard Taylor charged in Rutherford double homicide

Thanks for the link Snoopster.

I really dislike these publication bans, do not fully understand why they are so common these days.

A lot of their SM has been removed or altered since the arrest. Understandable.

I am very curious to find out how Rich turned the bedroom into an inferno without getting burnt himself.

I also figured the "long" no contact list included his family members. But they'd still be able to attend court if they wanted, right?

Thanks everyone. I've been on WS before when I followed Tori Stafford and Tim Bosma. It's been awhile.

I'm okay just sort of preoccupied with it. <modsnip - not verified>

Last edited by a moderator:
I also figured the "long" no contact list included his family members. But they'd still be able to attend court if they wanted, right?

Thanks everyone. I've been on WS before when I followed Tori Stafford and Tim Bosma. It's been awhile.

I'm okay just sort of preoccupied with it. <modsnip - not verified>.

I would imagine they're all in shock at the moment and for some time to come.

Not sure I'd want to go to court for the initial procedural stuff.

Maybe for the double murder trial? later on.

Right at the beginning, it was said that the Carla and Alan would have been terrified when they awoke. I wonder if Rich was in the bedroom with them when he started the fire. Seems he used an accelerant, so he meant to kill.
As you say, can't fathom the evil.

<modsnip>

Welcome canadian_sleuth!
Your insight is going to valuable to this thread!
Please consider becoming a verified insider so that your posts can carry the weight of someone who knows “stuff” without having to provide links is MSM to prove it.
Thanks for being here!

I guess there are lots of general questions about this case.

According to the school board, Rich Taylor taught grade2/3 OR he was a librarian/gym teacher/audio video person.

They said he was put on 'home assignment' whatever that means, then they said that that didnt matter as he was in jail.

I wonder if a teacher still gets paid if they're in jail long term and if they can draw from their 'sick days' when accused of double murder. The taxpayers still have to pay that person??

Perhaps they do get their pensions/sick pay/holiday pay etc due to a strong union and 'innocent until proven guilty'.

I hope as they move through the legal procedures, we get some answers to these general questions.

Personally, if there is pay due him, I hope his wife gets it to care for herself and the children.

I will certainly be glued to the news reports on this case.

Welcome canadian_sleuth!
Your insight is going to valuable to this thread!
Please consider becoming a verified insider so that your posts can carry the weight of someone who knows “stuff” without having to provide links is MSM to prove it.
Thanks for being here!

Thanks! I got a message about being verified. I sent an email to the email address asking for more info. It said to provide some info (my real name etc) and phone number with a good time to reach me at. I haven't heard back though... anyone know if anything else is required? I understand why it's necessary but don't know if I'd feel comfortable sending my drivers license or SIN number or something to someone I don't know lol...

My coworkers and I are all speculating how his pay works.

I know I'm not verified yet but hope I can share as a teacher how our sick days work. Teachers get 2 personal days (can be used for whatever, but supposed to get approval from principal if attached to a holiday, otherwise everyone would take them attached to holiday/long weekends), 11 sick days, then after those 11 are used up there is something ridiculous like 120 days payable at 90%. You put your absence in online and when I've logged on I see a couple other options too (e.g. funeral, jury duty). However, after 5 consecutive days away sick, you have to provide a doctors note. So I'm not sure how he'd get that... he is probably limited to the jail doctor unless his family doctor visits him?? How does seeing a doctor work while in jail?! And would a doctor be willing to write him off for some time? The note wouldn't have to give a reason, just a legit doctors note saying he's unable to work for x amount of time and given to HR.
The board will hold someone's position for 2 years (or maybe 3 years) - whether paid or unpaid - before giving it up as a permanent job. So right now there is a long term person in his job (supply teacher, not permanent).

My coworkers and I are also trying to figure out what "assigned to home instruction" means lol because he is not at home. I don't even know what home instruction looks like. Inputting data or something?
We had our report cards due on February 1 (Friday) and curious if Rich did his. Doubt he would have a laptop in jail?

Any speculation on what his next court appearance will be? I believe it's sometime this week, by video, and an "adjournment". I'm hoping there's some kind of development (like a guilty or not guilty plea), or will it likely be just a brief appearance where they put it off again??

Personally, if there is pay due him, I hope his wife gets it to care for herself and the children.

I've been thinking about his family too... I hope they would get their bills and needs taken care of. I guess a big factor would be if they had a joint bank account or not. And if they do, and one or the other takes a name off. Could get very messy. I'm curious to see if any of his family DON'T turn their backs on him...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WavyTJackson
Back