Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Let me help folks sort that out ... they are all sorta correct ..... haaaa

1 kilometer is 1000 meters so 1/2 km is 500 meters.

1 kilometer is .62 of a mile so 1/3 of a mile (from the house) is also reasonable

Now to be absolutely precise the creek is due south of the house and not quite 1/2 km away ..... but if the boy was found a bit to the east or west it could explain the difference.

Our whole country is surveyed and laid out in square miles as can be seen on the maps .... but our convoluted government decided to go metric years ago and in their bureaucratic thinking the country is now laid out in 1.60934 km squares and news media are forced to report in metric.

Most Canadian people still talk and think in square miles the way the land was originally surveyed.

That being said .... the boy was found in the creek about 1/3 to 1/2 mile south of the house.

Which of course is roughly 1/2 a kilometer if you work for the government. God help us.

Thanks, Arnie M, for the metrics math lesson for us mph-fps-inches-feet-yards-miles-pints-quarts-gallons-mpg only speakers, for the most part, who are down here in the lower 48. We're so in love with "our way" (some of us, that is) that we don't even seriously learn a foreign language in which to be fluent, and so on & on. Also thank you for your metric-bashing tongue-in-cheek diatribe. We needed a bit of a tension easer... :)

Something woke me up early, first thing I did was check this thread :(

Fly high little Chase, may your family find the strength to carry on in this heartbreaking time :rose:

I will agree that that might be the case in rural areas, but I can assure you that my young adult children don't think that way. They think in kilometers. It's just us old fogeys, who were raised as young'uns on the yards/mileage system who cling to it.

The one thing that hasn't gone metric across all age groups in Canada is height. No one talks about how tall they are in centimeters. It's simply feet and inches.

OK, there are two things that haven't gone metric....everyone in Canada talks about their weight in pounds. Although we have to talk in grams when ordering meat at the deli! We are one tormented, confused group!....halfway between those damn stubborn Americans and the rest of the world!

ETA: Pardon my glib comments in this post...but I needed to lighten things up on this very sad day.

And this damn stubborn American thanks you for it :) We did need a lift, and between you and Arnie M, I had to smile and laugh. Yes, we need a bit of lightness.

And by the way, I weigh 8.57143 stones. Whaddya think of that?!

Stones, ack!! The very idea. Did the Brits not bestow that burden on you? :D

Thanks, you two!
icon11.png

Yes I agree, it should be common knowledge. I was thinking more of something that would stand out in people's minds, like the stories of these families told in a video format. And to provide more ideas on how to keep boys safe such as GPS bracelets etc.

I don't think the focus should just be on boys. I've known some girls who were "runners" as well. Kids this age just don't know any better. My son is obsessed with cars. If I didn't keep a tight grip on him, he'd run into traffic. It's terrifying. He doesn't understand the danger yet.

I agree with you Amy. I felt their sincere, debilitating grief at their presser, my heart broke.(it broke all of our hearts, because we sensed true remorse) There will be most likely, a lot of judgement on why Chase was out and about by himself at such a young age... But, I can guarantee, these parents will be beating themselves up... I feel for them, deeply.

I can't even imagine having to live with this forever. It makes me a little sick to my stomach. I pinched my son's finger in a door once by accident (he was fine) and I felt so horrible about it. And that wasn't even a big deal really. So yeah...I can't even fathom it.

Asked to elaborate on what a high probability area is... = bodies of water, culverts, creeks, etc.
GSAR uses tools such as math formulas to determine what the high probability areas are. You can Google it. It's fascinating. The individuals that volunteer for GSAR are highly trained and dedicated. They train in Brandon at the fire college.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

GSAR uses tools such as math formulas to determine what the high probability areas are. You can Google it. It's fascinating. The individuals that volunteer for GSAR are highly trained and dedicated. They train in Brandon at the fire college.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I know. I was just reiterating what was being said at the press conference.

"But he was found just 500 metres away from his home after three days of underwater searches."

So sad. Just hearing the news.

This happens so many times that they end up finding the person in areas that have already been searched. I think what this should help teach us for the next unfortunate situation is that we have to go over areas multiple times.

Different people see things others miss. I suppose its human nature that not everyone will look as carefully as the next person or that some people may be moving too fast while looking. If the pace of the searching is too quick then our eyes can only scan so much as the pace moves.

So I think we can learn from this to double back and search areas over again. Double and triple check the same areas.

Just so terribly sad.

Just wanted to add one other thing about ice cold water that I experienced and could have come into play here. The point is that when water is icy cold like it would have been then it does not have to be over your head to kill you. Especially a young boy. If he fell in and even if he managed to sit up then I suspect the shock of the cold water immobilized him.

When water is very cold like it was it has a shock effect on the body where you feel like you cant even breath. The poor boy may have been shocked from the water and may have not been able to move.

I once stepped in a creek by accident and it was around 5 degrees Fareignheight outside. I got both feet wet and I could not believe what a shock it was how cold the water was. Both feet were numb in a matter of minutes. I literally could not feel my feet by the time I got back to the car which was only a short ways away. It made me think how dangerous it would have been if I could not get out of the cold in a hurry.

So when temps are cold we have to be very careful around water. It doesnt have to be over your head to get you in serious trouble real fast.

Just trying to learn from this horrible tragedy. Bless the parents to have the strength to handle this tragedy.

I am absolutely heartbroken for this family. I know that they must be devastated, and will be plagued for a long time by "what ifs." No parents should ever have to go through that.

It is so distressing that this KEEPS ON HAPPENING. We see it here again and again at Websleuths, and the public became briefly aware because Noah Chamberlin's case spread so far, but for the most part it feels like something more needs to be done to keep these boys safe. Because it always seems to be boys aged 2-3.. some sort of public service announcement or campaign warning parents to be extra vigilant and not to leave boys alone at this age for any length of time? Maybe even some sort of social media campaign? Something needs to be done.

This is a great idea. I think it should be for any child girl or boy and some sort of public service announcement is a great idea.

We have had a lot of children die from being left in hot cars and drowing in pools and lately we have seen kids walking off on their own and succumbing to the elements.

A public service announcement of some sort may be a great idea. It may help remind us that we need to be vigilant at all times.

They have those announcments that are meant to shock us about not smoking and not doing drugs. Maybe its time for one to be created to help remind us to be vigilant at all times with young children.

Its so terribly sad this story. It makes us want to turn the clocks back and save that boy. This is so heartbreaking. :(

This is a great idea. I think it should be for any child girl or boy and some sort of public service announcement is a great idea.

We have had a lot of children die from being left in hot cars and drowing in pools and lately we have seen kids walking off on their own and succumbing to the elements.

A public service announcement of some sort may be a great idea. It may help remind us that we need to be vigilant at all times.

They have those announcments that are meant to shock us about not smoking and not doing drugs. Maybe its time for one to be created to help remind us to be vigilant at all times with young children.

Its so terribly sad this story. It makes us want to turn the clocks back and save that boy. This is so heartbreaking. :(

If the human race hasn't figured out by now that children need supervision, I believe a public service announcement will do as much good as the "shock" about not smoking or doing drugs. The last thing we need is more laws and/or punishment for people who don't supervise their children the way other people think they should. Accidents happen, always have/always will. More laws simply take away more freedom and I, for one, am not willing to give up another free inch because my way of raising children may not agree with yours.

:cow:

If the human race hasn't figured out by now that children need supervision, I believe a public service announcement will do as much good as the "shock" about not smoking or doing drugs. The last thing we need is more laws and/or punishment for people who don't supervise their children the way other people think they should. Accidents happen, always have/always will. More laws simply take away more freedom and I, for one, am not willing to give up another free inch because my way of raising children may not agree with yours.

I didn't say anything about new laws at all?

Confused why you even brought that up?

Im thinking a simple TV commercial public service announcement as a reminder to people. Wouldn't hurt IMO. Some people need reminding.

Sadly depending on how quickly Chase got to the water and ended up in the water and drowned there was really no time to save him from drowning. Someone would of had to have been right there and seen him go into the water and get him out straightaway in comparison to him wandering around lost around the property which was still very dangerous the longer it takes to find a little one in those temperatures/conditions and also depending on how long it would of taken to find him as well.
I know here in Australia there have been quite a few drownings on farms where a toddler has taken off and later found drowned in the dam on the property. It's all very sad, and little ones are very quick to just take off even if you lose sight of them for just a few minutes.

Sadly depending on how quickly Chase got to the water and ended up in the water and drowned there was really no time to save him from drowning. Someone would of had to have been right there and seen him go into the water and get him out straightaway in comparison to him wandering around lost around the property which was still very dangerous the longer it takes to find a little one in those temperatures/conditions and also depending on how long it would of taken to find him as well.
I know here in Australia there have been quite a few drownings on farms where a toddler has taken off and later found drowned in the dam on the property. It's all very sad, and little ones are very quick to just take off even if you lose sight of them for just a few minutes.

Totally agree.

That bank was steep and with the ice cold water he likely perished soon after hitting the water. Even if searchers had found him that night it was probably too late.

Its like you say someone would have almost had to have been there and pulled him right out after he went in in order to save him.

Totally agree.

That bank was steep and with the ice cold water he likely perished soon after hitting the water. Even if searchers had found him that night it was probably too late.

Its like you say someone would have almost had to have been there and pulled him right out after he went in in order to save him.

Since that was the place Chance and his dad frequented to cut wood, maybe that IS the first place the parents checked - maybe even before calling 911. He may have already drowned by that time. I think Chance might have been able to get there in the 15 minutes he was out of sight plus whatever time it might have taken his parents to get to the same place. :(. I doubt they'll ever know.

Chase Martens vigil remembers toddler, comforts grieving family
Dozens of people gathered Sunday evening near creek where Chase was found

As part of Sunday's vigil, as many as 40 people walked seven minutes down a muddy trail to the creek where the toddler was found. Toys and stuffed animals were placed in the trees, and Chase's parents embraced.

A member of Winnipeg's Bear Clan Patrol sang a travelling song for Chase while mourners stared out onto the icy creek.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-chase-martens-autopsy-1.3508724

RCMP confirm Chase Martens died of drowning
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/chase-martens-drown-manitoba-toddler-1.3509336

I was the one who originally suggested this. Of course every parent is free to supervise their children how they see fit. But I am thinking that any person who was out there searching for Chase for four days in the bitter cold would be extra vigilant with their own children because of what they had experienced. I wish there was some way to convey that sense of urgency to others, which is why I suggested a campaign. Maybe that was not the right way to put it.

A while ago I watched a video that came through my Facebook feed on texting and driving. It was told by a man who had struck and killed a family of Amish people while sending a text while driving. I think of his story any time I am tempted to pick up my phone in the car.

I just thought if we could share the stories of these families somehow, it would help.

The people who don't supervise their children are likely not going to be bothered by new laws or campaigns anyway. Lost cause, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett
Back