Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From your link:

The searchers who found the body were volunteers from Winnipeg, Paquet said, and that resources would be available to provide them with counselling. :heartbeat:

Yeah, I can't imagine how difficult that would have been for those particular volunteers.

Hugs.

It is kind of strange that his dog didn't follow him.

Was it LE that was carrying him out on the stretcher? Kind of seemed like it was volunteers. I would have thought that he would be left where he was found for LE.

I'm sure it is just a tragic accident. But it would be nice to see some pictures and hear the opinion of the Searchers who searched that creek already.

They can look at the photos they took with the drone earlier in the week. They may see him in the pictures.

Poor little gaffer. :-(

Heartbroken for all who loved Chase and those who came to search and those who prayed.

We have not been told but its possible his little body sank after drowning and then surfaced. That location was suspect and they kept revisiting for a reason and I am guessing that might have something to do with it being watched and rechecked multiple times. That and the changing water levels.....JMO

I've been at a family wedding all day in the Peak District. No phone reception, no wifi. I was hoping for good news and desperate to check in when I got home :( I'm so sorry little dude. Fly high :rose:

from the press conference...

" Our investigators have spoken with the family -- mixed feelings obviously. an answer, yes, but probably the answer they did not want to get."

Global has aerial video of the search at the bottom of this page, footage taken Wednesday and Thursday.

It does show water and gives a pretty good indication of how far that little guy walked to get to the creek. Pretty far for a 2 year old.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2601687/body-of-2-year-old-chase-martens-found-after-5-day-search/

It has been said that Chase was found just over 1/3 mile from his home. That's not very far for a two-year-old to travel, based on previous cases. IMO

"But he was found just 500 metres away from his home after three days of underwater searches."
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/26/search-for-chase-martens-enters-day-4
That was incorrect information. Chase was found in a creek just over 1/3 mile from his home.

Let me help folks sort that out ... they are all sorta correct ..... haaaa

1 kilometer is 1000 meters so 1/2 km is 500 meters.

1 kilometer is .62 of a mile so 1/3 of a mile (from the house) is also reasonable

Now to be absolutely precise the creek is due south of the house and not quite 1/2 km away ..... but if the boy was found a bit to the east or west it could explain the difference.

Our whole country is surveyed and laid out in square miles as can be seen on the maps .... but our convoluted government decided to go metric years ago and in their bureaucratic thinking the country is now laid out in 1.60934 km squares and news media are forced to report in metric.

Most Canadian people still talk and think in square miles the way the land was originally surveyed.

That being said .... the boy was found in the creek about 1/3 to 1/2 mile south of the house.

Which of course is roughly 1/2 a kilometer if you work for the government. God help us.

My heart hurts. Chase, so many people were searching and hoping. Bless you.

I am so sorry this family is experiencing absolutely the worst day ever. My prayers are with them and little Chase.

Global has aerial video of the search at the bottom of this page, footage taken Wednesday and Thursday.

It does show water and gives a pretty good indication of how far that little guy walked to get to the creek. Pretty far for a 2 year old.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2601687/body-of-2-year-old-chase-martens-found-after-5-day-search/

Excellent (thank you) .... just so folks know there are 2 videos at the bottom of the page and shows rescuers on ice floes , moving ice floes etc.

Those are the kind of searchers who get things done .... and from what I have heard they are all volunteers who are dedicated to finding missing people and are well trained and practice regularly

Meanwhile the multi-million dollar official SAR likely took the long weekend off.

Should also praise all our local unpaid Volunteer firemen who prepare and self train on a regular basis and drop everything to help when it is needed. Very seldom do those good folks get the microphone so that is why I speak out today.

Let me help folks sort that out ... they are all sorta correct ..... haaaa

1 kilometer is 1000 meters so 1/2 km is 500 meters.

1 kilometer is .62 of a mile so 1/3 of a mile (from the house) is also reasonable

Now to be absolutely precise the creek is due south of the house and not quite 1/2 km away ..... but if the boy was found a bit to the east or west it could explain the difference.

Our whole country is surveyed and laid out in square miles as can be seen on the maps .... but our convoluted government decided to go metric years ago and in their bureaucratic thinking the country is now laid out in 1.60934 km squares and news media are forced to report in metric.

Most Canadian people still talk and think in square miles the way the land was originally surveyed.

That being said .... the boy was found in the creek about 1/3 to 1/2 mile south of the house.

Which of course is roughly 1/2 a kilometer if you work for the government. God help us.

I will agree that that might be the case in rural areas, but I can assure you that my young adult children don't think that way. They think in kilometers. It's just us old fogeys, who were raised as young'uns on the yards/mileage system who cling to it.

The one thing that hasn't gone metric across all age groups in Canada is height. No one talks about how tall they are in centimeters. It's simply feet and inches.

OK, there are two things that haven't gone metric....everyone in Canada talks about their weight in pounds. Although we have to talk in grams when ordering meat at the deli! We are one tormented, confused group!....halfway between those damn stubborn Americans and the rest of the world!

ETA: Pardon my glib comments in this post...but I needed to lighten things up on this very sad day.

That is a HUGE creek! So heartbreaking.

I lived in rural Manitoba for 15 years - 10 of those years on a farm overlooking a river. We had a number of streams nearby that fed into the river.

As you can tell from the video referenced in this article - Chase Martens’ body found after 5 days, no sign of foul play: Manitoba RCMP - the creek he was found in is huge. That's because it is an early spring and the snow is melting. All the melting snow from the surrounding fields drain into these creeks which then will drain into larger bodies of water (rivers, etc.). IMO, this is the most dangerous time of the year for animals and children because the ice on the rivers/creeks is deceiving - you may think you can walk on it but it's too thin and will crack. I'm not saying that is what happened to Chase, but I will say that you have to be extra careful with your dogs and with small children.

I imagine that in the summer, that creek has very little water in it, but can get quite flooded if there are torrential rain storms, etc.

Okay ....just had to clarify something here....there is a picture circulating *have to go look back to the news source for it*....the picture of the SARs carrying the litter out of the bush? That is NOT SARs carrying Chase....that is a picture of the SARs carrying an injured volunteer out of there on Friday.......check picture 48 of 62 in the gallery here:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/03/26/search-for-chase-martens-enters-day-4

with this caption:
"Responders carry a litter with an injured search and rescue volunteer out of the bush near Austin, Man., on Friday, March 25, 2016. An overnight snowfall is making the search more difficult volunteers who continue a search for 2-year-old Chase Martens, who went missing from his family home Tuesday evening. THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Woods"

I lived in rural Manitoba for 15 years - 10 of those years on a farm overlooking a river. We had a number of streams nearby that fed into the river.

As you can tell from the video referenced in this article - Chase Martens’ body found after 5 days, no sign of foul play: Manitoba RCMP - the creek he was found in is huge. That's because it is an early spring and the snow is melting. All the melting snow from the surrounding fields drain into these creeks which then will drain into larger bodies of water (rivers, etc.). IMO, this is the most dangerous time of the year for animals and children because the ice on the rivers/creeks is deceiving - you may think you can walk on it but it's too thin and will crack. I'm not saying that is what happened to Chase, but I will say that you have to be extra careful with your dogs and with small children.

I imagine that in the summer, that creek has very little water in it, but can get quite flooded if there are torrential rain storms, etc.

I agree about the spring melt and thin ice issues.....TOTALLY.

I volunteer with a Lost Dog Recovery group here in Maine and we deal with exactly the same issues.

My heart is broken for this family and community. I wish I could turn back the clock for them.

I am absolutely heartbroken for this family. I know that they must be devastated, and will be plagued for a long time by "what ifs." No parents should ever have to go through that.

It is so distressing that this KEEPS ON HAPPENING. We see it here again and again at Websleuths, and the public became briefly aware because Noah Chamberlin's case spread so far, but for the most part it feels like something more needs to be done to keep these boys safe. Because it always seems to be boys aged 2-3.. some sort of public service announcement or campaign warning parents to be extra vigilant and not to leave boys alone at this age for any length of time? Maybe even some sort of social media campaign? Something needs to be done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back