Found Deceased Canada - Chase Martens, 2, Austin, MB, 22 March 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chase-martens-missing-boy-austin-manitoba-1.3503775
Live
Searchers for missing Manitoba boy break into Amazing Grace
Anyone with information is asked to immediately contact their local police department

Winnipeg's Bear Clan Patrol is also getting involved, sending four of its best trackers to join in the search.

"If they find a footprint or something like that they'll know what to look for. These guys are experts, they're bush guys, they'll know what to do," said James Favel who heads up the group, which usually conducts patrols and searches in Winnipeg's North End.

As soon as the group's members heard about the boy — and the overnight temperatures — they knew they had to help, Favel said.

Austin is located about 120 kilometres west of Winnipeg, between Brandon and Portage la Prairie.

Global WinnipegVerified account ‏@globalwinnipeg 3m3 minutes ago
"It's to early to say at this point if foul play is involved." The latest on the search for Chase Martens. http://on.glbn.ca/exQYLL

Don't LE usually start off with "foul play not suspected at this time"? The RCMP comment sounds more like honest speak. They simply don't want to discard any theories and they admit it.

CanadianWells, thank you for all your updates.

Congratulations on your soon to be new addition. :baby:

C'mon little guy, we are all rooting for you- please be found, safe and sound!

Please let this little guy come home safe, prayers for the family and the searchers

Sad that another little one is missing, most likely took a walk by himself. The woods and grass look so dead still, hoping his red hat makes him stick out. I heard it was a farm like area. As always hoping people check their cars, storage areas, anything else a little toddler might get curious about and crawl in.

Canadianwells, regarding RCMP's very direct wording when addressing the possibility of foul play, is that wording the norm for them? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“Our officers are asking a lot of different questions to a lot of different people
The search continued Wednesday morning near Austin, Man. with people combing through fields, woods and brush as well as two planes, horses and ATVs.
"We are looking for anything and everything out of the ordinary — something that makes your Spidey sense go 'this might be relevant,"' he added.

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/RCMP-searching-for-missing-two-year-old-boy-373211451.html?utm_content=bufferf6a52&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

BBM

Interesting wording.

Gah! Sometimes I get really frustrated with the amber alert criteria. Is there any evidence it was a parental abduction? I haven't seen any... If not, then how is a missing 2 year old in that cold not a critical, time-sensitive case? �� I'm about to have a 2 yo and a newborn, and these cases are starting to make me doubt the sanity of that. Please let him be found!!!

I'd guess it's because there is no evidence that he's been abducted, he's too young to have run away and the likelihood is he is within a couple of miles of home. There's nothing to alert an entire state/region about - no car, no adult. And if anyone spotted a small child alone you'd hope they wouldn't need an amber alert to take action.

I know people get very up-in-arms about amber alerts here but remember we're a unique group. I've seen so many people commenting on news articles, forums etc that they're fed up with amber alerts waking them up or being so frequent. They need to be used carefully, when there is a genuine reason to get a huge number of people informed, or you risk fatigue.

I'd guess it's because there is no evidence that he's been abducted, he's too young to have run away and the likelihood is he is within a couple of miles of home. There's nothing to alert an entire state/region about - no car, no adult. And if anyone spotted a small child alone you'd hope they wouldn't need an amber alert to take action.

I know people get very up-in-arms about amber alerts here but remember we're a unique group. I've seen so many people commenting on news articles, forums etc that they're fed up with amber alerts waking them up or being so frequent. They need to be used carefully, when there is a genuine reason to get a huge number of people informed, or you risk fatigue.
These are very good points, and you're so right. Pretty sure I read a whole bunch of articles, etc. about people being angry and annoyed and complaining about amber alerts recently. Thanks!

Yeah, Ive never understood that. AmberAlert criteria per their official page states that "AMBER plans require law enforcement to confirm an abduction prior to issuing an alert." By the time they find out it IS an abduction, too much time is lost. You have the best chance of recovery in 24-48 hours. These are just statistics regarding abduction. They should go on the grounds of "Plans require a child be at risk for serious bodily harm or death before an alert can be issued" and ditch the confirmed abduction part. JMO.

Source:
http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

Maybe there is something we WSers can do. As I understand the Amber Alert is was designed specifically for abduction and a vehicle had to be described. This would justify the billboards and radio announcements?

There is plenty of good reason to enhance the AA to include young children in immediate danger. Especially this particular case where LE is asking people to be on lookout on a highway. Maybe someone here could start a thread with this intent, to enhance the AA.

Come home safe little Chase.

Canadianwells, regarding RCMP's very direct wording when addressing the possibility of foul play, is that wording the norm for them? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont quote me on this, I'm no expert, but I do find that RCMP and Canadian police in general tend to be more tight lipped and to answer questions more succinctly than US police, leaving me feeling more in the dark and less likely to try to interpret anything they say. That's just IME and IMO. While I was watching the presser, the quote was in response to a question regarding whether or not foul play was suspected, and he answered the question in the same manner as all the others, basically 'we don't know.' I took it more as him repeating it in the same wording it was asked, in order to prevent any kind of interpretations. Given the context and the way he answered everything, I personally didn't take much from it. But I wouldn't bet anything on my own opinion.

Wunderground.com says yesterday's low was -6.8C, however they have the current temp at -4.8C, and all the other sources say -9, soooo... That may not be accurate. It's the only thing I could find for yesterday though. I think 5-10 degrees below zero C is a safe bet.

Do 2 year old play outside by themselves in that kind of weather? I can't even imagine!

Snippets.
http://www.cp24.com/news/rcmp-in-rural-manitoba-searching-for-missing-boy-2-1.2829766

"We've often solved cases similar to this with very minute pieces of information."

Paquet said the search for Chase includes more than 300 volunteers and officers, firefighters, police dogs, the Winnipeg police department's helicopter and an RCMP plane.

"We are looking for anything and everything out of the ordinary -- something that makes your Spidey sense go 'this might be relevant."'

He suggested anyone who wishes to help at this point should pray.

RCMP ManitobaVerified account ‏@rcmpmb 51m51 minutes ago
#rcmpmb want to thank everyone who is searching for Chase Martens. We
currently have enough resources. Please do not attend the scene.

I wish I didn't read this part. I wonder why they don't want more searchers, there must be a reason that I don't understand.

So many two year old boys missing in the woods lately. I hope this little one is found safe soon.

I wish I didn't read this part. I wonder why they don't want more searchers, there must be a reason that I don't understand.
I know that with the Noah Chamberlin case the volunteers became a detriment at times. If people don't know the area or what they're doing they can get lost, hurt, or mess up the area for those who know what they're doing. Inexperienced and untrained volunteers need to be supervised, and they probably have so many people there right now that they can't supervise any more of them, which means people could be milling around trampling tracks or requiring resources they simply don't have. This is just what I've heard following other cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back