CANADA Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mistysues is studying DNA - looking forward to that source for info. I've stated where mine comes from. CBR Laboratories is the the same lab that developed the test, modified it and conducted the test under Canadian court scrutiny in order to ensure a fair and accurate profile.

A cassette tape and DVD can contain the same info - you cannot extract that info by mixing the two. Each source requires the corresponding player.

Woodland, I have provided links (academic and not, that can be sourced) Can you provide links/sources (preferably published) so that the rest of us can see the info you are relying on for your claims. You continue to refute what I am saying, I would ask respectfully that you read the info I provided, also consider the research that you are relying on is outdated.

The sequence of letters and numbers changed in 1997 after it was realized how little of our DNA makes us unique. This sped up the technology to copy DNA - not possible until 1997. The RCMP have confirmed the 1995 test cannot be entered into the National DNA Database - I invite anyone to ask them. The name of the test is here.
Please provide resources for this claim. Especially the change in sequence of letters and numbers as this is false information.

I would welcome confirmation on this issue. I'm sure - so would many others. The future resolution of this case hangs on it. What kind of confirmation would settle this issue for everyone? And, how can we get it?

I would ask that everyone read through the links I have provided. Think about it, if what Woodland is saying were correct we would have never been able to clear GPM as the DNA was pre 1997 (although nothing has been offered to substantiate this)

Woodland- you said in a previous post that you were corresponding with the RCMP via email in regards to DNA, can you post the contents of the RCMPs response?

Sorry Mistysues, your links do not provide the info you said you would look into - which is, when the ability to copy DNA began. That is the key. The killer stays free pending the ability to read and compare the 1995 profile in a meaningful way.

Will have to have my e-mail from the RCMP scanned in order to post. In the meantime, what does your research show on the early history of DNA? That is the only question here.

I'm having a few doubts on more of the claims here - why would you rely on me to tell you the status of DNA when you have your own resources - according to you?

The sequence of letters and numbers changed in 1997 after it was realized how little of our DNA makes us unique. This sped up the technology to copy DNA - not possible until 1997. The RCMP have confirmed the 1995 test cannot be entered into the National DNA Database - I invite anyone to ask them. The name of the test is here.--

Woodland how did the RCMP verify this??

J/Murphy - the RCMP know what their equipment does and doesn't do. They answered a simple question. The answer was no we cannot enter such a test.

It's tough to be wrong, but sometimes we are.

I have no doubt you have researched DNA Woodland, however it seems that you misunderstood the information you read, I suggest respectfully that you check your facts. :)

One final item from me on the 1995 DNA profile - it needs to be kept in perspective and not skewed so people have the ability to rationalize what happened to that particular test. Why were they down to their 'last worm' as Bob Jessop phrased it?

The sequence of letters and numbers changed in 1997 after it was realized how little of our DNA makes us unique. This sped up the technology to copy DNA - not possible until 1997. The RCMP have confirmed the 1995 test cannot be entered into the National DNA Database - I invite anyone to ask them. The name of the test is here.

It can't be entered because it is the equivalent of trying to play a cassette tape in a DVD player.

The answer to your questions Woodland is 1985

The History of PCR
(RU 9577)

Background

The Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) technique, invented in 1985 by Kary B. Mullis, allowed scientists to make millions of copies of a scarce sample of DNA. The technique has revolutionized many aspects of current research, including the diagnosis of genetic defects and the detection of the AIDS virus in human cells. The technique is also used by criminologists to link specific persons to samples of blood or hair via DNA comparison. PCR also affected evolutionary studies because large quantities of DNA can be manufactured from fossils containing but trace amounts.

The database requires PCR-STR. Mistysues - one of your posts quotes the name of the test used in 1995. Ask the RCMP if they can enter that test into the database - maybe you will receive a response before I can scan and enter mine.

Throwing out various info is not a focused effort - lots of things happened between the time Christine was abducted and the DNA profile produced. One needs to relate the info - the kid needs a break.

I gotta think Neale Tweedy is lhao.

Dedpanman - would like to now focus on your recent proposition for continued discussion.

The database requires PCR-STR.
Woodland STR is a location on the DNA string and is amplified using PCR. You are incorrect. Every profile has STR regions. How many of these are tested increases identification.

Dedpanman - the study you quote is an interesting overview of child abductions.

I use the term overview as I'm disheartened by the fact that the mode of killing is not covered, specifically how long did the killers spend torturing, killing and mutilating their victims?

Is that because it's a rare occurrence? If it's rare, then there is something unique about Christine's case.

Not much of what happened to Christine fits into that study, imo.

Can you add or clarify anything?

DNA is a very complex field. Misconceptions are likely among non profesionals. Prior 1995 the dna testing profile produced did not match the then newly developed codis data base.

see- fbi standardization tests and dates-
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/forensics.shtml

This was a case solved by retesting an older dna sample circa 1995.

Introduction

In 1990, a series of brutal attacks on elderly victims occurred in Goldsboro,
North Carolina, by an unknown individual dubbed the "Night Stalker"

When DNA analysis was conducted on biological evidence collected from
vaginal swabs from each victim, authorities concluded that the same perpetrator
had committed all three crimes. However, there was no suspect.

For 10 years, both the Goldsboro Police Department and the crime laboratory
refused to forget about these cases. With funding from the National Institute of
Justice, the crime laboratory retested the biological evidence in all three cases
with newer DNA technology and entered the DNA profiles into North
Carolina's DNA database. This would allow the DNA profile developed from
the crime scene evidence to be compared to thousands of convicted offender
profiles already in the database.

In April 2001, a "cold hit" was made to the perpetrator's convicted offender DNA profile in the database. When confronted with the DNA evidence, the suspect confessed to all three crimes.

In 1995 when GPM was compared against the then newly retested dna, that newer profile is compatable with the newer data base. That is my understanding.

What may not be comparable is the dna taken and tested(if it was) from suspects prior to 1995. That is not comparable with the new data base.

That is my understanding. The names of all the tests and the the types of profiles developed can be traced and verified.

DNA is a very complex field. Misconceptions are likely among non profesionals. Prior 1995 the dna testing profile produced did not match the then newly developed codis data base.

see- fbi standardization tests and dates-
http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/elsi/forensics.shtml

This was a case solved by retesting an older dna sample circa 1995.

In 1995 when GPM was compared against the then newly retested dna, that newer profile is compatable with the newer data base. That is my understanding.

What may not be comparable is the dna taken and tested(if it was) from suspects prior to 1995. That is not comparable with the new data base.

That is my understanding. The names of all the tests and the the types of profiles developed can be traced and verified.

The point is that they do have a profile and can match it. (This is the comment that started the debate on the DNA and I stand by it.)

The point is that they do have a profile and can match it. (This is the comment that started the debate on the DNA and I stand by it.)
I believe that was what was being asked. How do we proceed from here and possibly match a new suspect if evidence pointed at one now. It is possible imo..

added- Also suggests the real perp is not in the sysytem.

I believe that was what was being asked. How do we proceed from here and possibly match a new suspect if evidence pointed at one now. It is possible imo..

added- Also suggests the real perp is not in the sysytem.

I agree that it suggests the real perp is not in the system but they may have a criminal record as only some crimes in canada require dna samples.

Dedpanman - any update on the traditional method of killing a child that has been abducted?

Correct. Some has postulated any one committing a crime like this was likely to have priors or sex related crimes since.

Not sure what tweady and all the laughing is about. I thought we were supposed to find links and evidence to answer the question whether a new poi could be tested now. Scientific evidence would maybe help?

Even if not all markers were present as in some older or inconclusive tests. They are still of value when used in comparison against a singular suspects dna profile only, but not against an entire data base. There are various ways of looking at what is possible in dna comparisons.

Barlow’s main point of contention was statistics. Generally, juries in cold-hit cases are told to rely on FBI estimates when weighing the odds of a coincidental match between crime-scene DNA and the accused. When all thirteen markers are intact, these odds can be as slim as one in many trillions. In Puckett’s case, where there were only five and a half markers available, the San Francisco crime lab put the figure at one in 1.1 million—still remote enough to erase any reasonable doubt of his guilt. The problem is that, according to most scientists, this statistic is only relevant when DNA material is used to link a crime directly to a suspect identified through eyewitness testimony or other evidence. In cases where a suspect is found by searching through large databases, the chances of accidentally hitting on the wrong person are orders of magnitude higher.

from-
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2010/1003.bobelian.html

Difficult to find stats regarding how a child was killed but I am still looking. Heres some interesting info as well that can provide guidance regarding the person who murdered CJ.

http://www1.csbsju.edu/uspp/CrimPsych/CPSG-6.htm

Addendum: Nonfamily Child Abductors Who Murder Their Victims

Nonfamily child abductions have a low rate of occurrence
However, they are highly publicized and tend to overwhelm most communities’ local police force.
This is a study of nonfamily child abductors who murdered. The information was gathered from interviews with incarcerated offenders, and reviews of criminal, medical, and psychological records.

Previous Research

Vast majority (97%) male
Mostly white
Usually young adult (mean age 27)
Female killers in this category are nearly nonexistent

Method

Interview process
Three main criteria

victim was less than 18 years old
offender was convicted of murder
victim was abducted by the offender

25 child abductors who murdered participated

Results

Gender: All offenders were male; females did abduct, but none killed

<modsnip> cont. at the link

Cool. Still no data though on killers spending time ripping their victims apart. For what purpose?

Markers need to be apples and apples - one does not have to like that fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77