Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I didnt know that. Just goes to show that seasoned hunches and gut instincts are not always right, contrary to some egos. Is there a link I could read about that?

I loved reading Kirk Makin's book (Redrum) when it came out. Until reading it, I had suspected Morin, thanks to media. I can't imagine the realm of emotions Morin, as well as CJ's family, must be experiencing with this news. Such incredible technology! So glad it is no longer a question mark.

LE are just as likely as others to allow bias to muddy the facts. Morin was considered guilty by many cops not just the ones investigating the murder because he was considered 'odd'. He didn't fit the mold of a mid twenties man: he lived at home, he grew flowers and raised bees, ergo: weird.

Steven Truscott was considered guilty for years by some LE officers even after his exoneration. And a relative of Lizzie Tomlinson, a young girl murdered in the early 80s in Toronto was zeroed in on as LE's prime suspect because he hung around with children. He was mentally handicapped. These are cases I was very familiar with because I lived in Toronto during all these cases.,

Cheryl Hanson

Cheryl Hanson was wearing a gold necklace when she disappeared. Christine Jessop was found with an intact necklace and a hair was found tangled in it.
There was pictures posted of Christine's necklace in much earlier WS posts that are no longer available.
Christine being found with an "unbroken" necklace always struck me a strange. JMO

• was it hers??? CJ I mean...was it hers?

Who was Calvin Hoover? The man Toronto police say killed 9-year-old Christine Jessop in 1984

October 16, 2020

"Global News learned that Hoover and Heather divorced and Hoover married a woman from Welland in 2004. The two were married and lived in Watertown before she died in 2009.

"in December 1996, Hoover was convicted of impaired driving and was fined $800 and lost his license for a year. At the time he was living in Ajax.

Global News also learned that Hoover was living in Port Hope on a rural property in 2015 when he died, from asphyxiation. His son who was away at the time came home to find his father hanging in the garage. Hoover had taken his own life.

According to land documents, the ownership of the Port Hope property was transferred into his son's name at some point"

Last edited:
Good point! Guy Paul Morin was financially compensated, but he has lived under a cloud since the arrest. It is in the interests of justice to clear his name by releasing the name of the actual murderer.

It's also important because there are 30 years where he could have committed additional similar crimes, and anyone who knew him might have information that could solve other crimes.

So true ..... just as an innocent child was a victim of Hooper .... an innocent man (Morin) was also harmed by our justice system . I find that most frightening . I have become fond of Morin through the years .... he remains composed and never expresses hatred or anger , just relief to be exonerated .

I also share your thoughts about Hooper ... maybe Christine was a one-time spur-of-the-moment victim and afterwards he was so repulsed by it he never did it again .... If his was an underlying sexual deviation ... those things do not go away ... and like you said , there may be more victims in last 30 years.

Hopefully a lot of similar cold cases get dusted off to see if there are any links to him.

Who was Calvin Hoover? The man Toronto police say killed 9-year-old Christine Jessop in 1984

October 16, 2020

"Global News learned that Hoover and Heather divorced and Hoover married a woman from Welland in 2004. The two were married and lived in Watertown before she died in 2009.

"in December 1996, Hoover was convicted of impaired driving and was fined $800 and lost his license for a year. At the time he was living in Ajax.

Global News also learned that Hoover was living in Port Hope on a rural property in 2015 when he died, from asphyxiation. His son who was away at the time came home to find his father hanging in the garage. Hoover had taken his own life.

According to land documents, the ownership of the Port Hope property was transferred into his son's name at some point"

ADD: video, property was bought for 2$, video of Port Hope and Ajax

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...-s-killer-revealed-veteran-reporter-1.5765227

"Thursday's announcement that police have identified nine-year-old Christine Jessop's true killer still leaves many unanswered questions, says a veteran justice reporter who wrote a book about the decades-old case.

"The prime one is, why was this man not a suspect? What was his alibi? What investigative steps did they go about trying to confirm his alibi?" said Kirk Makin, who worked for the Globe and Mail from 1979 to his retirement in 2013. He is the author of Redrum the Innocent.

"And why, after [Guy Paul Morin] was exonerated and there was a reinvestigation, why did they not go right back at [the real killer]? Why were hundreds of other people DNA tested in that reinvestigation, but he apparently wasn't?"

?: They lived right next door?
KJ: No, no, they lived in Toronto.
We lived in Richmond Hill when we first met them and then we moved to Queensville.

So it seems he did not live in the neighbourhood, but drove a fair distance to their house that day, because he had learned from his wife that Christine would be alone? And yet, he knew the area well enough to, probably, have picked out the crime scene.

IMO, no wonder he wasn't suspected by police.

It's interesting that all the pieces fell into place after her brother knew the suspect. It explained why her coat was hung too high for her to reach, why her recorder was missing, why there was no sign of struggle, how the suspect knew that Christine was alone and that she wanted to visit her father.

The issue that resonates with me is that Calvin Hoover was a close family friend. His wife worked with Christine's father. His wife knew that her husband was unaccounted for during the time that Christine disappeared and the time it took to drive 50km (30 miles), viciously assault Christine, and drive home. He would have been out of sorts when he returned - behaving somewhat different from other days. He would have returned to a community searching for Christine, but he probably went home and cleaned up.

Christine's mother would not have noticed because she was singled mindedly looking for her daughter. How did Hoover avoid all suspicion? I'm actually curious whether he was involved in pointing the finger at another neighbour: Guy Paul Morin?

I feel as if the wife had to know.

Christines body was found near a trailer, and the occupants had just closed up their trailer up for the season that Thanksgiving. Canada Thanksgiving is usually the second week of October, which is still a couple of days after Christine went missing. It wasn't until December 31st, almost two months later that she was found. The occupants that owned that area had stated they would have 100% seen a body there as it was laid out on a path.
This means that this body would have been stored somewhere for at least a week. Maybe removed from the home due to Thanksgiving?

When they found Christine, her teeth were stained pink which indicated drowning, and she had a lot of suspected superficial cuts and some stab woulds found near her ribs. Im sure as heck that a child being cut and stabbed would have made noise, unless they had another property close by? I don't know what to make of that information, but I'm sure the truth will come out.

Last edited:
So it seems he did not live in the neighbourhood, but drove a fair distance to their house that day, because he had learned from his wife that Christine would be alone? And yet, he knew the area well enough to, probably, have picked out the crime scene.

IMO, no wonder he wasn't suspected by police.

Richmond Hill is part of Toronto, and Queensville is about a 30 minute drive away. I suspect that he had visited the Jessop's with his wife and knew where they lived in Queensville, or looked up their address.

Last edited:

October 16, 2020

ADD 2: video @2:04 shows road sign of Tragunna Lane, Ajax
Image of Port Hope property @1:54

Last edited:
ADD 2: video @2:04 shows road sign of Tragunna Lane, Ajax

Holy poop!

I'm literally shaking. I grew up on Kings Cr, and my best friend lived on Tragunna Lane. It's a townhouse co-op with many kids present. I would ride my bike there almost every day by MYSELF during the years of 1995-2003 when she moved away; in fact, I was Christines age in 1995. So incredibly scary that my mom was terrified of me talking to strangers because of the Christine Jessup case, and here I was riding my bike near his house..... wow, I need a minute.

Last edited:
Richmond Hill is part of Toronto, and Queensville is about a 30 minute drive away. I suspect that he had visited the Jessop's with his wife and knew where they lived in Queensville, or looked up their address.
Oh yes, he could approach her as a family friend and she would trust him and get in his car.
Chilling.

Hoover not only drove to Queensville to get Christine, just after 4pm (if memory serves me correctly)...he also drove another almost 50 km further northeast to Concession 4 and Simcoe Rd...where Christine’s body was found weeks later.
So it would have taken him around and hour and a half to get back home.
Did he do this all in one night? Well then, it was a late night for him...how did his alibi pass the police?
How the hell did he account for his whereabouts to the police..he obviously couldn’t have anyone to vouch for him.

I’m so upset to know this coward was right in front of their noses.

I also recall the unsolved murder of Debbie Silverman...I feel that was a different killer...but odd she was buried in a shallow grave close to the highway....someone had nerves of steel....

It is terrible that so many people were affected by this unnecessary crime. Hopefully you and others can begin to heal and hopefully we can rescue other cold cases in similar predicaments.

Just fantastic news all around. For the present and the future.

My question is this, if you don't mind; What would be the "cost" of an undertaking like this, where the DNA sample is already in the possession of the police? Ball-park figure, of course. Thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of dollars? I feel like this is the kind of thing I would like to donate to if I had the funds to do so, and it also seems like it would be considered cost-prohibitive to some police departments. I know my local police department has 4 sets of unidentified remains, and at least one they have a DNA sample for. What a dream to be able to answer 25% of the cities "unidentified" mysteries!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14