Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad that Christine Jessop's killer has been identified. I watched a Crime Beat episode a few months ago where it was reported that police were using genetic genealogy to try to solve this case:

Publicly naming Jessop's killer is a different response by Canadian authorities than in the Ljubica Topic case, 1971 in Windsor, Ontario that was solved last year w/ genetic genealogy.

CANADA - Canada - Ljubica Topic, 6, Windsor, Ont, 14 May 1971

In the Topic case authorities didn't release the perpetrator's name, stating that he had died. Outrageous. Makes me wonder if they are sharing Calvin Hopper's name in part b/c of the miscarriage of justice done to Guy Paul Morin.

Condolences to the Jessop family and also thinking of Morin.

I hope authorities release a timeline of Calvin Hopper's movements, where he lived, where he traveled. Can't imagine Jessop was his only victim. Scared to think about how many children this man may have targeted, abused, killed. Terrifying

Good point! Guy Paul Morin was financially compensated, but he has lived under a cloud since the arrest. It is in the interests of justice to clear his name by releasing the name of the actual murderer.

It's also important because there are 30 years where he could have committed additional similar crimes, and anyone who knew him might have information that could solve other crimes.

Here's a though for ya... Cheryl Hanson vanished 10 years before Christine Jessop. Calvin Hooper would have been about 18/19 at the time. I wonder where that guy was at and what he was doing when that kid went missing?

That's close by. We need a running list of other missing girls in the area from when he was 17 or 18 until he died.

Good point! Guy Paul Morin was financially compensated, but he has lived under a cloud since the arrest. It is in the interests of justice to clear his name by releasing the name of the actual murderer.

It's also important because there are 30 years where he could have committed additional similar crimes, and anyone who knew him might have information that could solve other crimes.

RBBM,

It is also true that the murderer of Ljubica Topic in Windsor in 1971 may also have committed similar crimes prior to and after her death, but before his own. It is well known that most sex-based murderers start off with lower level crimes such as child molestation (for child killers), rape etc. They tend to progress up the scale.

The perpetrator of her murder also needs to have his name and photo released in the name of justice. The fact they have failed to do so in an attempt to not "upset the applecart" that is the murders' own family makes ZERO sense. How do they determine if he may have been involved with rapes, child molestations, possibly here-to-for unreported crimes if no one knows who he is!? Just like Christine's case is seeking info about.

IIRC, there were also publicly named suspects in her case ... some of them probably now deceased, but possibly not her murderer. What about clearing their names, once and for all, for their remining family members? Horrific.

Rather, my thoughts are what the heck is the Windsor Police Service covering up? WHO are they covering up for? Why are they covering up? Was the perpetrator a rich guy? An Officer? A politician with some pull? What?

There needs to be a demand of Windsor Police Services to ante up that photo and name ... in the interests of JUSTICE for any un-known victims. As a Canadian, it's disgusting to me that they haven't released this information to date.

Last edited:
The Hoover and Jessop familes were close.

Hoover's suicide happened after police might have spoken to him in 2015. That would be one reason that his DNA was retained.

"Kenney Jessop, who himself was once suspected of being the killer, said that Hoover makes sense as the murderer.

He said Hoover’s wife, Heather, was very close with his mother, Janet Jessop, and worked as a receptionist alongside his father, Bob Jessop, at Eastern Independent Telecom. The families spent time at each other’s homes for birthdays and barbecues.

Kenney said Toronto police came across Hoover’s name in the Jessop cold-case file in 2015, following up with an interview.

It wasn’t long after, he said, that Hoover died by suicide. (Police said Thursday his death did not involve foul play.)

Toronto police say Hoover was never interviewed by them."​

Christine Jessop’s brother explains his theory about her abduction after police identify the killer in her 1984 murder

Last edited:
Christine Jessop's killer helped in search, attended funeral and wake, family says
October 16, 2020

MA, criminologist suggests an expanding investigation,
ie accomplice in crime, accessory, other victims.

Mrs Jessop:

"She said she felt "relieved but confused" about the news adding that she remembered Hoover to be "a quiet chap."

It took me all day yesterday and it still is a bit this morning. It's unbelievable why, which you'll never know now. You try to piece things but you can't. I can't piece things together anymore as to what happened. I've got to get on with life."

Last edited:
I have been googling since yesterday and also can't find the obit. I grew up in their area and have always been bothered by this case. I had a friend with the last name Hoover from the area as well and now wondering if she was related (I hope not). So far I can't find anything of any of them online.... very weird.

Christine Jessop's family express relief now that they know who killed the nine-year-old girl 36 years ago - CHCH

October 16, 2020
Video, Mrs Jessop and KJ

"We were friends, we saw a fair amount of him socially and they had two boys and all the kids would go and play together."

?: They lived right next door?
KJ: No, no, they lived in Toronto.
We lived in Richmond Hill when we first met them and then we moved to Queensville.

?: what was the relationship like with them after your sister's death and disappearance?

His wife couldn't do enough to help out with the family.
Like I said he was out searching in the fields, supportive. ...

?: Were your families friends for a while after than, even?

KJ: I believe so, ya. For a couple years atleast, and then you know people lose touch over time. People move, you know. Jobs change.

Last edited:
Looks like there are a number of girls/women who could be related to Hoover.

Cheryl Hanson - York Regional Police

Cheryl Hanson

Cheryl Hanson was wearing a gold necklace when she disappeared. Christine Jessop was found with an intact necklace and a hair was found tangled in it.
There was pictures posted of Christine's necklace in much earlier WS posts that are no longer available.
Christine being found with an "unbroken" necklace always struck me a strange. JMO

Rather, my thoughts are what the heck is the Windsor Police Service covering up? WHO are they covering up for? Why are they covering up? Was the perpetrator a rich guy? An Officer? A politician with some pull? What?

@Vern I completely agree w/ you & had the same suspicions on the Topic case. Hope that the release of Hoover's name will pressure Windsor and other police departments in Canada to do the same.

Last edited:
We love being part of the community and we are all truly grateful for everyone's support.

Like everyone else , I extend my gratitude for your work .... I imagine it can be a very tedious occupation mixed with bursts of huge excitement and reward when cases are solved.

I am curious if this case used relatives (other family) DNA to narrow it down to Hooper ..... or did you have access to Hooper's DNA (autopsy vial)

If you cannot answer directly , a few hints would be appreciated ... sometimes we are good at "reading between the lines"

Like everyone else , I extend my gratitude for your work .... I imagine it can be a very tedious occupation mixed with bursts of huge excitement and reward when cases are solved.

I am curious if this case used relatives (other family) DNA to narrow it down to Hooper ..... or did you have access to Hooper's DNA (autopsy vial)

If you cannot answer directly , a few hints would be appreciated ... sometimes we are good at "reading between the lines"

It is a good question. Othram had no access to any evidence other than the crime scene. The confirmatory work was performed by the Centre for Forensic Science in Toronto. It is important that the work was done this way. There were two labs that used two approaches and provided data that led the Toronto Police Service to the same conclusion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/christine-jessop-mother-1.5765537

36 years after Christine Jessop's murder, her mother speaks about finally getting 'closure'
October 16, 2020

"Her mind wanders back to the wake after her Chrissie had been laid to rest, a house full of people and then that scream.

It was a man's voice outside, yelling in anguish and guilt. Jessop mistakenly believed it was her neighbour Guy Paul Morin and tragically, that would help pave the way toward his wrongful conviction for Christine's murder.

Now she believes it must have been Hoover.

"Where was he?" She asks. "My guess is that he was outside in the dark."

Last edited:
Assuming it's the right obit, just google Hoover's name and you'll find it. No mention of wife or children, so presumably they had split up. (Odd that the grandkids weren't included, but maybe he'd severed ties with both wife and his own family.) Or, Jessop could be confused - it was a long time ago, and he was young.

is it Calvin's obit or his father's?
if it's Calvin's, I believe it can be linked here
I can't find it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads