Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 *killer identified* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if the family of CH were able to delete his obituary the morning before the news broke, if they were given a couple hours advanced notice of the announcement by TPS.
Personally I don't believe it's possible to get rid of something that quickly once it's on the Internet. It certainly makes one wonder why his family wouldn't have published one, imho. He seemed to have garnered a lot of sympathy from others when his second wife died in 2009, when his kids were presumably also listed in her obit.. I wonder if something happened between then and 2015. OTOH I suppose it is also becoming more common for people to not want an obit and service. Jmo.

Personally I don't believe it's possible to get rid of something that quickly once it's on the Internet. It certainly makes one wonder why his family wouldn't have published one, imho. He seemed to have garnered a lot of sympathy from others when his second wife died in 2009, when his kids were presumably also listed in her obit.. I wonder if something happened between then and 2015. OTOH I suppose it is also becoming more common for people to not want an obit and service. Jmo.
I've forgotten now, is his second wife's obit on this thread somewhere? Just wanted to peek at it, thanks.

Horrible, all of it! I believe I read the other day that LE is seriously looking into all the region's past cases to see if there are any other connections between Christine's murderer and others who were killed. As they of course should do.
Yes, it will be interesting to see if they find a connection to any other cases. There were other cold cases I read about which happened further away from the area that fit his MO. I wonder if he ever traveled for business. I think it was mentioned that Christine's father traveled as part of his job, and apparently they worked together.

It's hard to believe that a crime like this was a one time occurance.

Where was the evidence that she rode her bike to the store? I don’t think anyone saw her with her bike that day. On the contrary:

(xv) Robert Atkinson - Atkinson’s Evidence
On October 3, 1984, Robert Atkinson and his friend Doug Thompson were commuting to their work at a manufacturing plant in Holland Landing, a village approximately six miles away from Queensville. Their shift was to commence at 4:30 p.m. They were proceeded east on the Queensville Sideroad. They stopped at the stop sign at the corner of Leslie Street and Queensville Sideroad for approximately two to three minutes to allow the heavy traffic on Leslie Street to pass.

I don't know if this is a typo, but Holland Landing is west of Queensville, so if Atkinson was on Queensville Sideroad heading east, as the quotation states, he was heading away from his workplace, not heading toward it. So I wonder if he meant west, not east. I was just at that intersection 20 minutes ago bringing my son home from work except now there are lights, not a stop sign.

I wonder if the family of CH were able to delete his obituary the morning before the news broke, if they were given a couple hours advanced notice of the announcement by TPS.
Maybe, since there was no wife, his kids just chose to cremate him or whatever and didn’t bother posting an obituary. Not everyone gets one. Who knows what kind of a dad he was or what their finances were. They may have dealt with him quickly and quietly, possibly no funeral and no obituary. Perhaps they couldn’t afford to or maybe they didn’t want to.

I hope this isn’t too far off track—but what made it possible for GPM to be tried again after an acquittal—is that actually what happened?

ADMIN NOTE:

Christine's brother KJ is not on trial here. He was a minor himself, is considered a victim, and should not be vilified. He has spent 36 years of his life trying to help find out who killed his sister.

Posts disparaging him will not be tolerated, and any member doing so will be permanently banned from this discussion.

I’m glad to see that you stepped in sillybilly.

I’ve spent many hours in the past, online with Kenny...and with the recent announcement of Hoover’s guilt, I feel nothing but relief for him and his parents...at least they know who.
I can’t imagine their torment though, now, knowing it was a friend/coworker...and really seeing how the cops blew this case right from day one.
Kenny’s mom had talked on the phone to Hoover’s wife that morning....how hard did the cops investigate that family?
they couldn’t have...where the hell did the wife say HOOVer was all evening? What was his alibi for that night?
He lived in Toronto...that is not that close to Concession 4 and Simcoe...over an hour drive home.
He picked up Christine sometime after 4pm...what time did he get home... and why wasn’t he at work at that time of day?

Where was the evidence that she rode her bike to the store? I don’t think anyone saw her with her bike that day. On the contrary:

(xv) Robert Atkinson - Atkinson’s Evidence
On October 3, 1984, Robert Atkinson and his friend Doug Thompson were commuting to their work at a manufacturing plant in Holland Landing, a village approximately six miles away from Queensville. Their shift was to commence at 4:30 p.m. They were proceeded east on the Queensville Sideroad. They stopped at the stop sign at the corner of Leslie Street and Queensville Sideroad for approximately two to three minutes to allow the heavy traffic on Leslie Street to pass.

I don't know if this is a typo, but Holland Landing is west of Queensville, so if Atkinson was on Queensville Sideroad heading east, as the quotation states, he was heading away from his workplace, not heading toward it. So I wonder if he meant west, not east. I was just at that intersection 20 minutes ago bringing my son home from work except now there are lights, not a stop sign.

The quote is from the Kaufman Commision report at Canada: Kaufman Commission - Guy Paul Morin - Evidence of "screams"

I hope this isn’t too far off track—but what made it possible for GPM to be tried again after an acquittal—is that actually what happened?

The Crown appealed the not-guilty verdict that acquitted GPM so there was a second trial which found him guilty. Some testimonies were proven to be deceptive after an enquiry into the evidence because they didn’t want to see GPM acquitted a second time.

Executive Summary - Report of the Kaufman Commission on Proceedings Involving Guy Paul Morin - Ministry of the Attorney General

It must be a typo as is the poor grammar of the sentence
They were proceeded east on the Queensville Sideroad.

But since details do matter it is interesting to see a glaring error appear in so important a document.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Based on Kaufman report one of the people living nearby did date the screams heard at night to October 4th (day after Christine's abduction). He based the date on his life events as he missed work that day due to late partying. Maybe he was wrong but it's still a point to think about.

We still don't know the whereabout of Hoover on that day I would expect his wife to remember because I am pretty sure Janet would have called close people out of desperation (even those living in toronto) to find Christine. That day would be for sure memorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted in the Audrey Gleave thread, but since we’re talking about other cases possibly linked, I’d like to remind those here of the Audrey Gleave case. Audrey lived about 30 kms from Waterdown at the same time that CH was living in Waterdown (Potentially). It’s a stretch, but shouldn’t be completely ignored.

While there is a lot of blame to be pointed at Durham and York back then, it's worth noting that these police forces didn't even have homicide departments back then. It's why they treated it as a missing person's case and partially explains why evidence wasn't protected at the home etc.

I posted in the Audrey Gleave thread, but since we’re talking about other cases possibly linked, I’d like to remind those here of the Audrey Gleave case. Audrey lived about 30 kms from Waterdown at the same time that CH was living in Waterdown (Potentially). It’s a stretch, but shouldn’t be completely ignored.
You’re right. He did live close. Although “close” to one might seem far to another. I’m not an expert on killers, so I’m wondering if anyone knows, would a person who is into little girls, also be interested in an older woman?

LE mentioned the possibility in these DNA connected case, that the perp may have committed suicide. Cannot help but think of these murdered women in Toronto, each of whom had recently moved into the residences where they were murdered. One woman had apparently just returned from Leith, Ont. (speculation) when she was attacked.
Complete speculation, imo, fwiw
CANADA - Canada - Susan Tice, 45, & Erin Gilmour, 22, Toronto, Aug & Dec 1983

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14